RE: help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

RE: help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

Peter Kiessling
I also use a MAC. I have noticed when I use single line entry (No auto split) that the speed entry feature will set up a transaction that I have done before and I can then enter the new amount on the one line, but since it is echoing a previous transaction and if I've entered a different amount this time, then Gnucash will generate an orphan or imbalance but not show me that unless I specifically open the split. This happened to me a lot in my haste to get a receipt entered quickly. Single line entry is fast if it is the same amount as a previous or a new entry.  Not so good if speed entry takes over and the amount is different.
Two ways to avoid that is go to view drop down and check auto split which will work until you close and reopen Gnucash or go to preferences: register defaults: and then check auto-split.
Pete

Re: help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

Paula Hendricks
what an interesting thread. i'm on a mac and that doesn't happen to me... the auto entry sits there but i tab over to it, change it and hit enter and all is well. single line entry. my orphans and imbalances only show up in the splits.

        ph

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
paula hendricks ~:~ cinnabar bridge communications
writing ~:~ photography ~:~ book design
san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647

prl

Re: help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

prl
The OP mentions splits. What he describes is the behaviour I'd expect if
the transaction that was copied from to do the autofill was a split
transaction. Then changing the total for the transaction would create an
orphan or imbalance. There's not much else GnuCash can do.

The fact that the copied transaction is a split should show up by the
transaction being marked -- Split Transaction -- in the Transfer column
in the Basic Ledger view.

More haste, less speed.

Peter

On 9/09/13 10:22, Paula Hendricks wrote:

> what an interesting thread. i'm on a mac and that doesn't happen to me... the auto entry sits there but i tab over to it, change it and hit enter and all is well. single line entry. my orphans and imbalances only show up in the splits.
>
> ph
>
> ~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~
> paula hendricks ~:~ cinnabar bridge communications
> writing ~:~ photography ~:~ book design
> san francisco ~:~ 415.567.2647
>
> On Sep 8, 2013, at 4:38 PM, Peter Kiessling wrote:
>
>> I also use a MAC. I have noticed when I use single line entry (No auto split) that the speed entry feature will set up a transaction that I have done before and I can then enter the new amount on the one line, but since it is echoing a previous transaction and if I've entered a different amount this time, then Gnucash will generate an orphan or imbalance but not show me that unless I specifically open the split. This happened to me a lot in my haste to get a receipt entered quickly. Single line entry is fast if it is the same amount as a previous or a new entry.  Not so good if speed entry takes over and the amount is different.
>> Two ways to avoid that is go to view drop down and check auto split which will work until you close and reopen Gnucash or go to preferences: register defaults: and then check auto-split.
>> Pete

Re: help for beginner; Orphan and imbalances

foxylady337
On 9 Sep 2013, at 00:38, Peter Kiessling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I also use a MAC. I have noticed when I use single line entry (No auto split) that the speed entry feature will set up a transaction that I have done before and I can then enter the new amount on the one line, but since it is echoing a previous transaction and if I've entered a different amount this time, then Gnucash will generate an orphan or imbalance but not show me that unless I specifically open the split. This happened to me a lot in my haste to get a receipt entered quickly. Single line entry is fast if it is the same amount as a previous or a new entry.  Not so good if speed entry takes over and the amount is different.
> Two ways to avoid that is go to view drop down and check auto split which will work until you close and reopen Gnucash or go to preferences: register defaults: and then check auto-split.
> Pete

I used to use the Ubuntu version, but I'm now using a Mac.

The echoing of a previous transaction described above worked perfectly in the Ubuntu version, but occasionally misbehaves in the Mac.

On finding a familiar description (e.g. an ATM withdrawal or a supermarket purchase) as a new transaction is entered, GnuCash will populate the Transfer column and the Receive or Spend column with the details from the last time. Pressing TAB at this point usually moves the cursor to the Receive or Spend column, making it easy to change the value if required - in the case of an ATM withdrawal, this is usually a standard amount (£200), but a supermarket purchase will vary.

Sometimes (and I haven't found a pattern for this) the Mac version keeps the cursor in the Description column when TAB is pressed, and if TAB is pressed again it posts the transaction immediately - no opportunity to edit the value.

If I realise this is happening, I've found that pressing the space bar restores the normal behaviour.

To get back to the original topic, I've found that I can create an imbalance by editing a transaction from last year (e.g. deleting a duplicate entry or uncleared cheque) after running the year-end procedure.

Michael