Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Adrien,

Thanks for the pointer on how to figure the font associated with a symbol. Yes, I now see the names of all fonts for the various rupee symbols (including Helvetica).

However, when I edit the default stylesheet to use any of the the available rupee symbol fonts (I tried a couple of them - there were too many to try all of them), the tax invoice report still doesn’t show the symbol.

So for now, I am afraid I have to stick with the text version of the symbol.

Cheers.

Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 08:25:54 -0600
From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
Subject: Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice
report

In Character Viewer, look up the rupee symbol via a search. Click the glyph for it in the middle pane. You?ll then see a list of font variations on the bottom right. As you click each one, at the top right you?ll get an enlarged version and just below that, you?ll see the name of the font it belongs to.

On Jan 18, 2019, at 6:06 AM, Deva - <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

Geert is probably right.

As I mentioned in my previous post, I did try to change the default stylesheet fonts to a few commonly used fonts in documents (Arial/Helvetica/MS Sans Serif), but rupee symbol didn?t come up for any of them.

I can see from the character viewer on my Mac that there are a number of variations of the rupee symbol available, but I can?t figure out which font is used on each of those variations. So for the time being I have changed the symbol to text (INR) in the currency editor.

Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Glad to hear you can get the info you need, sorry to hear the suggestion doesn’t work.

I’d say this is bug worthy.

Op zaterdag 19 januari 2019 12:53:10 CET schreef Deva -:
> Adrien,
>
> Thanks for the pointer on how to figure the font associated with a symbol.
> Yes, I now see the names of all fonts for the various rupee symbols
> (including Helvetica).

> However, when I edit the default stylesheet to use any of the the available
> rupee symbol fonts (I tried a couple of them - there were too many to try
> all of them), the tax invoice report still doesn’t show the symbol.

> So for now, I am afraid I have to stick with the text version of the
> symbol.

Allow me to point out that the tax invoice is not affected by changes in the
default style sheet at all as far as I know.

It uses css styling, not the stylesheet editor built-in into gnucash. So to
test changes of font you will have to add a font property to the css for that
report. The easiest way is as Adrien suggested in an earlier reply via the
report's option dialog. On the Notes tab you can add custom css snippets.

I don't know off-hand what an appropriate snippet would look like in this
particular case. Perhaps someone else could provide that.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Thanks for the clarification, Geert.

I’m afraid I am not familiar with CSS styling, so I will just use the workaround for now.

Cheers.

> On 19-Jan-2019, at 6:07 PM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op zaterdag 19 januari 2019 12:53:10 CET schreef Deva -:
>> Adrien,
>>
>> Thanks for the pointer on how to figure the font associated with a symbol.
>> Yes, I now see the names of all fonts for the various rupee symbols
>> (including Helvetica).
>
>> However, when I edit the default stylesheet to use any of the the available
>> rupee symbol fonts (I tried a couple of them - there were too many to try
>> all of them), the tax invoice report still doesn’t show the symbol.
>
>> So for now, I am afraid I have to stick with the text version of the
>> symbol.
>
> Allow me to point out that the tax invoice is not affected by changes in the
> default style sheet at all as far as I know.
>
> It uses css styling, not the stylesheet editor built-in into gnucash. So to
> test changes of font you will have to add a font property to the css for that
> report. The easiest way is as Adrien suggested in an earlier reply via the
> report's option dialog. On the Notes tab you can add custom css snippets.
>
> I don't know off-hand what an appropriate snippet would look like in this
> particular case. Perhaps someone else could provide that.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Adrien,

I am happy to raise a bug, but after reading all responses on this issue, perhaps it’s not a bug even.

Geert and you pointed out that the report can be changed using CSS styling, so someone with that know-how may be able to get what they want. I am ok with the workaround for now.

Besides, if I recall correctly, Christopher also mentioned that since Tax Invoice report is eguile-based, it’s unlikely to be maintained. I am not even sure what eguile is, but I seem to like the presentation, flexibility and layout of both the balance sheet and tax invoice reports. So it’s unfortunate that the eguile reports may be going away soon.

Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Place the following in the Embedded CSS section of the Notes tab under the invoice’s options:

        * {font: “name of font"; }

This will change the font on the entire invoice. It should then render the INR currency symbol. If the font name has spaces, you must enclose it in “”.

If you only want to affect the header and actual invoice table (and not the notes section) use this:

        table {font: “name of font"; }

Note, that you can also specify a different font size, style (like bold and/or italics) and even color like so:

        * {font: “Arial" 1.5em bold italics; color: blue; }

(an ‘em’ is a relative unit for font sizes. 1 ‘em’ is 100% of whatever the base style was. Or you can use px or pt such as 16px or 16pt if you prefer.)

