Price Quotes - problem getting current values

Price Quotes - problem getting current values

Jay Ridgley
Hi Y'all,

I just tried to obtain the current prices for my investments using the
Price Editor --> Get Quotes

The response was:

There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes.

How do I correct the problem?

I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with GnuCash 2.6.12
(This copy was built from rev ed11f6d+ on 2016-04-18.)

Cheers,
Jay
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Price Quotes - problem getting current values

Tommy Trussell
On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi Y'all,
>
> I just tried to obtain the current prices for my investments using the
> Price Editor --> Get Quotes
>
> The response was:
>
> There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes.
>
> How do I correct the problem?
>
> I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with GnuCash 2.6.12
> (This copy was built from rev ed11f6d+ on 2016-04-18.)

There is a section in the FAQ that covers this:

https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F

Note that the Finance Quote functions have been discussed a LOT on this
list over the past few months due to circumstances outside of GnuCash
developers' control. After you read the sections in the FAQ, if your
installation is still misbehaving, you might also check the archives for
this email list

On 12/30/2017 11:43 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Y'all,
>
>     I just tried to obtain the current prices for my investments using
>     the Price Editor --> Get Quotes
>
>     The response was:
>
>     There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes.
>
>     How do I correct the problem?
>
>     I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with GnuCash 2.6.12
>     (This copy was built from rev ed11f6d+ on 2016-04-18.)
>

> There is a section in the FAQ that covers this:
>
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F
>
> Note that the Finance Quote functions have been discussed a LOT on this
> list over the past few months due to circumstances outside of GnuCash
> developers' control. After you read the sections in the FAQ, if your
> installation is still misbehaving, you might also check the archives for
> this email list

>     -----
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks Tommy,

After reading things over I tried to do some checking...

Opened a new terminal and entered the following:

sudo perl /usr/bin/gnc-fq-update

This is the error message:

Can't open perl script "/usr/bin/gnc-fq-update": No such file or directory

gnc-fq-check ran correctly and listed ("1.38"..."yahoo"...)

Do I not have the Finance::Quote package properly installed? If so how
can I get it, I installed/updated the following packages when my system
was last built:

gnucash 1:2.12-1
gnucash-common 1:2.12-1
gnucash-docs 2.6.12-1

/usr/bin contains several gnc-fq files but update is not one of them!

Ideas?

Jay
--
Jay Ridgley
jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Price Quotes - problem getting current values

David Carlson-4
For users with similar issues another place to check:
https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F

David C

On 12/31/2017 02:00 PM, David Carlson wrote:

> For users with similar issues another place to check:
> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_Why_doesn.27t_online_quoting_work.3F
>
> David C
>
> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 6:42 AM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     On 12/30/2017 11:43 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>

>         On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Jay Ridgley
>         <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>         <mailto:[hidden email]
>         <mailto:[hidden email]>>> wrote:
>
>              Hi Y'all,
>
>              I just tried to obtain the current prices for my
>         investments using
>              the Price Editor --> Get Quotes
>
>              The response was:
>
>              There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes.
>
>              How do I correct the problem?
>
>              I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with GnuCash 2.6.12
>              (This copy was built from rev ed11f6d+ on 2016-04-18.)
>

>         There is a section in the FAQ that covers this:
>
>         https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F
>         <https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F>
>
>         Note that the Finance Quote functions have been discussed a LOT
>         on this list over the past few months due to circumstances
>         outside of GnuCash developers' control. After you read the
>         sections in the FAQ, if your installation is still misbehaving,
>         you might also check the archives for this email list

>              -----
>              Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>              You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

>     Thanks Tommy,
>
>     After reading things over I tried to do some checking...
>
>     Opened a new terminal and entered the following:
>
>     sudo perl /usr/bin/gnc-fq-update
>
>     This is the error message:
>
>     Can't open perl script "/usr/bin/gnc-fq-update": No such file or
>     directory
>
>     gnc-fq-check ran correctly and listed ("1.38"..."yahoo"...)
>
>     Do I not have the Finance::Quote package properly installed? If so
>     how can I get it, I installed/updated the following packages when my
>     system was last built:
>
>     gnucash 1:2.12-1
>     gnucash-common 1:2.12-1
>     gnucash-docs 2.6.12-1
>
>     /usr/bin contains several gnc-fq files but update is not one of them!
>
>     Ideas?
>
>     Jay
>     --
>     Jay Ridgley
>     jridgley2 at austin.rr.com <http://austin.rr.com>
>     Registered Linux User ID - 9115
>     https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
>     <https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png>
>     Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320
>     Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>     You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Thanks David,

The latest version of libfinance-quote-perl that I have available is
1.38. Where can I obtain 1.41 or later that is compatible with my system

jridgley2 at austin.rr.com
Registered Linux User ID - 9115
https://linuxcounter.net/cert/9115.png
Registered Ubuntu User ID - 23320

Re: Price Quotes - problem getting current values

> On Dec 31, 2017, at 4:42 AM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 12/30/2017 11:43 PM, Tommy Trussell wrote:
>> On Sat, Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM, Jay Ridgley <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>    Hi Y'all,
>>    I just tried to obtain the current prices for my investments using
>>    the Price Editor --> Get Quotes
>>    The response was:
>>    There was an unknown error while retrieving the price quotes.
>>    How do I correct the problem?
>>    I am running Ubuntu 16.04.3 LTS with GnuCash 2.6.12
>>    (This copy was built from rev ed11f6d+ on 2016-04-18.)
>> There is a section in the FAQ that covers this:
>> https://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_fix_a_.22system_error.22_or_.22unknown_error.22_when_getting_stock_quotes.3F
>> Note that the Finance Quote functions have been discussed a LOT on this list over the past few months due to circumstances outside of GnuCash developers' control. After you read the sections in the FAQ, if your installation is still misbehaving, you might also check the archives for this email list
>>    -----
>>    Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
>>    You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
> Thanks Tommy,
>
> After reading things over I tried to do some checking...
>
> Opened a new terminal and entered the following:
>
> sudo perl /usr/bin/gnc-fq-update
>
> This is the error message:
>
> Can't open perl script "/usr/bin/gnc-fq-update": No such file or directory
>
> gnc-fq-check ran correctly and listed ("1.38"..."yahoo"...)
>
> Do I not have the Finance::Quote package properly installed? If so how can I get it, I installed/updated the following packages when my system was last built:
>
> gnucash 1:2.12-1
> gnucash-common 1:2.12-1
> gnucash-docs 2.6.12-1
>
> /usr/bin contains several gnc-fq files but update is not one of them!

Look in the "show files" function of your distro's package manager to see if it got put somewhere else. If it's completely missing, beat up your distro's packager for leaving it out.

It's just a perl script. You can get it from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Gnucash/gnucash/master/libgnucash/quotes/gnc-fq-update.in. You can change the name and fix the shebang or not as you please.

Or you can just do what it does directly:
sudo cpan Date::Manip Finance::Quote

Some package managers include CPAN modules, so you might be able to install those with your package manager as well.