Problems retrieving share prices

Leslie Katz
I have Gnucash 1.8.11 installed. I recently installed Finance::Quote as
well and ran the "dump-finance-quote" test program successfully.

I next created a new file called "Shares".

I set up 33 accounts in the file, one for each type of security I hold.

I said they were each of the type "ASX" (Australian Stock Exchange).
(Running finance-quote-check lists "asx" (as did dump-finance-quote), so
I assumed it was alright to list each such security, which trades on the
ASX, as being of that type.)

When I finished entering all the securities in the Price Editor, I ran
"gnucash --add-price-quotes $HOME/gnucash.xac", as mentioned in the
guide, as a result of which I got the following output:

gnucash: [W] "No accounts marked for quote retrieval."
gnucash: [M] "session-save failed "1003
gnucash: [E] "Failed to add quotes to ""/home/leslie/gnucash.xac"

I recalled that the Price Editor screen had a "Get Quotes" button, so I
opened that and pressed the button. I got a box that listed 24 of the 33
securities shown on the Price Editor screen and said "Unable to retrieve
quotes for these items". It also asked me whether I wanted to "Continue
using only the good quotes?". I said no.

I went to the ASX website and entered each of the first ten securities
in alphabetical order one at a time into a box. When I did that and
pressed "Enter" on each occasion, I got a last price for the security.
Most, if not all, of the ten were in the group of 24 I was told earlier
couldn't be retrieved.

I'd be very grateful for any advice as to how to get things going.

Re: Problems retrieving share prices

Dale Alspach
Did you check the box that says get online quotes and choose a source for
each of the 33 securities? (Edit Account)

Dale Alspach

Dale Alspach wrote:

>Did you check the box that says get online quotes and choose a source for
>each of the 33 securities? (Edit Account)
>
>Dale Alspach

Hello, Dale.

I've just finished the exercise and can confirm that, for each of the 33
accounts, the Price Quote Source area of the Edit Account window shows a
tick for Get Online Quotes, shows ASX as the source of the quotes and
shows Australia/Sydney as the timezone for the quotes. (The ASX is in
Sydney, as am I.)

Thanks for replying,

Leslie

Dale Alspach wrote:

>Did you check the box that says get online quotes and choose a source for
>each of the 33 securities? (Edit Account)
>
>Dale Alspach

My apologies.

Section 8.5.3.1 of the guide says, "you should run the
'dump-finance-quote' test program ... to test if Finance::Quote is ...
working properly".

Well, I did that (or so I thought). I issued the command
"dump-finance-quote". It worked. I got output telling me the usage and
available sources.

It's only while trying some more to figure out what was wrong that I
decided to issue the command "

Dale Alspach wrote:

>Did you check the box that says get online quotes and choose a source for
>each of the 33 securities? (Edit Account)
>
>Dale Alspach

My apologies.

Section 8.5.3.1 of the guide says, "you should run the
'dump-finance-quote' test program ... to test if Finance::Quote is ...
working properly".

Well, I did that (or so I thought). I issued the command
"dump-finance-quote". It worked. I got output telling me the usage and
available sources.

It's only while trying some more to figure out what was wrong that I
decided to issue instead the command "dump-finance-quote asx agl".

 From that, I got the following output:

"The query for AGL failed!!
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
symbol: AGL <=== required
date: ** missing ** <=== required
currency: AUD <=== required
last: 17.960 <=\
nav: <=== one of these
price: 17.960 <=/
timezone: <=== optional"

I'm afraid I'm no better at interpreting that output than I was the
sentence in the guide.

I can confirm that the AGL query worked in part, because today's closing
price was in fact $17.96. However, I don't know from what it is that the
date's missing.

I'd be grateful for any instructions as to how to solve the date problem.

Re: Problems retrieving share prices

Dale Alspach
There is at least one person who subscribes to this list that helps with
the development of Finance:Quote. I hope he will chime in. In the meantime
if prices of any of those securities are listed elsewhere trying changing
the source of the quotes. This may show that the particular source that
you have chosen for retrieving the quotes is the problem.

