Program is hanging up

randix
Ok, well, I was feeling pretty good about my installation a few hours ago,
after days of transferring over data, I was finally nearing the end.  Over
the past few days, however, I began to notice that the program would
occasionally hang up, eg, when I would click to expand a category, when I
went to close out an account, when I went to click on opening up a split,
or simply clicking one of the boxes in the preference area.  I really
didn't think that much of it, cause eventually it would respond.

I started working on one of my last accounts, an investment account, and in
connection with wanting to get price updates, I downloaded and installed
the activeperl program that I understood was a prerequisite to have it
installed.  I'm not sure if that has anything to do with the worsening of
my problems, just mentioning it.

Now the program has got to the point where it opens, etc., but if you try
to do almost anything, even clicking the box to turn on or off tips, or
trying to delete a line, or run an update, it hangs.  Eventually the
program has to be terminated, although in a rare occasion it will finally
execute.

I backed up my data and related files, and uninstalled the program,
re-downloaded it, reinstalled it, etc., but still the same situation.  I
also tried opening up an earlier backup thinking maybe something was wrong
with my data file, but it acts the same.

Using Windows 7.  You folks have any ideas?  I'm exhausted at this point.
 Thanks.

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
This morning I installed an earlier version of the program, 2.4.11, but it still hangs.  Example (and this is only ONE example), I bring up the program just fine, go to one of my accounts, enter a transaction, no problem.  Then I try and delete that transaction, and after I press the delete button, a box partially opens up and the program will "hang".  Sometimes after 3m or so it will execute.  Otherwise I have to kill the program.  Another example, I'll go to Preferences, click on General, and try to click the little box that asks whether or not you want to see tips.  Nothing happens when I click the box, it "hangs".

I have run a virus check, and none of my other programs are exhibiting this behavior.

I really DO want to use Gnucash, but at this point, I'm running out of ideas on this Sunday rainy am :(

Re: Program is hanging up

John Ralls-2

On Dec 23, 2012, at 7:14 AM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> This morning I installed an earlier version of the program, 2.4.11, but it
> still hangs.  Example (and this is only ONE example), I bring up the program
> just fine, go to one of my accounts, enter a transaction, no problem.  Then
> I try and delete that transaction, and after I press the delete button, a
> box partially opens up and the program will "hang".  Sometimes after 3m or
> so it will execute.  Otherwise I have to kill the program.  Another example,
> I'll go to Preferences, click on General, and try to click the little box
> that asks whether or not you want to see tips.  Nothing happens when I click
> the box, it "hangs".
>
> I have run a virus check, and none of my other programs are exhibiting this
> behavior.
>
> I really DO want to use Gnucash, but at this point, I'm running out of ideas
> on this Sunday rainy am :(

Sorry to hear about your problems with Gnucash. I'm a bit confused about your saying that 2.4.11 is an "earlier version", as that's our current release.

One issue that we've seen on Windows is other Gtk applications (Lilypond in particular) that install their dlls into the Windows directory or which add themselves to the global path. Either can cause Gnucash to find their libraries instead of ours and since they're not always using the same versions, it can cause unpredictable behavior in Gnucash.

One thing to try is to create another user account and see if Gnucash works properly when you're logged in as that new user.

Failing that, it's very difficult to diagnose hangs without a debugger to see what exactly the program is doing.

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
John... sincerely appreciate the reply. I've so much time invested in getting my data into this program, not willing to give up (yet)...

So I took your suggestion and tried running the program under a different user.  Created some dummy accounts and played around with it, and it seems to work fine.  Does not hang up at all.

So, now my logical question...what does that tell me and what am I to conclude by that?  Obviously (?) I don't want to have to switch users just to run GnuCash...

Re: Program is hanging up

Mike or Penny Novack

>So I took your suggestion and tried running the program under a different
>user.  Created some dummy accounts and played around with it, and it seems
>to work fine.  Does not hang up at all.
>
>So, now my logical question...what does that tell me and what am I to
>conclude by that?  Obviously (?) I don't want to have to switch users just
>to run GnuCash...

