Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

123

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
Yes, it is the alignment of numbers that is the problem.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/18/2018 06:35 AM, Christopher Lam wrote:

> [...]
>     rename to Capital, Income and Expense).  So the report does look funny
>     with the section titles repeated due to my top level accounts.
>
>     I was going to include the eguile version -- but it no longer wants to
>     link in when I put that code back in place.  Wish I truly
>     understood how
>     that linkage works.  Doesn't seem to function as documented -- at
>     least
>     as to how I read/understood the document!  But, since eguile is going
>     away, that probably doesn't matter.
>
>     Also, is there a way to dump the html version of the reports.  I think
>     that is what you wanted but I've only figured out how to capture
>     the pdf
>     version to a file rather than letting it print.  Seems strange as I do
>     have 20 years on Unix type systems -- but mostly as an Oracle DBA and
>     didn't delve deep into the O/S.  Even my korn shell scripting ability
>     has atrophied in the past year.
>
>     I need to head out and attempt to destroy some bamboo that the
>     previous
>     owner let escape.  Plus put in the column bases for the greenhouse the
>     wife wants for her orchids.  Isn't retirement fun!  How did I ever
>     have
>     time to make the daily trip to downtown Seattle for a living?
>
>     --Steve
>

>     Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>     253-350-0166
>     -------------------------------------------
>     GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8
>
>     On 06/15/2018 09:06 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:
>     > Thanks; this is from an old version of eguile balsheet which is
>     > already obsolete in 3.X onwards, and I know it'll be more
>     difficult to
>     > fix as time goes by. There are already changes from timepair to
>     > time64, compulsory CSS, removal of slots access... There is no
>     active
>     > eguile maintainer anymore, and I really cannot understand eguile.
>     >
>     > Would you be kind to comment upon the HTML output (File > Export >
>     > Export Report) of the standard (non-eguile) balsheet, with desired
>     > amendments? I can try to amend with backward compatibility.
>     >
>     > For bonus points, if you have a sample datafile with accounts and
>     > transactions that highlight the various functionality of balsheet
>     > (e.g. income/expense, equity, any foreign currency conversions or
>     > stock purchases - I'm sure the wife will have them in her textbooks)
>     > I'm sure I can fix the standard balsheet to her standards!
>     >
>     > So, wishlist:
>     >
>     >   * datafile with example transactions
>     >   * current html report of standard balsheet
>     >   * annotated ideal report produced by standard balsheet :)
>     >
>     > Let's keep this discussion public for external input too.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Christopher Lam
Hi Stephen

One of the most unique features of gnucash is the multilevel account
hierarchy, meaning both parent accounts and child accounts can carry
balances.

Would you mind liaising with the house accountant to ask about the
following COA and the resulting balance sheet

Asset (bal=$0.00)
Asset:Bank1 (bal=$0.00)
Asset:Bank1:Savings (bal=$100)
Asset:Bank1:Bonds (bal=$2000)
Asset:Bank2:Current (bal=$500)
Asset:House (bal=$100,000, cost price)
Asset:ForeignBank:Savings (bal=GBP 500, bought last year at a rate of 1
GBP = 1.25 USD
Asset:Broker (bal=$2000) i.e.cash with broker
Asset:Broker:Funds [stock] (bal=20units bought @ $200 each)
Liability (bal=$0)
Liability:Bank2 (bal=$0)
Liability:Bank2:Loan (bal=-$9,000)
Liability:Bank2:Creditcard (bal=-$500)

Let's assume the current valuation of the unit funds is $250 i.e.
unrealized gains of $1000; the house is currently valued at $110,000,
and today 1 GBP = 1.30 USD :)

How should the full expanded balance sheet look like? (XLS is fine) (if
there are missing lines e.g. retained earnings etc please make up
numbers and offer exact source)

Thanks!

On 19/06/18 00:16, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
>>      > Export Report) of the standard (non-eguile) balsheet, with desired
>>      > amendments? I can try to amend with backward compatibility.
>>      >
>>      > For bonus points, if you have a sample datafile with accounts and
>>      > transactions that highlight the various functionality of balsheet
>>      > (e.g. income/expense, equity, any foreign currency conversions or
>>      > stock purchases - I'm sure the wife will have them in her textbooks)
>>      > I'm sure I can fix the standard balsheet to her standards!
>>      >
>>      > So, wishlist:
>>      >
>>      >   * datafile with example transactions
>>      >   * current html report of standard balsheet
>>      >   * annotated ideal report produced by standard balsheet :)
>>      >
>>      > Let's keep this discussion public for external input too.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
I decided to pull down the latest version (I know a new one is coming in
just a few days) to be sure I could compile it and utilize the latest
versions of the reports for this mock company.

