Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

12

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
Compiled and installed on Ubuntu 18.04.

When starting up it reports several duplicate report IDs.  Should I have
uninstalled 3.1 first?  I did these commands (with an empty mybuild):

cd mybuild

cmake ../gnucash-3.2

make

sudo make install

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/24/2018 08:40 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> [...]
> SourceForge:
>
> Download GnuCash for Win32: https://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-3.2.setup.exe
> Download GnuCash for Mac-Intel: https://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/Gnucash-Intel-3.2-1.dmg
>
> Github
>
> Download GnuCash for Win32: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-3.2.setup.exe
> Download GnuCash for Mac-Intel: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/Gnucash-Intel-3.2-1.dmg
>
> Getting GnuCash as source code
>
> If you want to compile GnuCash 3.2 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:
>
> Sourceforge:
>    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-3.2.tar.bz2
>    http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-3.2.tar.gz
> Github:
>    https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-3.2.tar.bz2
>    https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-3.2.tar.gz
>    WARNING Do not try to use the github-generated files labelled "Source Code". They have not been processed with
>    swig and will not build.
> You can also checkout the sources: git clone https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash.
>

> Please consult the README.dependencies file in the sources for the required dependencies and versions needed to build GnuCash from source. Additional information on building GnuCash may be found at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building.
>
> Getting the documentation
>
> The documentation is available at Documentation page of the GnuCash website. The 3.1 documentation can be found under "GnuCash v3 (current stable release)" in multiple languages both for reading online and for download in pdf, epub, and mobi formats.
>
> If you want to compile the GnuCash Documentation 3.2 for yourself, the source code can be downloaded from:
>
>   Sourceforge: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-docs-3.2.tar.gz
>   GitHub: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-docs-3.2.tar.gz
>   You can also checkout the sources directly from the git repository as described at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git.
>
> Detailed instructions for building GnuCash may be found at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and for the Documentation at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Initializing_Documentation_Build_Environment.
>
> About the Program
>
> GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
Further research:

It appears that net-charts.scm is a replacement for two other files in
standard-reports:  net-linecharts.scm and net-barcharts.scm

I renamed those two to have a .old extension on them and GnuCash now
starts up without complaining about duplicate report IDs.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/25/2018 10:20 AM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
>>
>>   Sourceforge: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/gnucash/gnucash-docs-3.2.tar.gz
>>   GitHub: https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-docs-3.2.tar.gz
>>   You can also checkout the sources directly from the git repository as described at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git.
>>
>> Detailed instructions for building GnuCash may be found at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and for the Documentation at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Initializing_Documentation_Build_Environment.
>>
>> About the Program
>>
>> GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris, Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and its first stable release was in 1998.

Dennis West
I'm sure you like to get feedback from someone with absolutely no
problems at all.

I was using 2.6.21 on my primary computer and testing 3.1/3.2 on my
standby testbed (both on Win 10.1803).  I finally decided to take the
plunge and upgraded my primary computer form 2.6.21 to 3.2.  The
experience was flawless and now my testbed pc is eagerly awaiting vs 4.0.

Dennis

Op maandag 25 juni 2018 19:42:37 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> Further research:
>
> It appears that net-charts.scm is a replacement for two other files in
> standard-reports:  net-linecharts.scm and net-barcharts.scm
>
> I renamed those two to have a .old extension on them and GnuCash now
> starts up without complaining about duplicate report IDs.

Ah indeed. As you indicated you didn't uninstall first, the old files remained
in the installation directory causing the conflict.

The formal way to uninstall is a bit picky. You should run "make uninstall" in
your build directory *before* changing the source directory to a newer version
(be it a new git checkout or pull, or installing a new release tar ball).

If you installed gnucash in it's own prefix (by adding
-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xyz to your cmake run), uninstalling would be as easy
as deleting this prefix.

But in this case manually removing/renaming the offending files works as well.
I would remove/rename the corresponding .go files in gnucash' lib64/gnucash/
scm/ccache/ directory as well though.

Geert

> [...]

