Questions for a fresh GNUCASH ledger in 2016

Questions for a fresh GNUCASH ledger in 2016

Thevenin
I've been using Gnucash for many years now, ever since living abroad. During that time, I have stopped using some foreign accounts or working in these currencies. This week I decided to create a new account by saving the account tree structure and recording my end-of-year balances.

Here is my problem: when I opened the new zero account file, I deleted the accounts I no longer need (i.e. pre-school or AUD currency accounts, etc.). When I enter transactions, though, the transfer suggestions persist in suggesting these deleted accounts.

Can anyone offer some help on this?

Thevenin

Re: Questions for a fresh GNUCASH ledger in 2016

Lincoln A Baxter
Hi Thevenin,

Your Bayes import Slot data was carried over to the new GC files so the
importer is confused about how to do the matches.  But it's fixable.

Attached is a perl script (and documentation -- which is imbedded in
the script too).  I've been working on this on an off, and I believe it
will help you clean up you bayes matching data.  The script does not
modify the GC file it reads, it creates a new GC file with the name you
specify.  You can then check that, with GC before over writing you
original GC file.

Larry (CC'ed) Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I finally got
back to working this last weekend.  I believe I have fixed the problem
you found.  And I have subsequently run this a bunch of times to clean
up my bayes data, after a bunch of account renames etc.

The script can be used to get rid of all the data that references
accounts that no long exist in the file.  And if your renamed accounts,
you can re-target the bayes data.

Enjoy...

Lincoln

ps: I also have a script to remove all transactions older than a
specified date (and I plan to modify it to remove all transaction after
a given date... thus allowing one to split a large GC file on a given
date.

And I just wrote on to move transaction splits.  I needed that when I
consolidated too many account and wanted to split things back out
again.  That script uses the from account, the to account, and a
regular expression searching transaction descriptions to find the
transaction one wants to move.

On Sat, 2016-01-02 at 12:16 -0800, Thevenin wrote:

> I've been using Gnucash for many years now, ever since living abroad.
> During
> that time, I have stopped using some foreign accounts or working in
> these
> currencies. This week I decided to create a new account by saving the
> account tree structure and recording my end-of-year balances.
>
> Here is my problem: when I opened the new zero account file, I
> deleted the
> accounts I no longer need (i.e. pre-school or AUD currency accounts,
> etc.).
> When I enter transactions, though, the transfer suggestions persist
> in
> suggesting these deleted accounts.
>
> Can anyone offer some help on this?
>
> <http://gnucash.1415818.n4.nabble.com/file/n4682289/Gnucash_problem_2
> 016-01-02_temp.png>
>
> Thevenin

gc_prune_bayes_data.pl (51K) Download Attachment
gc_prune_bayes_data.txt (20K) Download Attachment