Online Banking

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
12 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Online Banking

Justin F.Knotzke
   Hi,

   I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online banking
enabled..

   Importing QIF works like a charm..

   But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada and
Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That is to
say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions from inside
Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.

   Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?
   If so, what has to be done to download my new transactions directly from
my bank without having to download the QIF file ?

   Thanks

    J

--
Justin F. Knotzke
[hidden email]
http://www.shampoo.ca
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Derek Atkins
Hi,

This has been discussed a lot recently.  You need:

./configure --enable-ofx --enable-hbci

and then you need to configure the OFX DirectConnect Server for your
banks.

-derek

Quoting "Justin F. Knotzke" <[hidden email]>:

>   Hi,
>
>   I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online banking
> enabled..
>
>   Importing QIF works like a charm..
>
>   But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada and
> Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That is to
> say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions from inside
> Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
>
>   Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?
>   If so, what has to be done to download my new transactions directly from
> my bank without having to download the QIF file ?
>
>   Thanks
>
>    J
>
> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> [hidden email]
> http://www.shampoo.ca
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>



--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Justin F.Knotzke
On 9/20/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> This has been discussed a lot recently.  You need:
>
> /configure --enable-ofx --enable-hbci


   This I did..

and then you need to configure the OFX DirectConnect Server for your
> banks.


  Ok.. this wasn't done. Where can I find docs on this ?

  Thanks for the reply

  J



--
Justin F. Knotzke
[hidden email]
http://www.shampoo.ca
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Derek Atkins
Quoting "Justin F. Knotzke" <[hidden email]>:

> On 9/20/06, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> This has been discussed a lot recently.  You need:
>>
>> /configure --enable-ofx --enable-hbci
>
>
>   This I did..

Also make sure you're using libofx-0.8.2.  Nothing older than that
supports DirectConnect.

> and then you need to configure the OFX DirectConnect Server for your
>> banks.
>
>
>  Ok.. this wasn't done. Where can I find docs on this ?

DOCS?!  Hahahahaahahah!

Like I said, this has recently been discussed on this list (or perhaps
-devel).  I suggest reading the archives for the last week.  David R
is working on a Wiki Page on the subject; I don't know how far along he
is.

>  Thanks for the reply
>
>  J

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

David Reiser
In reply to this post by Justin F.Knotzke

On Sep 20, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>    Hi,
>
>    I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online  
> banking
> enabled..
>
>    Importing QIF works like a charm..
>
>    But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada  
> and
> Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That  
> is to
> say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions  
> from inside
> Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
>
>    Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?

As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have  
any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay  
transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking. The other major limitation is that  
AqBanking doesn't have investment/stock buy/sell transaction  
capabilities. Dividends work, but purchases and sales end up with  
incorrect information.

>    If so, what has to be done to download my new transactions  
> directly from
> my bank without having to download the QIF file ?

I'll see if I can get the page up tomorrow night.

You have one major advantage coming from Quicken. All the necessary  
connection information for your accounts exists in your OFXLOG files  
(in Quicken itself if you're on 2006, in some related directory for  
an earlier versions). So you won't have to go slogging through fidata  
or other massive sources to find the ofx server addresses and such  
(especially useful for checking and savings accounts where Quicken  
frequently uses Yodlee as a branding server, masking the data server  
address).

>
>    Thanks
>
>     J
>
> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> [hidden email]
> http://www.shampoo.ca
>
Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Hendrik Boom-2
On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:35:48PM -0400, David Reiser wrote:

>
> On Sep 20, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>
> >    Hi,
> >
> >    I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online  
> > banking
> > enabled..
> >
> >    Importing QIF works like a charm..
> >
> >    But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada  
> > and
> > Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That  
> > is to
> > say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions  
> > from inside
> > Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
> >
> >    Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?
>
> As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have  
> any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay  
> transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking.

This might be considered a serurity feature rather than a disadvantage
by some -- a protection against straying software.

-- hendrik
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Derek Atkins
[hidden email] writes:

>> As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have  
>> any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay  
>> transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking.
>
> This might be considered a serurity feature rather than a disadvantage
> by some -- a protection against straying software.

Perhaps, except HBCI provides payment capability, so we've
already opened that can of worms..

