Opening the right set of accounts

Manfred Jung
Hi All

Gnu Cash is a great help! Thanks to all those who mad it a reality.

I have more than one set of accounts. (Books of different entities
[Company, organisation, Private books]

Whenever I open GnuCash ist opens the last set of accounts, which is
usually the wrong one. So I have to open another set of accounts and go
through all the steps (Ctrl-o, navigate, close the loaded book, etc).

Is there a way to have an icon with each set of accounts and then just
open the right one?

I use GnuCash 2.2.4 on WinXP and Kubuntu 7.4

Regards
Manfred

Re: Opening the right set of accounts

Quoting Manfred Jung <[hidden email]>:

> Hi All
>
> Gnu Cash is a great help! Thanks to all those who mad it a reality.
>
> I have more than one set of accounts. (Books of different entities
> [Company, organisation, Private books]

How many sets do you have?

> Whenever I open GnuCash ist opens the last set of accounts, which is
> usually the wrong one. So I have to open another set of accounts and go
> through all the steps (Ctrl-o, navigate, close the loaded book, etc).

You're certainly in the exception case here.  For the majority of
users this is the correct behavior.

Do you have more that four sets of accounts?  You could just use
File -> <filename> for the four most recent files!

> Is there a way to have an icon with each set of accounts and then just
> open the right one?

Maybe?  "gnucash <filename>" certainly works from the commmandline.

> I use GnuCash 2.2.4 on WinXP and Kubuntu 7.4

Re: Opening the right set of accounts

Phil Longstaff
Manfred Jung wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Gnu Cash is a great help! Thanks to all those who mad it a reality.
>
> I have more than one set of accounts. (Books of different entities
> [Company, organisation, Private books]
>
> Whenever I open GnuCash ist opens the last set of accounts, which is
> usually the wrong one. So I have to open another set of accounts and go
> through all the steps (Ctrl-o, navigate, close the loaded book, etc).
>
> Is there a way to have an icon with each set of accounts and then just
> open the right one?
>
> I use GnuCash 2.2.4 on WinXP and Kubuntu 7.4

Gnucash accepts a file name on the command line.  I haven't tried this
on windows, but you should be able to create a shortcut for each set of
books, and where you specify the command, add the correct file name to
the end of the command line.

Phil