Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Stan Brown
Dick, here is a batch file I use to save and restore my GnuCash settings
and reports, for transferring them between machines.  You'd need to
change my file names and paths to yours, but still it could save you
some time.

If you don't want to be elaborate as I am -- my batch files tend to be a
bit over-engineered -- just look for the "reg" lines. Those are the ones
that save or restore the settings and reports.

> @set MYECHO=echo off
> @%MYECHO
> set RZIPNAME=_stanReports.zip
> set GFILNAME=_stanSettings.reg
> setlocal
> set MYNAME=%@name[%0]
> if "%1" ne "/?" .and. "%1" ne "-?" .and. "%1" ne "" goto 000_Start
> echo off
> echo.
> echo %MYNAME: Save or restore GnuCash settings
> echo.
> echo options:
> echo     /q     Quiet
> echo     /v     Verbose
> echo     /purge Delete saved log files (used with "save" or "apply")
> echo     save   Save settings
> echo     apply  Apply saved settings
> echo     purge  Delete saved log files.
> echo Just one of 'save', 'apply', 'purge' is required.
> echo.
> echo Settings are saved in %GFILNAME and %RZIPNAME, in the same
> echo folder as the GnuCash accounting file.
> quit
> ********************************************************************************
> 2018-02-25  new program
> 2018-03-21  Add the purge option.
> 2018-03-31  With 'purge', suppress error message if there are no files ...
> 2018-04-01  ... and also delete GnuCash files in %TEMP%.
> 2018-04-18  Add /purge as an option, used with "save" or "apply".
> 2018-05-05  Program didn't abort after an an unknown option.
>
>     Copyright 2018 Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems  http://oakroadsystems.com/
> ********************************************************************************
> :000_Start
>
> :: Scan the options.
> set ACTION=none
> set PURGING=0
> set VERBOSE=1
> do while "%1" ne ""
>     iff %1 == save .or. %1 == apply .or. %1 == purge then
>         iff %ACTION ne none then
>             echo %MYNAME: Only one of 'save', 'apply', purge is allowed.
>             cancel
>         endiff
>         set ACTION=%@lower[%1]
>     elseiff %1 == /q then
>         set VERBOSE=0
>     elseiff %1 == /v then
>         set VERBOSE=2
>     elseiff %1 == /purge then
>         set PURGING=1
>     else
>         echo %MYNAME: Unknown option '%1'.
>         cancel 2
>     endiff
>     shift
> enddo
> iff %ACTION == none then
>     echo %MYNAME: You need one of 'save', 'apply', or 'purge'.
>     cancel
> elseiff %VERBOSE == 2 then
>     echo %MYNAME: Plaanning to %ACTION the %@if[%ACTION == purge,files,settings].
>     echo.
> endiff
>
> :: Check existence of files and folders.
>     set GDIR=e:\sb\$\GnuCash
> iff not isdir "%GDIR" then
>     echo %MYNAME: Financials folder '%GDIR' not found.
>     cancel
> elseiff not exist "%GDIR\Stan.gnucash" then
>     echo %MYNAME: File Stan.gnucash not found in '%GDIR'.
>     cancel
> endiff
> set RDIR=%USERPROFILE\.gnucash
> set RZIP=%GDIR\%RZIPNAME
> set GKEY=HKCU\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash
> set GFIL=%GDIR\%GFILNAME
> iff %VERBOSE == 2 then
>     echo %MYNAME: Financial database is in folder '%GDIR'.
>     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are in folder '%RDIR'.
>     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are zipped in file '%RZIP'.
>     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are in '%GKEY'.
>     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are exported to file '%GFIL'.
>     echo.
> endiff
>
> iff %ACTION == save then
>     if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
>     iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
>         echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
>         cancel
>     endiff
>     pushd "%RDIR"
>     set ZIPOPT=
>     set OPTS=-r -T -o
>     if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
>     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>     zip %OPTS "%RZIP" *
>     @%MYECHO
>     @echo.
>     popd
>     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>     reg export %GKEY "%GFIL" /y
>     @%MYECHO
>
> elseiff %ACTION == apply then
>     if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
>     iff not exist "%GFIL" then
>         echo %MYNAME: Registy export file '%GFIL' not found.
>         cancel
>     endiff
>     iff not exist "%RZIP" then
>         echo %MYNAME: Reports ZIP file '%RZIP' not found.
>         cancel
>     endiff
>     iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
>         echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
>         input /c /k"yYnN" /l1 Create it?^  %%X
>         echo.
>         if %X == N cancel
>         md "%RDIR"
>     endiff
>     set OPTS=-uo
>     if %VERBOSE == 0 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
>     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>     unzip %OPTS "%RZIP" -d "%RDIR"
>     @%MYECHO
>     @echo.
>     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>     reg delete %GKEY /f
>     @echo.
>     reg import "%GFIL"
>     @%MYECHO
>
> elseiff %ACTION == purge then
>     gosub PurgeAction
>
> else
>     echo %MYNAME: Internal error: %%ACTION = '%ACTION'
>     cancel
> endiff
> quit
>
> :PurgeAction
>     set OPTS=/R /E
>     if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=/T %OPTS
>     echos %MYNAME: purging ... ``
>     del %OPTS %GC\*.gnucash.20* %TEMP\gnc-report*html;gnucash*log
>     return