Patience, Steve.

John asked you to do something and report on what happened. Not sitting
at your computer support people have to ask you to do things and then
tell them the result. Wait till he gets back to you. That it has
something to do with your (previous) user log in but not with another
might not be information useful to you but probably is to John.

Note that I here have to deal with wonky behavior (though not usually
hangs) because of a user ID problem*. John's next question might be to
show him the two user IDs.

Michael

* special characters in the user ID

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
User Ids:

Steve-Dell (the one I have the hangups in)
Steve-Dell1 (the one that seems to work ok)

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
Think I found the "culprit"...

1. Several days ago when I did my FIRST installation of GnuCash, I was busy importing my data.  I took a break and started looking at how I could enhance the appearance.  I saw reference to the "gtk2_prefs" program in the Bin directory, that would change the appearance of the program, etc.  I toyed with various choices in that program, and settled on the "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.  I can't say I recall it exactly, but I THINK I noticed the GnuCash program starting to hang up at that point, although it was a small annoyance because the delays were not significant.  Anyway, I went back to continue to work on importing my data.  And as I reported here, yesterday it finally got to the point where the "hang-ups" made the program unusable.

2. Today I tried your suggestion of running the program under a separate user.  And as I reported, the program ran fine.  At first I used some dummy data, then I copied over my data files that I was usiing yesterday, and it continued to work fine.

3. A little bit ago I then ran that "gtk2_prefs" program and installed the "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style for this NEW user.  Immediately the program "hung-up" just like it did for my original user name.

4. I just created ANOTHER NEW user, installed my original data files, and the program seems to run fine.

SO:

a. My question is now, how to SCRUB my original user so there's no indication the "gtk2_prefs" program ever ran.  Note:  As I said earlier, when I was running the original user and encountered the problem, I did UNINSTALL the program AND I did delete all of the folders--including those starting with "."  But when I reinstalled the program and ran it, it was still hanging up, so obviously (?) I must have missed something because it was "remembering" my choice of the "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.

b. Any guidance how best to "cleanse" my system so that any traces of running that "gtk2_prefs" program are removed, would definitely be appreciated.  Related, have their been any reported problems with that program?

Anyway, I could be wrong, but based on the past hour or so, that's what I noticed and hoping that will helpful for you to lend some insight.

Thanks again...

Re: Program is hanging up

John Ralls-2

On Dec 23, 2012, at 12:19 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Think I found the "culprit"...
>
> 1. Several days ago when I did my FIRST installation of GnuCash, I was busy
> importing my data.  I took a break and started looking at how I could
> enhance the appearance.  I saw reference to the "gtk2_prefs" program in the
> Bin directory, that would change the appearance of the program, etc.  I
> toyed with various choices in that program, and settled on the
> "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.  I can't say I recall it exactly, but I
> THINK I noticed the GnuCash program starting to hang up at that point,
> although it was a small annoyance because the delays were not significant.
> Anyway, I went back to continue to work on importing my data.  And as I
> reported here, yesterday it finally got to the point where the "hang-ups"
> made the program unusable.
>
> 2. Today I tried your suggestion of running the program under a separate
> user.  And as I reported, the program ran fine.  At first I used some dummy
> data, then I copied over my data files that I was usiing yesterday, and it
> continued to work fine.
>
> 3. A little bit ago I then ran that "gtk2_prefs" program and installed the
> "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style for this NEW user.  Immediately the program
> "hung-up" just like it did for my original user name.
>
> 4. I just created ANOTHER NEW user, installed my original data files, and
> the program seems to run fine.
>
> SO:
>
> a. My question is now, how to SCRUB my original user so there's no
> indication the "gtk2_prefs" program ever ran.  Note:  As I said earlier,
> when I was running the original user and encountered the problem, I did
> UNINSTALL the program AND I did delete all of the folders--including those
> starting with "."  But when I reinstalled the program and ran it, it was
> still hanging up, so obviously (?) I must have missed something because it
> was "remembering" my choice of the "Smooth-Tangerine-Dream" style.
>
> b. Any guidance how best to "cleanse" my system so that any traces of
> running that "gtk2_prefs" program are removed, would definitely be
> appreciated.  Related, have their been any reported problems with that
> program?
>
> Anyway, I could be wrong, but based on the past hour or so, that's what I
> noticed and hoping that will helpful for you to lend some insight.

