Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

123

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:38, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:19, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > The version of gnucash I have, 1:2.6.15-1, was installed from the Debian
> > Stretch repository. Just now I looked at the entry for this package on
> > apt-cache and discovered that dbus-X11 is recommended for
> > gnucash-1:2.6.15-1; whereas it has to be mandatory.  This is a bug which
> > I will report to Debian.
>
> Oh, you are right, Ubuntu is the same for 2.6.19, it is only a
> recommends.  I had not noticed that.  I will report a bug there.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnucash/+bug/1788481

Colin

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Frank,

You’ve misunderstood the thread: It’s about a deficiency in the dependencies of the Debian package manager, not anything to do with GnuCash’s build requirements.

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 10:13 AM, Frank H. Ellenberger <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> From https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/README.dependencies
> "  at runtime, required
>  ---------------------
>  a gsettings backend to store the gnucash global preferences in
>  This backend is platform dependent.
>  - linux:        dconf
>  - windows:      registry
>  - osx/quarz:    plists
>
>  Note that the osx and windows backends are built-in in gio for their
>  respective platforms. On linux and similar systems, the dconf package
>  should be installed."
>
> GSettings is a GIO Tool.
> On Opensuse I have a gsettings-backend-dconf installed.
> GSettings was introduced in 2.6, replacing gconf from our 2.4 branch.
> Is your list also showing the _runtime_ dependencies or only the build
> dependencies? We have also the suggestion of ISO-Codes at runtime.
>
> Am 22.08.2018 um 18:38 schrieb Colin Law:
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 17:31, Frank H. Ellenberger
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> AFAIK dbus-X11 is no direct dependency of GnuCash:
>>> GnuCash requires GSettings,
>>> only on Linux that requires dconf
>>> and that again requires the dbus.
>>
>> Well if you take out dbus-X11 then you can't save any settings.
>> I don't see GSettings as a dependency on Ubuntu:
> [...]

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences -- see bug 555187?

Ken Heard-2
On 2018-08-18 13:38, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 16:34:14 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
>> Last evening I was thinking of filing a bug report for my problem.  In
>> the process I found a previous bug report 555187 dealing with the same
>> one (1).  This bug was originally filed on 2008-10-16, but the last
>> comment on it by André Klapper was filed on 2018-08-17 13:58:19 UTC --
>> yesterday!
>>
> That bug is about GConf, which was used for preferences before we switched to
> dconf. GConf and dconf are completely different tools and your problem is with
> dconf so this bug is irrelevant here.
>
> The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the (old)
> GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine because
> gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.

Does the foregoing mean that directory ~/.gconf can be safely deleted?
The most recent dates of the files in its subdirecties date from 2014 or
earlier.

Regards, Ken

On Thu, 23 Aug 2018 at 15:02, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-18 13:38, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the (old)
> > GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine because
> > gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.
>
> Does the foregoing mean that directory ~/.gconf can be safely deleted?
> The most recent dates of the files in its subdirecties date from 2014 or
> earlier.

As far as gnucash is concerned then yes, but you may have other apps
that are still using it I suppose.

Colin

Op donderdag 23 augustus 2018 16:00:24 CEST schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2018-08-18 13:38, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 16:34:14 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> >> Last evening I was thinking of filing a bug report for my problem.  In
> >> the process I found a previous bug report 555187 dealing with the same
> >> one (1).  This bug was originally filed on 2008-10-16, but the last
> >> comment on it by André Klapper was filed on 2018-08-17 13:58:19 UTC --
> >> yesterday!
> >
> > That bug is about GConf, which was used for preferences before we switched
> > to dconf. GConf and dconf are completely different tools and your problem
> > is with dconf so this bug is irrelevant here.
> >
> > The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the
> > (old) GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine
> > because gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.
>
> Does the foregoing mean that directory ~/.gconf can be safely deleted?
> The most recent dates of the files in its subdirecties date from 2014 or
> earlier.
>
> Regards, Ken

I don't know. I know gnucash is no longer using gconf, but perhaps other
applications on your system still are (though unlikely).

The fact the most recent date in that directory is from 2014 means no
application you have run since that time has made changes in gconf, but some
may still read the current state.

Having said all that, it's unlikely there are still currently maintained
applications using GConf though. And if you remove the directory, worst case
is for those applications the default preferences are reset. You  won't loose
your data because of this.

If in doubt, archive a copy of the directory somewhere before removing. If you
find one of your applications starts behaving oddly (in the sense it's no
longer configured as you expected) you may check if it's still using gconf.

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences -- see bug 555187?

Adrien Monteleone-2
This page is almost 3 years old: https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/GnomeGoals/GSettingsMigration

But it does offer a list of potential apps to check that might still be using gconf. I’m pretty sure Chromium has completed their migration as of early this year.

Ubuntu stopped installing it as of 17.04. So if your system doesn’t have anything on it that isn’t on 17.04, it is probably safe to delete. And if you do have extra software as most people do, then the list to check is smaller.

> On Aug 23, 2018, at 9:13 AM, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Op donderdag 23 augustus 2018 16:00:24 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
>>>
>>> That bug is about GConf, which was used for preferences before we switched
>>> to dconf. GConf and dconf are completely different tools and your problem
>>> is with dconf so this bug is irrelevant here.
>>>
>>> The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the
>>> (old) GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine
>>> because gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.
>>
>> Does the foregoing mean that directory ~/.gconf can be safely deleted?
>> The most recent dates of the files in its subdirecties date from 2014 or
>> earlier.
>>
>> Regards, Ken
>
> I don't know. I know gnucash is no longer using gconf, but perhaps other
> applications on your system still are (though unlikely).
>
> The fact the most recent date in that directory is from 2014 means no
> application you have run since that time has made changes in gconf, but some
> may still read the current state.
>
> Having said all that, it's unlikely there are still currently maintained
> applications using GConf though. And if you remove the directory, worst case
> is for those applications the default preferences are reset. You  won't loose
> your data because of this.
>
> If in doubt, archive a copy of the directory somewhere before removing. If you
> find one of your applications starts behaving oddly (in the sense it's no
> longer configured as you expected) you may check if it's still using gconf.
>
> Regards,
>
> Geert

123