Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Justin Smith
Hi,

Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price is
correct but an incorrect date is used.

This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.

ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=<mykey> gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
    symbol: NAB.AX               <=== required
      date: 02/15/2018           <=== recommended
  currency: AUD                  <=== required
      last: 29.2200              <=\
       nav:                      <=== one of these
     price:                      <=/
  timezone:                      <=== optional

Today's date is Feb 18. The price is actually the closing price for last
Fri 16 Feb.

Gnucash then overwrites the historical price for Feb 15, with the price for
Feb 16.

This happens for all my ASX stocks.

At the same time, Gnucash is also consistently returning the error "Unable
to retrieve quotes for these items: CURRENCY:USD". This sounds unrelated if
it wasn't for the fact that it started happening at the same time as the
above date issue...

I am running GnuCash 2.6.17 on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty (PPA). And Finance::Quote
1.48 (installed from git).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Ronal B Morse-2
I guess the first step is to verify that the system time and date is
correct and the operating system's time zone setting is correct.

RBM

On 02/17/2018 07:10 PM, Justin Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price is
> correct but an incorrect date is used.
>
> This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.
>
> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=<mykey> gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>      symbol: NAB.AX               <=== required
>        date: 02/15/2018           <=== recommended
>    currency: AUD                  <=== required
>        last: 29.2200              <=\
>         nav:                      <=== one of these
>       price:                      <=/
>    timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> Today's date is Feb 18. The price is actually the closing price for last
> Fri 16 Feb.
>
> Gnucash then overwrites the historical price for Feb 15, with the price for
> Feb 16.
>
> This happens for all my ASX stocks.
>
> At the same time, Gnucash is also consistently returning the error "Unable
> to retrieve quotes for these items: CURRENCY:USD". This sounds unrelated if
> it wasn't for the fact that it started happening at the same time as the
> above date issue...
>
> I am running GnuCash 2.6.17 on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty (PPA). And Finance::Quote
> 1.48 (installed from git).
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

John Ralls-2
And by “operating system’s time zone is correct” he means “in Australia” (or Asia somewhere), because if you’re in America then the closing price really is from the 15th.

> On Feb 17, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Ronal B Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I guess the first step is to verify that the system time and date is correct and the operating system's time zone setting is correct.
>
> RBM
>

> On 02/17/2018 07:10 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price is
>> correct but an incorrect date is used.
>>
>> This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.
>>
>> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=<mykey> gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
>> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>>     symbol: NAB.AX               <=== required
>>       date: 02/15/2018           <=== recommended
>>   currency: AUD                  <=== required
>>       last: 29.2200              <=\
>>        nav:                      <=== one of these
>>      price:                      <=/
>>   timezone:                      <=== optional
>>
>> Today's date is Feb 18. The price is actually the closing price for last
>> Fri 16 Feb.
>>
>> Gnucash then overwrites the historical price for Feb 15, with the price for
>> Feb 16.
>>
>> This happens for all my ASX stocks.
>>
>> At the same time, Gnucash is also consistently returning the error "Unable
>> to retrieve quotes for these items: CURRENCY:USD". This sounds unrelated if
>> it wasn't for the fact that it started happening at the same time as the
>> above date issue...
>>
>> I am running GnuCash 2.6.17 on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty (PPA). And Finance::Quote
>> 1.48 (installed from git).
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Les Elliott
I have the exact same problem with ASX stocks: overwriting previous
entries and incorrect dates.

