Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

123

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 15:19, Adrien Monteleone <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> I think Ken mentioned GnuCash 2.6.15 in Debian Stretch in the OP.

I missed that.  Thanks.

Ken, dconf not working can be caused by corrupted dconf config files.  This
can happen if there is power fail apparently.  Try this in a terminal after
closing all apps down.
mv .config/dconf  .config/dconf.save
which will move that folder out of the way,  dconf should recreate it.  Log
out and back in again (this may not be necessary in fact, not sure), then
try dconf-editor again and see if it saves things now.
You may well find that other apps that use dconf will have gone back to
default values.

If doing this messes things up then you can always restore the orginal using
mv .config/dconf .config/dconf.regenerated
mv .config/dconf.save .config/dconf
If the first command says it can't find .config/dconf then that is ok, it
just means it had not been recreated.

Colin

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ken,

You might also want to investigate this page, particularly the section on locks. I doubt you’ll find one for GnuCash, but somehow that system might have an overall lock on it.

https://developer.gnome.org/dconf/unstable/dconf-overview.html

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 9:42 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 15:19, Adrien Monteleone <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think Ken mentioned GnuCash 2.6.15 in Debian Stretch in the OP.
>
> I missed that.  Thanks.
>
> Ken, dconf not working can be caused by corrupted dconf config files.  This can happen if there is power fail apparently.  Try this in a terminal after closing all apps down.
> mv .config/dconf  .config/dconf.save
> which will move that folder out of the way,  dconf should recreate it.  Log out and back in again (this may not be necessary in fact, not sure), then try dconf-editor again and see if it saves things now.
> You may well find that other apps that use dconf will have gone back to default values.
>
> If doing this messes things up then you can always restore the orginal using
> mv .config/dconf .config/dconf.regenerated
> mv .config/dconf.save .config/dconf
> If the first command says it can't find .config/dconf then that is ok, it just means it had not been recreated.
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Ken Heard-2
On 2018-08-18 09:57, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 14:52, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> just

>>> If that button is supposed to be the apply button, it does not apply the
>>> changes.  Clicking on is restores the defaults.
>>>
>>> Clicking on the text line itself does nothing.
>>>
>> That means dconf is not working properly on your system. And that explains
>> why
>> it's not working in gnucash either.
>>
>> Is the dconf package installed on your system ? This is separate from the
>> dconf-editor package.
>>

> @Ken have you told us which OS and version you are using?  I can't find it
> in the thread.

gmucash 2.6.15-1, Debian Stretch

> On my Ubuntu 18.04 there isn't a package dconf, but there are a number of
> other dconf packages.
> If it is an Ubuntu or Debian system what does this command show:
> apt-cache policy dconf*

dconf-editor:
   Installed: 3.22.3-1
   Candidate: 3.22.3-1
   Version table:
  *** 3.22.3-1 500
         500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
dconf-service:
   Installed: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Candidate: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Version table:
  *** 0.26.0-2+b1 500
         500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
dconf-tools:
   Installed: 0.26.0-2
   Candidate: 0.26.0-2
   Version table:
  *** 0.26.0-2 500
         500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
dconf-gsettings-backend:
   Installed: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Candidate: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Version table:
  *** 0.26.0-2+b1 500
         500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
dconf:
   Installed: (none)
   Candidate: (none)
   Version table:
dconf-cli:
   Installed: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Candidate: 0.26.0-2+b1
   Version table:
  *** 0.26.0-2+b1 500
         500 http://ftp.ca.debian.org/debian stretch/main amd64 Packages
         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

dconf itself is a virtual package.  The one I had not installed before
this message was dconf-tools.  After installing it I ran dconf-edit once
more, but with the same results as already described.

Regards, Ken

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences -- see bug 555187?

Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 16:34:14 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> Last evening I was thinking of filing a bug report for my problem.  In
> the process I found a previous bug report 555187 dealing with the same
> one (1).  This bug was originally filed on 2008-10-16, but the last
> comment on it by André Klapper was filed on 2018-08-17 13:58:19 UTC --
> yesterday!