But, I ran into a slight problem installing the packages and hope I made
the right choice:  $ sudo apt-get install swig2.0
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package swig2.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source
However the following packages replace it:
  swig:i386 swig

E: Package 'swig2.0' has no installation candidate

$ sudo apt-get install swig
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following additional packages will be installed:
  swig3.0

Someone may wish to update the
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04 page I was following.
I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.

--Steve

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
Then I ran into this problem.  Researching.

I don't see 'gwenhywfar' listed on the installation page.  Attempting to
install says package not found.

$ cmake -D CMAKE_INStALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ../gnucash-3.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.1")
-- Checking for module 'glib-2.0>=2.40'
--   Found glib-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gio-2.0'
--   Found gio-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gobject-2.0>=2.20'$ cmake -D
CMAKE_INStALL_PREFIX=/usr/local ../gnucash-3.1
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc
-- Check for working C compiler: /usr/bin/cc -- works
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info
-- Detecting C compiler ABI info - done
-- Detecting C compile features
-- Detecting C compile features - done
-- Detecting CXX compiler ABI info
-- Detecting CXX compile features
-- Detecting CXX compile features - done
-- Found PkgConfig: /usr/bin/pkg-config (found version "0.29.1")
-- Checking for module 'glib-2.0>=2.40'
--   Found glib-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gio-2.0'
--   Found gio-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gobject-2.0>=2.20'
--   Found gobject-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gmodule-2.0>=2.20'
--   Found gmodule-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'gthread-2.0>=2.20'
--   Found gthread-2.0, version 2.56.1
-- Checking for module 'libxml-2.0>=2.7.0'
--   Found libxml-2.0, version 2.9.4
-- Checking for module 'libxslt'
--   Found libxslt, version 1.1.29
-- Checking for module 'webkit2gtk-4.0'
--   Found webkit2gtk-4.0, version 2.20.3
-- Checking for module 'gtk+-3.0>=3.10.0'
--   Found gtk+-3.0, version 3.22.30
-- Checking for module 'zlib'
--   Found zlib, version 1.2.11
-- Found Gettext: /usr/bin/msgmerge (found suitable version "0.19.8.1",
minimum required is "0.19.6")
-- Using guile-2.0.x
-- Using guile SRFI-64
-- Checking for module 'gwenhywfar'
--   No package 'gwenhywfar' found
CMake Error at /usr/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:415
(message):
  A required package was not found
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  /usr/share/cmake-3.10/Modules/FindPkgConfig.cmake:593
(_pkg_check_modules_internal)
  common/cmake_modules/GncFindPkgConfig.cmake:253 (PKG_CHECK_MODULES)
  CMakeLists.txt:347 (GNC_PKG_CHECK_MODULES)

See also "/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/mybuild/CMakeFiles/CMakeOutput.log".

On 06/20/2018 12:34 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> I decided to pull down the latest version (I know a new one is coming in
> just a few days) to be sure I could compile it and utilize the latest
> versions of the reports for this mock company.
>
> But, I ran into a slight problem installing the packages and hope I made
> the right choice:  $ sudo apt-get install swig2.0
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> Package swig2.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> However the following packages replace it:
>   swig:i386 swig
>
> E: Package 'swig2.0' has no installation candidate
>

> $ sudo apt-get install swig
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> The following additional packages will be installed:
>   swig3.0
>

> Someone may wish to update the
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04 page I was following.
> I'm on Ubuntu 18.04.
>
> --Steve
>
> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
> 253-350-0166

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

nvsoar
Seems to me that I read recently that gwenhywfar is an AQ Banking
package.  On the same google page is an entry that it can be downloaded
from Source Forge.
nvsoar

On 06/20/18 13:17, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
>> just a few days) to be sure I could compile it and utilize the latest
>> versions of the reports for this mock company.
>>
>> But, I ran into a slight problem installing the packages and hope I made
>> the right choice:  $ sudo apt-get install swig2.0
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> Package swig2.0 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>> is only available from another source
>> However the following packages replace it:
>>    swig:i386 swig
>>
>> E: Package 'swig2.0' has no installation candidate
>>

>> $ sudo apt-get install swig
>> Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree
>> Reading state information... Done
>> The following additional packages will be installed:

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
Thank you.  Found those entries and also found I had missed to OFX
portion -- but apt-get complains on that one:

$ sudo apt-get install libofx6 libofx4 libofx-dev
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package libofx6 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
is only available from another source

E: Package 'libofx6' has no installation candidate
E: Unable to locate package libofx4

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/20/2018 01:32 PM, nvsoar wrote:

> [...]
>>> versions of the reports for this mock company.
>>>
>>> But, I ran into a slight problem installing the packages and hope I
>>> made
>>> the right choice:  $ sudo apt-get install swig2.0
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> Package swig2.0 is not available, but is referred to by another
>>> package.
>>> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
>>> is only available from another source
>>> However the following packages replace it:
>>>    swig:i386 swig
>>>
>>> E: Package 'swig2.0' has no installation candidate
>>>

>>> $ sudo apt-get install swig
>>> Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree
>>> Reading state information... Done
>>> The following additional packages will be installed:

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
Found libofx7 and installed that instead of libofx6 and libofx4.