Dale Alspach

Re: Problems retrieving share prices

David Hampton-2
On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 18:53 +1100, Leslie Katz wrote:

> Well, I did that (or so I thought). I issued the command
> "dump-finance-quote". It worked. I got output telling me the usage and
> available sources.
>
> It's only while trying some more to figure out what was wrong that I
> decided to issue instead the command "dump-finance-quote asx agl".
>
>  From that, I got the following output:
>
> "The query for AGL failed!!
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
> symbol: AGL <=== required
> date: ** missing ** <=== required

This is the key line.  Gnucash requires a date as part of the quote and
ASX doesn't appear to be returning one.  ASX is offline at the moment
(at least I can't reach it), but I checked the F::Q test scripts and ASX
is one of the few quote sources where the date isn't tested.

You could try pulling these quotes from yahoo.  Try "dump-finance-quote
yahoo_australia AGL" or "dump-finance-quote yahoo AGL.AX".

Re: Problems retrieving share prices

Chris-329

> Dale Alspach wrote:
>
>> Did you check the box that says get online quotes and choose a source
>> for
>> each of the 33 securities? (Edit Account)
>>
>> Dale Alspach

Dale I had problems last December which I tracked to
Finance::Quote::ASX. After fixing this myself I found that
Finance::Quote had been updated in a simular way. I just ran gnucash
--add-price-quotes successfully. So I'd suggest pulling down the latest
F::Q.

Regards,
Chris Leach

David Hampton wrote:

>You could try pulling these quotes from yahoo.  Try "dump-finance-quote
>yahoo_australia AGL" or "dump-finance-quote yahoo AGL.AX".

Hello, David.

Thank you for your suggestion. After trying it successfully, I edited
all accounts to show Yahoo Australia as the source for price quotes and
that seems to have fixed the problem.

May I ask a supplementary question though?

In order to test just a short time ago that my editing had worked, I
pressed the "Get Quotes" button a number of times. That led to my having
multiple entries for individual shares, all showing today's date. I see
that the "Remove Old" button permits me to remove entries older than
today. Can I set the date to tomorrow, so that all quotes disappear from
the Price Editor window or will that delete all my laborious typing out
of the commodities too?

Chris Leach wrote:

I had problems last December which I tracked to Finance::Quote::ASX. After fixing this myself I found that
Finance::Quote had been updated in a simular way. I just ran gnucash --add-price-quotes successfully. So I'd suggest pulling down the latest F::Q.

Hello, Chris.

Thank you for your suggestion. I assume I have the latest F::Q, having followed the instructions for installing it in section 8.5.3.1 of the Gnucash Guide. In any event, the problem seems to have been resolved by switching my source.

Thanks again to Dale, David and Chris.

On Thu, 2006-02-02 at 16:13 +1100, Leslie Katz wrote:

> In order to test just a short time ago that my editing had worked, I
> pressed the "Get Quotes" button a number of times. That led to my having
> multiple entries for individual shares, all showing today's date. I see
> that the "Remove Old" button permits me to remove entries older than
> today. Can I set the date to tomorrow, so that all quotes disappear from
> the Price Editor window or will that delete all my laborious typing out
> of the commodities too?

All buttons in the "Price Editor" window affect only price quotes, not
commodities.  What you suggest should be fine.

David Hampton wrote:

>All buttons in the "Price Editor" window affect only price quotes, not
>commodities.  What you suggest should be fine.

Thanks for your latest post, David. I acted on your advice, setting the "Remove Old" date to tomorrow. That emptied the Price Editor window completely. I then pressed "Get Quotes" and that filled the window again with only one entry for each share type, so that all worked as I'd hoped.

I know it might be a bit presumptuous of me, but it does seem to me that
there should be a more direct way in Gnucash of achieving what I wanted
to do (say a "Clear All" button in the Price Editor window) than the
above method. However, since the above method does work, I'm very pleased.

Thanks again,

Leslie

On Fri, 2006-02-03 at 05:16 +1100, Leslie Katz wrote:

> I know it might be a bit presumptuous of me, but it does seem to me that
> there should be a more direct way in Gnucash of achieving what I wanted
> to do (say a "Clear All" button in the Price Editor window) than the
> above method.

Gnucash 2.0 will have better options for clearing old price quotes.