That bug is about GConf, which was used for preferences before we switched to
dconf. GConf and dconf are completely different tools and your problem is with
dconf so this bug is irrelevant here.

The only thing André added yesterday was a message indicating that the (old)
GConf tool should be considered dead and burried. Which is fine because
gnucash has not been using it since version 2.6.0.

> Surely however if some basic change was made to preferences
> modifications just before my last migration in April 2018, there must be
> something to replace directory ~/.gconf. The gnucash version I have in
> Thailand is 2.6.4-2; the one I have now in Canada is 2.6.15-1; so
> perhaps there was such a change.

Well, no. Both gnucash 2.6.4 and 2.6.15 use exactly the same preference code.

And particularly as you can't even make a change directly using dconf-editor
indicates this is not a gnucash problem. Something else on your system is not
right.

You can follow Colin's suggestions to try and fix dconf.

On 2018-08-18 10:42, Colin Law wrote:

> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 15:19, Adrien Monteleone <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I think Ken mentioned GnuCash 2.6.15 in Debian Stretch in the OP.
>>

> I missed that.  Thanks.
>
> Ken, dconf not working can be caused by corrupted dconf config files.  This
> can happen if there is power fail apparently.  Try this in a terminal after
> closing all apps down.
> mv .config/dconf  .config/dconf.save
> which will move that folder out of the way,  dconf should recreate it.  Log
> out and back in again (this may not be necessary in fact, not sure), then
> try dconf-editor again and see if it saves things now.
> You may well find that other apps that use dconf will have gone back to
> default values.
>
> If doing this messes things up then you can always restore the orginal using
> mv .config/dconf .config/dconf.regenerated
> mv .config/dconf.save .config/dconf
> If the first command says it can't find .config/dconf then that is ok, it
> just means it had not been recreated.

I have discovered that I do not have a file ~/.config/dconf. Perhaps the
absence of such a fine has prevented my from changing any of my gnucash
preferences. So I suppose my next step is somehow to create one, yes?

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 16:19, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I have discovered that I do not have a file ~/.config/dconf. Perhaps the
> absence of such a fine has prevented my from changing any of my gnucash
> preferences. So I suppose my next step is somehow to create one, yes?

Well since the proposed fix was to delete it and let dconf recreate it then
no.  It should have been created automatically.  What does
ps -aux|grep dconf
show?  I suspect it will show that dconf-service is not running.
Also can you reboot then run
cat /var/log/syslog | grep dconf
to see if there are any dconf messages in the log
and
ls -al ~/|grep \\.config
to check the ownership and settings on .config

Colin

On 2018-08-20 12:44, Colin Law wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 16:19, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>> I have discovered that I do not have a file ~/.config/dconf. Perhaps the
>> absence of such a fine has prevented my from changing any of my gnucash
>> preferences. So I suppose my next step is somehow to create one, yes?
>>

> Well since the proposed fix was to delete it and let dconf recreate it then
> no.  It should have been created automatically.  What does
> ps -aux|grep dconf
> show?  I suspect it will show that dconf-service is not running.

It returns the line

"ken  5074  0.0  0.0  14004   964 pts/2    S+   17:45   0:00 grep dconf"

> Also can you reboot then run
> cat /var/log/syslog | grep dconf
> to see if there are any dconf messages in the log

"sudo cat /var/log/syslog|grep dconf" returns nothing.