--
Regards,
Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Norbert Klein-2
Thanks, Stan,

for sharing your work with all.

But it only makes me feel sorry - I am a non-programmer user of GnuCash :-(

I still hope there will be - some time in the not too distant future - a
program which can be used also by a non-programmer to move a well
working GnuCash system from one Widows 10 computer to a new Windows 10
computer.

Still not giving up hope.

Norbert


On 13.7.2018 5:29, Stan Brown wrote:

> Dick, here is a batch file I use to save and restore my GnuCash settings
> and reports, for transferring them between machines.  You'd need to
> change my file names and paths to yours, but still it could save you
> some time.
>
> If you don't want to be elaborate as I am -- my batch files tend to be a
> bit over-engineered -- just look for the "reg" lines. Those are the ones
> that save or restore the settings and reports.
>
>> @set MYECHO=echo off
>> @%MYECHO
>> set RZIPNAME=_stanReports.zip
>> set GFILNAME=_stanSettings.reg
>> setlocal
>> set MYNAME=%@name[%0]
>> if "%1" ne "/?" .and. "%1" ne "-?" .and. "%1" ne "" goto 000_Start
>> echo off
>> echo.
>> echo %MYNAME: Save or restore GnuCash settings
>> echo.
>> echo options:
>> echo     /q     Quiet
>> echo     /v     Verbose
>> echo     /purge Delete saved log files (used with "save" or "apply")
>> echo     save   Save settings
>> echo     apply  Apply saved settings
>> echo     purge  Delete saved log files.
>> echo Just one of 'save', 'apply', 'purge' is required.
>> echo.
>> echo Settings are saved in %GFILNAME and %RZIPNAME, in the same
>> echo folder as the GnuCash accounting file.
>> quit
>> ********************************************************************************
>> 2018-02-25  new program
>> 2018-03-21  Add the purge option.
>> 2018-03-31  With 'purge', suppress error message if there are no files ...
>> 2018-04-01  ... and also delete GnuCash files in %TEMP%.
>> 2018-04-18  Add /purge as an option, used with "save" or "apply".
>> 2018-05-05  Program didn't abort after an an unknown option.
>>
>>      Copyright 2018 Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems  http://oakroadsystems.com/
>> ********************************************************************************
>> :000_Start
>>
>> :: Scan the options.
>> set ACTION=none
>> set PURGING=0
>> set VERBOSE=1
>> do while "%1" ne ""
>>      iff %1 == save .or. %1 == apply .or. %1 == purge then
>>          iff %ACTION ne none then
>>              echo %MYNAME: Only one of 'save', 'apply', purge is allowed.
>>              cancel
>>          endiff
>>          set ACTION=%@lower[%1]
>>      elseiff %1 == /q then
>>          set VERBOSE=0
>>      elseiff %1 == /v then
>>          set VERBOSE=2
>>      elseiff %1 == /purge then
>>          set PURGING=1
>>      else
>>          echo %MYNAME: Unknown option '%1'.
>>          cancel 2
>>      endiff
>>      shift
>> enddo
>> iff %ACTION == none then
>>      echo %MYNAME: You need one of 'save', 'apply', or 'purge'.
>>      cancel
>> elseiff %VERBOSE == 2 then
>>      echo %MYNAME: Plaanning to %ACTION the %@if[%ACTION == purge,files,settings].
>>      echo.
>> endiff
>>
>> :: Check existence of files and folders.
>>      set GDIR=e:\sb\$\GnuCash
>> iff not isdir "%GDIR" then
>>      echo %MYNAME: Financials folder '%GDIR' not found.
>>      cancel
>> elseiff not exist "%GDIR\Stan.gnucash" then
>>      echo %MYNAME: File Stan.gnucash not found in '%GDIR'.
>>      cancel
>> endiff
