Password screw-up "magic fix"?

randix
I've used GnuCash for a long time, have the current stable version, Windows
10.

Question:  Since Adam & Eve first danced, whenever I *accidently* hit
"remember PIN" (something I would never do intentionally, but seem to do
from time to time) when downloading transactions on a particular account,
I'm always screwed.  "Screwed" meaning, after that it will never
successfully download transactions for that account.  I've posted about this
from time to time over the years (when I had more hair), and I've never
gotten a satisfactory explanation and honestly, at this point, I really
don't care.  However... when that does happen, there is no way to reverse
that designation (it seems to have no connection with the option in
"preferences" to remember the pin, eg if you accidently hit "remember pin",
and then go to look at the setting in preferences, the "remember pin" option
is not checked).  So what I end up doing is going to online banking setup,
REMOVING the setup for that account, and then redoing it...

I know, I know, you want to know what my question is...

I keep a careful backup of my files, including the supplementary files.  Can
someone specifically tell me, if I want to RESTORE an older online setup,
what folders and files do I need to restore, to just address the online
banking config setups???

Obviously (?) like an idiot I managed to hit that "remember pin" box earlier
today when dreaming about turkey, and had to go in and delete and re-create
my account settings.  Thus what prompted this question on turkey day.

Thanks...

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

randix
and merely restoring the file folder "aqbanking" does NOT do it, btw

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 12:30 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> and merely restoring the file folder "aqbanking" does NOT do it, btw

Preferences>Online Banking, near the bottom, uncheck "Remember the PIN in memory".

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

randix
Thanks, John, but guess you didn't have a chance to read my entire post.  I
can't uncheck the box for "remember the pin in memory" when it is *NOT*
checked to begin with!

Bottom line, tell me what folders and/or files I need to backup (and restore
as needed) that reflect my settings for aqbanking (and it's clearly not
merely the aqbanking folder).

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

John Ralls-2

> On Nov 23, 2017, at 7:44 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thanks, John, but guess you didn't have a chance to read my entire post.  I
> can't uncheck the box for "remember the pin in memory" when it is *NOT*
> checked to begin with!
>
> Bottom line, tell me what folders and/or files I need to backup (and restore
> as needed) that reflect my settings for aqbanking (and it's clearly not
> merely the aqbanking folder).

Since you’re on Windows I’d imagine that AQBanking would stash stuff in the registry just like GnuCash does. AQBanking itself is a separate project and I don’t think that anyone here knows much about its innards. They do have a user mailing list, http://lists.aqbanking.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aqbanking-user <http://lists.aqbanking.de/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/aqbanking-user>, but I think that it’s mostly in German.

That said I had a look in ~/.aqbanking/settings.conf and it seems to have all of the information one enters for users and accounts, plus a block for pins (empty in my case) and another for certificates.

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

randix
Ok, thanks for taking a look. Unfortunately, many times I've tried restoring
my backup copy of the entire aqbanking folder which includes the file you
referenced, and it "doesn't seem to do the job", so I end up having to
delete the bank account in question, and re-creating it which does take care
of the problem.

The problem is when I'm retrieving transactions for a particular account and
type in an incorrect PIN and accidently hit "remember pin", I am then
"officially" screwed, as there's no way to escape from my "decision
(without, apparently, deleting the account and re-creating it).  Doesn't
happen often, but my fingers manage to do it about once ever month or so...

Thanks anyway.

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

Christoph R
I think restarting gnucash helps here. It only remembers for that session.

HTH,
Christoph

> Am 24.11.2017 um 21:39 schrieb Steve <[hidden email]>:
>
> Ok, thanks for taking a look. Unfortunately, many times I've tried restoring
> my backup copy of the entire aqbanking folder which includes the file you
> referenced, and it "doesn't seem to do the job", so I end up having to
> delete the bank account in question, and re-creating it which does take care
> of the problem.
>
> The problem is when I'm retrieving transactions for a particular account and
> type in an incorrect PIN and accidently hit "remember pin", I am then
> "officially" screwed, as there's no way to escape from my "decision
> (without, apparently, deleting the account and re-creating it).  Doesn't
> happen often, but my fingers manage to do it about once ever month or so...
>
> Thanks anyway.

Re: Password screw-up "magic fix"?

randix
Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, no, restarting GnuCash does not
rectify the issue for me. So far the only way I've found to "fix" it, is
deleting the account in question in aqbanking, and then adding it back.
I've gotten pretty darn good at doing that :)  Fortunately, it's the Charles
Schwab Bank account, which is pretty easy to add.