Les

On 02/17/2018 08:10 PM, Justin Smith wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price is
> correct but an incorrect date is used.
>
> This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.
>
> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=<mykey> gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>      symbol: NAB.AX               <=== required
>        date: 02/15/2018           <=== recommended
>    currency: AUD                  <=== required
>        last: 29.2200              <=\
>         nav:                      <=== one of these
>       price:                      <=/
>    timezone:                      <=== optional
>
> Today's date is Feb 18. The price is actually the closing price for last
> Fri 16 Feb.
>
> Gnucash then overwrites the historical price for Feb 15, with the price for
> Feb 16.
>
> This happens for all my ASX stocks.
>
> At the same time, Gnucash is also consistently returning the error "Unable
> to retrieve quotes for these items: CURRENCY:USD". This sounds unrelated if
> it wasn't for the fact that it started happening at the same time as the
> above date issue...
>
> I am running GnuCash 2.6.17 on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty (PPA). And Finance::Quote
> 1.48 (installed from git).
>
> Any ideas?
>

> Thanks,
> Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Les Elliott
I had mine set for "local time", so I changed it to Australia/Sydney
time.  I will check results on Monday.

Thanks John.

Les

On 02/17/2018 10:03 PM, John Ralls wrote:

> And by “operating system’s time zone is correct” he means “in Australia” (or Asia somewhere), because if you’re in America then the closing price really is from the 15th.

>> On Feb 17, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Ronal B Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I guess the first step is to verify that the system time and date is correct and the operating system's time zone setting is correct.
>>
>> RBM
>>

>> On 02/17/2018 07:10 PM, Justin Smith wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price is
>>> correct but an incorrect date is used.
>>>
>>> This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.
>>>
>>> ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY=<mykey> gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
>>> Finance::Quote fields Gnucash uses:
>>>      symbol: NAB.AX               <=== required
>>>        date: 02/15/2018           <=== recommended
>>>    currency: AUD                  <=== required
>>>        last: 29.2200              <=\
>>>         nav:                      <=== one of these
>>>       price:                      <=/
>>>    timezone:                      <=== optional
>>>
>>> Today's date is Feb 18. The price is actually the closing price for last
>>> Fri 16 Feb.
>>>
>>> Gnucash then overwrites the historical price for Feb 15, with the price for
>>> Feb 16.
>>>
>>> This happens for all my ASX stocks.
>>>
>>> At the same time, Gnucash is also consistently returning the error "Unable
>>> to retrieve quotes for these items: CURRENCY:USD". This sounds unrelated if
>>> it wasn't for the fact that it started happening at the same time as the
>>> above date issue...
>>>
>>> I am running GnuCash 2.6.17 on Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty (PPA). And Finance::Quote
>>> 1.48 (installed from git).
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Justin Smith

> And by ?operating system?s time zone is correct? he means ?in Australia?
> (or Asia somewhere), because if you?re in America then the closing price
> really is from the 15th.
> > On Feb 17, 2018, at 7:32 PM, Ronal B Morse <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > I guess the first step is to verify that the system time and date is
> correct and the operating system's time zone setting is correct.
> >
> > RBM

Hi John, Ronal,

The PC clock, date, and timezone are set correctly (Western Australia:
+8:00). I haven't changed them since I set up the PC years ago.

But John's comment about "if you're in America" might be the reason... (but
the other way around). Yes I live in Australia but if "gnc-fq-dump
alphavantage" returns Friday's closing price (Sydney-time) with a date
based on the local time of the alphavantage server (e.g. San Francisco),
then it would return Thurs (Feb 15).

But if so, something has changed, because when I fetched the quotes last
Thurs, Feb 15, it worked fine.

I'll test again tomorrow (Mon).