>> set RDIR=%USERPROFILE\.gnucash
>> set RZIP=%GDIR\%RZIPNAME
>> set GKEY=HKCU\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash
>> set GFIL=%GDIR\%GFILNAME
>> iff %VERBOSE == 2 then
>>      echo %MYNAME: Financial database is in folder '%GDIR'.
>>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are in folder '%RDIR'.
>>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are zipped in file '%RZIP'.
>>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are in '%GKEY'.
>>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are exported to file '%GFIL'.
>>      echo.
>> endiff
>>
>> iff %ACTION == save then
>>      if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
>>      iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
>>          echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
>>          cancel
>>      endiff
>>      pushd "%RDIR"
>>      set ZIPOPT=
>>      set OPTS=-r -T -o
>>      if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
>>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>>      zip %OPTS "%RZIP" *
>>      @%MYECHO
>>      @echo.
>>      popd
>>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>>      reg export %GKEY "%GFIL" /y
>>      @%MYECHO
>>
>> elseiff %ACTION == apply then
>>      if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
>>      iff not exist "%GFIL" then
>>          echo %MYNAME: Registy export file '%GFIL' not found.
>>          cancel
>>      endiff
>>      iff not exist "%RZIP" then
>>          echo %MYNAME: Reports ZIP file '%RZIP' not found.
>>          cancel
>>      endiff
>>      iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
>>          echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
>>          input /c /k"yYnN" /l1 Create it?^  %%X
>>          echo.
>>          if %X == N cancel
>>          md "%RDIR"
>>      endiff
>>      set OPTS=-uo
>>      if %VERBOSE == 0 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
>>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>>      unzip %OPTS "%RZIP" -d "%RDIR"
>>      @%MYECHO
>>      @echo.
>>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
>>      reg delete %GKEY /f
>>      @echo.
>>      reg import "%GFIL"
>>      @%MYECHO
>>
>> elseiff %ACTION == purge then
>>      gosub PurgeAction
>>
>> else
>>      echo %MYNAME: Internal error: %%ACTION = '%ACTION'
>>      cancel
>> endiff
>> quit
>>
>> :PurgeAction
>>      set OPTS=/R /E
>>      if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=/T %OPTS
>>      echos %MYNAME: purging ... ``
>>      del %OPTS %GC\*.gnucash.20* %TEMP\gnc-report*html;gnucash*log
>>      return
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Maf. King
Norbert.  Don't over think this.  Which word processor do you use?  How did
you move all your wordprocessor documents, template & settings from old to
new?

GC really isn't very different.  you have one or more accounts data files
(ie.documents) saved somewhere (there are also some auto-backup copies of
these in the same folders, but it is not required to copy these backups - GC
will make more in due course) and possibly some customised reports in another
folder - which you have been told about.

you need to move the data file(s) and ~/.gnucash folder as outlined in the FAQ
links you have been given.  Some display settings/preferences may not make it
over because they are stored in the windows registry - but a quick once-
through of the preferences dialog box should let you put things back as you
like.  No programming needed.