After a few other missed steps I now have completed the "cmake
../gnucash-3.1" step  However the "make" step has problems:

[ 29%] Built target test-core-guile
Scanning dependencies of target scm-test-core
[ 29%] Generating
../../lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/unittest-support.go
wrote
`/home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/mybuild/lib/gnucash/scm/ccache/2.0/gnucash/unittest-support.go'
[ 29%] Built target scm-test-core
Scanning dependencies of target gtest
[ 29%] Building CXX object
common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc.o
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc: In destructor ‘virtual testing::Test::~Test()’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:1897:10: error: type ‘const class
testing::internal::scoped_ptr<testing::internal::GTestFlagSaver>’
argument given to ‘delete’, expected pointer
   delete gtest_flag_saver_;
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc: At global scope:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:2177:1: error: prototype for
‘testing::TestInfo::TestInfo(const string&, const string&, const char*,
const char*, testing::internal::TypeId,
testing::internal::TestFactoryBase*)’ does not match any in class
‘testing::TestInfo’
 TestInfo::TestInfo(const std::string& a_test_case_name,
 ^~~~~~~~
In file included from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-internal.h:39:0,
                 from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:58,
                 from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:801:35:
error: candidates are: testing::TestInfo::TestInfo(const testing::TestInfo&)
   GTEST_DISALLOW_COPY_AND_ASSIGN_(TestInfo);
                                   ^
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-port.h:918:3:
note: in definition of macro ‘GTEST_DISALLOW_COPY_AND_ASSIGN_’
   type(type const &) GTEST_CXX11_EQUALS_DELETE_; \
   ^~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:0:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:756:3:
error:                 testing::TestInfo::TestInfo(const string&, const
string&, const char*, const char*, testing::internal::CodeLocation,
testing::internal::TypeId, testing::internal::TestFactoryBase*)
   TestInfo(const std::string& test_case_name,
   ^~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc: In function ‘testing::TestInfo*
testing::internal::MakeAndRegisterTestInfo(const char*, const char*,
const char*, const char*, testing::internal::TypeId,
testing::internal::SetUpTestCaseFunc,
testing::internal::TearDownTestCaseFunc,
testing::internal::TestFactoryBase*)’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:2227:45: error: no matching function for
call to ‘testing::TestInfo::TestInfo(const char*&, const char*&, const
char*&, const char*&, const void*&, testing::internal::TestFactoryBase*&)’
                    fixture_class_id, factory);
                                             ^
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:0:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:756:3:
note: candidate: testing::TestInfo::TestInfo(const string&, const
string&, const char*, const char*, testing::internal::CodeLocation,
testing::internal::TypeId, testing::internal::TestFactoryBase*)
   TestInfo(const std::string& test_case_name,
   ^~~~~~~~
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:756:3:
note:   candidate expects 7 arguments, 6 provided
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc: At global scope:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:3486:76: error: definition of
‘testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char*, int, const
testing::Message&)’ is not in namespace enclosing ‘testing::ScopedTrace’
[-fpermissive]
 ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char* file, int line, const Message&
message)

^
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:3486:1: error: prototype for
‘testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char*, int, const
testing::Message&)’ does not match any in class ‘testing::ScopedTrace’
 ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char* file, int line, const Message&
message)
 ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-internal.h:39:0,
                 from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:58,
                 from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:2182:35:
error: candidates are: testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const
testing::ScopedTrace&)
   GTEST_DISALLOW_COPY_AND_ASSIGN_(ScopedTrace);
                                   ^
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-port.h:918:3:
note: in definition of macro ‘GTEST_DISALLOW_COPY_AND_ASSIGN_’
   type(type const &) GTEST_CXX11_EQUALS_DELETE_; \
   ^~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:0:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:2169:3:
error:                 testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char*,
int, const string&)
   ScopedTrace(const char* file, int line, const std::string& message) {
   ^~~~~~~~~~~
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:2159:3:
error:                 testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char*,
int, const char*)
   ScopedTrace(const char* file, int line, const char* message) {
[...]