If you want to target only cells with currency values this *might* work:

        table.entries td > nobr:first-child { font: “name of font"; }

Also note, I don’t see a way to edit this permanently so you’d have to insert it for every invoice. (perhaps saving the report config and then specifying a different invoice number might do the trick) Otherwise, you’d have to edit taxinvoice.css but that will get overwritten when you update Gnucash to the next version.

Hope that helps.

> [...]
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
> On Jan 18, 2019, at 6:06 AM, Deva - <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]><mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
> Geert is probably right.
>
> As I mentioned in my previous post, I did try to change the default stylesheet fonts to a few commonly used fonts in documents (Arial/Helvetica/MS Sans Serif), but rupee symbol didn?t come up for any of them.
>
> I can see from the character viewer on my Mac that there are a number of variations of the rupee symbol available, but I can?t figure out which font is used on each of those variations. So for the time being I have changed the symbol to text (INR) in the currency editor.
>
> Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Fred Bone
On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 7:14, Adrien Monteleone said:

> Place the following in the Embedded CSS section of the Notes tab under the
> invoice’s options:
>

>  * {font: “name of font"; }
>

> This will change the font on the entire invoice. It should then render the
> INR currency symbol. If the font name has spaces, you must enclose it in
> “”.

NO!!!

You must enclose it in "".

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Good catch! (my font is too small to notice easily)

Sometimes I hate autocorrect. It isn’t intelligent enough to comprehend that when composing in plain-text, I probably want the literal characters I typed, not substitutions. (technically, I guess this *is* still plain text) I have mine set to replace quotes with their proper versions. I guess I’ll have to train my fingers to use proper quotes on my 3rd level keys instead or else use autocorrect to replace those with their alternate versions.

So yes, if the font name contains spaces, it must be enclosed in quotes (single or double) - the kind you get by using the key (most likely) to the immediate left of the enter/return key. (on U.S. or International keyboards)—that is, ascii 34 or 39, html entity &#34 or &#39.

Now on that point to anyone reading this thread and trying to copy/paste my sample rules - DON’T! They won’t work. You’ll need to type proper quotes in place of mine.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Fred Bone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 7:14, Adrien Monteleone said:
>
>> Place the following in the Embedded CSS section of the Notes tab under the
>> invoice’s options:
>>

>> * {font: “name of font"; }
>>

>> This will change the font on the entire invoice. It should then render the
>> INR currency symbol. If the font name has spaces, you must enclose it in
>> “”.
>
> NO!!!
>
> You must enclose it in "".

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

John Ralls-2
Adriene,

That's "smart-quotes". Unfortunately there's no control in Mail to disable it, not even setting plain text works. It can be disabled globally in System Preferences>Keyboard>Text and I think separately in TextEdit and Pages.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Good catch! (my font is too small to notice easily)
>
> Sometimes I hate autocorrect. It isn’t intelligent enough to comprehend that when composing in plain-text, I probably want the literal characters I typed, not substitutions. (technically, I guess this *is* still plain text) I have mine set to replace quotes with their proper versions. I guess I’ll have to train my fingers to use proper quotes on my 3rd level keys instead or else use autocorrect to replace those with their alternate versions.
>
> So yes, if the font name contains spaces, it must be enclosed in quotes (single or double) - the kind you get by using the key (most likely) to the immediate left of the enter/return key. (on U.S. or International keyboards)—that is, ascii 34 or 39, html entity &#34 or &#39.
>
> Now on that point to anyone reading this thread and trying to copy/paste my sample rules - DON’T! They won’t work. You’ll need to type proper quotes in place of mine.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien
>
>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 4:56 PM, Fred Bone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 7:14, Adrien Monteleone said:
>>
>>> Place the following in the Embedded CSS section of the Notes tab under the
>>> invoice’s options:
>>>

>>> * {font: “name of font"; }
>>>

>>> This will change the font on the entire invoice. It should then render the
>>> INR currency symbol. If the font name has spaces, you must enclose it in
>>> “”.
>>
>> NO!!!
>>
>> You must enclose it in "".

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Yep, figured as much. I was hoping it was just a replacement table. I generally prefer them for non-technical writing, but I probably need standard quotes more. I probably didn’t notice it before because my editor of choice at the moment is Atom which doesn’t auto-correct them. (so the setting is either not global, or Atom doesn’t hook into that service, thankfully) I can just as easily get proper quotes by using opt-[ and opt-], so I’m going to turn them off.

Thanks.

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 11:10 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adriene,
>
> That's "smart-quotes". Unfortunately there's no control in Mail to disable it, not even setting plain text works. It can be disabled globally in System Preferences>Keyboard>Text and I think separately in TextEdit and Pages.