HTH,
Maf.
 

On Friday, 13 July 2018 09:59:04 BST Norbert Klein wrote:

> Thanks, Stan,
>
> for sharing your work with all.
>
> But it only makes me feel sorry - I am a non-programmer user of GnuCash :-(
>
> I still hope there will be - some time in the not too distant future - a
> program which can be used also by a non-programmer to move a well
> working GnuCash system from one Widows 10 computer to a new Windows 10
> computer.
>
> Still not giving up hope.
>
> Norbert
>
> On 13.7.2018 5:29, Stan Brown wrote:
> > Dick, here is a batch file I use to save and restore my GnuCash settings
> > and reports, for transferring them between machines.  You'd need to
> > change my file names and paths to yours, but still it could save you
> > some time.
> >
> > If you don't want to be elaborate as I am -- my batch files tend to be a
> > bit over-engineered -- just look for the "reg" lines. Those are the ones
> > that save or restore the settings and reports.
> >
> >> @set MYECHO=echo off
> >> @%MYECHO
> >> set RZIPNAME=_stanReports.zip
> >> set GFILNAME=_stanSettings.reg
> >> setlocal
> >> set MYNAME=%@name[%0]
> >> if "%1" ne "/?" .and. "%1" ne "-?" .and. "%1" ne "" goto 000_Start
> >> echo off
> >> echo.
> >> echo %MYNAME: Save or restore GnuCash settings
> >> echo.
> >> echo options:
> >> echo     /q     Quiet
> >> echo     /v     Verbose
> >> echo     /purge Delete saved log files (used with "save" or "apply")
> >> echo     save   Save settings
> >> echo     apply  Apply saved settings
> >> echo     purge  Delete saved log files.
> >> echo Just one of 'save', 'apply', 'purge' is required.
> >> echo.
> >> echo Settings are saved in %GFILNAME and %RZIPNAME, in the same
> >> echo folder as the GnuCash accounting file.
> >> quit
> >> *************************************************************************
> >> ******* 2018-02-25  new program
> >> 2018-03-21  Add the purge option.
> >> 2018-03-31  With 'purge', suppress error message if there are no files
> >> ...
> >> 2018-04-01  ... and also delete GnuCash files in %TEMP%.
> >> 2018-04-18  Add /purge as an option, used with "save" or "apply".
> >> 2018-05-05  Program didn't abort after an an unknown option.
> >>
> >>      Copyright 2018 Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems
> >>      http://oakroadsystems.com/
> >>
> >> *************************************************************************
> >> *******>>
> >> :000_Start
> >> :
> >> :: Scan the options.
> >>
> >> set ACTION=none
> >> set PURGING=0
> >> set VERBOSE=1
> >> do while "%1" ne ""
> >>
> >>      iff %1 == save .or. %1 == apply .or. %1 == purge then
> >>      
> >>          iff %ACTION ne none then
> >>          
> >>              echo %MYNAME: Only one of 'save', 'apply', purge is allowed.
> >>              cancel
> >>          
> >>          endiff
> >>          set ACTION=%@lower[%1]
> >>      
> >>      elseiff %1 == /q then
> >>      
> >>          set VERBOSE=0
> >>      
> >>      elseiff %1 == /v then
> >>      
> >>          set VERBOSE=2
> >>      
> >>      elseiff %1 == /purge then
> >>      
> >>          set PURGING=1
> >>      
> >>      else
> >>      
> >>          echo %MYNAME: Unknown option '%1'.
> >>          cancel 2
> >>      
> >>      endiff
> >>      shift
> >>
> >> enddo
> >> iff %ACTION == none then
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: You need one of 'save', 'apply', or 'purge'.
> >>      cancel
> >>
> >> elseiff %VERBOSE == 2 then
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: Plaanning to %ACTION the %@if[%ACTION ==
