Printing Chart of Accounts

Dominic Grosleau
In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??

The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.

Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA
Sent by my Blackberry, I-Pod Touch, Computer, PSP, DS, PDA, Tablet, smoke signal, ESP, Cell Phone, Other device nobody but the manufacturer cares about....

Re: Printing Chart of Accounts

Mike Simms
I think you can only print a report, rather than a the accounts tab (the
one that's always open). Do any of the reports suit your purposes, maybe
a Trial Balance? that at least list the accounts, if that's what is
meant by chart of accounts. HTH.

On 09/10/13 15:09, Dominic Grosleau wrote:

> In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??
>
> The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.
>
> Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA
> Sent by my Blackberry, I-Pod Touch, Computer, PSP, DS, PDA, Tablet, smoke signal, ESP, Cell Phone, Other device nobody but the manufacturer cares about....

Mike Simms  +34 648749426

Re: Printing Chart of Accounts

foxylady337
On 9 Oct 2013, at 14:09, Dominic Grosleau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??
>
> The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.
>
> Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA

Fast-and-dirty method - almost certainly could be improved!!

Reports->Account Summary

Then adjust the Options so that the date of the summary is before the first entry in your accounts (e.g. 01/01/1970), so every account will have a zero balance.

Tidy it up a bit by ticking the box marked "Omit zero balance figures" (in the Display tab of Options).

You might need to adjust other options to get the information you need.

Michael

Re: printing chart of Accounts

Peter Kiessling

Message: 1
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 13:09:52 +0000
From: "Dominic Grosleau " <[hidden email]>
To: "[hidden email] " <[hidden email]>
Subject: Printing Chart of Accounts

In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??

The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.

Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA
Sent by my Blackberry, I-Pod Touch, Computer, PSP, DS, PDA, Tablet, smoke signal, ESP, Cell Phone, Other device nobody but the manufacturer cares about....

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2013 15:28:03 +0200
From: Mike Simms <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: Printing Chart of Accounts

I think you can only print a report, rather than a the accounts tab (the
one that's always open). Do any of the reports suit your purposes, maybe
a Trial Balance? that at least list the accounts, if that's what is
meant by chart of accounts. HTH.

On 09/10/13 15:09, Dominic Grosleau wrote:

> In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??
>
> The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.
>
> Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA
> Sent by my Blackberry, I-Pod Touch, Computer, PSP, DS, PDA, Tablet, smoke signal, ESP, Cell Phone, Other device nobody but the manufacturer cares about....

Mike Simms  +34 648749426

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Wed, 9 Oct 2013 14:35:18 +0100
From: Michael Hendry <[hidden email]>
To: Dominic Grosleau <[hidden email]>
Cc: "[hidden email] " <[hidden email]>

On 9 Oct 2013, at 14:09, Dominic Grosleau <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to printer??
>
> The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office Calc cannot open properly.
>
> Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I need to bring him my draft CoA

Fast-and-dirty method - almost certainly could be improved!!

Reports->Account Summary

Then adjust the Options so that the date of the summary is before the first entry in your accounts (e.g. 01/01/1970), so every account will have a zero balance.

Tidy it up a bit by ticking the box marked "Omit zero balance figures" (in the Display tab of Options).

You might need to adjust other options to get the information you need.

Michael

For my money the best bet is the report "Account Summary"
Adjust options as detailed by Michael. You can adjust the subaccount level shown up to 6.
Save report to Desktop.
Open report in HTML (YOur browser)
At this point you can print it or if you wish to massage it further, as I sometimes do,  import it into excel
Excel Import: Select all of report and "copy"
open Excel and go to "paste special." I like "Unicode text" which preserves the gridlines  Paste report.
From there you can add or delete at will. This does preserve the parent/child relationship by using indentations but does not separate them into individual columns.  Then print with or without gridlines.
This will probably work with other spreadsheet programs with a few mods of the paste command.

Now I haven't figured out how to take such a report of just the account tree (no numbers) from excel or a CSV save back into a new copy Gnucash.  Anybody?

Re: [GNC] Printing Chart of Accounts

Friend
Dominic Grosleau wrote

> In gnucash 2.4.11 for linuxmint, how do I print the chart of account to
> printer??
>
> The print option is graayed out, and when trying to export in the only
> format available (xml) it comes out in a .gnucash file that libre office
> Calc cannot open properly.
>
> Please help as I am sittting down with accountant this afternoon and I
> need to bring him my draft CoA
> Sent by my Blackberry, I-Pod Touch, Computer, PSP, DS, PDA, Tablet, smoke
> signal, ESP, Cell Phone, Other device nobody but the manufacturer cares
> about....

I know this is an old post, but just in case someone is still looking for
the answer: In GnuCash 3.0 I have found an export option under the File
menu, where you can export it to a CSV file, which can easily be opened with
a spread sheet program (like Excel or Libreoffice). I would recommend to use
de .csv extension with your filename.

The resulting file has not only the names, but properties of the accounts.
You can delete the columns if you don't want them.