Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
   Trying to build 2.0.1 on my Slackware-10.2 system, and ./configure tells
me it cannot find cairo.pc or gtk+2 > 2.4.

   Taking the offered suggestion, I create the environment variable:

export PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/local/gtk+-2.8.20

and try running ./configure again. Same errors show up:

checking for gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4... Package cairo was not found in the
pkg-config search path. Perhaps you should add the directory containing
`cairo.pc' to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable Package 'cairo',
required by 'Pango Cairo', not found
configure: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4) not met; consider
adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your libraries are in
a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

   I thought that pkg-config was only for gtk+1, not the latest version.
Regardless, I am not sure what else to do so that I can get past this point.

Suggestions?

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Derek Atkins
Are you sure you have the full gtk/gnome development environment installed?
I mean you ARE running slackware, which doesn't come with gnome.  Where
did you get your gnome system?  Have you read the Wiki?   Have you
considered switching to a real distribution?

-derek

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Are you sure you have the full gtk/gnome development environment
> installed? I mean you ARE running slackware, which doesn't come with
> gnome. Where did you get your gnome system?  Have you read the Wiki?
> Have you considered switching to a real distribution?

derek,

   Yes, I'm sure. I went through this to get 2.0.0 installed. That's when I
discovered the Freerock Gnome and installed that.

   What's a "real" distribution? Linspire? There are more than 200
distributions out there.

   I upgraded to the latest FRG and the gazillion packages that I have no
need to use (other than to be able to run gnucash) are all installed here.

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Derek Atkins
Quoting Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Are you sure you have the full gtk/gnome development environment
>> installed? I mean you ARE running slackware, which doesn't come with
>> gnome. Where did you get your gnome system?  Have you read the Wiki?
>> Have you considered switching to a real distribution?
>
> derek,
>
>   Yes, I'm sure. I went through this to get 2.0.0 installed. That's when I
> discovered the Freerock Gnome and installed that.

If you successfully built 2.0.0, then there's no reason that 2.0.1 shouldn't
build, too, given the exact same environment.  The build system didn't change
that much between 2.0.0 and 2.0.1, especially in this area.

>   What's a "real" distribution? Linspire? There are more than 200
> distributions out there.

Well, in this case one that actually ships gnome?  I was thinking one of
the major versions:  Debian, Gentoo, Ubuntu, RedHat, Fedora...

>   I upgraded to the latest FRG and the gazillion packages that I have no
> need to use (other than to be able to run gnucash) are all installed here.

Don't know what to tell you.  What does config.log say?

> Rich

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Josh Sled
On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 12:34 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Trying to build 2.0.1 on my Slackware-10.2 system, and ./configure tells
> me it cannot find cairo.pc or gtk+2 > 2.4.
[deletia]
>    I thought that pkg-config was only for gtk+1, not the latest version.
> Regardless, I am not sure what else to do so that I can get past this point.

pkg-config is still used, pretty extensively.

Where'd you get the glib/gtk/gnome ("g*") packages from?  Do you
actually have cairo installed?

What does `locate cairo.pc` return?  Is that pkgconfig directory in the
path?  What about `locate -r gtk.*\.pc`?

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Don't know what to tell you.  What does config.log say?

   Other than 'exit 1' at the end, nothing that explicitly has an error
message associated with it. It's 83K so I won't send it unless asked to do
so.

   I'm also checking with the freerock and slapt-get mail lists to see if
there's something there that may be causing the problem.

Thanks,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Derek Atkins
Quoting Rich Shepard <[hidden email]>:

> On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:
>
>> Don't know what to tell you.  What does config.log say?
>
>   Other than 'exit 1' at the end, nothing that explicitly has an error
> message associated with it. It's 83K so I won't send it unless asked to do
> so.

Any errors wont be at the end.  They would be several pages back.
You could pastebin it and send the pastebin link..  Or you can actually
read through the 83KB until the error shows up near (but not AT) the
end.

>   I'm also checking with the freerock and slapt-get mail lists to see if
> there's something there that may be causing the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Rich

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Josh Sled wrote:

> pkg-config is still used, pretty extensively.

Josh,

   Oh. OK. I must have mis-remembered.

   Gnome is from Freerock (http://gsb.freerock.org). cairo-1.2.0-i386-1 is
installed.

> What does `locate cairo.pc` return?  Is that pkgconfig directory in the
> path?

[rshepard@salmo /usr/local/gnucash-2.0.1]$ locate cairo.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/pangocairo.pc
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig/cairo.pc

   That's why I explicitly added that path to the environment variable.

>  What about `locate -r gtk.*\.pc`?