> >>      purge,files,settings]. echo.
> >>
> >> endiff
> >>
> >> :: Check existence of files and folders.
> >> ::
> >>      set GDIR=e:\sb\$\GnuCash
> >>
> >> iff not isdir "%GDIR" then
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: Financials folder '%GDIR' not found.
> >>      cancel
> >>
> >> elseiff not exist "%GDIR\Stan.gnucash" then
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: File Stan.gnucash not found in '%GDIR'.
> >>      cancel
> >>
> >> endiff
> >> set RDIR=%USERPROFILE\.gnucash
> >> set RZIP=%GDIR\%RZIPNAME
> >> set GKEY=HKCU\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash
> >> set GFIL=%GDIR\%GFILNAME
> >> iff %VERBOSE == 2 then
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: Financial database is in folder '%GDIR'.
> >>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are in folder '%RDIR'.
> >>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are zipped in file '%RZIP'.
> >>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are in '%GKEY'.
> >>      echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are exported to file '%GFIL'.
> >>      echo.
> >>
> >> endiff
> >>
> >> iff %ACTION == save then
> >>
> >>      if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
> >>      iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
> >>      
> >>          echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
> >>          cancel
> >>      
> >>      endiff
> >>      pushd "%RDIR"
> >>      set ZIPOPT=
> >>      set OPTS=-r -T -o
> >>      if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
> >>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >>      zip %OPTS "%RZIP" *
> >>      @%MYECHO
> >>      @echo.
> >>      popd
> >>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >>      reg export %GKEY "%GFIL" /y
> >>      @%MYECHO
> >>
> >> elseiff %ACTION == apply then
> >>
> >>      if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
> >>      iff not exist "%GFIL" then
> >>      
> >>          echo %MYNAME: Registy export file '%GFIL' not found.
> >>          cancel
> >>      
> >>      endiff
> >>      iff not exist "%RZIP" then
> >>      
> >>          echo %MYNAME: Reports ZIP file '%RZIP' not found.
> >>          cancel
> >>      
> >>      endiff
> >>      iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
> >>      
> >>          echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
> >>          input /c /k"yYnN" /l1 Create it?^  %%X
> >>          echo.
> >>          if %X == N cancel
> >>          md "%RDIR"
> >>      
> >>      endiff
> >>      set OPTS=-uo
> >>      if %VERBOSE == 0 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
> >>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >>      unzip %OPTS "%RZIP" -d "%RDIR"
> >>      @%MYECHO
> >>      @echo.
> >>      @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >>      reg delete %GKEY /f
> >>      @echo.
> >>      reg import "%GFIL"
> >>      @%MYECHO
> >>
> >> elseiff %ACTION == purge then
> >>
> >>      gosub PurgeAction
> >>
> >> else
> >>
> >>      echo %MYNAME: Internal error: %%ACTION = '%ACTION'
> >>      cancel
> >>
> >> endiff
> >> quit
> >>
> >> :PurgeAction
> >> :
> >>      set OPTS=/R /E
> >>      if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=/T %OPTS
> >>      echos %MYNAME: purging ... ``
> >>      del %OPTS %GC\*.gnucash.20* %TEMP\gnc-report*html;gnucash*log
> >>      return
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information. -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.