> and
> ls -al ~/|grep \\.config
> to check the ownership and settings on .config

I am not sure what you are looking for with this command, but it simply
returns the following line:
"4.0K drwx------  9 ken  users 4.0K Jul 22 11:17 .config/"

If what you are looking for in a list of the directories and files in
~/.config, here it is.

total 48K
    0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 ken users   26 Apr 22 11:39 chromium ->
/home/ken/mozilla/chromium/
    0 -rw-r--r-- 1 ken users    0 Aug 20 18:19 dotconfig.list
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 2 ken users 4.0K Jul 17 13:26 galculator/
4.0K drwx------ 2 ken users 4.0K Aug 17 19:43 gtk-2.0/
4.0K drwx------ 2 ken users 4.0K Jun 10 21:21 gtk-3.0/
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 2 ken users 4.0K Aug 18 21:59 libreoffice/
4.0K drwx------ 2 ken users 4.0K Apr 19 14:05 menus/
4.0K -rw-r--r-- 1 ken users  987 Jun 28 17:50 mimeapps.list
4.0K -rw-r--r-- 1 ken users  217 Jun 28 17:49 mimeapps.list.J2FELZ
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 2 ken users 4.0K Jul 17 13:13 SpeedCrunch/
4.0K -rw------- 1 ken users  635 Jul 22 11:17 user-dirs.dirs
4.0K -rw------- 1 ken users  641 Apr 18 17:50 user-dirs.dirs~
4.0K -rw-r--r-- 1 ken users    5 Apr 18 12:58 user-dirs.locale
4.0K drwxr-xr-x 2 ken users 4.0K Jun  3 21:40 vlc/

Regards, Ken

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Ken Heard-2
Just now I ran command "dconf update" which returned the following:
-------------------
error: Error opening directory '/etc/dconf/db': No such file or directory

Usage:
   dconf update

Update the system dconf databases

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 23:20, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > ps -aux|grep dconf
> > show?  I suspect it will show that dconf-service is not running.
>
> It returns the line
>
> "ken  5074  0.0  0.0  14004   964 pts/2    S+   17:45   0:00 grep dconf"

So dconf-service is not running.

> "sudo cat /var/log/syslog|grep dconf" returns nothing.

That is a pity, I had hoped for a useful error message

> > and
> > ls -al ~/|grep \\.config
> > to check the ownership and settings on .config
>
> I am not sure what you are looking for with this command, but it simply
> returns the following line:
> "4.0K drwx------  9 ken  users 4.0K Jul 22 11:17 .config/"

That shows the permissions on the folder are ok.

Colin

On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 23:31, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Just now I ran command "dconf update" which returned the following:
> -------------------
> error: Error opening directory '/etc/dconf/db': No such file or         directory

It seems there is something basically wrong with your system, the
question is what?  How did you install Debian?

Also post the contents of the file .xsession-errors after running
dconf-editor and attempting to save changes.

When you run dconf-editor in a terminal and attempt to save something
is there anything shown in the terminal?

Colin

On 2018-08-21 04:24, Colin Law wrote:
> On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 23:31, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Just now I ran command "dconf update" which returned the following:
>> -------------------
>> error: Error opening directory '/etc/dconf/db': No such file or directory
>
> It seems there is something basically wrong with your system, the
> question is what?  How did you install Debian?

It was a clean net-install of Stretch, not an upgrade, in a computer
with new hard drives.

> Also post the contents of the file .xsession-errors after running
> dconf-editor and attempting to save changes.

Here is the full content of .xsession-errors after running dconf-editor
in a terminal and finding the terminal the messages quoted below.