/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:2154:3:
error:                 template<class T>
testing::ScopedTrace::ScopedTrace(const char*, int, const T&)
   ScopedTrace(const char* file, int line, const T& message) {
   ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:3497:27: error: definition of
‘testing::ScopedTrace::~ScopedTrace()’ is not in namespace enclosing
‘testing::ScopedTrace’ [-fpermissive]
 ScopedTrace::~ScopedTrace()
                           ^
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc: In function ‘void
testing::internal::InitGoogleTestImpl(int*, CharType**)’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:4983:3: error: ‘g_argvs’ was not declared in
this scope
   g_argvs.clear();
   ^~~~~~~
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest.cc:4983:3: note: suggested alternative: ‘argv’
   g_argvs.clear();
   ^~~~~~~
   argv
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:43:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-death-test.cc: In function ‘void
testing::internal::SplitString(const string&, char,
std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >*)’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-death-test.cc:1208:13: error: ‘void
testing::internal::SplitString(const string&, char,
std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >*)’ was declared ‘extern’
and later ‘static’ [-fpermissive]
 static void SplitString(const ::std::string& str, char delimiter,
             ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:58:0,
                 from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-internal.h:595:6:
note: previous declaration of ‘void testing::internal::SplitString(const
string&, char, std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >*)’
 void SplitString(const ::std::string& str, char delimiter,
      ^~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:45:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-port.cc: In function ‘const
std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >&
testing::internal::GetInjectableArgvs()’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-port.cc:689:49: error: ambiguating new
declaration of ‘const std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >&
testing::internal::GetInjectableArgvs()’
 const ::std::vector<testing::internal::string>& GetInjectableArgvs() {
                                                 ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-internal.h:39:0,
                 from
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/gtest.h:58,
                 from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:39:
/home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-port.h:1549:26:
note: old declaration ‘std::vector<std::__cxx11::basic_string<char> >
testing::internal::GetInjectableArgvs()’
 std::vector<std::string> GetInjectableArgvs();
                          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:48:0:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-typed-test.cc: In member function ‘const char*
testing::internal::TypedTestCasePState::VerifyRegisteredTestNames(const
char*, int, const char*)’:
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-typed-test.cc:71:31: error:
‘defined_test_names_’ was not declared in this scope
     for (DefinedTestIter it = defined_test_names_.begin();
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-typed-test.cc:71:31: note: suggested
alternative: ‘DefinedTestIter’
     for (DefinedTestIter it = defined_test_names_.begin();
                               ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                               DefinedTestIter
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-typed-test.cc:88:29: error:
‘defined_test_names_’ was not declared in this scope
   for (DefinedTestIter it = defined_test_names_.begin();
                             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-typed-test.cc:88:29: note: suggested
alternative: ‘DefinedTestIter’
   for (DefinedTestIter it = defined_test_names_.begin();
                             ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                             DefinedTestIter
common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/build.make:62: recipe for target
'common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc.o'
failed
make[2]: ***
[common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc.o]
Error 1
CMakeFiles/Makefile2:1776: recipe for target
'common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/all' failed
make[1]: *** [common/test-core/CMakeFiles/gtest.dir/all] Error 2
make: *** [all] Error 2

[...]

Christopher

Going to the latest version is stymied until I hear back from one of the
developers on what went wrong with make.

I'm new to using GnuCash so have not delved into the Foreign currency or
stocks.

So, let's build a COA together and see what happens (on paper):

100 - Asset
110 -   " : Bank1
112 -   " :    "  :Checking
114 -   " :    "  : Savings
116 -   " :    "  : Bonds
120 -   " : Bank2
130 -   " : ForeignBank   (GBP currency)
140 -   " : Broker
142 -   " :    "  : Cash
144 -   " :    "  : Stock
150 -   " : House

200 - Liability
220 -   " : Bank2
222 -   " :   "  : Loan
224 -   " :   "  : Creditcard

300 - Equity

400 - Income

500 - Expense

We may fill in the above further as we work along.  So, our initial
transaction will be to setup our initial balances:
[Normally we would setup somewhat prior to the above purchases and buy
things out of the checking account -- but, we just installed the
software and are starting in the middle.]

Transaction 001
    114 Debit $100
    116 Debit $2000
    120 Debit $500
    130 Debit GBP 500  (equivalent to $625 at time of purchase)
    142 Debit $2000
    144 Debit $4000 (20 units @ $200)
    222 Credit $9000
    224 Credit $500
    300 Debit $275   [Note, we are below water here.  Equity should be a
credit account and we are in the hole.]

At this point I went to the house accountant and asked about unrealized
gain and how to book it.  She said you don't.  Not until there is an
event in which it is sold or traded.  For tomorrow GBP might drop back
to parity, the stock might crash, and the housing market could implode.

