Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

123

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ken,

Sorry, I saw this when you originally posted it (twice) but wasn’t able to reply at the time and I see you haven’t heard from anyone yet.

Although seemingly unhelpful, the error message is telling you how to fix the problem.

Apparently, after changing the separator to a backslash “\” (which is also a file path separator in Windows, not a safe choice!) you named about 50 accounts to include the old path separator “:” as part of the actual name. If you re-institute the “:” as path separator, GnuCash is going to freak out because it will appear you have a bunch of new accounts that don’t exist yet. (and likely attempt at some point to get you to create them as you tab/enter through transactions, if not just totally blow up or freeze as it seems to have done.)

The solution is to FIRST, change all of your accounts names to NOT use “:” in the name itself, perhaps substituting hyphen “-“ or something reasonably similar. (Commas are unsafe choices also due to CSV import/export issues with various software - you don’t want to deal with comma delimited files if fields contain commas themselves unless specially handled)

Once you’ve eliminated all instances of “:” in your account names, then the error/warning won’t appear and you can change the account separator back to it.

As long as you stick to a single OS, you can choose to use either \, or / accordingly for separators, but commas are usually bad news. (Windows uses backslashes for file paths and *nix uses backslashes) Pipes and periods even can be an issue, though more rarely so. (Pipes redirect output and periods are usually extension separators, but this only an issue in Windows)

That really limits things a bit. But you can likely safely use hyphen “-“, underscore”_”, semi-colon “;”, tilde “~”, middle dot “•”, small middle dot “·”, double left arrow “«”, double right arrow “»”, equivalent “≈”, diamond “◊”, en-dash “–“, and em-dash “—“. (those last two are sometimes indistinguishable from each other or even from hyphen in some fonts)

On that note, while you’re replacing your copious use of “:” as part of account names, consider hyphens “-“ and underscores “_” as replacements. Some coding conventions use underscores to separate words—e.g., “camel_case” instead of "camelCase", and hyphens to indicated sub-levels or more specific information—e.g., “Rent-Apartment_A” and "Rent-Apartment_B".

I too experimented with other separators, but found the colon to be a well thought out default as it is easy to quickly step through the account hierarchy one letter and colon at a time. Other choices are farther away and harder to tap easily. (some of the above suggestions require 3rd & 4th level modifier keys) Also, muscle memory is a consideration.

> Ken Heard on Tue Jul 10 23:54:56 EDT 2018
>
> I have been using GnuCash since 2009.  Twice every year I need to
> transfer my account file from one desktop to another.  I never had any
> trouble opening GnuCash after each such transfer until now.
>
> Early on in my use of GnuCash I changed the accounts separator from the
> colon (:) to the back slash (\).  Since that change I use the colon in
> quite a few account names, currently numbering about fifty..
>
> When I tried to open my account after the most recent transfer, a window
> appeared saying the following.
>
> The separator character ":" is used in one or more
> account names. [Actually about 50 accts.]
>
> This will result in unexpected behavour.  Either change
>          the account names or choose another separator character.
>
> I would like to do one or the other, but the GnuCash Preferences window
> is locked.  I can open it on the monitor but cannot make changes to
> *any* of the preferences.
>
> The version of GnuCash which I want now to use GnuCash is 2.6.15, the
> latest one available with Debian Stretch.  I am not sure what version
> was the previous computer, except to say that it was likely the latest
> version available with Debian Wheezy.
>
> I would appreciate receiving information on how to fix this problem. I
> did try to find the location of the file containing the selected
> preferences but was unsuccessful.
>
> Regards, Ken

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Adrien Monteleone-2
Ken, always use reply-all or reply-to-list so that others can participate in the conversation and offer assistance.

I can’t get to the specifics at the moment for the preference permissions issue, but maybe someone else can in the interim.

Your preferences I think should be stored in ~/.gnucash or a .gnucash directory that is a sub of ~/.config or ~/.local. (I don’t recall exactly) The FAQ on the website should have the details of where this is stored. (this changed recently with version 3.0, so be certain you are referencing info for the version you have installed)

> [...]
>> Regards,
>> Adrien
>
> Now the other problem I referred to above, and which I also mentioned in my original post, is that I cannot change GnuCash preferences.  I think I am not mistaken in assuming that the file containing the preferences chosen is in directory ~/gconf/apps/gnucash/dialogues/preferences.  The only file in that directory is %gconf.xml, only 333 B but is dated in 2014.  All the permissions seem to be correct, drwxr-x--- for me, my group and for others.  I would appreciate help on restoring ability to set my own preferences.