Good detective work. Themes do indeed often cause trouble, especially on Windows. I avoid using them -- and spend almost all of my time on a Mac anyway -- so they don't come first to mind when someone reports a problem.

One obvious and safe thing to try is to run gtk2_prefs again and pick a different theme.
Otherwise, look for a file called .gtkrc or .gtkrc-2.0 in your home directory (the same one with .gnucash and .gconf).
Deleting that should revert to the default theme.

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
Don't congratulate me yet.

1. I did not find either of your referenced .gtkrc or .gtkrc-2.0 files in my home directory in my original user space.  After getting your reply, when I ran GnuCash in my original user space, it was hanging up as reported earlier although clearly there is no evidence of that style being there (I can tell cause there is no ORANGE).

2. So I went to my last "new user" that still runs GnuCash just fine, and copied the .gconf, .gconfdd, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and .gnucash folders (ok, I'm flailing) from that new user over to the original user, thinking if it works there, must work here...

Note:  The only "thing" that distinguishes having GnuCash run successfully vs. not successfully (eg hanging up), is where it runs successfully, that style program was NEVER run on it.

3. After copying those folders over, the program does not hang, eg non-responsive and an error dialog box comes up.  However, it is non-responsive, eg, if I click to expand Expenses, it opens up, but if I click again to minimize it, it does nothing; if I click Equity, it does nothing; if I go to preferences and click the tip box, it does nothing.

So clearly (to me), something is remembering that I had run that style program even though it is no longer active.

Sigh.

Re: Program is hanging up

Maf. King
On Sun 23 December 12 13:33:57 Steve wrote:

> Don't congratulate me yet.
>
> 1. I did not find either of your referenced .gtkrc or .gtkrc-2.0 files in my
> home directory in my original user space.  After getting your reply, when I
> ran GnuCash in my original user space, it was hanging up as reported
> earlier although clearly there is no evidence of that style being there (I
> can tell cause there is no ORANGE).
>
> 2. So I went to my last "new user" that still runs GnuCash just fine, and
> copied the .gconf, .gconfdd, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and .gnucash folders
> (ok, I'm flailing) from that new user over to the original user, thinking if
> it works there, must work here...
>
> Note:  The only "thing" that distinguishes having GnuCash run successfully
> vs. not successfully (eg hanging up), is where it runs successfully, that
> style program was NEVER run on it.
>
> 3. After copying those folders over, the program does not hang, eg
> non-responsive and an error dialog box comes up.  However, it is
> non-responsive, eg, if I click to expand Expenses, it opens up, but if I
> click again to minimize it, it does nothing; if I click Equity, it does
> nothing; if I go to preferences and click the tip box, it does nothing.
>
> So clearly (to me), something is remembering that I had run that style
> program even though it is no longer active.
>
> Sigh.

Hi Steve,

don't give up yet - the fact that it works for a new user is certainly cause
for encouragement.

I don't know how GC and Windows interact, perhaps the theme setting is lurking
somewhere in the registry rather than configuration files?  John Ralls clearly
knows more about this than I do, and I'm sure he'll pick up this thread again
with better advice when he is able!

Since your original user setup isn't working correctly, and you think it may
be due to a particular theme, can you re-run the gtk2_prefs settings managar
and either change the theme to something else, or better perhaps, back to
default?

Season's Greetings
Maf.