--
Maf. King
PGP Key fingerprint = 8D68 A91F 733B 2C1F 43B7  2B7C E591 E8E1 0DE7 C542





_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Mike or Penny Novack-3
In reply to this post by Norbert Klein-2
On 7/13/2018 4:59 AM, Norbert Klein wrote:

> Thanks, Stan,
>
> for sharing your work with all.
>
> But it only makes me feel sorry - I am a non-programmer user of
> GnuCash :-(
>
> I still hope there will be - some time in the not too distant future -
> a program which can be used also by a non-programmer to move a well
> working GnuCash system from one Widows 10 computer to a new Windows 10
> computer.
>
> Still not giving up hope.
>
> Norbert

This is not really a "program which can be used by a non-programmer"
issue. It is more a issue about "computer used by a non-programmer"
issue (a special case of a more general problem). Computer users who do
not have a "support person" have to learn how to do SOME basic tasks for
themselves.

How do you move ANY data between devices, between computers or from
computer to backup device and how to restore from backup? Do you see why
your question "how do I move gnucash data?" is just a special case of
this more general problem << how do I move data from my old computer to
a back-up device, USB stick or external drive  or network place,  and
how do I "restore" this data to my computer, in this case the new one.

If you don't know how to make backups of your data and restore from
backup and you don't have a "support person" to do tasks like this for
you, then you as a computer user have to learn how to do this basic
(absolutely necessary) thing for yourself.  If you do not have back-ups,
it is not a question of whether you will lose your data but when you
will lose your data. Not just your gnucash data but ALL of your data.

Michael D Novack
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Stan Brown
In reply to this post by Norbert Klein-2
On Fri, Jul 13, 2018, at 4:59 AM, Norbert Klein wrote:
> Thanks, Stan, for sharing your work with all.
...
> I still hope there will be - some time in the not too distant future - a
> program which can be used also by a non-programmer to move a well
> working GnuCash system from one Widows 10 computer to a new Windows 10
> computer.

I think there's a mechanism for entering that as a request for the product, and I think it would be a great idea. Programs in general ought to make it easier not just to move their settings but to back them up.

P.S. I'm not really a programmer any more, but I still keep my hand in with various forms of scripting, mainly AWK and batch files. One day I'll learn Windows PowerShell, maybe.

--
Stan Brown
[hidden email]
http://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com/
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 7/13/2018 8:20 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> I think there's a mechanism for entering that as a request for the product, and I think it would be a great idea. Programs in general ought to make it easier not just to move their settings but to back them up.
>
> P.S. I'm not really a programmer any more, but I still keep my hand in with various forms of scripting, mainly AWK and batch files. One day I'll learn Windows PowerShell, maybe.
>
  Absolutely not. Not on a program by program, application by
application basis.

Look, if on computer there is a data area ... users/user-name/..... and
if THIS (entire directory) is copied to back-up then ALL of that user's
data has been backed up in one operation.

SPACE (cheap these days) is the only good reason to do incremental
back-ups. But if this method is used, should be neither the
responsibility of programs nor manual actions by the user, but an
automated back-up system designed for the purpose << say runs every
night and makes a (new) back-up of every file that has changed since the
day before >>

Michael D Novack
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Adrien Monteleone-2
I agree with Michael here.

I can’t imagine the nightmare of trying to restore an entire system or migrate it to another physical machine and have to contend with dozens of different restore procedures, one for each application based on what those developers thought best.

I’d much rather handle this with a single method for the entire system.

Backup, restoration and migration is not a proper function to handle on a per-app basis. This is always something that should be done by the user according to their own needs and preferences. There are many applications dedicated to this very task, some come with operating systems as ’sane defaults’ and others are available if a user finds those ’sane defaults’ to not meet their needs.

In a worst case, one can always just copy/move files manually. (again, there are multiple methods available here, depending on need and preference)

Such a request (to have the particular app handle this) strikes me as coming from the perspective that the user thinks the data and settings are contained within the app itself somehow. I’m not sure where this idea originates, but I’ve come across it so many times. (My parents used to think their documents were actually, literally, stored IN ‘MS Word’. It took me many months to get them to comprehend otherwise.)

The short answer to the original post is simply - make a backup (using the backup procedure included in Win10) of the original system, then restore that backup on the new system. If you just want to move GnuCash, that backup/restore tool allows you to choose what you want to include so only include the GnuCash relevant files.