Geert Janssens-4
Actually as of gnucash 2.6 the preferences are managed via GSettings. On linux
this means the settings are stored in dconf by default. We had a few cases
early on where gnucash was installed on systems that didn't have dconf
installed. In that case GSettings will only store settings in-memory and they
will be reset each time you restart gnucash.

A few things to check:
1. Is dconf running properly on your system ?
2. can you edit the gnucash preferences using dconf-editor ? In the editor the
gnucash preferences are found under /org/gnucash
3. When you try to alter a preference via gnucash, are there any messages in
the gnucash trace file [1] ?

Finally as for the choice of account tree separator, you can choose anything
you like. Full account names are not file names so there is no interference
whatsoever between gnucash' interpretation of account names and the system's
file management.

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

Ken Heard-2
On 2018-08-17 03:27, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Actually as of gnucash 2.6 the preferences are managed via GSettings. On linux
> this means the settings are stored in dconf by default. We had a few cases
> early on where gnucash was installed on systems that didn't have dconf
> installed. In that case GSettings will only store settings in-memory and they
> will be reset each time you restart gnucash.
>
> A few things to check:
> 1. Is dconf running properly on your system ?

I think so, in that all packages relating to dconf are installed.  (This
is my first encounter with dconf.)

> 2. can you edit the gnucash preferences using dconf-editor ? In the editor the
> gnucash preferences are found under /org/gnucash

Directory ~/.gnucash contains three files and three directories.  the
files are accelerator-map, expressions-2.0 and stylesheets-2-0.  The
three directories are books, checks and translog. The last two are empty.

The first one, books, contains the following files which are not empty:
ChartOfAccounts.gnucash.gcm, gca.gnucash.gcm. ken09.gnc, ken09.gnc.gcm,
Kens.gnucash.gcm and pqtz.gnucash.gcm. Of these files, Kens.gnucash.gcm
is dated 2018-08-16.  All the others are dated in 2014 or earlier.
None of these files appear to me to contain the preference selections.

> 3. When you try to alter a preference via gnucash, are there any messages in
> the gnucash trace file [1] ?

For instance, I want to change the default date format from 'Locale
31/07/13' to 'ISO 2013-07-31'.  I can select the latter from the
drop-down list, but 'Locale 31/07/13' remains as the selected format.
The same thing happens for all other preference options; nothing can be
changed from the default.

I would expect that the default preferences and the changed preferences
would be in the same file, not in a different file.  So the defaults
must be somewhere where gnucash can find them.  Where would that
'somewhere' be, and where would the changes be recorded?

No messages of any kind appear in the trace file.  It has been empty
since I opened gnucash today.

> Finally as for the choice of account tree separator, you can choose anything
> you like. Full account names are not file names so there is no interference
> whatsoever between gnucash' interpretation of account names and the system's
> file management.

True, as long as the tree separator is never used in any account name or
code.

Regards, Ken

Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 16:52:32 CEST schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2018-08-17 03:27, Geert Janssens wrote:
> > Actually as of gnucash 2.6 the preferences are managed via GSettings. On
> > linux this means the settings are stored in dconf by default. We had a
> > few cases early on where gnucash was installed on systems that didn't
> > have dconf installed. In that case GSettings will only store settings
> > in-memory and they will be reset each time you restart gnucash.
> >
> > A few things to check:
> > 1. Is dconf running properly on your system ?
>
> I think so, in that all packages relating to dconf are installed.  (This
> is my first encounter with dconf.)

Ok.

> > 2. can you edit the gnucash preferences using dconf-editor ? In the editor
> > the gnucash preferences are found under /org/gnucash
>
> Directory ~/.gnucash contains three files and three directories.

<snip>

Please ignore ~/.gnucash for now. It's not related to the preferences you are
trying to tweak.

Did you play with dconf-editor ? And what where the results ?

> > 3. When you try to alter a preference via gnucash, are there any messages
> > in the gnucash trace file [1] ?
>
> For instance, I want to change the default date format from 'Locale
> 31/07/13' to 'ISO 2013-07-31'.  I can select the latter from the
> drop-down list, but 'Locale 31/07/13' remains as the selected format.
> The same thing happens for all other preference options; nothing can be
> changed from the default.
>
> I would expect that the default preferences and the changed preferences
> would be in the same file, not in a different file.  So the defaults
> must be somewhere where gnucash can find them.  Where would that
> 'somewhere' be, and where would the changes be recorded?
>
> No messages of any kind appear in the trace file.  It has been empty
> since I opened gnucash today.

