QFX Importing - Change Descriptions?

Jason Dostal
I've read through the concepts guide, checked the FAQ and searched the
mailing list archives, and can't seem to find an answer to my question.

When I import QFX files from my bank, I'd like to automatically
translate the banks fairly cryptic descriptions of the transactions into
my friendly names, eg -

DDA TRANS 5555 ANY ST

My Local Grocery Store

Anyway to configure this at all?  At the very least is there a
Search/Replace that I'm missing that I could just change all the
descriptions at once?  I know you can't mass change the transfer account
but I wasn't sure about the description field.

I was also looking to see if there was any way to clear out the
QuickFill entries, as the QFX import has populated some pretty cryptic
entries that I'd like to be rid of.

Jason

Re: QFX Importing - Change Descriptions?

Jason Dostal <[hidden email]> writes:

> When I import QFX files from my bank, I'd like to automatically
> translate the banks fairly cryptic descriptions of the transactions into
> my friendly names, eg -
>
> DDA TRANS 5555 ANY ST

> My Local Grocery Store
>
> Anyway to configure this at all?  At the very least is there a
> Search/Replace that I'm missing that I could just change all the
> descriptions at once?  I know you can't mass change the transfer account
> but I wasn't sure about the description field.

No, there's no way to do this in GnuCash.  There is no "search and
replace" functionality, either.  Your best bet is to pre-massage the
OFX file prior to importing.

> I was also looking to see if there was any way to clear out the
> QuickFill entries, as the QFX import has populated some pretty cryptic
> entries that I'd like to be rid of.

the quickfill entries will reset next time you restart gnucash.

> Jason

Re: QFX Importing - Change Descriptions?

Jason Dostal
Thanks Derek.  I noticed last night that the Quickfill entries seemed to
  be picking up on the proper names.

I'll look at putting a quick script together to process my OFX files.
Easy enough to do a bunch of search/replaces on the file.

Jason