Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Dale Alspach-2
I suspect that as Adrien indicated many users expect to see an unsubscribe
link at the bottom of the email. The link executes a script which produces
a page with the extracted actual "To:" email address and a "unsubscribe
this address" button. It might be worth exploring whether such a thing has
already been written for mailman lists. Here is a link about one solution
https://mediaserve.com/knowledgebase/93/How-do-I-add-an-unsubscribe-link-to-mailman-mailings.html

Dale

On Fri, Sep 20, 2019 at 2:07 PM Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> That’s a bummer.
>
> It could also be users who can’t read the unsubscribe instructions or
> don’t follow them and then report the list as spam because they still get
> messages after they ‘asked us’ to unsubscribe them.
>
> I turned off the password reminder feature long ago, as I thought it was a
> bad idea to send passwords via e-mail. It probably should be off by
> default. I don’t get such messages for any other site - ever. I don’t
> understand why mailman even offers it. One can always just reset their
> password if they forget it or don’t manage their passwords.
>
> The only other option I can think of to get this info to them would be to
> parse the mailman db for the yahoo addresses and send to them personally. I
> would include that they should preferably re-subscribe with a different
> mail provider as no one knows when Yahoo will unblock the list again.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> > On Sep 20, 2019 w38d263, at 12:37 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Starting around September 10, Yahoo appears to have started blocking
> > SMTP (email) originating at code.gnucash.org.  This means that yahoo
> > users have been prevented from receiving any mail (including list mail
> > and bug mail), and worse, they've been blocked from sending mail *to*
> > the list as well (due to sender-verify blocking them because yahoo is
> > blocking us).
> >
> > Unfortunately, this appears to be a "due to user complaints" blockage,
> > and Yahoo is pretty tight-lipped about why it actually is blocking.
> > This could be due to people flagging gnucash email as spam (which might
> > include the monthly password reminders), or it could be as stupid as
> > people receiving the email but never reading it.  But like I said, Yahoo
> > won't tell me the source of the blockage.
> >
> > I am hoping this will clear up on it's own.  If not, I might need to
> > literally unsubscribe every yahoo user and then request each person to
> > re-subscribe themselves to the list (once email clears up).
> >
> > I realize that no Yahoo users will actually *see* this email, but I'm
> > hoping they will eventually be able to google for gnucash email yahoo
> > problem or something like that and this email will pop up in a couple
> > days in the archives.  Alternately, email will clean up and the queue
> > will get flushed.
> >
> > If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > --
> >       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
> >       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
> >       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

GnuCash - User mailing list
Perhaps it's time to look into ways to decouple our mailing list more fully from nabble (which is where the biggest misunderstandings seem to originate with regards to list subscriptions). Gnucash.org shouldn't suffer because of nabble's practices.

David

[hidden email]> wrote:

> That’s a bummer.
>
> It could also be users who can’t read the unsubscribe instructions or
> don’t follow them and then report the list as spam because they still get
> messages after they ‘asked us’ to unsubscribe them.
>
> I turned off the password reminder feature long ago, as I thought it was a
> bad idea to send passwords via e-mail. It probably should be off by
> default. I don’t get such messages for any other site - ever. I don’t
> understand why mailman even offers it. One can always just reset their
> password if they forget it or don’t manage their passwords.
>
> The only other option I can think of to get this info to them would be to
> parse the mailman db for the yahoo addresses and send to them personally. I
> would include that they should preferably re-subscribe with a different
> mail provider as no one knows when Yahoo will unblock the list again.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>