Ok.

> > Finally as for the choice of account tree separator, you can choose
> > anything you like. Full account names are not file names so there is no
> > interference whatsoever between gnucash' interpretation of account names
> > and the system's file management.
>
> True, as long as the tree separator is never used in any account name or
> code.

Yes, indeed.

<snip>

        ?

> Did you play with dconf-editor ? And what where the results ?

After some research I opened dconf-editor and found
/org/gnucash/general/date-format and found that the default format is
value 4, whatever value 4 is.  I turned off the default format and
selected value 1 instead of 4 and then closed dconf-editor.

I then opened gnucash preferences again and noted that the date format
is still 31/07/13. I next reopened dconf-editor only to discover that
the date default value is still 4; so it would appear that dconf-editor
cannot be used to change gnucash preferences.

I hope you know the significance of the foregoing, because I don't.  How
can I use dconf-editor to select preferences for gnucash if the values
for each number are not explained?

<snip again>

Regards, Ken

Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 18:41:13 CEST schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2018-08-17 11:28, Geert Janssens wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> > Please ignore ~/.gnucash for now. It's not related to the preferences you
> > are trying to tweak.
>
> ?
>
> > Did you play with dconf-editor ? And what where the results ?
>
> After some research I opened dconf-editor and found
> /org/gnucash/general/date-format and found that the default format is
> value 4, whatever value 4 is.  I turned off the default format and
> selected value 1 instead of 4 and then closed dconf-editor.
>
> I then opened gnucash preferences again and noted that the date format
> is still 31/07/13. I next reopened dconf-editor only to discover that
> the date default value is still 4; so it would appear that dconf-editor
> cannot be used to change gnucash preferences.
>
> I hope you know the significance of the foregoing, because I don't.  How
> can I use dconf-editor to select preferences for gnucash if the values
> for each number are not explained?
>
> <snip again>

Hi Ken,

Thanks for the feedback. My request to try with dconf-editor was not meant as
a workaround, but rather to determine if values can be changed at all.

From your explanation I still can't infer this exactly, but I readily admit my
instructions were very vague.

Can you try one more experiment:
- Make sure you don't have gnucash running
- Start dconf-editor
- Change /org/gnucash/general/date-format to 1 (just using your example here,
any preference change is fine for this test)
- Be sure to click on the apply button that pops up
- Quit dconf-editor and start it again
- Navigate to /org/gnucash/general/date-format

=> What is it set to now ?

On 2018-08-17 13:18, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Thanks for the feedback. My request to try with dconf-editor was not meant as
> a workaround, but rather to determine if values can be changed at all.
>
>>From your explanation I still can't infer this exactly, but I readily admit my
> instructions were very vague.
>
> Can you try one more experiment:
> - Make sure you don't have gnucash running
> - Start dconf-editor
> - Change /org/gnucash/general/date-format to 1 (just using your example here,
> any preference change is fine for this test)

I got this far in the instructions above, but then no pup-up button
popped up.  Did not go any further.

> - Be sure to click on the apply button that pops up
> - Quit dconf-editor and start it again
> - Navigate to /org/gnucash/general/date-format
>
> => What is it set to now ?

Perhaps a bit of background might be in order.  I spend the months of
May to September in Canada, and November to March in Thailand.  (October
and April are migration months, spent partially in either location or
anywhere in-between.)

I have desktops in both locations. So twice a year all my data files are
transferred between the two computers.  Among them are of course my
gnucash data files. Since 2009 when I started using gnucash I have been
moving those files back and forth without difficulty in using gnucash
after each move -- until the latest one at the end of last March.

Up until sometime between November 2017 and March 2018 while in Thailand
I changed the account separator from the colon to the backslash and
started to use the colon in file names and codes.  On opening gnucash in
the computer after return to Canada last April I received the message
asking me either to change the separator back to the colon or delete
colons from account names and codes.

At the time I assumed that the situation described in the previous
paragraph was caused be the fact that while all the files in my home
directory were transferred, key setup files in my user dot directories
were not.

I consequently thought that all I had to do to fix that situation would
be to open the preferences in the Canada computer and change the
separator from colon to backslash. It was at this point that I
discovered that I no longer had access to the preferences.  In order to
post transactions I removed all colons from account names and codes, but
I am still denied ability to change preferences thereby limiting my use
of gnucash.  So the objective now is to restore to me full use of gnucash.