Xsession: X session started for ken at Tue Aug 21 10:32:09 EDT 2018
localuser:ken being added to access control list
dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus:
/usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message
OpenGL version: 2.
[starttde] Starting starttde.
[starttde] This script is /usr/bin/x-session-manager
[starttde] TDE version is R14.0.5
[starttde] TDE base directory is /opt/trinity
[starttde] TDEHOME is not set.
[starttde] Set TDEHOME to /home/ken/.trinity.
[starttde] Setting TDEROOTHOME to /root/.trinity.
[starttde] XDG_DATA_DIRS: /opt/trinity/share:/usr/local/share:/usr/share
[starttde] TDEDIR: /opt/trinity
[starttde] TDEDIRS:
[starttde] Starting Trinity...
[starttde] Trinity hardware control dbus daemon started.
[tdebuildsycoca] tdebuildsycoca running...
[dcopserver] DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
[starttde] TDE_FULL_SESSION: true
[starttde] TDE_SESSION_UID: 1000
[tdeinit] Shutting down running client.
---------------------------------
[dcopserver] It looks like dcopserver is already running. If you are sure
that it is not already running, remove /home/ken/.DCOPserver_SOL__0
and start dcopserver again.
---------------------------------
[kded] Daemon (kded) is already running.
[tdebuildsycoca] tdebuildsycoca running...
[tdebuildsycoca] Reusing existing tdesycoca.
[dcopserver] DCOP Cleaning up dead connections.
[starttde] tdeinit started successfully.
[FIXME] UNCLASSIFIED DEVICE name: hdaudioC0D2 type: (null) subsystem:
hdaudio driver: snd_hda_codec_realtek [Node Path: (null)] [Syspath:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/hdaudioC0D2] [8086:3a3e]
[kdesktop] SAK driven secure dialog is not available for use (retcode
6).  Check tdmtsak for proper functionality.
khotkeys: WARNING: Loading of khotkeys module failed.
true
[FIXME] UNCLASSIFIED DEVICE name: hdaudioC0D2 type: (null) subsystem:
hdaudio driver: snd_hda_codec_realtek [Node Path: (null)] [Syspath:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/hdaudioC0D2] [8086:3a3e]
[FIXME] UNCLASSIFIED DEVICE name: hdaudioC0D2 type: (null) subsystem:
hdaudio driver: snd_hda_codec_realtek [Node Path: (null)] [Syspath:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/hdaudioC0D2] [8086:3a3e]
Failed to launch bus: Failed to connect to session bus[FIXME]
UNCLASSIFIED DEVICE name: hdaudioC0D2 type: (null) subsystem: hdaudio
driver: snd_hda_codec_realtek [Node Path: (null)] [Syspath:
/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1b.0/hdaudioC0D2] [8086:3a3e]
[dcopserver] DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-1888' to 'kgpg'
[dcopserver] DCOP aborting (delayed) call from 'anonymous-1908' to 'kgpg'
ERROR: Communication problem with kgpg, it probably crashed.
ERROR: Communication problem with kgpg, it probably crashed.
[kcrash] TDECrash: Application 'kgpg' crashing...
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2a00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2a00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2a00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2a00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  19
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2a00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2c00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2c00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2c00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2c00008
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  19
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2c00008
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x0
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013
[...]
   Resource id:  0x2000007
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  19
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x2000007
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
TQClipboard: Unknown SelectionClear event received.
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  20
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013
X Error: BadWindow (invalid Window parameter) 3
   Major opcode:  19
   Minor opcode:  0
   Resource id:  0x3a00013

> When you run dconf-editor in a terminal and attempt to save something
> is there anything shown in the terminal?

when I open dconf-editor in a terminal, the first thing that happens is
appearance of the following two lines in the terminal:

(dconf-editor:2308): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync:
assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

(dconf-editor:2308): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_get_name_owner:
assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_PROXY (proxy)' failed

Then the dconf-editor window appears superimposed on the terminal.  In
that window I do the same thing I have done before -- change the date
format default for gnucash from 4 to 1. The when I hit Enter the window
disappears, but the following line now appears in the terminal, below
the two lines quoted above:

(dconf-editor:2412): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to
dconf: Failed to execute child process "dbus-launch" (No such file or
directory)

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 16:31, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> ..
> Here is the full content of .xsession-errors after running dconf-editor
> in a terminal and finding the terminal the messages quoted below.
>
> Xsession: X session started for ken at Tue Aug 21 10:32:09 EDT 2018
> localuser:ken being added to access control list
> dbus-update-activation-environment: error: unable to connect to D-Bus:
> /usr/bin/dbus-launch terminated abnormally without any error message

