Problem with OS X installation instructions

Problem with OS X installation instructions

Dan Smith
I followed the instructions on this page to install the gnucash port:

<http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/MacPortsDetail>

I then decided to upgrade to the gnucash-devel port, and followed
those instructions.

This resulted in a variety of errors due to conflicts between guile/
slib-guile and guile16/slib-guile16.  Examples:

Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
bin/guile is being used by the active guile16 port.  Please
deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the activation.

Error: Target com.apple.destroot returned: could not create new link
"/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
_opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_dp
orts_devel_slib-guile/work/destroot//opt/local/share/guile/slib":
that path already exists

I *think* the right sequence of commands to upgrade would be this:
sudo port deactivate gnucash
sudo port deactivate slib-guile16
sudo port deactivate guile16

My sequence of commands & missteps was much less direct, but I think
it accomplished essentially the same thing.

—Dan

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Dan Smith
Perhaps I spoke too soon.  Deactivating the 1.6 versions allowed me
to cleanly build gnucash-devel.  But gnucash crashes at runtime.
Even after *uninstalling* each of gnucash, gnucash-devel, g-wrap16,
slib-guile16, guile16, slib-guile, and guile, and doing a fresh "sudo
port install gnucash-devel", I get the following error soon after the
splash screen comes up:

*****

gnc.bin-Message: main: binreloc relocation support was disable at
configure time
.

Backtrace:
In unknown file:
    ?:  0* [primitive-load-path "c-interface.scm"]
In /opt/local/share/gnucash/scm/c-interface.scm:
   21:  1* [require hash-table]
In unknown file:
    ?:  2  (cond ((not feature) (set! *catalog* #f)) ((slib:provided?
feature)) .
..)
    ?:  3  (let* ((path #)) (cond (# #) (# # #) (# # #) ...))
    ?:  4* [catalog:get hash-table]
    ?:  5* (if (not *catalog*) (let* ((slibcat #)) (cond (# # #)) ...))
    ?:  6  (let* ((slibcat #)) (cond (# # #)) (cond (slibcat #)) ...)
    ?:  7  (set! *catalog* (append (catalog:try-read # "usercat")
*catalog*))
    ?:  8* [append ...
    ?:  9*  [catalog:try-read ...
    ?: 10*   (user-vicinity)

<unnamed port>: In expression (user-vicinity):
<unnamed port>: Unbound variable: user-vicinity

*****

Any ideas what is going wrong?  How can I get a working copy of 2.1.5?