> >>   tar.gz GitHub:
> >>   https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/releases/download/3.2/gnucash-docs-> >>   3.2.tar.gz You can also checkout the sources directly from the git
> >>   repository as described at https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Git.>>
> >> Detailed instructions for building GnuCash may be found at
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and for the Documentation at
> >> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Initializing_Documentation_Build_Environme
> >> nt.
> >>
> >> About the Program
> >>
> >> GnuCash is a free, open source accounting program released under the GNU
> >> General Public License (GPL) and available for GNU/Linux, *BSD, Solaris,
> >> Mac OSX and Microsoft Windows. Programming on GnuCash began in 1997, and
> >> its first stable release was in 1998.

> >> If you are using Nabble or Gmane, please see

It is generally a good idea to remove the previous version before installing
a new one. Gnucash will generally overwrite any existing files of the same
name, but you may be left with unnecessary files in some cases. Going from
3.1 to 3.2 should be OK as there are unlikey to be major changes in the file
structure, but between major version could be problematical There are
instructions on the Wiki in the build instructions for Ubuntu 16.04 for
doing uninstalls in a variety of circumstances including manually deleting
all the files which will be the same for 18.04. I'll put a note in there re
uninstalling previous versionsbefore the build instructions to make it
clearer.

If you still have the 3.1 build directory:
 open a shell and cd to the build directory then type
 sudo make uninstall

then do the install of V3.2

This uses a manifest created when Gnucash was installed to uninstall all of
the program files. It leaves user preference files untouched.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

> On Jun 29, 2018, at 12:42 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op maandag 25 juni 2018 19:42:37 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
>> Further research:
>>
>> It appears that net-charts.scm is a replacement for two other files in
>> standard-reports:  net-linecharts.scm and net-barcharts.scm
>>
>> I renamed those two to have a .old extension on them and GnuCash now
>> starts up without complaining about duplicate report IDs.
>>

> Ah indeed. As you indicated you didn't uninstall first, the old files remained
> in the installation directory causing the conflict.
>
> The formal way to uninstall is a bit picky. You should run "make uninstall" in
> your build directory *before* changing the source directory to a newer version
> (be it a new git checkout or pull, or installing a new release tar ball).
>
> If you installed gnucash in it's own prefix (by adding
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xyz to your cmake run), uninstalling would be as easy
> as deleting this prefix.
>
> But in this case manually removing/renaming the offending files works as well.
> I would remove/rename the corresponding .go files in gnucash' lib64/gnucash/
> scm/ccache/ directory as well though.

CMake doesn’t create an uninstall target. To uninstall, use `xargs rm < install_manifest.txt` from the build directory. (In Windows CMake writes install_manifest.txt with windows paths so you have to use a Powershell window and do `get-contents install_manifest.txt | remove-item`).

On a related note, CMake’s clean target seems broken for makefiles but works fine for ninja.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/29/2018 12:42 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op maandag 25 juni 2018 19:42:37 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
>> Further research:
>>
>> It appears that net-charts.scm is a replacement for two other files in
>> standard-reports:  net-linecharts.scm and net-barcharts.scm
>>
>> I renamed those two to have a .old extension on them and GnuCash now
>> starts up without complaining about duplicate report IDs.
>>
> Ah indeed. As you indicated you didn't uninstall first, the old files remained
> in the installation directory causing the conflict.

Hopefully I remember for the next upgrade.

> The formal way to uninstall is a bit picky. You should run "make uninstall" in
> your build directory *before* changing the source directory to a newer version
> (be it a new git checkout or pull, or installing a new release tar ball).
>
> If you installed gnucash in it's own prefix (by adding
> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xyz to your cmake run), uninstalling would be as easy
> as deleting this prefix.
>
> But in this case manually removing/renaming the offending files works as well.
> I would remove/rename the corresponding .go files in gnucash' lib64/gnucash/
> scm/ccache/ directory as well though.