Now we are getting somwhere  dbus isn't running

> when I open dconf-editor in a terminal, the first thing that happens is
> appearance of the following two lines in the terminal:
>
> (dconf-editor:2308): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: g_dbus_proxy_new_sync:
> assertion 'G_IS_DBUS_CONNECTION (connection)' failed

I should have asked for this output earlier, again it confirms dbus is
not running

> (dconf-editor:2412): dconf-WARNING **: failed to commit changes to
> dconf: Failed to execute child process "dbus-launch" (No such file or
> directory)

And that confirms it can't save the changes because there is a problem
with dbus.
I suspect that may means that dbus-x11 is not installed. Run

sudo apt-get install dbus-x11

If it is already installed it will tell you.  Otherwise try
dconf-editor again and see if you get the error on startup.  If you
don't get the error I suspect all will now be working and you should
be able to save settings in the editor as well as in gnucash and in a
number of other apps that use dconf.  If you do still get it then
reboot and try again (it might be necessary to reboot to get dbus
working, not sure).

Colin

On 2018-08-21 11:47, Colin Law wrote:

<snip>

> I suspect that may means that dbus-x11 is not installed.

Indeed. On receipt of your email I immediately installed dbus-x11.  It
added two more directories to my home directory. ./dbus and
./config/dconf.  (Is ~./conf now obsolete?) I did not have to reboot in
order to use dbus-x11.

I opened in a terminal dconf-editor, and no longer receive the error
messages quoted in paragraph (c) above.  To change the value of any
variable from the default, turn off the default  and select the new
value.  To save it hit the green box with a white √ in it located it the
lower right corner of the window.

In short, thanks to you in particular I now have a working gnucash.  I
owe you a beer, in fact several.  I also owe Adrien and Geert a beer or
two as well.

I still have however a few observations/questions about dconf, etc.,
which I want to send to the three of you in due course after I complete
my researches on the subject.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 03:04, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I now have a working gnucash.

Excellent.

> I still have however a few observations/questions about dconf, etc.,
> which I want to send to the three of you in due course after I complete
> my researches on the subject.

Can you remind me how you installed gnucash?  I expect you have said
but this has been a rather long thread.  If it was a pre-packaged
installer then I think that is a bug in the installer as it should
specify dbus-x11 as a dependency.  It is not an issue on the version
of gnucash in the Ubuntu (18.04) repository as that does specify
dbus-x11 as a dependency.

Colin

On 2018-08-22 03:43, Colin Law wrote:

> Can you remind me how you installed gnucash?  I expect you have said
> but this has been a rather long thread.  If it was a pre-packaged
> installer then I think that is a bug in the installer as it should
> specify dbus-x11 as a dependency.  It is not an issue on the version
> of gnucash in the Ubuntu (18.04) repository as that does specify
> dbus-x11 as a dependency.

This point was one of the observations/questions I wanted to raise.

The version of gnucash I have, 1:2.6.15-1, was installed from the Debian
Stretch repository. Just now I looked at the entry for this package on
apt-cache and discovered that dbus-X11 is recommended for
gnucash-1:2.6.15-1; whereas it has to be mandatory.  This is a bug which
I will report to Debian.

I also inadvertently found another bug for this package.  Hitting the F1
key is supposed to open the help window but does not.  Instead a small
window opens with the message "GnuCash could not find the files for the
help documentation.  This is likely because the 'gnucash-docs' package
is not installed."  That package I have indeed installed; consequently
failure to open the help window is another bug for me to file with Debian.

Another question is whether the dconf family of packages should also be
mandatory for gnucash.

On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:19, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The version of gnucash I have, 1:2.6.15-1, was installed from the Debian
> Stretch repository. Just now I looked at the entry for this package on
> apt-cache and discovered that dbus-X11 is recommended for
> gnucash-1:2.6.15-1; whereas it has to be mandatory.  This is a bug which
> I will report to Debian.

Oh, you are right, Ubuntu is the same for 2.6.19, it is only a
recommends.  I had not noticed that.  I will report a bug there.
Post a link to yours and I will set it as the upstream bug for mine.