Cheers,
Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

ln.mailinglists
Hi Justin,
I've been chasing this issue for a couple of weeks - I'm pretty sure
this is an ASX specific problem. Unfortunately, I think the problem
lies in the alpha vantage data source - we're going to need to chase
up with them to sort a fix, and may then need an update to
Finance::Quote as well. Alternatively, we need to fix ASX.pm (per my
Here's what I've found to date:
1) Finance::Quote pulls data from alphavantage using an address of the
form:
https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=TIME_SERIES_DAILY&symbol=TLS.AX&apikey=*********************
(You can test this directly with your own api key)
From the comments in the Perl alphavantage module, this data set
includes date and time data *if* the market is open. Otherwise it only
returns date data only. The perl module removes the time data and
returns the date data.
2) As you have observed (and as can be seen from the above link), the
date returned by alpha vantage for normal ASX stocks is *early* by 1
day - for example, the data set I ran on Sunday 19th returned correct
prices for Monday 12th through Friday 16th, but assigned these to
Sunday 11th through Thursday 15th.
3) I don't believe this can be corrected by timezone shifts - I
suspect that because the alpha vantage module does not return a time,
the perl will (reasonably) assume that the alphavantage data is
returned at mid-night (i.e. if alpha vantage returns 12/2/2018, then
perl/gnucash will treat this as 12/2/2018 00:00 for the purposes of
time zone calcs). If this is the case, it doesn't matter what time
zone shift you apply, it won't change the date.
I ran a set of test on this in gnucash, and couldn't make the date
change no matter what time zone I chose (I'm on East Coast Australian
time).
4) ETFs and possibly managed funds in general are updated later, and
just the at the moment these get the correct date. e.g.
https://www.alphavantage.co/query?function=TIME_SERIES_DAILY&symbol=VAS.AX&apikey=*********************
Further notes on this - a) from comments elsewhere on the net, it
looks as though ETFs/managed funds are only updated once per day, and
b) weird things happen to this data on the weekend - e.g. VAS has
correct price information for Friday 16th, but the next available data
point is 4th Feb. This anomaly gets corrected at the start of the week
(don't think this matters for Gnucash use).

5) I'm having the same problem with USD currency rates. Maybe a change
in the API or the constants for AUD/USD. I haven't looked into the
code for this yet.
6) All this may change when daylight saving changes here and/or in the
US - right at the moment, the ASX is closing spot on midnight East
Coast US time (alpha vantage reference time zone) - our data may
suddenly start working correctly when daylight saving changes. So
something else to watch for over the next few weeks.
At this stage, I have only spent time running the problem down - I
haven't had time to think about a fix.
Cheers,
Larry

Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2018 10:10:45 +0800
From: Justin Smith
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date;
currency exchange rate also not working
Gnucash is not updating stock quotes correctly for me. The stock price
is
correct but an incorrect date is used.
This is confirmed when testing using gnc-fq-dump. E.g.
ALPHAVANTAGE_API_KEY= gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX
> [...]

> b) weird things happen to this data on the weekend - e.g. VAS has
> correct price information for Friday 16th, but the next available data
> point is 4th Feb. This anomaly gets corrected at the start of the week
> (don't think this matters for Gnucash use).

5) I'm having the same problem with USD currency rates. Maybe a change

> in the API or the constants for AUD/USD. I haven't looked into the
> code for this yet.
> 6) All this may change when daylight saving changes here and/or in the
> US - right at the moment, the ASX is closing spot on midnight East
> Coast US time (alpha vantage reference time zone) - our data may
> suddenly start working correctly when daylight saving changes. So
> something else to watch for over the next few weeks.
> At this stage, I have only spent time running the problem down - I

Thanks Larry. That's great info. After reading your email I did two tests
today (same gnc-fq-dump alphavantage NAB.AX command):

  * Run at 8.00am 19 Feb Perth time (7.00pm 18 Feb New York). ASX open.
    Returns $29.36 with a date of 18 Feb. This price is actually spot on -
assuming a 20min delay on quotes, which most free services quoting the ASX
have. But of course the date is wrong.

  * Run at 6.30pm 19 Feb Perth time (5.30am 19 Feb New York). ASX closed.
    Returns $29.46 with a date of 18 Feb. This is the correct closing
price. But wrong date as expected.

It suggests that simply adding one to the date would fix the issue. But
you're right that we need to test the daylight saving changes. And no doubt
there will different dates in NY and Sydney...

Cheers,
Justin.

Re: Online quotes fetching latest stock price but incorrect date; currency exchange rate also not working

Les Elliott
Yet maybe another reason to end the absurd daylight saving time which
does not save anything.