Hmm.  Can't find that path.  Here is what is in /lib64 on my Ubuntu
18.04 box:
drwxr-xr-x  2 root root 4096 May  6 20:28 ./
drwxr-xr-x 26 root root 4096 Jun 12 10:04 ../
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   32 Apr 16 13:14 ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 ->
/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/ld-2.27.so*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 May  6 20:28 ld-lsb-x86-64.so.2 ->
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2*
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   20 May  6 20:28 ld-lsb-x86-64.so.3 ->
ld-linux-x86-64.so.2*

And here is the location of all lib64 directories (via sudo find / -name
lib64

/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-28/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-26/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-25/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-23/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-29/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-4.15.0-22/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-27/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-23/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.19.0-24/arch/sh/lib64
/usr/src/linux-headers-3.16.0-32/arch/sh/lib64
/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_pYKPbh/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_edihqS/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_JevWJj/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_dZ5Hy3/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_2s7hMA/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_ncQdoR/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_fF6uQ0/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_pWngoT/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_gE5Jr7/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_9spxCx/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Qr12to/lib64
/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_FJaQ9o/lib64
/snap/core/4830/lib64
/snap/core/4571/lib64
/snap/core/4650/lib64
/opt/wine-devel/lib64
/opt/sophos-av/lib64
/opt/sophos-av/update/cache/Primary/sav-linux/x86/64/lib64
/opt/epson-inkjet-printer-201208w/lib64
> Geert

Thanks,
-- Steve

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Geert Janssens-4
Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 19:54:04 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:

> On 06/29/2018 12:42 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op maandag 25 juni 2018 19:42:37 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> >> Further research:
> >>
> >> It appears that net-charts.scm is a replacement for two other files in
> >> standard-reports:  net-linecharts.scm and net-barcharts.scm
> >>
> >> I renamed those two to have a .old extension on them and GnuCash now
> >> starts up without complaining about duplicate report IDs.
> >
> > Ah indeed. As you indicated you didn't uninstall first, the old files
> > remained in the installation directory causing the conflict.
>
> Hopefully I remember for the next upgrade.
>
> > The formal way to uninstall is a bit picky. You should run "make
> > uninstall" in your build directory *before* changing the source directory
> > to a newer version (be it a new git checkout or pull, or installing a new
> > release tar ball).
> >
> > If you installed gnucash in it's own prefix (by adding
> > -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xyz to your cmake run), uninstalling would be as
> > easy as deleting this prefix.
> >
> > But in this case manually removing/renaming the offending files works as
> > well. I would remove/rename the corresponding .go files in gnucash'
> > lib64/gnucash/ scm/ccache/ directory as well though.
>
> Hmm.  Can't find that path.  Here is what is in /lib64 on my Ubuntu
> 18.04 box:

Oh, right. I believe debian and derivates use a different scheme for 64-bit
applications

Do you have
/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/scm/ccache ?

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/29/2018 11:02 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 19:54:04 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:

>>> Ah indeed. As you indicated you didn't uninstall first, the old files
>>> remained in the installation directory causing the conflict.
>> Hopefully I remember for the next upgrade.
>>
>>> The formal way to uninstall is a bit picky. You should run "make
>>> uninstall" in your build directory *before* changing the source directory
>>> to a newer version (be it a new git checkout or pull, or installing a new
>>> release tar ball).
>>>
>>> If you installed gnucash in it's own prefix (by adding
>>> -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=xyz to your cmake run), uninstalling would be as
>>> easy as deleting this prefix.
>>>
>>> But in this case manually removing/renaming the offending files works as
>>> well. I would remove/rename the corresponding .go files in gnucash'
>>> lib64/gnucash/ scm/ccache/ directory as well though.
>> Hmm.  Can't find that path.  Here is what is in /lib64 on my Ubuntu
>> 18.04 box:
> Oh, right. I believe debian and derivates use a different scheme for 64-bit
> applications
>
> Do you have
> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/scm/ccache ?
>
> Geert

Not that I see -- I am using a 64-bit O/S so maybe 32 bit apps are the
odd member here?

I did find them here though:
/usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports
Occasionally find can be useful!

sudo find / -name net-barchart.go
/usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports/net-barchart.go

I removed both.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Geert Janssens-4
Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 21:04:31 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:

> On 06/29/2018 11:02 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> >> Hopefully I remember for the next upgrade.

