Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Jeffrey Black
The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no satisfactory answers then.

Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open Office.

Any suggestions other OCR scanning HTML printouts?

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Derek Atkins-3
Why not export to html and then import directly to open office?

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

On woensdag 9 augustus 2017 02:47:52 CEST Jeffrey Black wrote:
> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no
> satisfactory answers then.
>
> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
> Office.

The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue. The more
recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.

The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with webkit1 as
webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page breaks
will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Colin Law
On 9 August 2017 at 11:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On woensdag 9 augustus 2017 02:47:52 CEST Jeffrey Black wrote:
>> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no
>> satisfactory answers then.
>>
>> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
>> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
>> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
>> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
>> Office.
>>
> The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue. The more
> recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.
>
> The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with webkit1 as
> webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page breaks
> will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.

Other than the obvious one to not use Windows.
That may sound like a flippant comment, but actually it is not
difficult to move to something like Ubuntu unless you absolutely need
an application that is only available on Windows. I did it some years
ago and have never regretted it. It is great to feel that one is back
in control of one's PC again.

Colin

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 8/8/2017 8:47 PM, Jeffrey Black wrote:

> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no satisfactory
> answers then.
>
> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
> Office.
>
> Any suggestions other OCR scanning HTML printouts?
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.
Easy, I do this all the time when preparing quarterly reports for the
boards of the organizations for which I keep books. For the simple
reason that there is a lot of editing to be done and that is FAR easier
to do under the control of a general purpose editor than writing scheme
(custom reports) within gnucash.

steps:
a) Export the RAW report from gnucash. You know have a file in HTML format.
b) Open that, select all, copy.
c) Paste "unformatted" into your text document under open office,
libreoffice, whatever.
d) Edit to your heart's content.
      Understand, HERE is where you control where pages break, what
fonts and sizes you want, what zero amounts to purge from the report or
what levels of details you might need to reporting purposes but the
board doesn't want to see, add annotations and footnotes and any
necessary fixed text.

      As a retired rather senior systems analyst, I could of course have
learned scheme (I can at least read LISP) but an experienced accountant
told me "Mike, don't bother. Do the editing OUTSIDE of gnuash. Any
experienced accountant would choose to do it that way using their
favorite genera purpose editor."

Mike Novack

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Anita Graves-2
Jeffrey, I have had success with using the printer app—reduce the image to 97% and see what happens…. Anita

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 4:04 PM, Mike or Penny Novack <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 8/8/2017 8:47 PM, Jeffrey Black wrote:
>> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no satisfactory
>> answers then.
>>
>> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
>> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
>> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
>> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
>> Office.
>>
>> Any suggestions other OCR scanning HTML printouts?
>>
>> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.
> Easy, I do this all the time when preparing quarterly reports for the boards of the organizations for which I keep books. For the simple reason that there is a lot of editing to be done and that is FAR easier to do under the control of a general purpose editor than writing scheme (custom reports) within gnucash.
>
> steps:
> a) Export the RAW report from gnucash. You know have a file in HTML format.
> b) Open that, select all, copy.
> c) Paste "unformatted" into your text document under open office, libreoffice, whatever.
> d) Edit to your heart's content.
>     Understand, HERE is where you control where pages break, what fonts and sizes you want, what zero amounts to purge from the report or what levels of details you might need to reporting purposes but the board doesn't want to see, add annotations and footnotes and any necessary fixed text.
>
>     As a retired rather senior systems analyst, I could of course have learned scheme (I can at least read LISP) but an experienced accountant told me "Mike, don't bother. Do the editing OUTSIDE of gnuash. Any experienced accountant would choose to do it that way using their favorite genera purpose editor."
>
> Mike Novack

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Jeffrey Black
<quote author="Colin Law">
On 9 August 2017 at 11:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On woensdag 9 augustus 2017 02:47:52 CEST Jeffrey Black wrote:
>> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no
>> satisfactory answers then.
>>
>> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
>> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
>> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
>> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
>> Office.
>>
> The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue. The more
> recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.
>
> The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with webkit1 as
> webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page breaks
> will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.