RE: Program is hanging up

Dustin Henning

On Sun 23 December 12 13:33:57 Steve wrote:

> Don't congratulate me yet.
>
> 1. I did not find either of your referenced .gtkrc or .gtkrc-2.0 files
> in my home directory in my original user space.  After getting your
> reply, when I ran GnuCash in my original user space, it was hanging up
> as reported earlier although clearly there is no evidence of that
> style being there (I can tell cause there is no ORANGE).
>
> 2. So I went to my last "new user" that still runs GnuCash just fine,
> and copied the .gconf, .gconfdd, .gnome2, .gnome2_private, and
> .gnucash folders (ok, I'm flailing) from that new user over to the
> original user, thinking if it works there, must work here...
>
> Note:  The only "thing" that distinguishes having GnuCash run
> successfully vs. not successfully (eg hanging up), is where it runs
> successfully, that style program was NEVER run on it.
>
> 3. After copying those folders over, the program does not hang, eg
> non-responsive and an error dialog box comes up.  However, it is
> non-responsive, eg, if I click to expand Expenses, it opens up, but if
> I click again to minimize it, it does nothing; if I click Equity, it
> does nothing; if I go to preferences and click the tip box, it does
nothing.

> So clearly (to me), something is remembering that I had run that style
> program even though it is no longer active.
>
> Sigh.

Hi Steve,

don't give up yet - the fact that it works for a new user is certainly cause
for encouragement.

I don't know how GC and Windows interact, perhaps the theme setting is
lurking somewhere in the registry rather than configuration files?  John
Ralls clearly knows more about this than I do, and I'm sure he'll pick up
this thread again with better advice when he is able!

Since your original user setup isn't working correctly, and you think it may
be due to a particular theme, can you re-run the gtk2_prefs settings managar
and either change the theme to something else, or better perhaps, back to
default?

Season's Greetings
Maf.

I'm running in XP, or I would try to help you find something you could have
missed, but assuming you're going to delete the new user at some point
anyway, you could also run gtk_prefs in the new user and not even change
anything just to confirm that simply running it doesn't cause a problem like
you are afraid.  If that doesn't cause a problem, it might be more
encouraging for you.

RE: Program is hanging up

randix
Darn puzzling...

1. I tried running that Gtk2_prefs style program again, and tried 10 of the various styles offered, and still experienced the same hang up problem, although it evidenced itself slightly different with each style.

2. So I went back to my original installation.  I (a) uninstalled the GnuCash program using its own uninstall file; (b) I manually deleted the main GnuCash directory, and also deleted all of the files that were created under my user directory; (c) I also deleted my data files on that original user installation; (d) I ran 3 different registry clean up programs to make sure any registry entries weren't lying around; (e) I manually ran regedit and searched for any gnc* or gt* etc registry listings; (f) I rebooted the computer; (g) I reinstalled GnuCash; (h) created a new set of accounts.  And it still hangs.  My definition of "hangs"... if I click on the expenses top category it opens up the list, but if i click it again, it does nothing, etc.

3. The program I installed on a different user where I never ran Gtk2_prefs, still works just fine.

Obviously (?) something is still left that the original user is picking up.  And note... when I first installed the program there many days ago, it worked fine...

Sorta out of ideas... :(

Re: Program is hanging up

Colin Law-4
On 24 December 2012 22:17, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Sorta out of ideas... :(

Could you just forget about the original user and use the new one?

Colin

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
Well, all of my programs are installed under the other user; seems crazy to have to switch users just to run GnuCash.  Guess it depends how much I like it.  I really do like it, such a breath of fresh air from Quicken, Mint, Yodlee, etc.  But still...

