Opening balance correction.

Jim-159
        Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
correct without re-entering all the data?  Also, is there a way to
get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
completed?
        Respectfully,
        Jim

Re: Opening balance correction.

Andrew Sackville-West-2
On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:55:29PM -0600, jim wrote:
> Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
> using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
> steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
> The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
> opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
> registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
> gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
> opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
> correct without re-entering all the data?

HI Jim, I saw your thread in the irc logs -- if you are dealing iwht a
situation where you truly have just the wrong opening balance, then
just change that opening balance. It is a transaction like any
other. But make *sure* that's what it is. And (I've done it to) be
sure to put a note in the transaction so you know what you did...

> Also, is there a way to
> get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
> completed?

no, not that I'm aware of. THat report from QB, IIRC was a listing of
what you cleared and what remained uncleared. The first you probably
can't get, but the second you can get from a register report.

Oh, and welcome to GnuCash!

Re: Opening balance correction.

Ronal B Morse
Can you not just double click on the offending entry in the register and
change the opening balance?  Click on OK when prompted to "Change
Reconciled Split?"

Ron Morse

On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:55 -0600, jim wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
> using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
> steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
> The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
> opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
> registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
> gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
> opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
> correct without re-entering all the data?  Also, is there a way to
> get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
> completed?
> Respectfully,
> Jim

Re: Opening balance correction.

Jim-159
Thanks Andrew for the response.  I may have misled everyone by using the
term opening balance. The part that is incorrect is in the reconcile
screen and is the "starting balance". I have checked repeatedly all
entries for the year in question and all are correct. The difference
must have occurred sometime during this past year when I did a
reconciliation and unknowingly entered an incorrect starting balance.
This makes all subsequent reconciliations to not reconcile as far as I
have been able to determine. I suppose the only solution is to re-enter
all the transactions without reconciling any of the periods, then doing
a reconciliation at the end. Shouldn't take but about two, may three
days.:(

I do have another question. Is there a way to reverse the position of
the columns, debit and credit (increase and decrease)? If so, I haven't
found it yet. The reason? All printed registers and all software of
which I'm aware, have the debits listed first, credits listed second...
at least in my "neck of the woods".

Respectfully,
Jim

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 07:49 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2007 at 10:55:29PM -0600, jim wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
> > using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
> > steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
> > The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
> > opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
> > registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
> > gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
> > opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
> > correct without re-entering all the data?
>
> HI Jim, I saw your thread in the irc logs -- if you are dealing iwht a
> situation where you truly have just the wrong opening balance, then
> just change that opening balance. It is a transaction like any
> other. But make *sure* that's what it is. And (I've done it to) be
> sure to put a note in the transaction so you know what you did...
>

> > Also, is there a way to
> > get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
> > completed?
>
> no, not that I'm aware of. THat report from QB, IIRC was a listing of
> what you cleared and what remained uncleared. The first you probably
> can't get, but the second you can get from a register report.
>
> Oh, and welcome to GnuCash!

Re: Opening balance correction.

Jim-159
Ron, thank you for responding. I have replied to Andrew and you can
check the entry for information if you wish. The problem is not so
much an entry of a transaction but an error on entering an incorrect
beginning balance when reconciling.
Thanks again for the response. Glad to know help is available when I
need it.
Respectfully,
Jim

On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 08:58 -0700, Ron Morse wrote:

> Can you not just double click on the offending entry in the register and
> change the opening balance?  Click on OK when prompted to "Change
> Reconciled Split?"
>
> Ron Morse
>

> On Fri, 2007-12-14 at 22:55 -0600, jim wrote:
> > Hello, I'm trying to reconcile my new gnucash register.  I've been
> > using Quickbooks for several years so my learning curve is kind of
> > steep.  My problem is that the Quickbooks register reconciles correctly.
> > The gnucash register does not, because I made a mistake on entering the
> > opening balance.  All debits and all credits and all balances in both
> > registers are identical and have been checked many many times. The
> > gnucash reconciliation does not drop to a zero amount only because the
> > opening balance is incorrect. How can I change the opening balance to be
> > correct without re-entering all the data?  Also, is there a way to
> > get a report printed out of the current reconciliation when it is
> > completed?
> > Respectfully,
> > Jim

Re: Opening balance correction.

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Saturday 15 December 2007 01:01:43 pm jim wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for the response.  I may have misled everyone by using the
> term opening balance. The part that is incorrect is in the reconcile
> screen and is the "starting balance". I have checked repeatedly all
> entries for the year in question and all are correct. The difference
> must have occurred sometime during this past year when I did a
> reconciliation and unknowingly entered an incorrect starting balance.
> This makes all subsequent reconciliations to not reconcile as far as I
> have been able to determine. I suppose the only solution is to re-enter
> all the transactions without reconciling any of the periods, then doing
> a reconciliation at the end. Shouldn't take but about two, may three
> days.:(

Why not reconcile from what it says is the starting amount to what the
starting amount should be? Won't that bring you back in line when you next
reconcile?