> Another question is whether the dconf family of packages should also be
> mandatory for gnucash.

I don't *think* that is an issue, I ran
sudo apt remove --dry-run dconf-gsettings-backend
to see what would happen and it wanted to take out half my system.

Regards

Colin

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
Hi all,

AFAIK dbus-X11 is no direct dependency of GnuCash:
GnuCash requires GSettings,
only on Linux that requires dconf
and that again requires the dbus.

Regards
Frank

Am 22.08.2018 um 17:38 schrieb Colin Law:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:19, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> The version of gnucash I have, 1:2.6.15-1, was installed from the Debian
>> Stretch repository. Just now I looked at the entry for this package on
>> apt-cache and discovered that dbus-X11 is recommended for
>> gnucash-1:2.6.15-1; whereas it has to be mandatory.  This is a bug which
>> I will report to Debian.
>
> Oh, you are right, Ubuntu is the same for 2.6.19, it is only a
> recommends.  I had not noticed that.  I will report a bug there.
> Post a link to yours and I will set it as the upstream bug for mine.

>> Another question is whether the dconf family of packages should also be
>> mandatory for gnucash.
>
> I don't *think* that is an issue, I ran
> sudo apt remove --dry-run dconf-gsettings-backend
> to see what would happen and it wanted to take out half my system.
>
> Regards
>
> Colin

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 17:31, Frank H. Ellenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> AFAIK dbus-X11 is no direct dependency of GnuCash:
> GnuCash requires GSettings,
> only on Linux that requires dconf
> and that again requires the dbus.

Well if you take out dbus-X11 then you can't save any settings.
I don't see GSettings as a dependency on Ubuntu:
$ apt-cache depends gnucash
gnucash
  Depends: gnucash-common
  Depends: guile-2.0-libs
  Depends: libaqbanking35
  Depends: libc6
  Depends: libcairo2
  Depends: libdbi1
  Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
  Depends: libglib2.0-0
  Depends: libgnomecanvas2-0
  Depends: libgoffice-0.8-8
  Depends: libgtk2.0-0
  Depends: libgwengui-gtk2-0
  Depends: libgwenhywfar60
  Depends: libktoblzcheck1v5
  Depends: libofx7
  Depends: libpango-1.0-0
  Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0
  Depends: libpython2.7
  Depends: libsecret-1-0
  Depends: libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
  Depends: libx11-6
  Depends: libxml2
  Depends: libxslt1.1
  Depends: zlib1g
  Depends: libaqbanking35-plugins
  Depends: <perl:any>
    perl:i386
    perl
  Depends: guile-2.0
  Depends: libfinance-quote-perl
  Depends: libwww-perl
  Depends: libhtml-tree-perl
  Depends: libhtml-tableextract-perl
  Depends: libcrypt-ssleay-perl
  Depends: libdate-manip-perl
  Breaks: gnucash-common
  Recommends: gnucash-docs
  Recommends: python-gnucash
  Recommends: yelp
 |Recommends: dbus
    dbus:i386
  Recommends: dbus-x11
    dbus-x11:i386
  Suggests: libdbd-mysql
  Suggests: libdbd-pgsql
  Suggests: libdbd-sqlite3
  Replaces: gnucash-common

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Frank H. Ellenberger-3
From https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/README.dependencies
"  at runtime, required
  ---------------------
  a gsettings backend to store the gnucash global preferences in
  This backend is platform dependent.
  - linux:        dconf
  - windows:      registry
  - osx/quarz:    plists

  Note that the osx and windows backends are built-in in gio for their
  respective platforms. On linux and similar systems, the dconf package
  should be installed."

GSettings is a GIO Tool.
On Opensuse I have a gsettings-backend-dconf installed.
GSettings was introduced in 2.6, replacing gconf from our 2.4 branch.
Is your list also showing the _runtime_ dependencies or only the build
dependencies? We have also the suggestion of ISO-Codes at runtime.