Windows has had a backup and migration assistant included for at least a decade now. The desired tool already exists. (I used it a few months ago to copy a user profile to 5 different machines - data, preferences and all)

Regards,
Adrien

> On Jul 13, 2018, at 7:46 AM, Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 7/13/2018 8:20 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
>> I think there's a mechanism for entering that as a request for the product, and I think it would be a great idea. Programs in general ought to make it easier not just to move their settings but to back them up.
>>
>> P.S. I'm not really a programmer any more, but I still keep my hand in with various forms of scripting, mainly AWK and batch files. One day I'll learn Windows PowerShell, maybe.
>>
> Absolutely not. Not on a program by program, application by application basis.
>
> Look, if on computer there is a data area ... users/user-name/..... and if THIS (entire directory) is copied to back-up then ALL of that user's data has been backed up in one operation.
>
> SPACE (cheap these days) is the only good reason to do incremental back-ups. But if this method is used, should be neither the responsibility of programs nor manual actions by the user, but an automated back-up system designed for the purpose << say runs every night and makes a (new) back-up of every file that has changed since the day before >>
>
> Michael D Novack
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: [GNC] How to move my Windows 10 2.6.17 to a new Windows, 10 machine?

Richard Gardner
In reply to this post by Stan Brown
Stan, thanks. With my small account it wasn't much of a problem to do it
all manually (once I knew where and what needed to be done!), but I'm sure
your batch file is a great tool for higher volume situations.

I do agree with everyone that help for 'just-a user' folks like me is
important.  I know enough to be dangerous, but fortunately (at least I
think) I  know it. For me, instructions that clearly explain how *and why*
give me the most confidence to go DIY.  I think before I would be
comfortable using somebody's (black-box to me) tool I'd want to have an
imprimatur from, like, GNUcash and more documentation.

Adrien's answer of using an established tool like Windows BU sounds easy
and reliable, but you have to tell me exactly what *are* the "relevant
file(s)"? -- I didn't think one 218kb file could possibly be big enough to
hold 7 years of transactions, customers, vendors, etc. and I was sure I
*had* to regedit the Preferences (I *knew* that was dangerous for me) --
that is until Dave explained it plain and simple and gave me the confidence.

Thanks again everybody.

