Ordering Transactions on same date

Joseph Hesse
Hi,
I have a bunch of expense transaction on the same date. I would like to
reorder them. Can I do it?

Re: Ordering Transactions on same date

Macho Philipovich
   On 2016-02-11 04:07 AM, Joseph Hesse wrote:

     I have a bunch of expense transaction on the same date. I would like
     to reorder them. Can I do it?

   Hi Joseph,
   This question came up on this list two weeks ago. Here's the thread:
   [1]http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-January/063932.
   html
   I hope that helps,
   Macho

References

   1. http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-January/063932.html

RE: Ordering Transactions on same date

ChrisGood
> Message: 5

> Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2016 14:50:40 -0500
> From: Macho Philipovich <[hidden email]>
> To: Joseph Hesse <[hidden email]>, [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Ordering Transactions on same date
>
>    On 2016-02-11 04:07 AM, Joseph Hesse wrote:
>
>      I have a bunch of expense transaction on the same date. I would like
>      to reorder them. Can I do it?
>
>    Hi Joseph,
>    This question came up on this list two weeks ago. Here's the thread:
>    [1]http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-January/063932.
>    html
>    I hope that helps,
>    Macho
>
> References
>
>    1. http://lists.gnucash.org/pipermail/gnucash-user/2016-
> January/063932.html

Hi Joseph,

I was on holidays at the time of this recent thread and didn't respond.
If I recall correctly, I was surprised when it was said that using the Num
field didn't work as that should definitely work.
The register by default orders transactions by Date, then Num (Action).
This is the Action field on the transaction line, not split lines.

If you are already using the Num field for something, you can also prefix
your data in the Num field with a number and a space, and then the
transactions are sorted by the date and then the number before the space. To
me, this is much easier than duplicating transactions.

As it is only the action field on the transaction that is used, if you wish
to order registers for different accounts (say for transfers between bank
accounts), you may be able to use creative numbers in order the get the
required sequence in multiple registers.

Please see for more info:

http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/FAQ#Q:_How_do_I_order_transactions_in_a_registe
r_so_deposits_are_before_withdrawls.3F

Regards,
Chris Good

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment

RE: Ordering Transactions on same date

baneeishaque
Solved the problem in aneasier way...

Re: Ordering Transactions on same date

Maf. King
On Monday, 16 October 2017 16:18:49 BST baneeishaque wrote:
> Solved the problem in aneasier way...

OK. I'll bite.

What is the easier way?    Others in the future might benefit from your method?

BTW, happy to hear that you found a solution.
Cheers,
Maf.

Re: Ordering Transactions on same date

Adrien Monteleone
I too would be interested in the mystery solution.

Personally I use the 24hour time without a separator—e.g. 5:32pm becomes 1732.

To distinguish times from other numbers I use “T” at the end, thus: 1732T

However, this breaks if there are actual numbers to enter like from a check. I have so few of those, it isn’t an issue, mileage may vary for others.

Unfortunately, you can’t combine times with other numbers because any non-numeric character causes GC to stop sorting. So you can’t put hyphens or spaces to separate times from other types of transaction numbers.

It would be nice if an extra field for either ORDER or TIME were implemented just for this situation. It is especially annoying due to some GC features defaulting to placing their entries at the beginning of a day rather than the same order as a manually entered transaction. This will produce some negative or reverse balance conditions on occasion that never existed in real life.