Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

dadinva
Now that I have learned more about the scheme programming language, I have
updated my reports.  Unfortunately I don't know how to submit as a pull
request because I don't know how to include the exported entries in the
gnctime-periods file.  I had submitted the transactions.scm report before
but didn't belong to the gnucash-devel list at the time.

I have attached a revised version of the transaction report I previously
posted along with two new reports that compare current with historic.

The transaction report allows you to:
1. Consolidate transactions  - On the display tab you can select to
consolidate transactions and the report will combine all similar
transactions into one total entry.  By checking and unchecking entries on
the display tab you can change how the numbers are combined - by
description, memo, notes, account.  The date range for the items to be
combined is controlled based on the date range selected on the sorting
tab.  You can combine for an entire year, by month, by week, or by quarter.
So for example instead of having 45 Woolworths entries you would only have
one.

2. Search for specific entries - You can use the find option on the sorting
tab to limit the report to only descriptions containing specific text and
you can limit the amount to a given range such as only amounts greater than
500. You can also use the find command to only find reconciled transactions
or to only find deposits to accounts containing the letters xyz.

3. Adjust the amounts to a different time scale -  You can specify on the
general tab you want all of the entries to be scaled.  By which I mean you
can take the results for a full year and divide it by 365 to see what the
amounts are on a daily basis.  You can also take the numbers for a quarter
and multiply by 4 to see what they would look like on an annual basis.

4. Use pick list to select time period for report - You can easily select a
time period on the general tab.  Such as last quarter, 2nd half of the
year, or the month of January.

5. Multi column display - On the Display tab in the amount drop down box
select multi-column and the report  will display a column for each account

The Compare transactions report adds the capability to compare a specific
time period with another time period or several time periods over a given
range.  For example compare last year with the previous 4 years  or last
week with the same week last year.

Under the budget tab Actual vs Historic report provides another way to
compare current expenses with expenses during a prior time period.  The
options for this report are much simpler and easier to use than the compare
transactions report.

To install, download the attached files and put them into your .gnucash
folder.  In windows for me this is

c:/users/UserName/.gnucash.  Warning if you already have a config.user file
then first put into a different folder and then copy the entries in
config.user into your existing config.user file.

If you have the entry
(load (gnc-build-dotgnucash-path "current-vs-average.scm"))
in your config.user file delete the line or edit the file
current-vs-average.scm and make the following two

changes:
1. at line 3288 change the entry 'none to 'one so it looks like
 (list begindate enddate 'one)))

2. at line 3488 change the entry 'none to 'one
(avg-num-days (round (/ (caddr (car (gnc:getdatedelta (list begindate2
enddate2 'one)))) num-periods)))

Doug Doughty

actual-vs-historic.scm (70K) Download Attachment
comparison-transactions.scm (242K) Download Attachment
config.user (598 bytes) Download Attachment
gnctimeperiod-utilities.scm (87K) Download Attachment
transaction.scm (247K) Download Attachment

Re: Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Vojtěch Fried
Hi Doug,

I have tried your excellent transaction.scm report. For me the search functionality is what made me try it. It enables me to tag transactions in the description and utilize it in a report.

But it seems that the report does not handle unicode properly. E.g. czech accented characters are not readable in the report, instead of one such character (like ě) I get two questionmark symbols (actually a black square with a white questionmark). I have not seen this problem anywhere else in gnucash.

Also is there any option to either suppress or nullify (I mean show the transaction with zero value) transactions there are shown twice - both as a positive and negative value?

Vojtěch

Re: Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Vojtěch Fried
Hi again,

one more thing I found playing with the report. It seems it is confused when there are transaction splits to/from Trading accounts. When sorting by Other account name, all transactions in my base currency are ok, but transactions in a foreign currency are all grouped together and the group header and footer (subtotal title) show different account names. I think the report should either ignore Trading accounts or group those transactions as Split transactions.

Vojtěch

Re: Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Adrien Monteleone
In the report options, use the accounts tab to select or de-select the accounts you want to include or not include. Trading accounts are listed at the bottom. If you don’t see them, drag the options window border down so it is taller.

I have tried to filter away the Trading accounts, but that also filters away all the foreign currency transactions. It seems that Trading accounts are somewhat special...
/Vojtech

Re: Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Vojtěch Fried
Ah, my mistake, the two windows (Accounts vs. Filter by...) work in a different way: the upper one operates on transaction splits and the lower one just on transactions.
I have to filter away Trading accounts in the upper window. Now I get what I want. Thanks.
/Vojtech

Re: Proposed Additional Reports - provide simple comparison between multiple time periods e find capability

Vojtěch Fried
I have narrowed down the unicode issue: there is an issue only when Titlecase the first character... option is on. When I turn it off, it is ok.
/Vojtech