Regards, Ken

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 19:48, Ken Heard <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-17 13:18, Geert Janssens wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the feedback. My request to try with dconf-editor was not
> meant as
> > a workaround, but rather to determine if values can be changed at all.
> >
> >>From your explanation I still can't infer this exactly, but I readily
> admit my
> > instructions were very vague.
> >
> > Can you try one more experiment:
> > - Make sure you don't have gnucash running
> > - Start dconf-editor
> > - Change /org/gnucash/general/date-format to 1 (just using your example
> here,
> > any preference change is fine for this test)
>
> I got this far in the instructions above, but then no pup-up button
> popped up.  Did not go any further.

The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
appears in the bottom bar of the window.

Colin

On 2018-08-17 17:26, Colin Law wrote:

> The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
> appears in the bottom bar of the window.
>
> Colin

I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.  The second is
the same colour as the background with an 'x' in it.  Clicking on the
'x' button closes the entire application.

Regards, Ken

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 22:59 Ken Heard, <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2018-08-17 17:26, Colin Law wrote:
> >
> > The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
> > appears in the bottom bar of the window.
> >
> > Colin
>
> I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
> will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
> two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.

That is the Apply button. My version has the text, apparently you have a
different version.

The second is
> the same colour as the background with an 'x' in it.  Clicking on the
> 'x' button closes the entire application.

That is the Cancel button.

Colin

> Regards, Ken

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 16:52:32 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> I would expect that the default preferences and the changed preferences
> would be in the same file, not in a different file.  So the defaults
> must be somewhere where gnucash can find them.  Where would that
> 'somewhere' be, and where would the changes be recorded?

I didn't answer this part.

As I wrote before gnucash uses GSettings, a part of glib. GSettings in turn
uses dconf as storage backend. The defaults are compiled in the GSettings
schema for gnucash which is typically installed in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas

I don't know how and where dconf stores the changes. I never had to bother
with that.

However by asking you to make changes with dconf-editor I'm trying to
establish whether dconf itself is working correctly on your system.

Regards,

Ken

Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 23:59:28 CEST schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2018-08-17 17:26, Colin Law wrote:
> > The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
> > appears in the bottom bar of the window.
> >
> > Colin
>
> I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
> will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
> two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.  The second is
> the same colour as the background with an 'x' in it.  Clicking on the
> 'x' button closes the entire application.
>
> Regards, Ken

Ok what happens if you click on the blue check mark instead ?

And what's the value of the property after you restart dconf-editor ?

On 2018-08-18 02:07, Colin Law wrote:

> On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, 22:59 Ken Heard, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 2018-08-17 17:26, Colin Law wrote:
>>>
>>> The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
>>> appears in the bottom bar of the window.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
>> will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
>> two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.
>

> That is the Apply button. My version has the text, apparently you have a
> different version.

If that button is supposed to be the apply button, it does not apply the
changes.  Clicking on is restores the defaults.

Clicking on the text line itself does nothing.

> The second is
>> the same colour as the background with an 'x' in it.  Clicking on the
>> 'x' button closes the entire application.
>>

> That is the Cancel button.

Regards, Ken

On 2018-08-18 02:17, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 23:59:28 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
>> On 2018-08-17 17:26, Colin Law wrote:
>>> The apply button doesn't really popup (for me on Ubuntu 18.040) it just
>>> appears in the bottom bar of the window.
>>>
>>> Colin
>>
>> I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
>> will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
>> two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.  The second is
>> the same colour as the background with an 'x' in it.  Clicking on the
>> 'x' button closes the entire application.
>>
>> Regards, Ken
>
> Ok what happens if you click on the blue check mark instead ?

It returns to the default setting.

> And what's the value of the property after you restart dconf-editor ?>

No change, the default for date format is still 4, as it always has been.

Regards, Ken

On 2018-08-18 02:16, Geert Janssens wrote:

> Op vrijdag 17 augustus 2018 16:52:32 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
>> I would expect that the default preferences and the changed preferences
>> would be in the same file, not in a different file.  So the defaults
>> must be somewhere where gnucash can find them.  Where would that
>> 'somewhere' be, and where would the changes be recorded?
>>
> I didn't answer this part.
>
> As I wrote before gnucash uses GSettings, a part of glib. GSettings in turn
> uses dconf as storage backend. The defaults are compiled in the GSettings
> schema for gnucash which is typically installed in /usr/share/glib-2.0/schemas
>
> I don't know how and where dconf stores the changes. I never had to bother
> with that.
>
> However by asking you to make changes with dconf-editor I'm trying to
> establish whether dconf itself is working correctly on your system.