—Dan

Configuration info:
GNUCash 2.1.5
Mac OS X 10.4.10
Installed via MacPorts:
   aqbanking @2.2.9_1 (active)
   atk @1.18.0_0 (active)
   audiofile @0.2.6_0 (active)
   autoconf @2.61_0 (active)
   automake @1.10_0 (active)
   bison @2.3_0 (active)
   cairo @1.4.10_0 (active)
   cups-headers @1.1.15_1 (active)
   dbus @1.0.2_2 (active)
   dbus-glib @0.73_0 (active)
   docbook-xml @4.5_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.1.2 @4.1.2_1 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.2 @4.2_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.3 @4.3_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.4 @4.4_0 (active)
   docbook-xml-4.5 @4.5_0 (active)
   docbook-xsl @1.72.0_0 (active)
   esound @0.2.38_1 (active)
   expat @2.0.1_0 (active)
   fontconfig @2.4.2_0+macosx (active)
   freetype @2.3.4_1 (active)
   gail @1.18.0_0 (active)
   gconf @2.18.0.1_0 (active)
   getopt @1.1.4_0 (active)
   gettext @0.16.1_0 (active)
   glib1 @1.2.10_5 (active)
   glib2 @2.12.12_0 (active)
   gmp @4.2.1_4+test (active)
   gnome-icon-theme @2.18.0_1 (active)
   gnome-keyring @0.8.1_0 (active)
   gnome-mime-data @2.4.3_0 (active)
   gnome-vfs @2.18.1_0 (active)
   gnucash-devel @2.1.5_0 (active)
   gnucash-docs @2.0.1_0 (active)
   goffice @0.3.8_0 (active)
   gtk2 @2.10.13_0 (active)
   guile @1.8.1_2+darwin_8 (active)
   gwenhywfar @2.5.3_0 (active)
   heimdal @0.7.2_0 (active)
   hicolor-icon-theme @0.10_0 (active)
   howl @0.9.10_0 (active)
   icon-naming-utils @0.8.1_0 (active)
   intltool @0.35.5_0 (active)
   jpeg @6b_1 (active)
   ktoblzcheck @1.13_0 (active)
   libart_lgpl @2.3.19_1 (active)
   libbonobo @2.18.0_0 (active)
   libbonoboui @2.18.0_0 (active)
   libglade2 @2.6.0_1 (active)
   libgnome @2.18.0_0 (active)
   libgnomecanvas @2.14.0_1 (active)
   libgnomecups @0.2.2_0 (active)
   libgnomeprint @2.12.1_0 (active)
   libgnomeprintui @2.12.1_0 (active)
   libgnomeui @2.18.1_0 (active)
   libgsf @1.14.3_1 (active)
   libgtkhtml @2.11.0_0 (active)
   libgtkhtml3 @3.14.2_0 (active)
   libgtkhtml312 @3.12.2_0 (active)
   libiconv @1.11_4+darwin_8 (active)
   libidl @0.8.8_0 (active)
   libofx @0.8.3_0 (active)
   libpng @1.2.18_0+darwin_8 (active)
   libtool @1.5.22_0 (active)
   libxml2 @2.6.28_1 (active)
   libxslt @1.1.20_0 (active)
   m4 @1.4.9_0 (active)
   ncurses @5.6_0+darwin_8 (active)
   ncursesw @5.6_0+darwin_8 (active)
   neon @0.26.3_0 (active)
   opensp @1.5.2_0 (active)
   openssl @0.9.8e_0+darwin_8 (active)
   orbit2 @2.14.7_0 (active)
   p5-compress-raw-zlib @2.005_0 (active)
   p5-compress-zlib @2.005_0 (active)
   p5-crypt-ssleay @0.53_0 (active)
   p5-datemanip @5.44_0 (active)
   p5-finance-quote @1.13_0 (active)
   p5-html-parser @3.56_0 (active)
   p5-html-tableextract @2.10_0 (active)
   p5-html-tagset @3.10_0 (active)
   p5-io-compress-base @2.005_0 (active)
   p5-io-compress-zlib @2.005_0 (active)
   p5-libwww-perl @5.805_0 (active)
   p5-scalar-list-utils @1.18_0 (active)
   p5-uri @1.35_0 (active)
   p5-xml-namespacesupport @1.09_0 (active)
   p5-xml-parser @2.34_3 (active)
   p5-xml-simple @2.16_0 (active)
   pango @1.16.4_0 (active)
   pcre @7.1_1+utf8 (active)
   perl5.8 @5.8.8_0+darwin_8 (active)
   pkgconfig @0.21_0 (active)
   popt @1.11_1 (active)
   qt3 @3.3.8_0+darwin_8 (active)
   readline @5.2.001_0 (active)
   render @0.9_0 (active)
   scrollkeeper @0.3.14_4 (active)
   slib @3a3_0 (active)
   slib-guile @1.0_2 (active)
   tiff @3.8.2_0+darwin_8 (active)
   Xft2 @2.1.7_0 (active)
   xmlcatmgr @2.2_0 (active)
   xmlto @0.0.18_2 (active)
   xrender @0.9.0_0+darwin_8 (active)
   yelp @2.6.5_0 (active)
   zlib @1.2.3_1 (active)

> I followed the instructions on this page to install the gnucash port:
>
> <http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/MacPortsDetail>
>
> I then decided to upgrade to the gnucash-devel port, and followed
> those instructions.
>
> This resulted in a variety of errors due to conflicts between guile/
> slib-guile and guile16/slib-guile16.  Examples:
>
> Error: Target com.apple.activate returned: Image error: /opt/local/
> bin/guile is being used by the active guile16 port.  Please
> deactivate this port first, or use the -f flag to force the
> activation.
>
> Error: Target com.apple.destroot returned: could not create new link
> "/opt/local/var/db/dports/build/
> _opt_local_var_db_dports_sources_rsync.rsync.darwinports.org_dpupdate_
> dp
> orts_devel_slib-guile/work/destroot//opt/local/share/guile/slib":
> that path already exists
>
> I *think* the right sequence of commands to upgrade would be this:
> sudo port deactivate gnucash
> sudo port deactivate slib-guile16
> sudo port deactivate guile16
>
> My sequence of commands & missteps was much less direct, but I think
> it accomplished essentially the same thing.
>
> —Dan

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Marc André Selig-2
On 7/5/07, Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Perhaps I spoke too soon.  Deactivating the 1.6 versions allowed me
> to cleanly build gnucash-devel.  But gnucash crashes at runtime.
> Even after *uninstalling* each of gnucash, gnucash-devel, g-wrap16,
> slib-guile16, guile16, slib-guile, and guile, and doing a fresh "sudo
> port install gnucash-devel", I get the following error soon after the
> splash screen comes up:

Does it work if you install gnucash-devel+guile16?

(You will have to remove guile, slib-guile and g-wrap before doing so.)