So, we may need input from others who might have a different viewpoint.

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/18/2018 03:32 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:

> [...]
>>>      >
>>>      > For bonus points, if you have a sample datafile with accounts
>>> and
>>>      > transactions that highlight the various functionality of
>>> balsheet
>>>      > (e.g. income/expense, equity, any foreign currency
>>> conversions or
>>>      > stock purchases - I'm sure the wife will have them in her
>>> textbooks)
>>>      > I'm sure I can fix the standard balsheet to her standards!
>>>      >
>>>      > So, wishlist:
>>>      >
>>>      >   * datafile with example transactions
>>>      >   * current html report of standard balsheet
>>>      >   * annotated ideal report produced by standard balsheet :)
>>>      >
>>>      > Let's keep this discussion public for external input too.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Christopher Lam
Hi Stephen

Thank you this is useful.

Confirms my suspicions that unrealized gains shouldn't appear in balsheet.

 From your illustrations below, the only addition I'd offer is there
wouldn't be a separate 142 Broker:Cash account, it'd be "140 Broker
$2000", "144 Broker:Stock $4000" entries... would this be a legitimate
amendment?

And are multiple-date balsheets legit?

Ta

On 22/06/18 09:09, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
>> Liability (bal=$0)
>> Liability:Bank2 (bal=$0)
>> Liability:Bank2:Loan (bal=-$9,000)
>> Liability:Bank2:Creditcard (bal=-$500)
>>
>> Let's assume the current valuation of the unit funds is $250 i.e.
>> unrealized gains of $1000; the house is currently valued at $110,000,
>> and today 1 GBP = 1.30 USD :)
>>
>> How should the full expanded balance sheet look like? (XLS is fine)
>> (if there are missing lines e.g. retained earnings etc please make up
>> numbers and offer exact source)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On 19/06/18 00:16, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>>> Yes, it is the alignment of numbers that is the problem.
>>>
>>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 253-350-0166
>>> GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Op donderdag 21 juni 2018 00:01:32 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> Found libofx7 and installed that instead of libofx6 and libofx4.

These numbers seem to increase regularly... I have updated the install
instruction to only install libofx-dev. This will automatically pull in the
corresponding libofx<n> and its dependencies.

> After a few other missed steps I now have completed the "cmake
> ../gnucash-3.1" step  However the "make" step has problems:

<snip>

> In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:

<snip>

> In file included from
> /home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-inte
> rnal.h:39:0, from

It looks like the build is mixing two versions of googletest. One installed
systemwide (/usr/src/gtest) and one in /home/steve/Projects/googletest.

I assume you have followed instructions to download googletest and then set
GMOCK_ROOT and GTEST_ROOT when running cmake.

A recent commit should have solved this issue, but your experience seems to
suggest otherwise.

What source are you building from ? A tarball or git ? If git, what commit
have you currently checked out ? You can determine this by running
git describe
in your git checkout.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
The accountant is real uncomfortable with removing the cash account.
She feels that the children should add up to the total for the parent.
Given that GnuCash allows a parent to also have funds/transactions in
addition to the children, I guess the work around would be to treat
those as the initial, unidentified, child.  That way, when you add up
the column the total would include the contribution from the parent.

A balance sheet is made at a single point in time, such as, close of
business on xxxx.   [or start of business, ..., midday, etc]

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/21/2018 11:15 PM, Christopher Lam wrote:

> [...]
>>> Asset:Bank1 (bal=$0.00)
>>> Asset:Bank1:Savings (bal=$100)
>>> Asset:Bank1:Bonds (bal=$2000)
>>> Asset:Bank2:Current (bal=$500)
>>> Asset:House (bal=$100,000, cost price)
>>> Asset:ForeignBank:Savings (bal=GBP 500, bought last year at a rate of
>>> 1 GBP = 1.25 USD
>>> Asset:Broker (bal=$2000) i.e.cash with broker
>>> Asset:Broker:Funds [stock] (bal=20units bought @ $200 each)
>>> Liability (bal=$0)
>>> Liability:Bank2 (bal=$0)
>>> Liability:Bank2:Loan (bal=-$9,000)
>>> Liability:Bank2:Creditcard (bal=-$500)
>>>
>>> Let's assume the current valuation of the unit funds is $250 i.e.
>>> unrealized gains of $1000; the house is currently valued at $110,000,
>>> and today 1 GBP = 1.30 USD :)
>>>
>>> How should the full expanded balance sheet look like? (XLS is fine)
>>> (if there are missing lines e.g. retained earnings etc please make up

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/22/2018 12:29 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> Op donderdag 21 juni 2018 00:01:32 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
>> Found libofx7 and installed that instead of libofx6 and libofx4.
>>
> These numbers seem to increase regularly... I have updated the install
> instruction to only install libofx-dev. This will automatically pull in the
> corresponding libofx<n> and its dependencies.