>> On Jan 24, 2019, at 5:44 PM, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Good catch! (my font is too small to notice easily)
>>
>> Sometimes I hate autocorrect. It isn’t intelligent enough to comprehend that when composing in plain-text, I probably want the literal characters I typed, not substitutions. (technically, I guess this *is* still plain text) I have mine set to replace quotes with their proper versions. I guess I’ll have to train my fingers to use proper quotes on my 3rd level keys instead or else use autocorrect to replace those with their alternate versions.
>>
>> So yes, if the font name contains spaces, it must be enclosed in quotes (single or double) - the kind you get by using the key (most likely) to the immediate left of the enter/return key. (on U.S. or International keyboards)—that is, ascii 34 or 39, html entity &#34 or &#39.
>>
>> Now on that point to anyone reading this thread and trying to copy/paste my sample rules - DON’T! They won’t work. You’ll need to type proper quotes in place of mine.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Adrien

>>> NO!!!
>>>
>>> You must enclose it in "".

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Update:

It seems you *can* control them just for Mail.

Edit > Substitutions > Smart Quotes. (or show Substitutions and then select/unselect)

Let's see if that worked "". Yep, looks like it. Checking my system-wide preferences shows them still enabled but they rendered correctly here. Now I'll turn it back on for Mail... “”! (note, the menu preference is only available with a message window open for editing.)

> On Jan 24, 2019, at 11:10 PM, John Ralls <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Adriene,
>
> That's "smart-quotes". Unfortunately there's no control in Mail to disable it, not even setting plain text works. It can be disabled globally in System Preferences>Keyboard>Text and I think separately in TextEdit and Pages.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
Sorry Adrien, still no joy!

I was ok with changing the font on the entire invoice, so I used your first example.

In character viewer, I can see rupee symbol available in Helvetica font, so I tried using that font with and without double quote, but nothing changes.

So I tried other fonts for which rupee symbol was available (eg. Bangla MN, American Typewriter). No matter what I write in the embedded CSS section, nothing changes on the report. Not just the rupee symbol not appearing, but even the report font doesn’t seem to change with changes in CSS section.

But thank you for taking the time to research this.

Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Deva,

My apologies for your wasted time with my inaccurate code.

If you only want to change the font use this:

        * { font-family: Helvetica; }

If you use what I provided earlier:

        * { font: Helvetica; }

which is the shorthand property, it won’t work, you must at least specify a size like so:

        * { font: 1em Helvetica; }

I just tested this.

Again, my apologies. If that still doesn’t work, I’m out of ideas.

> On Jan 25, 2019, at 7:14 AM, Deva - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Sorry Adrien, still no joy!
>
> I was ok with changing the font on the entire invoice, so I used your first example.
>
> In character viewer, I can see rupee symbol available in Helvetica font, so I tried using that font with and without double quote, but nothing changes.
>
> So I tried other fonts for which rupee symbol was available (eg. Bangla MN, American Typewriter). No matter what I write in the embedded CSS section, nothing changes on the report. Not just the rupee symbol not appearing, but even the report font doesn’t seem to change with changes in CSS section.
>
> But thank you for taking the time to research this.
>
> Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Deva -
No problem, Adrien. Considering you stayed with me on this topic, I can’t really complain.

Further to your mail below, using font-family as the keyword does work!

Now, my currency symbol also shows up!

Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
Awesome. I’m glad you’ve got it working.

I’ll document this on the wiki.

> On Jan 26, 2019, at 5:51 AM, Deva - <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> No problem, Adrien. Considering you stayed with me on this topic, I can’t really complain.
>
> Further to your mail below, using font-family as the keyword does work!
>
> Now, my currency symbol also shows up!
>
> Thank you for your support. Much appreciated.
>
> Cheers.
>
> On 25-Jan-2019, at 10:30 PM, [hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2019 07:25:01 -0600
> From: Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> To: "[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>" <[hidden email]<mailto:[hidden email]>>
> Subject: Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice
> report
>
> Deva,
>
> My apologies for your wasted time with my inaccurate code.
>
> If you only want to change the font use this:
>
> * { font-family: Helvetica; }
>
> If you use what I provided earlier:
>
> * { font: Helvetica; }
>
> which is the shorthand property, it won?t work, you must at least specify a size like so:
>
> * { font: 1em Helvetica; }
>
> I just tested this.
>
> Again, my apologies. If that still doesn?t work, I?m out of ideas.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Geert Janssens-4
Op zaterdag 26 januari 2019 13:00:32 CET schreef Adrien Monteleone:
> Awesome. I’m glad you’ve got it working.
>
> I’ll document this on the wiki.
>
> Regards,
> Adrien

Ah, so in the end it *is* a font issue and not a code issue. I'm glad to hear
that!

Re: [GNC] Currency symbol (INR) not showing on Tax Invoice report

Adrien Monteleone-2
I’d say code is still somewhat responsible since changing or defining a stylesheet through the normal GC methods doesn’t work, though this may be a limitation of eguile based reports.

I would think a safe user expectation is that specifying a font in a stylesheet or creating a new stylesheet would be effective in styling the report. I’d think the Embedded CSS field would be for special stuff that isn’t exposed in the stylesheet GUI.