> > On Sep 20, 2019 w38d263, at 12:37 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Starting around September 10, Yahoo appears to have started blocking
> > SMTP (email) originating at code.gnucash.org.  This means that yahoo
> > users have been prevented from receiving any mail (including list mail
> > and bug mail), and worse, they've been blocked from sending mail *to*
> > the list as well (due to sender-verify blocking them because yahoo is
> > blocking us).
> >
> > Unfortunately, this appears to be a "due to user complaints" blockage,
> > and Yahoo is pretty tight-lipped about why it actually is blocking.
> > This could be due to people flagging gnucash email as spam (which might
> > include the monthly password reminders), or it could be as stupid as
> > people receiving the email but never reading it.  But like I said, Yahoo
> > won't tell me the source of the blockage.
> >
> > I am hoping this will clear up on it's own.  If not, I might need to
> > literally unsubscribe every yahoo user and then request each person to
> > re-subscribe themselves to the list (once email clears up).
> >
> > I realize that no Yahoo users will actually *see* this email, but I'm
> > hoping they will eventually be able to google for gnucash email yahoo
> > problem or something like that and this email will pop up in a couple
> > days in the archives.  Alternately, email will clean up and the queue
> > will get flushed.
> >
> > If anyone has other ideas, please let me know.
> >
> > -derek
> >
> > --
> >       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745
> >       [hidden email]             www.ihtfp.com
> >       Computer and Internet Security Consultant

Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Derek Atkins-3
HI,

D via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Perhaps it's time to look into ways to decouple our mailing list more
> fully from nabble (which is where the biggest misunderstandings seem
> to originate with regards to list subscriptions). Gnucash.org
> shouldn't suffer because of nabble's practices.

I don't think this has anything to do with nabble.

> David

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Maybe not, but Adrien hypothesized that users may report Gnucash mail as spam because they ask us to unsubscribe, when they are subscribed to nabble. I was responding to that, prematurely.

David

On September 23, 2019, at 10:13 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

HI,

D via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:

> Perhaps it's time to look into ways to decouple our mailing list more
> fully from nabble (which is where the biggest misunderstandings seem
> to originate with regards to list subscriptions). Gnucash.org
> shouldn't suffer because of nabble's practices.

I don't think this has anything to do with nabble.

> David

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: [GNC] [GNC-dev] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Adrien Monteleone-2
I didn’t consider Nabble when I mentioned that, but it would be an additional complication.

Since subsequent delivery reports apparently indicate all is well, perhaps the initial blocking wasn’t as catastrophic as suspected.

The mailing list has been around for many years, and an occasional outage/hiccup for a single domain is not out of the ordinary. If it becomes a pattern, then certainly, it would be worth investigating.

> On Sep 23, 2019 w39d266, at 8:35 PM, D via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Maybe not, but Adrien hypothesized that users may report Gnucash mail as spam because they ask us to unsubscribe, when they are subscribed to nabble. I was responding to that, prematurely.
>
> David
>
> On September 23, 2019, at 10:13 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> D via gnucash-user <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Perhaps it's time to look into ways to decouple our mailing list more
>> fully from nabble (which is where the biggest misunderstandings seem
>> to originate with regards to list subscriptions). Gnucash.org
>> shouldn't suffer because of nabble's practices.
>
> I don't think this has anything to do with nabble.
>
>> David

Re: [GNC] Yahoo blocking GnuCash Email

Stan Brown
And of course Usenet newsgroups are a way around all of these
difficulties. They also provide MUCH better thread tracking than any
email client I've seen. I don't know why Usenet was allowed to either on
the vine.

Stan Brown
Tompkins County, New York, USA
https://BrownMath.com
http://OakRoadSystems.com

On 9/24/19 8:57 AM, Stan Brown wrote:
> And of course Usenet newsgroups are a way around all of these
> difficulties. They also provide MUCH better thread tracking than any
> email client I've seen. I don't know why Usenet was allowed to either on
> the vine.

Several reasons:

My ISP was, and sort-of still is, my ISP. Originally, they provided
Usenet access. Then, "for better service" they cut out all but the "big
five" news groups, but they did not lower their rates. Later, they cut
out Usenet altogether. Still, they did not lower the rates. So I had to
get Usenet at extra cost from an independent source.

On the newsgroups on which I participated, more and more trolls and
spammers showed up with no knowledge of good manners and politeness.
They did not even know enough to refrain from top posting. Most of them
had no Usenet client, no e-mail client. They did everything using a web
browser. And it showed.

So its use has pretty much ended. Most of what I used to do on Usenet I
now do in e-mail mailing lists.

And the younger people I know do not even use e-mail at all; they use
Facebook messages. And I am told by the younger friends that even that
is old hat and they use something else on their 'cell 'phones.

--
  .~.  Jean-David Beyer
  /V\  PGP-Key:166D840A 0C610C8B