   Among all the references are these:

/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/libgtkhtml-3.8.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk-doc.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-x11-2.0.pc
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/xulrunner-gtkmozembed.pc
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pcx.la
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.4.0/loaders/libpixbufloader-pcx.so

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Derek Atkins wrote:

> Any errors wont be at the end. They would be several pages back. You could
> pastebin it and send the pastebin link. Or you can actually read through
> the 83KB until the error shows up near (but not AT) the end.

Derek,

   Only the same error that displayed when configure was run:

configure:30859: error: Library requirements (gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4) not met;
consider adjusting the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable if your
libraries are in a nonstandard prefix so pkg-config can find them.

locate gtk+-2.0
/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
/usr/local/gtk+-2.8.20/gtk+-2.0.pc.in
/usr/local/gtk+-2.8.20/gtk+-2.0-uninstalled.pc.in

   Since gtk+2 is in the pkgconfig directory I didn't understand the error
mesage.

Rich

On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:

> /usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc

[root@salmo /usr/lib/pkgconfig]# less gtk+-2.0.pc
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
target=x11

gtk_binary_version=2.4.0
gtk_host=i686-pc-linux-gnu

Name: GTK+
Version: 2.8.12
Requires: gdk-${target}-2.0 atk cairo
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgtk-${target}-2.0
Cflags: -I${includedir}/gtk-2.0

   Should the gtk_binary_verson be 2.8.12 rather than 2.4.0?

Rich

On Tue, 2006-08-22 at 13:50 -0700, Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Should the gtk_binary_verson be 2.8.12 rather than 2.4.0?

Nope.  That's what it is here.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Josh Sled wrote:

> Nope.  That's what it is here.

   Well, that's a grasped straw that broke. :-)

Thanks, Josh,

Rich

--
Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.               |    The Environmental Permitting
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)    |            Accelerator
<http://www.appl-ecosys.com>     Voice: 503-667-4517      Fax: 503-667-8863

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Mark Johnson-2
I've got gnucash 2.0 running on Slackware 10.2.  Here is my gtk+-2.0.pc
file:
prefix=/usr
exec_prefix=${prefix}
libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
includedir=${prefix}/include
target=x11

gtk_binary_version=2.4.0
gtk_host=i686-pc-linux-gnu

Name: GTK+
Version: 2.6.10
Requires: gdk-${target}-2.0 atk
Libs: -L${libdir} -lgtk-${target}-2.0
Cflags: -I${includedir}/gtk-2.0

As you can see, mine is actually older than yours.  I have another
system with 2.8.11 installed.  I suspect that the problem is elsewhere
than in the gtk version.

Why do you have a path:

/usr/local/gtk+-2.8.20/
???

Was this from a build you did yourself of this package?  The corresponding path is not on either of my systems.

What happens if you type:
$ pkg-config "gtk+-2.0 >= 2.4"
$ echo $?

On my system, the result is 0 (i.e. good).  If I type:
$ pkg-config "fizzbin+-2.0 >= 2.4"
$ echo $?

The result is 1; I don't have a package called fizzbin.

Mark

Rich Shepard wrote:

>On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Rich Shepard wrote:
>

>>/usr/lib/pkgconfig/gtk+-2.0.pc
>>

>[root@salmo /usr/lib/pkgconfig]# less gtk+-2.0.pc
>prefix=/usr
>exec_prefix=${prefix}
>libdir=${exec_prefix}/lib
>includedir=${prefix}/include
>target=x11
>
>gtk_binary_version=2.4.0
>gtk_host=i686-pc-linux-gnu
>
>Name: GTK+
>Version: 2.8.12
>Requires: gdk-${target}-2.0 atk cairo
>Libs: -L${libdir} -lgtk-${target}-2.0
>Cflags: -I${includedir}/gtk-2.0
>
>   Should the gtk_binary_verson be 2.8.12 rather than 2.4.0?
>
>Rich

Re: Problem Building 2.0.1

Rich Shepard
On Tue, 22 Aug 2006, Mark Johnson wrote:

> I've got gnucash 2.0 running on Slackware 10.2.  Here is my gtk+-2.0.pc file:

   Thanks very much, Mark. I, too, had 2.0.0 running here. It was when I
tried to upgrade to 2.0.1 that things fell apart.

   I've made some progress by using slapt-get to download 2.0.1 from the
Freerock Gnome -current directory. There's still a missing library
(libgoffice-1.so.2), and I'll work on that when I return from this business
trip. Darn plane is delayed at Burbank so we're leaving Portland
one-and-a-quarter hour late. Sigh. Get into Denver about 1:00 am, and my
meeting's at 10:00 am. Oh, well.

Rich