Problem with swedish characters

Fredrik Persson-2
Hello!

I've googled around for solutions to this problem, without finding anything really useful.

I'm having severe problems with the swedish characters åäö, ÅÄÖ in 1.8.10. (Can't tell if this exists on 1.8.12 as well, can't build that thing on Ubuntu.)

Here are a few screenshots to explain the problem:

1. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ works fine when it comes to account names, as can be seen here:

http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31475/picture-hosting/account-name-works.jpg

2. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ does NOT work in entries properly, but they DO work in the bottom of the window. I don't know what that is called, but it is clear from this screenshot:

http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31476/picture-hosting/entry-does-now-work.jpg

I started gnucash with non-UTF8 locale like so:

LC_ALL=sv_SE gnucash

... because my regular locale is en_US.UTF-8 and if I don't do this, no swedish characters are shown at all, and I get a LOT of error messages when I start gnucash:

Error: gnc_mbstowcs: bad multi-byte conversion
Error: gnc_quickfill_insert: bad text conversion

What can I do? Is there anything I *can* do?

Thanks!

/Fredrik Persson

Re: Problem with swedish characters

Derek Atkins
gtk-1 is pretty poor about internationalization..  You might want to wait
for gnucash-2.0.  The 1.9.0 alpha release was just made last weekend, so
we're on the road to 2.0 really soon.

I suspect this problem is a mismatch of iso-8859-1 and UTF8.

Unfortunately gnucash-1.8 is REALLY BAD about encodings.  :(

-derek

Quoting Fredrik Persson <[hidden email]>:

> Hello!
>
> I've googled around for solutions to this problem, without finding
> anything really useful.
>
> I'm having severe problems with the swedish characters åäö, ÅÄÖ in
> 1.8.10. (Can't tell if this exists on 1.8.12 as well, can't build
> that thing on Ubuntu.)
>
> Here are a few screenshots to explain the problem:
>
> 1. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ works fine when it comes to account names,
> as can be seen here:
>
> http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31475/picture-hosting/account-name-works.jpg
>
> 2. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ does NOT work in entries properly, but they
> DO work in the bottom of the window. I don't know what that is
> called, but it is clear from this screenshot:
>
> http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31476/picture-hosting/entry-does-now-work.jpg
>
> I started gnucash with non-UTF8 locale like so:
>
> LC_ALL=sv_SE gnucash
>
> ... because my regular locale is en_US.UTF-8 and if I don't do this,
> no swedish characters are shown at all, and I get a LOT of error
> messages when I start gnucash:
>
> Error: gnc_mbstowcs: bad multi-byte conversion
> Error: gnc_quickfill_insert: bad text conversion
>
> What can I do? Is there anything I *can* do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> /Fredrik Persson

Re: Problem with swedish characters

Tor Harald Thorland
Fredrik Persson wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I've googled around for solutions to this problem, without finding anything really useful.
>
> I'm having severe problems with the swedish characters åäö, ÅÄÖ in 1.8.10. (Can't tell if this exists on 1.8.12 as well, can't build that thing on Ubuntu.)
>
> Here are a few screenshots to explain the problem:
>
> 1. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ works fine when it comes to account names, as can be seen here:
>
> http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31475/picture-hosting/account-name-works.jpg
>
> 2. The characters åäö ÅÄÖ does NOT work in entries properly, but they DO work in the bottom of the window. I don't know what that is called, but it is clear from this screenshot:
>
> http://server4.pictiger.com/img/31476/picture-hosting/entry-does-now-work.jpg
>
> I started gnucash with non-UTF8 locale like so:
>
> LC_ALL=sv_SE gnucash
>
> ... because my regular locale is en_US.UTF-8 and if I don't do this, no swedish characters are shown at all, and I get a LOT of error messages when I start gnucash:
>
> Error: gnc_mbstowcs: bad multi-byte conversion
> Error: gnc_quickfill_insert: bad text conversion
>
> What can I do? Is there anything I *can* do?
>
> Thanks!
>
> /Fredrik Persson

Hello,
You didn't say wich Ubuntu, but I belive it's 1.8.12 wich is in the
Breezy Repo.
On Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.04 (develop version) it's 1.8.12.

All the ubuntu packages are here:
http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gnucash/

Brgds
Tor Harald

Re: Problem with swedish characters

This reply should have gone to gnucash-user.  I'm forwarding it
there...

-derek