HTH,
Tim
--
Fedora Core release 6 (Zod), Linux 2.6.22.14-72.fc6
KDE: 3.5.8-1.fc6 Fedora

On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 12:01:43PM -0600, jim wrote:

> Thanks Andrew for the response.  I may have misled everyone by using the
> term opening balance. The part that is incorrect is in the reconcile
> screen and is the "starting balance". I have checked repeatedly all
> entries for the year in question and all are correct. The difference
> must have occurred sometime during this past year when I did a
> reconciliation and unknowingly entered an incorrect starting balance.
> This makes all subsequent reconciliations to not reconcile as far as I
> have been able to determine. I suppose the only solution is to re-enter
> all the transactions without reconciling any of the periods, then doing
> a reconciliation at the end. Shouldn't take but about two, may three
> days.:(
If at some point that reconciled starting balance was correct and your
reconciliation was working correctly, and then suddenly the
reconcilied starting balance was wrong, the only explanation is that
you've changed something that was already reconciled. You'll have to
try again... going over everything with a fine toothed comb.

If it was *my* accounts, I would weigh the cost/benefit here. If I've
tweaked something by a few pennies to a few dollars, and I've spent a
reasonable amount of time trying to track it down, I'd be just as
likely to write it off. An entry to correct the balance (back to
Equity) is certainly reasonable. But it depends on your situation and
your stomach for that stuff. My time is worth too much to spend
hours/days trying to trakc down minor issues. but that's me.

> I do have another question. Is there a way to reverse the position of
> the columns, debit and credit (increase and decrease)? If so, I haven't
> found it yet. The reason? All printed registers and all software of
> which I'm aware, have the debits listed first, credits listed second...
> at least in my "neck of the woods".

My register displays this way by default.

Re: Opening balance correction.

Ronal B Morse
Also, look for transactions marked as reconciled in the GnuCash register
but really never cleared the bank. I've got one I found last week that
dates back to January (I guess I should reconcile more often).

Somehow a "Y" ended up where it should not have.  Took me a couple of
hours to find the error and I only run three or four transactions a
month in that particular account.

Ron Morse
On Sat, 2007-12-15 at 11:29 -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 15, 2007 at 12:01:43PM -0600, jim wrote:
> > Thanks Andrew for the response.  I may have misled everyone by using the
> > term opening balance. The part that is incorrect is in the reconcile
> > screen and is the "starting balance". I have checked repeatedly all
> > entries for the year in question and all are correct. The difference
> > must have occurred sometime during this past year when I did a
> > reconciliation and unknowingly entered an incorrect starting balance.
> > This makes all subsequent reconciliations to not reconcile as far as I
> > have been able to determine. I suppose the only solution is to re-enter
> > all the transactions without reconciling any of the periods, then doing
> > a reconciliation at the end. Shouldn't take but about two, may three
> > days.:(
>
> If at some point that reconciled starting balance was correct and your
> reconciliation was working correctly, and then suddenly the
> reconcilied starting balance was wrong, the only explanation is that
> you've changed something that was already reconciled. You'll have to
> try again... going over everything with a fine toothed comb.
>
> If it was *my* accounts, I would weigh the cost/benefit here. If I've
> tweaked something by a few pennies to a few dollars, and I've spent a
> reasonable amount of time trying to track it down, I'd be just as
> likely to write it off. An entry to correct the balance (back to
> Equity) is certainly reasonable. But it depends on your situation and
> your stomach for that stuff. My time is worth too much to spend
> hours/days trying to trakc down minor issues. but that's me.
>

> > I do have another question. Is there a way to reverse the position of
> > the columns, debit and credit (increase and decrease)? If so, I haven't
> > found it yet. The reason? All printed registers and all software of
> > which I'm aware, have the debits listed first, credits listed second...
> > at least in my "neck of the woods".
> >

> My register displays this way by default.

Re: Opening balance correction.

Jim-159
Thanks Andrew for the help.  I corrected the problem with a little more
detective work. I searched the "home" folder until I found an XAC file
with a zero beginning equity balance. Then, I modified the beginning
equity balance to the difference I was getting in the reconciliation
window and BEHOLD, it reconciled to zero difference with no changes on
any other transactions. NOW all I have to do is make sure I don't do it
again (make the same mistake) or at least remember how I corrected this.
I do appreciate so much the assistance you,Ron, and Tim have offered.
Perhaps I can help someone someday.
Respectfully,
Jim