> >> Hmm.  Can't find that path.  Here is what is in /lib64 on my Ubuntu
> >
> >> 18.04 box:
> > Oh, right. I believe debian and derivates use a different scheme for
> > 64-bit
> > applications
> >
> > Do you have
> > /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/scm/ccache ?
> >
> > Geert
>
> Not that I see -- I am using a 64-bit O/S so maybe 32 bit apps are the
> odd member here?
>
> I did find them here though:
> /usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports
> Occasionally find can be useful!
>
> sudo find / -name net-barchart.go
> /usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports/net-ba
> rchart.go
>
> I removed both.

Ah, indeed. If you don't specify a prefix, cmake will use /usr/local. Sorry
for sending you around on different wrong paths.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/29/2018 02:17 PM, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 21:04:31 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:

>>> Oh, right. I believe debian and derivates use a different scheme for
>>> 64-bit
>>> applications
>>>
>>> Do you have
>>> /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/gnucash/scm/ccache ?
>>>
>>> Geert
>> Not that I see -- I am using a 64-bit O/S so maybe 32 bit apps are the
>> odd member here?
>>
>> I did find them here though:
>> /usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports
>> Occasionally find can be useful!
>>
>> sudo find / -name net-barchart.go
>> /usr/local/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/report/standard-reports/net-ba
>> rchart.go
>>
>> I removed both.
> Ah, indeed. If you don't specify a prefix, cmake will use /usr/local. Sorry
> for sending you around on different wrong paths.
>
> Geert

No problem.  Forces me to figure out what _is_ happening.  At least you
told me about the .go files.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Op vrijdag 29 juni 2018 09:43:59 CEST schreef DaveC49:
> Stephen,
>
> It is generally a good idea to remove the previous version before installing
> a new one. Gnucash will generally overwrite any existing files of the same
> name, but you may be left with unnecessary files in some cases. Going from
> 3.1 to 3.2 should be OK as there are unlikey to be major changes in the
> file structure,

Unfortunately one file change did slip through in the report files between 3.1
and 3.2. If not uninstalling it would leave two .scm files and two .go files
from the 3.1 installation that conflict with the new files in 3.2.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Hi John,

If GnuCash is not built with Ninja, there is a cmake_uninstall.cmake file in
the top level of the build directory which seems to read the
install_manifest.txt file. The Makefile in the same level produced by CMake
has an uninstall target - not sure how it executes the commands in the
cmake_uninstall.cmake file but it appears to.

Executing "make uninstall" ( prefixed with sudo if installed in a system
location) in the build directory does remove all of the GnuCash files
installed in the <prefix> specified to cmake. (GnuCash V3.2 from the
SourceForge tarball on Linux Mint 18.3 built using Cmake, make and - should
be the same for Ubuntu).

Not sure that happens if it is built with Ninja rather than make though.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/29/2018 12:43 AM, DaveC49 wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> It is generally a good idea to remove the previous version before installing
> a new one. Gnucash will generally overwrite any existing files of the same
> name, but you may be left with unnecessary files in some cases. Going from
> 3.1 to 3.2 should be OK as there are unlikey to be major changes in the file
> structure, but between major version could be problematical There are
> instructions on the Wiki in the build instructions for Ubuntu 16.04 for
> doing uninstalls in a variety of circumstances including manually deleting
> all the files which will be the same for 18.04. I'll put a note in there re
> uninstalling previous versionsbefore the build instructions to make it
> clearer.
>
> If you still have the 3.1 build directory:
>  open a shell and cd to the build directory then type
>  sudo make uninstall

Sadly, I aggressively removed it when bringing in 3.2  :-(
So a learning experience that, hopefully, I can help others avoid.

> then do the install of V3.2
>
> This uses a manifest created when Gnucash was installed to uninstall all of
> the program files. It leaves user preference files untouched.
>
> David
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

David,

That’s apparently new and undocumented behavior, maybe in CMake 3.10. Thanks for reporting it.