It probably doesn't.  If so, I do not know how to fix whatever is wrong
with it.  I have never had the occasion to use it until now.

Regards, Ken

Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 15:47:06 CEST schreef Ken Heard:

> On 2018-08-18 02:07, Colin Law wrote:

> >> I don't even see it there.  The bottom bar has this text "The change
> >> will be applied on such request or if you quit this view." followed by
> >> two buttons. The first is blue with a check mark in it.
> >
> > That is the Apply button. My version has the text, apparently you have a
> > different version.
>
> If that button is supposed to be the apply button, it does not apply the
> changes.  Clicking on is restores the defaults.
>
> Clicking on the text line itself does nothing.

That means dconf is not working properly on your system. And that explains why
it's not working in gnucash either.

Is the dconf package installed on your system ? This is separate from the
dconf-editor package.

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Colin Law
On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 14:52, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Op zaterdag 18 augustus 2018 15:47:06 CEST schreef Ken Heard:
> just

> > > That is the Apply button. My version has the text, apparently you have
> > > different version.
> >
> > If that button is supposed to be the apply button, it does not apply the
> > changes.  Clicking on is restores the defaults.
> >
> > Clicking on the text line itself does nothing.
> >
> That means dconf is not working properly on your system. And that explains
> why
> it's not working in gnucash either.
>
> Is the dconf package installed on your system ? This is separate from the
> dconf-editor package.

@Ken have you told us which OS and version you are using?  I can't find it
in the thread.
On my Ubuntu 18.04 there isn't a package dconf, but there are a number of
other dconf packages.
If it is an Ubuntu or Debian system what does this command show:
apt-cache policy dconf*

Colin

> Regards,
>
> Geert

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences

Adrien Monteleone-2
I think Ken mentioned GnuCash 2.6.15 in Debian Stretch in the OP.

> On Aug 18, 2018, at 8:57 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On Sat, 18 Aug 2018 at 14:52, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:

>> just

>>> If that button is supposed to be the apply button, it does not apply the
>>> changes.  Clicking on is restores the defaults.
>>>
>>> Clicking on the text line itself does nothing.
>>>
>> That means dconf is not working properly on your system. And that explains
>> why
>> it's not working in gnucash either.
>>
>> Is the dconf package installed on your system ? This is separate from the
>> dconf-editor package.
>>

> @Ken have you told us which OS and version you are using?  I can't find it
> in the thread.
> On my Ubuntu 18.04 there isn't a package dconf, but there are a number of
> other dconf packages.
> If it is an Ubuntu or Debian system what does this command show:
> apt-cache policy dconf*
>
> Colin
>

>> Regards,
>>
>> Geert

Re: [GNC] Cannot change preferences -- see bug 555187?

Ken Heard-2
On 2018-08-17 03:27, Geert Janssens wrote:

> [...]
>>> use only the backslash.  For the reason which you state using a slash --
>>> or pipes or periods -- is not wise.  I think that if I were to abandon
>>> the colon -- which I may not do in any event -- I would use the tilde,
>>> single or double.  I would never use those symbols in an account name or
>>> code.>
>>>
>>> Now the other problem I referred to above, and which I also mentioned in
>>> my original post, is that I cannot change GnuCash preferences.  I think I
>>> am not mistaken in assuming that the file containing the preferences
>>> chosen is in directory ~/gconf/apps/gnucash/dialogues/preferences.  The
>>> only file in that directory is %gconf.xml, only 333 B but is dated in
>>> 2014.  All the permissions seem to be correct, drwxr-x--- for me, my
>>> group and for others.  I would appreciate help on restoring ability to

Last evening I was thinking of filing a bug report for my problem.  In
the process I found a previous bug report 555187 dealing with the same
one (1).  This bug was originally filed on 2008-10-16, but the last
comment on it by André Klapper was filed on 2018-08-17 13:58:19 UTC --
yesterday!

I looked at the two URLs mentioned in his second paragraph.
Unfortunately I am not up to understanding them -- or knowing whether
they have any relevance to my problem.

Surely however if some basic change was made to preferences
modifications just before my last migration in April 2018, there must be
something to replace directory ~/.gconf. The gnucash version I have in
Thailand is 2.6.4-2; the one I have now in Canada is 2.6.15-1; so
perhaps there was such a change.

On a hunch yesterday evening I purged gnucash 2.6.15-1 and reinstalled
it. It made no difference; I still cannot open and change preferences.

Regards, Ken

(1) https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=555187#c2

123