Thank you.  Wish I knew more about the innards of Linus.  Still feel
like I need someone to hold my hand!
<snip>

>> In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
> <snip>
>
>> In file included from
>> /home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-inte
>> rnal.h:39:0, from
> It looks like the build is mixing two versions of googletest. One installed
> systemwide (/usr/src/gtest) and one in /home/steve/Projects/googletest.
>
> I assume you have followed instructions to download googletest and then set
> GMOCK_ROOT and GTEST_ROOT when running cmake.
>
> A recent commit should have solved this issue, but your experience seems to
> suggest otherwise.

Yes, is there a command to remove one?  Which one?  Or could I move the
most recent (I presume /home/steve/Projects/googletest) up the /usr/src?
> What source are you building from ? A tarball or git ? If git, what commit
> have you currently checked out ? You can determine this by running
> git describe
> in your git checkout.

Not git.  Still haven't figured that piece out yet.  I need to do that.

I followed instructions from https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04 and pulled the source
from
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/3.1/
and clicked on the green button that downloaded:  gnucash-3.1-1.tar.gz
<https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/3.1/gnucash-3.1-1.tar.gz/download>.
gunzipped that and tar -xf ....  into /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/.
> Geert

Thanks Geert.
--Steve

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Geert Janssens-4
Op vrijdag 22 juni 2018 19:09:47 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:

> On 06/22/2018 12:29 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op donderdag 21 juni 2018 00:01:32 CEST schreef Stephen M. Butler:
> >> Found libofx7 and installed that instead of libofx6 and libofx4.
> >
> > These numbers seem to increase regularly... I have updated the install
> > instruction to only install libofx-dev. This will automatically pull in
> > the
> > corresponding libofx<n> and its dependencies.
>
> Thank you.  Wish I knew more about the innards of Linus.  Still feel
> like I need someone to hold my hand!
> <snip>
>
> >> In file included from /usr/src/gtest/src/gtest-all.cc:42:0:
> > <snip>
> >
> >> In file included from
> >> /home/steve/Projects/googletest/googletest/include/gtest/internal/gtest-i
> >> nte rnal.h:39:0, from
> >
> > It looks like the build is mixing two versions of googletest. One
> > installed
> > systemwide (/usr/src/gtest) and one in /home/steve/Projects/googletest.
> >
> > I assume you have followed instructions to download googletest and then
> > set
> > GMOCK_ROOT and GTEST_ROOT when running cmake.
> >
> > A recent commit should have solved this issue, but your experience seems
> > suggest otherwise.
>
> Yes, is there a command to remove one?  Which one?  Or could I move the
> most recent (I presume /home/steve/Projects/googletest) up the /usr/src?
>
> > What source are you building from ? A tarball or git ? If git, what commit
> > have you currently checked out ? You can determine this by running
> > git describe
> > in your git checkout.
>
> Not git.  Still haven't figured that piece out yet.  I need to do that.
>
> I followed instructions from https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building and
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/BuildUbuntu16.04 and pulled the source
> from
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20(stable)/3.1/
> and clicked on the green button that downloaded:  gnucash-3.1-1.tar.gz
> <https://sourceforge.net/projects/gnucash/files/gnucash%20%28stable%29/3.1/g
> nucash-3.1-1.tar.gz/download>.  gunzipped that and tar -xf ....  into
> /home/steve/Projects/GnuCash/.

Ok, in that case I think the easiest way forward is to not use GMOCK_ROOT and
GTEST_ROOT and let gnucash discover your system installed version of
googletest and ignore the one you downloaded in your homedirectory.

You may have to add -dev packages for googletest and mayby googlemock (I don't
know the exact names on Ubuntu). And be sure to remove your build directory
and start again from running cmake.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
Geert,

Thank you.  Thank you.  I now have a working version Version: 3.1 Build
ID: 3.1+ (2018-04-28) up and running on Ubuntu 18.04

On 06/22/2018 11:32 AM, Geert Janssens wrote:
<snip large chunk>

> Ok, in that case I think the easiest way forward is to not use
> GMOCK_ROOT and
> GTEST_ROOT and let gnucash discover your system installed version of
> googletest and ignore the one you downloaded in your homedirectory.
>
> You may have to add -dev packages for googletest and mayby googlemock (I don't
> know the exact names on Ubuntu). And be sure to remove your build directory
> and start again from running cmake.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

It appears that /usr/src/gtest and /usr/src/gmock are from 2014.  Also
appears the packages were not installed so went searching for
google-test and google-mock and did these commands:

sudo apt-get install googletest
sudo apt-get install googlemock
sudo apt-get install libgtest-dev

However, the "make" step complains about entries in /usr/src/gtest.  So
I removed the three packages and tried again.  "cmake" complains gtest
not present.
So I removed the two directories in /usr/src (gtest and gmock) and
reinstalled the three above.