> On Jun 30, 2018, at 1:26 AM, DaveC49 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi John,
>
> If GnuCash is not built with Ninja, there is a cmake_uninstall.cmake file in
> the top level of the build directory which seems to read the
> install_manifest.txt file. The Makefile in the same level produced by CMake
> has an uninstall target - not sure how it executes the commands in the
> cmake_uninstall.cmake file but it appears to.
>
> Executing "make uninstall" ( prefixed with sudo if installed in a system
> location) in the build directory does remove all of the GnuCash files
> installed in the <prefix> specified to cmake. (GnuCash V3.2 from the
> SourceForge tarball on Linux Mint 18.3 built using Cmake, make and - should
> be the same for Ubuntu).
>
> Not sure that happens if it is built with Ninja rather than make though.
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

David Cousens
John,

I'm using CMake v 3.5.1. Presumably the same or similar could be used to
create an uninstall target for Ninja. Their argument for providing a default
uninstall target seems a bit weak to me as you are not going to be issuing
the command in a build directory unless you really intend to uninstall those
useful files.

The cmake_uninstall.cmake file contains a reference to

# This is taken from
https://cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_FAQ#Can_I_do_.22make_uninstall.22_with_CMake.3F

which has now been moved to Kitware
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/FAQ

which has a very slow server by the look of it but eventually i found
https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/community/wikis/FAQ#can-i-do-make-uninstall-with-cmake

Can I do "make uninstall" with CMake?

By default, CMake does not provide the "make uninstall" target, so you
cannot do this. We do not want "make uninstall" to remove useful files
from the system.

If you want an "uninstall" target in your project, then nobody prevents
you from providing one. You need to delete the files listed in
install_manifest.txt file. Here is how to do it. First create file
cmake_uninstall.cmake.in in the top-level directory of the project:

if(NOT EXISTS "@CMAKE_BINARY_DIR@/install_manifest.txt")
  message(FATAL_ERROR "Cannot find install manifest:
@CMAKE_BINARY_DIR@/install_manifest.txt")
endif(NOT EXISTS "@CMAKE_BINARY_DIR@/install_manifest.txt")

file(READ "@CMAKE_BINARY_DIR@/install_manifest.txt" files)
string(REGEX REPLACE "\n" ";" files "${files}")
foreach(file ${files})
  message(STATUS "Uninstalling $ENV{DESTDIR}${file}")
  if(IS_SYMLINK "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}" OR EXISTS "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}")
    exec_program(
      "@CMAKE_COMMAND@" ARGS "-E remove \"$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}\""
      OUTPUT_VARIABLE rm_out
      RETURN_VALUE rm_retval
      )
    if(NOT "${rm_retval}" STREQUAL 0)
      message(FATAL_ERROR "Problem when removing $ENV{DESTDIR}${file}")
    endif(NOT "${rm_retval}" STREQUAL 0)
  else(IS_SYMLINK "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}" OR EXISTS "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}")
    message(STATUS "File $ENV{DESTDIR}${file} does not exist.")
  endif(IS_SYMLINK "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}" OR EXISTS "$ENV{DESTDIR}${file}")
endforeach(file)
Then in the top-level CMakeLists.txt add the following logic:

# uninstall target
if(NOT TARGET uninstall)
    configure_file(
        "${CMAKE_CURRENT_SOURCE_DIR}/cmake_uninstall.cmake.in"
        "${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/cmake_uninstall.cmake"
        IMMEDIATE @ONLY)

    add_custom_target(uninstall
        COMMAND ${CMAKE_COMMAND} -P
${CMAKE_CURRENT_BINARY_DIR}/cmake_uninstall.cmake)
endif()
Now you will have an "uninstall" target at the top-level directory of
your build tree.

Instead of creating an "uninstall" target, Unix users could enter this
command in the shell:

xargs rm < install_manifest.txt

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

John,

Just some further information. I rebuilt GnuCash with the -G Ninja option.

The build.ninja seems to contain a build uninstall target but it has no
commands. If I run
sudo ninja install
it installs GnuCash (in/usr/local the prefix I set with cmake) and creates
install_manifest.txt.