Am 22.08.2018 um 18:38 schrieb Colin Law:

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 17:31, Frank H. Ellenberger
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> AFAIK dbus-X11 is no direct dependency of GnuCash:
>> GnuCash requires GSettings,
>> only on Linux that requires dconf
>> and that again requires the dbus.
>
> Well if you take out dbus-X11 then you can't save any settings.
> I don't see GSettings as a dependency on Ubuntu:
> $ apt-cache depends gnucash
> gnucash
>   Depends: gnucash-common
>   Depends: guile-2.0-libs
>   Depends: libaqbanking35
>   Depends: libc6
>   Depends: libcairo2
>   Depends: libdbi1
>   Depends: libgdk-pixbuf2.0-0
>   Depends: libglib2.0-0
>   Depends: libgnomecanvas2-0
>   Depends: libgoffice-0.8-8
>   Depends: libgtk2.0-0
>   Depends: libgwengui-gtk2-0
>   Depends: libgwenhywfar60
>   Depends: libktoblzcheck1v5
>   Depends: libofx7
>   Depends: libpango-1.0-0
>   Depends: libpangocairo-1.0-0
>   Depends: libpython2.7
>   Depends: libsecret-1-0
>   Depends: libwebkitgtk-1.0-0
>   Depends: libx11-6
>   Depends: libxml2
>   Depends: libxslt1.1
>   Depends: zlib1g
>   Depends: libaqbanking35-plugins
>   Depends: <perl:any>
>     perl:i386
>     perl
>   Depends: guile-2.0
>   Depends: libfinance-quote-perl
>   Depends: libwww-perl
>   Depends: libhtml-tree-perl
>   Depends: libhtml-tableextract-perl
>   Depends: libcrypt-ssleay-perl
>   Depends: libdate-manip-perl
>   Breaks: gnucash-common
>   Recommends: gnucash-docs
>   Recommends: python-gnucash
>   Recommends: yelp
>  |Recommends: dbus
>     dbus:i386
>   Recommends: dbus-x11
>     dbus-x11:i386
>   Suggests: libdbd-mysql
>   Suggests: libdbd-pgsql
>   Suggests: libdbd-sqlite3
>   Replaces: gnucash-common

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 18:13, Frank H. Ellenberger
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> From https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/maint/README.dependencies
> "  at runtime, required
>   ---------------------
>   a gsettings backend to store the gnucash global preferences in
>   This backend is platform dependent.
>   - linux:        dconf
>   - windows:      registry
>   - osx/quarz:    plists
>
>   Note that the osx and windows backends are built-in in gio for their
>   respective platforms. On linux and similar systems, the dconf package
>   should be installed."
>
> GSettings is a GIO Tool.
> On Opensuse I have a gsettings-backend-dconf installed.
> GSettings was introduced in 2.6, replacing gconf from our 2.4 branch.
> Is your list also showing the _runtime_ dependencies or only the build
> dependencies? We have also the suggestion of ISO-Codes at runtime.

That is the list of runtime dependencies extracted from the deb file.
In Ubuntu the package dconf appears to be an empty meta package that
doesn't pull anything else in.  Attempting to install it fails. I
believe that is the same in Debian.  It seems to be dbus-x11 that is
required for gsettings to work on Debian/Ubuntu.

Sorry, I don't understand the reference to ISO-Codes.

Colin

> Am 22.08.2018 um 18:38 schrieb Colin Law:
> > On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 17:31, Frank H. Ellenberger
> > <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> AFAIK dbus-X11 is no direct dependency of GnuCash:
> >> GnuCash requires GSettings,
> >> only on Linux that requires dconf
> >> and that again requires the dbus.
> >
> > Well if you take out dbus-X11 then you can't save any settings.
> > I don't see GSettings as a dependency on Ubuntu:
> > $ apt-cache depends gnucash
> > gnucash
> >   Depends: gnucash-common
> >   Depends: guile-2.0-libs