I now have these entries in /usr/src:
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   21 Dec 22  2016 gmock -> googletest/googlemock
drwxr-xr-x  4 root root 4096 Jun 22 12:22 googletest
lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root   21 Dec 22  2016 gtest -> googletest/googletest

cmake ../gnucash-3.1  worked great
make worked fine (I did see these lines but make kept running)

[ 38%] Linking CXX shared library ../../../lib/libgnc-backend-xml-utils.so
CMakeFiles/gnc-backend-xml-utils.dir/gnc-xml-backend.cpp.o: In function
`GncXmlBackend::write_to_file(bool)':
gnc-xml-backend.cpp:(.text+0x11e6): warning: the use of `mktemp' is
dangerous, better use `mkstemp' or `mkdtemp'
[ 38%] Built target gnc-backend-xml-utils

and sudo make install worked like a champ.

Again, thank you.  Could not have figured this out on my own.

--Steve

Now to mow the lawn for the weekend.  <<sigh>>

[GNC] Test Company

Stephen M. Butler
Christopher,

I have setup the COA as we discussed and entered the initial transaction.  Somehow I don't have the ForeignBank setup correctly or I'm not understanding how to mix currencies.

Please look at it and see if we can get the ForeignBank to show the proper valuation for the equity account.

XML file attached.  I had a little fun setting up the company info.

--Steve

Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
253-350-0166

On 06/21/2018 06:09 PM, Stephen M. Butler wrote:

> [...]
>> Liability (bal=$0)
>> Liability:Bank2 (bal=$0)
>> Liability:Bank2:Loan (bal=-$9,000)
>> Liability:Bank2:Creditcard (bal=-$500)
>>
>> Let's assume the current valuation of the unit funds is $250 i.e.
>> unrealized gains of $1000; the house is currently valued at $110,000,
>> and today 1 GBP = 1.30 USD :)
>>
>> How should the full expanded balance sheet look like? (XLS is fine)
>> (if there are missing lines e.g. retained earnings etc please make up
>> numbers and offer exact source)
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

>> On 19/06/18 00:16, Stephen M. Butler wrote:
>>> Yes, it is the alignment of numbers that is the problem.
>>>
>>> Stephen M Butler, PMP, PSM
>>> [hidden email]
>>> [hidden email]
>>> 253-350-0166
>>> GnuPG Fingerprint:  8A25 9726 D439 758D D846 E5D4 282A 5477 0385 81D8

CL&SB Inc.gnucash (3K) Download Attachment

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen,

You can possibly force the case of sum of the children account totals being
the parent account total by making the parent  a placeholder account. Then
it cannot have any transactions into it, only the child accounts.

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen,

There is no need to install the libofx7specifically. If you install
libofx-dev that should install the the appropriate version of the library
for your ubuntu version (i.e. libofx4 on 14.04(Trusty), libofx6 on 16.04
(Xenial) and libofx7 on 18.04 (Bionic)

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Stephen M. Butler
On 06/25/2018 01:51 AM, DaveC49 wrote:
> Stephen,
>
> You can possibly force the case of sum of the children account totals being
> the parent account total by making the parent  a placeholder account. Then
> it cannot have any transactions into it, only the child accounts.
>
> David Cousens

From a pure accounting perspective, that would be best.  However, what
should the report do/look like when the user isn't so astute?

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

David Cousens
Stephen,

As an accountant I would prefer to have parent accounts as placeholder
accounts which cannot be the target of transactions directly (this can be
set in the edit Account dialog and marks the account as read only) as the
placeholder total should then be the sum of its active child accounts. This
will give clean easy to read reports which make obvious sense.

Before you convert an existing parent account to a placeholder (by checking
the placeholder checkbox in the Edit Account dialog), you will need to
transfer any transactions into it to an appropriate child/sub-account. My
experience is that a placeholder account can have in turn child accounts
which are also placeholders as well as child active accounts, which is OK
and makes sense.

An active non-placeholder account should not have child/subaccounts,
although I don't think GnuCash actually prevents this. In this case, the
parent account total is the sum of the child subaccount totals plus the sum
of any transactions into the parent account itself. This will make a report
look to be incorrect as the sum of transactions into the parent account is
not presented separately and its total will not be the sum of the child
account totals. I can't think of a use case where this would be desirable,
but some people may be happy with that behavior. I don't think this behavior
has changed since I first checked it out in an earlier version (around 2.2 I
think).