If i copy the install target in build.ninja to the blank uninstall section
and modify it as follows

# Utility command for uninstall
build CMakeFiles/uninstall.util: CUSTOM_COMMAND all
  COMMAND = cd /home/david/Applications/gnucash-3.2/build-ninja &&
/usr/bin/cmake -P cmake_uninstall.cmake
  DESC = Uninstall the project...
  pool = console
  restat = 1
build uninstall: phony CMakeFiles/uninstall

and then issue

sudo ninja uninstall

Gnucash is correctly uninstalled except that it leaves:
   an empty gnucash directory in /etc;
  /include has an empty gnucash folder;
  /lib has a guncash directory with a scm/ccache/2.2 directory containing
gnucash, json and qif-import
     folders
  /share has a gnucash directory with subdirectories but no files

It appears the uninstall is removing all files but not necessarily the
directory structure the files were in. OK unless that changes between
versions.

I haven't checked whether the uninstall behavior is any different for the
make version but a diff on the make and ninja versions of
install_manifest.txt produces no differences so I would expect that the
uninstall is the same given the cmake_uninstall.cmake files were essentially
the same.

Getting cmake to correctly create the build.ninja uninstall target should be
enough to get the ninja uninstall working as well.

Cheers

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

It was actually implemented by Rob Gowin in February last year:
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/commit/6b14dc5b59ee

But while thinking of this I suspect the uninstall target should equally be
run from the build directory that was used to install the old gnucash version.
If you have already updated the source directory to the newer gnucash version
invoking the uninstall target (be it from ninja-build or make) will probably
trigger an update of the install-manifest file to match the newer sources
before the uninstall itself will be triggered. And in that case it would still
not uninstall obsolete files.

Geert

Op zondag 1 juli 2018 17:28:46 CEST schreef John Ralls:

> [...]

>  /include has an empty gnucash folder;
>  /lib has a guncash directory with a scm/ccache/2.2 directory containing
> gnucash, json and qif-import
>     folders
>  /share has a gnucash directory with subdirectories but no files
>
> It appears the uninstall is removing all files but not necessarily the
> directory structure the files were in. OK unless that changes between
> versions.
>
> I haven't checked whether the uninstall behavior is any different for the
> make version but a diff on the make and ninja versions of
> install_manifest.txt produces no differences so I would expect that the
> uninstall is the same given the cmake_uninstall.cmake files were essentially
> the same.
>
> Getting cmake to correctly create the build.ninja uninstall target should be
> enough to get the ninja uninstall working as well.

Remember that cmake is a tool for developers. Installing and uninstalling several times an hour isn’t uncommon when coding or debugging.

As for the rest, seems like a lot of work when `xargs rm < install_manifest.txt` works well (though it does leave the directory structure, but the goal is to get rid of the installable modules and old compiled scheme files so that the don’t confuse the new build). It also has the advantage of not talking to cmake so it’s not affected by changes in the source directory.

Incidentally, if you’ve already deleted install_manifest.txt, `rm -rf <prefix>/lib/gnucash` will get rid of enough to get a clean build.

Re: [GNC] GnuCash 3.2 Released

Geert,

I had realised the same thing about needing to uninstall before building and
shifted the section on uninstalling to before the section on Building on the
Wiki page and specifically mentioned using the previous version's build
directory. I might make the note clearer about retaining the build directory
for uninstalling.

From the tarball the source directory installs with the version number
attached (from github it is a generic gnucash). It has become my practice to
put the build directory inside the source directory (I have had no problems
with that) so it is clearly identified which version it is for, or
alternatively one could tag the build directory with the version number as
there is no real need to keep the source directory once the build is done.
I'm not pushed for space so I don't bother to delete the source files until
I've installed another version and I'm happy with it but others won't
necessarily have that luxury.

At the moment the uninstall from a ninja build I did is a kludge. I will see
if I can find how/where cmake generates the install secion when creating
build.ninja and populate the uninstall target. If I succeed, i'll generate a
patch.

 I take John's point that ninja,  and cmake to a lesser extent now that it
is the only build configuration route, are primarily developers tools.

12