Other than the obvious one to not use Windows.
That may sound like a flippant comment, but actually it is not
difficult to move to something like Ubuntu unless you absolutely need
an application that is only available on Windows. I did it some years
ago and have never regretted it. It is great to feel that one is back
in control of one's PC again.

Colin

As you and Geert pointed out moving to a Unix based system would be the smart thing to do, for many reasons.  Unfortunately I am still stuck with some legacy WidoZe apps for which there are no replacements, yet.  Once I can find suitable replacements for them I will happily remove the only legally available computer virus in the world from my computer and go strictly with a UNIX box.

You have no idea how happy I was when I discovered GnuCash and it's very unrelated distant cousin GnuCash for Android.

Since I do not want to take a chance on wiping my windows boot drive just yet I think I will take your suggestions and try running a copy of Ubuntu in a VMware box and printing reports from there.  Simple enough to get access to a copy of my data files.

Thanks for the idea.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Anita Graves-2
Jeffrey, I suggest you change your print image to about 97% in your print program.  That worked for me.  Anita

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 5:37 PM, Jeffrey Black <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> On 9 August 2017 at 11:31, Geert Janssens &lt;geert.gnucash@&gt; wrote:
>> On woensdag 9 augustus 2017 02:47:52 CEST Jeffrey Black wrote:
>>> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no
>>> satisfactory answers then.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
>>> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
>>> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a
>>> browser
>>> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in
>>> Open
>>> Office.
>>>
>> The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue. The
>> more
>> recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.
>>
>> The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with webkit1
>> as
>> webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page
>> breaks
>> will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.
>
> Other than the obvious one to not use Windows.
> That may sound like a flippant comment, but actually it is not
> difficult to move to something like Ubuntu unless you absolutely need
> an application that is only available on Windows. I did it some years
> ago and have never regretted it. It is great to feel that one is back
> in control of one's PC again.
>
> Colin
>
> As you and Geert pointed out moving to a Unix based system would be the
> smart thing to do, for many reasons.  Unfortunately I am still stuck with
> some legacy WidoZe apps for which there are no replacements, yet.  Once I
> can find suitable replacements for them I will happily remove the only
> legally available computer virus in the world from my computer and go
> strictly with a UNIX box.
>
> You have no idea how happy I was when I discovered GnuCash and it's very
> unrelated distant cousin GnuCash for Android.
>
> Since I do not want to take a chance on wiping my windows boot drive just
> yet I think I will take your suggestions and try running a copy of Ubuntu in
> a VMware box and printing reports from there.  Simple enough to get access
> to a copy of my data files.
>
> Thanks for the idea.
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Anita Graves-2
Jeffrey, I failed to say that I use a Mac, not Windows and not a pc.  I don’t know if that makes a difference.  I think not.  Anita

> On 9 Aug 2017, at 5:42 PM, Anita Graves <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Jeffrey, I suggest you change your print image to about 97% in your print program.  That worked for me.  Anita
>
>> On 9 Aug 2017, at 5:37 PM, Jeffrey Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue. The
>>> more
>>> recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.
>>>
>>> The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with webkit1
>>> as
>>> webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page
>>> breaks
>>> will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.
>>
>> Other than the obvious one to not use Windows.
>> That may sound like a flippant comment, but actually it is not
>> difficult to move to something like Ubuntu unless you absolutely need
>> an application that is only available on Windows. I did it some years
>> ago and have never regretted it. It is great to feel that one is back
>> in control of one's PC again.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> As you and Geert pointed out moving to a Unix based system would be the
>> smart thing to do, for many reasons.  Unfortunately I am still stuck with
>> some legacy WidoZe apps for which there are no replacements, yet.  Once I
>> can find suitable replacements for them I will happily remove the only
>> legally available computer virus in the world from my computer and go
>> strictly with a UNIX box.
>>
>> You have no idea how happy I was when I discovered GnuCash and it's very
>> unrelated distant cousin GnuCash for Android.
>>
>> Since I do not want to take a chance on wiping my windows boot drive just
>> yet I think I will take your suggestions and try running a copy of Ubuntu in
>> a VMware box and printing reports from there.  Simple enough to get access
>> to a copy of my data files.
>>
>> Thanks for the idea.
>>
>> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