Dick



On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:29 PM Stan Brown <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Dick, here is a batch file I use to save and restore my GnuCash settings
> and reports, for transferring them between machines.  You'd need to
> change my file names and paths to yours, but still it could save you
> some time.
>
> If you don't want to be elaborate as I am -- my batch files tend to be a
> bit over-engineered -- just look for the "reg" lines. Those are the ones
> that save or restore the settings and reports.
>
> > @set MYECHO=echo off
> > @%MYECHO
> > set RZIPNAME=_stanReports.zip
> > set GFILNAME=_stanSettings.reg
> > setlocal
> > set MYNAME=%@name[%0]
> > if "%1" ne "/?" .and. "%1" ne "-?" .and. "%1" ne "" goto 000_Start
> > echo off
> > echo.
> > echo %MYNAME: Save or restore GnuCash settings
> > echo.
> > echo options:
> > echo     /q     Quiet
> > echo     /v     Verbose
> > echo     /purge Delete saved log files (used with "save" or "apply")
> > echo     save   Save settings
> > echo     apply  Apply saved settings
> > echo     purge  Delete saved log files.
> > echo Just one of 'save', 'apply', 'purge' is required.
> > echo.
> > echo Settings are saved in %GFILNAME and %RZIPNAME, in the same
> > echo folder as the GnuCash accounting file.
> > quit
> >
> ********************************************************************************
> > 2018-02-25  new program
> > 2018-03-21  Add the purge option.
> > 2018-03-31  With 'purge', suppress error message if there are no files
> ...
> > 2018-04-01  ... and also delete GnuCash files in %TEMP%.
> > 2018-04-18  Add /purge as an option, used with "save" or "apply".
> > 2018-05-05  Program didn't abort after an an unknown option.
> >
> >     Copyright 2018 Stan Brown, Oak Road Systems
> http://oakroadsystems.com/
> >
> ********************************************************************************
> > :000_Start
> >
> > :: Scan the options.
> > set ACTION=none
> > set PURGING=0
> > set VERBOSE=1
> > do while "%1" ne ""
> >     iff %1 == save .or. %1 == apply .or. %1 == purge then
> >         iff %ACTION ne none then
> >             echo %MYNAME: Only one of 'save', 'apply', purge is allowed.
> >             cancel
> >         endiff
> >         set ACTION=%@lower[%1]
> >     elseiff %1 == /q then
> >         set VERBOSE=0
> >     elseiff %1 == /v then
> >         set VERBOSE=2
> >     elseiff %1 == /purge then
> >         set PURGING=1
> >     else
> >         echo %MYNAME: Unknown option '%1'.
> >         cancel 2
> >     endiff
> >     shift
> > enddo
> > iff %ACTION == none then
> >     echo %MYNAME: You need one of 'save', 'apply', or 'purge'.
> >     cancel
> > elseiff %VERBOSE == 2 then
> >     echo %MYNAME: Plaanning to %ACTION the %@if[%ACTION ==
> purge,files,settings].
> >     echo.
> > endiff
> >
> > :: Check existence of files and folders.
> >     set GDIR=e:\sb\$\GnuCash
> > iff not isdir "%GDIR" then
> >     echo %MYNAME: Financials folder '%GDIR' not found.
> >     cancel
> > elseiff not exist "%GDIR\Stan.gnucash" then
> >     echo %MYNAME: File Stan.gnucash not found in '%GDIR'.
> >     cancel
> > endiff
> > set RDIR=%USERPROFILE\.gnucash
> > set RZIP=%GDIR\%RZIPNAME
> > set GKEY=HKCU\Software\GSettings\org\gnucash
> > set GFIL=%GDIR\%GFILNAME
> > iff %VERBOSE == 2 then
> >     echo %MYNAME: Financial database is in folder '%GDIR'.
> >     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are in folder '%RDIR'.
> >     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash reports are zipped in file '%RZIP'.
> >     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are in '%GKEY'.
> >     echo %MYNAME: GnuCash settings are exported to file '%GFIL'.
> >     echo.
> > endiff
> >
> > iff %ACTION == save then
> >     if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
> >     iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
> >         echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
> >         cancel
> >     endiff
> >     pushd "%RDIR"
> >     set ZIPOPT=
> >     set OPTS=-r -T -o
> >     if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
> >     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >     zip %OPTS "%RZIP" *
> >     @%MYECHO
> >     @echo.
> >     popd
> >     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >     reg export %GKEY "%GFIL" /y
> >     @%MYECHO
> >
> > elseiff %ACTION == apply then
> >     if %PURGING == 1 gosub PurgeAction
> >     iff not exist "%GFIL" then
> >         echo %MYNAME: Registy export file '%GFIL' not found.
> >         cancel
> >     endiff
> >     iff not exist "%RZIP" then
> >         echo %MYNAME: Reports ZIP file '%RZIP' not found.
> >         cancel
> >     endiff
> >     iff not isdir "%RDIR" then
> >         echo %MYNAME: Reports folder '%RDIR' not found.
> >         input /c /k"yYnN" /l1 Create it?^  %%X
> >         echo.
> >         if %X == N cancel
> >         md "%RDIR"
> >     endiff
> >     set OPTS=-uo
> >     if %VERBOSE == 0 set OPTS=%OPTS -q
> >     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >     unzip %OPTS "%RZIP" -d "%RDIR"
> >     @%MYECHO
> >     @echo.
> >     @if %VERBOSE ge 1 echo on
> >     reg delete %GKEY /f
> >     @echo.
> >     reg import "%GFIL"
> >     @%MYECHO
> >
> > elseiff %ACTION == purge then
> >     gosub PurgeAction
> >
> > else
> >     echo %MYNAME: Internal error: %%ACTION = '%ACTION'
> >     cancel
> > endiff
> > quit
> >
> > :PurgeAction
> >     set OPTS=/R /E
> >     if %VERBOSE lt 2 set OPTS=/T %OPTS
> >     echos %MYNAME: purging ... ``
> >     del %OPTS %GC\*.gnucash.20* %TEMP\gnc-report*html;gnucash*log
> >     return
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Stan Brown
> Tompkins County, New York, USA
> http://BrownMath.com
> http://OakRoadSystems.com
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
To update your subscription preferences or to unsubscribe:
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists for more information.
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.