The report is a different beast but it should reflect the above behavior and
a placeholder parent account should only show the total of its
child/subaccounts totals. If it doesn't tha indicates that it may have
already been the target of transactions when set as a placeholder and these
were not transferred to a sub-account.

If a parent account is not a placeholder account, it should behave as
described above and add the total of any transactions into it to the sum of
any child account totals. I haven't got time at the moment to check all the
reports out but I have never noticed any problems with the Balance Sheet and
Income Statement with all parent  accounts set as placeholders. There are
enough accountants using GnuCash that this would have been picked up pretty
quickly if it was not behaving as expected.

Hope this helps make sense and helps you to get GnuCash working as you want

Cheers

Re: [GNC] Fwd: The two modules

Christopher Lam
Hi Dave

It's nice to have input from someone in the know.

I have used the placeholder flag to tag accounts which are now closed,
e.g. closed bank accounts, loans paid off, old unused expense
categories. This is not expressly disallowed by the UI, and the
advantage here is the account does not appear on the transfer dialog.

The approach of the balsheet & profit&loss multicolumn report currently
in development, is to ignore the placeholder flag, and allow 2
strategies for parent/child subtotals. (These were also present in the
old balance-sheet)

1. every parent account will automatically receive amounts from the
children accounts, "recursive subtotal" e.g.

Asset $110,000 [the so-called placeholder acc]
Asset:Bank $2,000
Asset:Savings $8,000
Asset:House $100,000

I know some users will have subaccounts of their checking account for
budgeting purposes, so,

Asset:Bank: $2000 [account-total is $1800 but also includes the child $200]
Asset:Bank:Budgeted $200

2. every account displays its own amounts, ignoring children accounts...
however after each set parent+children, the whole group receives an
overriding subtotal. "Hierarchical subtotal"

Asset $0
Asset:Bank $1,800
Asset:Bank:Budgeted $200
Total Asset:Bank $2,000

Asset:Savings $8,000
Asset:House $100,000
Total Asset $110,000

The balsheet (and P&L) report in development offers both, and is
agnostic to the placeholder status. As a side effect, I've think that it
makes for a good dashboard-view of your finances. See current output, in
multicolumn in multicolumn.

https://screenshots.firefox.com/3AGgKiSkmdebjOsf/null

Left-column: profit&loss, with hierarchical subtotals
Middle-column: balance-sheet, with hierarchical subtotals
Right-column: balance-sheet, with recursive subtotals

On 28/06/18 07:41, DaveC49 wrote:

> Stephen,
>
> As an accountant I would prefer to have parent accounts as placeholder
> accounts which cannot be the target of transactions directly (this can be
> set in the edit Account dialog and marks the account as read only) as the
> placeholder total should then be the sum of its active child accounts. This
> will give clean easy to read reports which make obvious sense.
>
> Before you convert an existing parent account to a placeholder (by checking
> the placeholder checkbox in the Edit Account dialog), you will need to
> transfer any transactions into it to an appropriate child/sub-account. My
> experience is that a placeholder account can have in turn child accounts
> which are also placeholders as well as child active accounts, which is OK
> and makes sense.
>
> An active non-placeholder account should not have child/subaccounts,
> although I don't think GnuCash actually prevents this. In this case, the
> parent account total is the sum of the child subaccount totals plus the sum
> of any transactions into the parent account itself. This will make a report
> look to be incorrect as the sum of transactions into the parent account is
> not presented separately and its total will not be the sum of the child
> account totals. I can't think of a use case where this would be desirable,
> but some people may be happy with that behavior. I don't think this behavior
> has changed since I first checked it out in an earlier version (around 2.2 I
> think).
>
> The report is a different beast but it should reflect the above behavior and
> a placeholder parent account should only show the total of its
> child/subaccounts totals. If it doesn't tha indicates that it may have
> already been the target of transactions when set as a placeholder and these
> were not transferred to a sub-account.
>
> If a parent account is not a placeholder account, it should behave as
> described above and add the total of any transactions into it to the sum of
> any child account totals. I haven't got time at the moment to check all the
> reports out but I have never noticed any problems with the Balance Sheet and
> Income Statement with all parent  accounts set as placeholders. There are
> enough accountants using GnuCash that this would have been picked up pretty
> quickly if it was not behaving as expected.
>
> Hope this helps make sense and helps you to get GnuCash working as you want
>
> Cheers
>
> David Cousens
>

> -----
> David Cousens