Proposed String freeze: Not yet in 1.9.3 but hopefully in 1.9.4

Proposed String freeze: Not yet in 1.9.3 but hopefully in 1.9.4

Christian Stimming
Dear developers,

As discussed here and on IRC before, we plan to have a String Freeze period
between sometime now and the 2.0.0 release. This should give the translators
the time necessary to achieve full translation. More information about the
purpose and what it means is on http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/String_Freeze

But before we actually go into string freeze, we need to double-check two
things:
1. Did we mark all necessary strings for translation, so that no string
additions will be necessary before 2.0.0?
2. Can all English strings be left unchanged for the 2.0.0 release?

To answer #1, several translators (e. g. Tor Harald for Norwegian, myself for
German) have been working hard to already translate as much as possible,
because when running a 100% translated application every
unmarked/untranslated string can be identified very easily. In that respect I
think we're pretty good; Tor still recently discovered some string that have
been missed before, but I have been checking many parts of gnucash for months
except the business module, and since Tor's discoveries are only in the
business module I'd figure the rest is in pretty good shape.

However, the answer to #2 IMHO is not so good so far. Recently I tried to use
the reports in SVN for the first time seriously, and I was rather unhappy
about a lot of things there. One particular problem are the option wordings
and their explanations in many of the newly introduced options, where "newly"
basically refers to the changes by David Montenegro in June/July 2004 (I'll
note other non-translation problems in a separate email). These option
wordings and their explanations really need some serious review. For example,
a choice "Recursive Balance" in the multichoice option "Parent account
balances" is very badly named and cannot be understood easily; the word
"recursive" doesn't exist in a financial context, only in programmers'
minds :-) . So it's pretty clear to me we need to change a bunch of strings
in those report options in order to achieve the same level of consistency and
understandability that we had in 1.8.x. This option wording review needs time
for sure.

Therefore I propose not to have a String freeze with the upcoming 1.9.3, but
instead try to finish the string-related work soon so that we can have an
official String Freeze with the 1.9.4 release, scheduled for April 2nd,
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule .

Nevertheless it would be very good to make a 1.9.3 bugfix release this Sunday
(tomorrow) as planned.

Christian

A couple of words about Norwegian Translation

Tor Harald Thorland
Hello,

A couple of lines about the Norwegian translation.. As Christian said in
the string freeze mail about the report optiions... that they needed a
serious review.
That is also needed on the Norwegian translation at a later stage (Also
due to "lack of" financial experience/words).

The reason that i started to translate GnuCash was: It was just to
"hard" to use it with all the unfamilliar words. (I think it was 200
words translated at that stage) I'll hope at this stage that more people
in my country can/will use it, and I will continue to upgrade the
translation and the account templates to make them more financial :-)

As I might have written before... I'm a Engineer, not a Financial guru.
(There is quite a big difference:-)

I guess at the point when 2.0 is reached I'll have 2650 out of 3600
strings translated (Has 2520 at the moment). It is getting harder
everyday to find strings to easilly translate, but it should be
sufficient as it is now (as I see it) to use it in Norwegian. I then
hope someone will try it and give me some input to review some of it
when 2.0 is out.

So everyone, Thanks for the good help and Keep up the verry good work,
we are getting close to 2.0, wich will be great!!

BTW. what is the normal time between each gnucash release? has there
been any regular releases?

If threre is any Norwegians in here... Please do send a mail!

Tor Harald

Re: A couple of words about Norwegian Translation

Christian Stimming
Am Sonntag, 19. März 2006 14:43 schrieb Tor Harald Thorland:
> A couple of lines about the Norwegian translation.. As Christian said in
> the string freeze mail about the report optiions... that they needed a
> serious review.
> That is also needed on the Norwegian translation at a later stage (Also
> due to "lack of" financial experience/words).

Absolutely -- the German translation needs that, too.

However, this only concerns your language, which is different from the pre
string freeze review of the English strings -- these concern all 28
translations, so that review should be almost finished before we call this a
string freeze.

> The reason that i started to translate GnuCash was: It was just to
> "hard" to use it with all the unfamilliar words. (I think it was 200
> words translated at that stage) I'll hope at this stage that more people
> in my country can/will use it, and I will continue to upgrade the
> translation and the account templates to make them more financial :-)
>
> As I might have written before... I'm a Engineer, not a Financial guru.
> (There is quite a big difference:-)

You know the glossary, don't you? The Norwegian glossary in SVN is not yet
100% translated... One possibility for your further work goes like this: You
could make the glossary a 100% translation first. Then you go through that
translations one by one, and for each English term you search through the bid
po file and translate the easy strings which only needed one fixed
translation of the glossary term. When you've finished, you can be sure that
at least the glossary terms are translated consistently in the whole program
-- and as soon as a financial guru happens to propose a different translation
of one glossary term to you, you would only repeat that step for this single
glossary term.

I'm not sure how easy a search for one word is in kbabel -- in emacs po mode
it is extremely easy (Ctrl-S and start typing).

> BTW. what is the normal time between each gnucash release? has there
> been any regular releases?

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Release_Schedule for the testing releases; after
2.0.0 we will surely have a quick update interval for several 2.0.x releases
as well, especially for updated translations. I'd guess those will be in the
3-4 week interval range.

Christian