ph hermes
this happens on my mac too. it's very annoying. i have done the suggestions
others have offered but they are time consuming and a report should break
between lines. i've tried exporting into numbers or excel and then i have
to fiddle with the columns. i've tried shrinking the amount and sometimes
it works and sometimes not.

i haven't loaded the newest version so maybe it's been fixed.if so, many
thanks.

~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:~:
writer ~:~ photographer ~:~ book designer
resident manager
paulahendricks.com

On Wed, Aug 9, 2017 at 3:42 AM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 9 August 2017 at 11:31, Geert Janssens <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > On woensdag 9 augustus 2017 02:47:52 CEST Jeffrey Black wrote:
> >> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no
> >> satisfactory answers then.
> >>
> >> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
> >> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not
> work
> >> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a
> browser
> >> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in
> Open
> >> Office.
> >>
> > The good news is that in gnucash 2.8 this will no longer be an issue.
> The more
> > recent webkit2 being used does properly handle page breaks.
> >
> > The bad news is our Windows version of gnucash 2.8 will stick with
> webkit1 as
> > webkit2 is not available there. So unfortunately on Windows the page
> breaks
> > will continue to be borked. For now there is no solution to this.
>
> Other than the obvious one to not use Windows.
> That may sound like a flippant comment, but actually it is not
> difficult to move to something like Ubuntu unless you absolutely need
> an application that is only available on Windows. I did it some years
> ago and have never regretted it. It is great to feel that one is back
> in control of one's PC again.
>
> Colin

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Jeffrey Black
<quote author="Derek Atkins-3">
Why not export to html and then import directly to open office?

-derek
Sent using my mobile device. Please excuse any typos.

On August 8, 2017 8:49:59 PM Jeffrey Black <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The last post I can find on this is from 2013, and there were no satisfactory
> answers then.
>
> Does anyone know how or of a utility that will allow me to print reports
> without the text splitting in half across page breaks?  PDF does not work
> and besides I can not import it into my documents.  HTML export to a browser
> is not really an option as I need to add these reports to documents in Open
> Office.
>
> Any suggestions other OCR scanning HTML printouts?
>
> --JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Derek:

Last several times I tried directly importing a report as HTML I ended up spending more time reformatting the page than I would have just typing it in in the first place.  I either did something wrong in the import or I just got frustrated with the short time frame I had to work in.

Besides you tend to get lazy as you get older.

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Jeffrey Black
Anita Graves-2 wrote
Jeffrey, I suggest you change your print image to about 97% in your print program.  That worked for me.  Anita

Anita:

Mac always has had better printing capability, that is the reason my class mates always fought over the one and only one available to us when I was getting my Masters degree, way back in the dark-ages of computers.

Reducing print size has no effect on the split lines at pagination on Windoze.  Or my issue of importing into Open Office.

However; You might just be a genius.

I need to find a legacy version of Adobe Acrobat reader for Micro$soft and also find out if GNU Cash locks the PDF exported file.  If the file is not locked then I might just be able to export the file from Acrobat Reader intact complete with formatting just as I did with the Beef newsletter from my local extension office.

The formatting of the newsletter was a lot simpler but; if this works then I get the text without the mangled formatting of HTML.  Graphics are easy enough to grab with right click and save if I have to.

Worth a shot;

Thank you for the idea

--JEffrey Black M.B.A.

Re: Printing reports without spliting text across pages

Alton Brantley
I run Gnucash on a Mac, but under VirtualBox with Ubuntu. That way, my data is stashed on a virtual disk for security and it’s a cleaner environment.