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

David Reiser
In reply to this post by Hendrik Boom-2

On Sep 21, 2006, at 6:46 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:35:48PM -0400, David Reiser wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 20, 2006, at 3:00 PM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:
>>
>>>    Hi,
>>>
>>>    I am running GnuCash 2.0.1 that I compiled myself with online
>>> banking
>>> enabled..
>>>
>>>    Importing QIF works like a charm..
>>>
>>>    But I have a question regarding 'online banking'. I am in Canada
>>> and
>>> Quicken supports all of the Canadian banks for online banking. That
>>> is to
>>> say, it can connect to my bank and download all new transactions
>>> from inside
>>> Quicken without using a browser and downloading the QIF file.
>>>
>>>    Is this what online banking in GnuCash attempts to do ?
>>
>> As Derek mentioned, yes. One limitation is that libofx doesn't have
>> any payment capabilities, so you can't initiate a bill-pay
>> transaction via GnuCash/AqBanking.
>
> This might be considered a serurity feature rather than a disadvantage
> by some -- a protection against straying software.
>
> -- hendrik

Possibly, but it's more likely to be  developers protecting  
themselves and users-- there are no (or only very well hidden) public  
test servers for ofx client testing. If you have lots of money, I'm  
sure Intuit would provide logins to their test servers. Otherwise, it  
is way too risky to even attempt developing that function on a live  
account.

Security by fear...

--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Justin F.Knotzke
In reply to this post by David Reiser
On 9/20/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:


You have one major advantage coming from Quicken. All the necessary
> connection information for your accounts exists in your OFXLOG files
> (in Quicken itself if you're on 2006, in some related directory for
> an earlier versions). So you won't have to go slogging through fidata
> or other massive sources to find the ofx server addresses and such
> (especially useful for checking and savings accounts where Quicken
> frequently uses Yodlee as a branding server, masking the data server
> address).


    Hi,

   I have found the OFXLOG file and it's encrypted.. Any idea on how to
decrypt it ?

   J



--
Justin F. Knotzke
[hidden email]
http://www.shampoo.ca
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

David Reiser

On Sep 22, 2006, at 6:32 AM, Justin F. Knotzke wrote:

>
>
> On 9/20/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
>
> You have one major advantage coming from Quicken. All the necessary
> connection information for your accounts exists in your OFXLOG files
> (in Quicken itself if you're on 2006, in some related directory for
> an earlier versions). So you won't have to go slogging through fidata
> or other massive sources to find the ofx server addresses and such
> (especially useful for checking and savings accounts where Quicken
> frequently uses Yodlee as a branding server, masking the data server
> address).
>
>     Hi,
>
>    I have found the OFXLOG file and it's encrypted.. Any idea on  
> how to decrypt it ?
>
>    J

In Quicken 2004 and newer (Windows) go into the Quicken application,  
Help menu bar > Product and Customer Support > click on OFX log, you  
can save it as text from there if you wish.

Other versions, see http://fi.intuit.com/support/logfileslocation.cfm
>
>
> --
> Justin F. Knotzke
> [hidden email]
> http://www.shampoo.ca

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

Dawning Sky
On 9/22/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>
> In Quicken 2004 and newer (Windows) go into the Quicken application,
> Help menu bar > Product and Customer Support > click on OFX log, you
> can save it as text from there if you wish.
>
> Other versions, see http://fi.intuit.com/support/logfileslocation.cfm
> >

Can anyone share some working configuration for Bank of America
California and ING Direct USA?  In the fidata, BofA is listed as using
Yodlee, and no data is listed for ING.  And my Quicken is way too old
(2002) and doesn't support online banking any more.  The minimum now
is 2004 I think.

On another thought, maybe we can create a wiki page to share these
info.  Or is it better to keep this semi-private?

DS
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Online Banking

David Reiser

On Sep 22, 2006, at 12:25 PM, Dawning Sky wrote:

> On 9/22/06, David Reiser <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>
>> In Quicken 2004 and newer (Windows) go into the Quicken application,
>> Help menu bar > Product and Customer Support > click on OFX log, you
>> can save it as text from there if you wish.
>>
>> Other versions, see http://fi.intuit.com/support/logfileslocation.cfm
>> >
>
> Can anyone share some working configuration for Bank of America
> California and ING Direct USA?  In the fidata, BofA is listed as using
> Yodlee, and no data is listed for ING.  And my Quicken is way too old
> (2002) and doesn't support online banking any more.  The minimum now
> is 2004 I think.

Hmm. My daughter has a BofA account. I'll see what I can do.

On ING Direct, I don't think it can be done at the moment. Intuit's  
web site (http://web.intuit.com/fisearchadvanced) indicates that ING  
only has Web Connect and not Direct Connect.

Also, ING's website talks about their security being customer number,  
PIN, and something else you know. I don't think the OFX spec has any  
provision for 3 factor credentials.

Regarding Quicken versions, I got my Quicken 2006 basic (Windows)  
free for buying Turbo Tax basic last winter (at Staples).  Maybe  
they'll do it again and you can find a friend that uses TurboTax but  
doesn't need Quicken.

>
> On another thought, maybe we can create a wiki page to share these
> info.  Or is it better to keep this semi-private?

Heck, the GnuCash wiki is semi-private...

I do sometimes get paranoid about the banks shutting us down, but  
then again they'd have to pay a bundle to actually replace what they  
have. Besides, it is our data -- we're not trying to break in. (But  
logic frequently takes a back seat in American businesses.)

>
> DS

Dave
--
David Reiser
[hidden email]

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.