Regards,
Marc

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Dave-229
Sometime in June (it looks like June 14th) according to the timestamp
on /opt/local/bin/gnucash I was able to install it on my 10.4.x G5
system. I had done a fresh download of macports.dmg file and then
installed a few other things. The main command I had done first to
get some other software working was:

port install py-gnome

After manually "port install"ing a few packages to get that to work,
I later did port install gnucash and I now have 2.0.5 working except
for the print to PDF problem I posted a few weeks ago.

Here is the result of doing "port installed|grep -i guile" on my system.

   gnucash @2.0.5_2+guile16 (active)
   guile16 @1.6.8_0+darwin_8 (active)
   slib-guile16 @1.0_0 (active)

Looks like I was lucky enough to not get the 1.8 version. I can send
you the full output of "port installed" off list if you want.

HTH,
Dave

On Jul 5, 2007, at 3:21 PM, Daniel Smith wrote:

> [...]
>> that path already exists
>>
>> I *think* the right sequence of commands to upgrade would be this:
>> sudo port deactivate gnucash
>> sudo port deactivate slib-guile16
>> sudo port deactivate guile16
>>
>> My sequence of commands & missteps was much less direct, but I think
>> it accomplished essentially the same thing.
>>
>> —Dan

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Dan Smith
> On Jul 5, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Dave wrote:
>> Here is the result of doing "port installed|grep -i guile" on my
>> system.
>>
>>   gnucash @2.0.5_2+guile16 (active)
>>   guile16 @1.6.8_0+darwin_8 (active)
>>   slib-guile16 @1.0_0 (active)
>>
>> Looks like I was lucky enough to not get the 1.8 version. I can
>> send you the full output of "port installed" off list if you want.

The first thing I did was to install gnucash (*not* gnucash-devel),
which was version 2.0.x.  I ran into a bug, though, and am trying to
see if 2.1.5 fixes it.  As I understand it, gnucash depends on
guile16/slib-guile16, while gnucash-devel depends on guile/slib-guile
(the 1.8 versions).

On Jul 5, 2007, at 3:34 PM, Marc André Selig wrote:

> On 7/5/07, Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Perhaps I spoke too soon.  Deactivating the 1.6 versions allowed me
>> to cleanly build gnucash-devel.  But gnucash crashes at runtime.
>> Even after *uninstalling* each of gnucash, gnucash-devel, g-wrap16,
>> slib-guile16, guile16, slib-guile, and guile, and doing a fresh "sudo
>> port install gnucash-devel", I get the following error soon after the
>> splash screen comes up:
>
> Does it work if you install gnucash-devel+guile16?
>
> (You will have to remove guile, slib-guile and g-wrap before doing
> so.)
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Not sure what you mean.  "gnucash-devel+guile16" does not appear to
be a valid choice:

$ -> sudo port install gnucash-devel+guile16
Error: Port gnucash-devel+guile16 not found

$ -> sudo port search gnucash
gnucash                        gnome/gnucash  2.0.5        a personal
and small-business financial-accounting software
gnucash-devel                  gnome/gnucash-devel 2.1.5
financial-accounting software
gnucash-docs                   gnome/gnucash-docs 2.0.1        docs
for gnucash

—Dan

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Marc André Selig-2
On 7/5/07, Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The first thing I did was to install gnucash (*not* gnucash-devel),
> which was version 2.0.x.  I ran into a bug, though, and am trying to
> see if 2.1.5 fixes it.  As I understand it, gnucash depends on
> guile16/slib-guile16, while gnucash-devel depends on guile/slib-guile
> (the 1.8 versions).

In principle you're right, but you can have gnucash-devel use the
known-good guile 1.6 by requesting the +guile16 variant.  That's why
I'm asking about gnucash-devel+guile16.

This is documented in port info gnucash-devel.

Regards,
Marc

Re: Problem with OS X installation instructions

Marc André Selig-2
On 7/5/07, Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Not sure what you mean.  "gnucash-devel+guile16" does not appear to
> be a valid choice:
>
> $ -> sudo port install gnucash-devel+guile16

Sorry, my bad.

sudo port install gnucash-devel +guile16

(note the additional space)

Regards,
Marc

On Jul 5, 2007, at 3:55 PM, Marc André Selig wrote:

> On 7/5/07, Daniel Smith <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Not sure what you mean.  "gnucash-devel+guile16" does not appear to
>> be a valid choice:
>>
>> $ -> sudo port install gnucash-devel+guile16
>
> Sorry, my bad.
>
> sudo port install gnucash-devel +guile16
>
> (note the additional space)
>
> Regards,
> Marc

Aha.  I took it to be an entirely different port, not the same entity
with an additional parameter.

I was able to successfully build and run using that flag.  I haven't
played much with the app yet, but it starts up without any trouble.
Thanks for your help!

—Dan