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
If there is a command that I can use to open or collapse an account category, I think I could live with it (as to why, see the *below).  For example, if I'm in the account listing and I want to expand the EXPENSES main account (or collapse it)--other than clicking on the + sign (which for whatever reason doesn't work, eg see all of the above, is there any keyboard combination in the program that will do it that's not totally obvious to me, eg Alt O or Alt T, etc., because those keyboard combinations seem to work now, where a mouse click doesn't?  Obviously (?) if I just hit "return", it opens up the main Expenses category which is just a placeholder, doesn't open up all of the sub accounts below it.

*The hangups are not as pervasive after the total reinstall, eg, if I go into preferences, I find I'm able to click or unclick any of the boxes; if I'm in a specific account, and I wish to delete a transaction, it does it normally.  It seems that the only remaining "hangup" is in the account listings.  At least, I think that's what I'm seeing.

Thanks for letting me do all these posts.  All I want to do is just use the darn program.

Re: Program is hanging up

randix
Don't ask me what I did, but now it's working perfectly under my ORIGINAL user.  No delays whatsoever, no problems with opening and collapsing accounts.  I wish I could explain it to help the next person, but I really have no idea what I did since my last posting here.  Holding my breath that it won't revert...

Sincere thank you to those of you who tried to help, hope you folks have a great Xmas (I'm sitting in the International departure area of the SFO airport, not looking forward to a six hour layover in Minnesota from midnight to 6 am :(  But will have ample time to finish importing in my data to GnuCash!

Thanks again for your tolerance.

Steve Miller

Re: Program is hanging up

Dave H
Steve,

I don't know of it's relevant but there is an open gnucash bug which may
explain what you are seeing (see below) -
https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=668403

Cheers & Merry Xmas, Dave H.

Has anyone with these issues been using a custom theme for GnuCash as set by
the "set a theme" program?

Similar issue experienced by me just now when upgrading from 2.4.7 to 2.4.11.
Re-installation ineffective, any version 2.4.9 or above experienced the same
problem. Once or twice though it launched successfully but with strange UI
elements that froze GnuCash when clicked on. Issue was resolved by launching
"set a theme" and hitting the reset button. Suspect some of the old themes and
the divided up libraries post-2.4.9 don't play nice with each other.

On 25 December 2012 10:27, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Don't ask me what I did, but now it's working perfectly under my ORIGINAL
> user.  No delays whatsoever, no problems with opening and collapsing
> accounts.  I wish I could explain it to help the next person, but I really
> have no idea what I did since my last posting here.  Holding my breath that
> it won't revert...
>
> Sincere thank you to those of you who tried to help, hope you folks have a
> great Xmas (I'm sitting in the International departure area of the SFO
> airport, not looking forward to a six hour layover in Minnesota from
> midnight to 6 am :(  But will have ample time to finish importing in my
> data
> to GnuCash!
>
> Thanks again for your tolerance.
>
> Steve Miller

RE: Program is hanging up

Dustin Henning
        I was going to suggest that you check for .<fossrelated>
files/folders in your C:\Users\<OriginalUser> folder once you tried wiping
the whole program, but hopefully you don't end up needing to do that since
the problem went away.  I'm not sure that's where they would be, but you
didn't mention deleting anything of the sort in your last uninstall/install,
and I am fairly sure they would exist.  In XP they would have been in
C:\Documents and Settings\<UserName> and might have been a subset of these
folder names:
        The reason I say subset is I run some other FOSS that could have
created those files/folders.  Some of them put it in
C:\Users\<UserName>\Application Data, but given the .gnucash file in the
list above, I assume it doesn't.  Nonetheless, this information is now here
in case you end up wanting to try to wipe it out again.  If you do have to,
though, keep a backup in case removing any of these breaks other programs
and keep your data file.  I can't imagine there are many instances where it
should be the culprit.  If you have automatic backups or whatever on in
gnucash, you might manually copy the previous version to keep it longer than
the default window when any kind of issue occurs, but that would probably
(and hopefully), do nothing but keep you a little more comfortable and/or
allow you to confirm that the file isn't the soure of the issue (by
experiencing it in the older version).  Good luck.
        Dustin