Old Files

Richard Barmann-2
I have a 285 old files in my business gnucash directory. I have to
search for the latest file  when I go into my Gnucash  program. I close
and then quit when I leave. What can I delete and how can I set it to
open the latest file when I go into the program.
Thanks in advance.
Dick

Re: Old Files

Colin Law
On 7 February 2016 at 14:05, Richard Barmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I have a 285 old files in my business gnucash directory. I have to search
> for the latest file  when I go into my Gnucash  program. I close and then
> quit when I leave. What can I delete and how can I set it to open the latest
> file when I go into the program.

When you open gnucash it should automatically re-open the last used
file.  Even if it doesn't then if you click on File hen you should see
recently used files down the bottom of the menu.

On the files, however, you mean the log and backup files (with the
long number timestamp string in the name)?  If so then if you go to
Edit > Preferences > General you can tell it how long to keep
log/backup files.  Then old ones will be automatically deleted.

If it is not the log and backup files then tell us the names of some
of them so we know what you are talking about.

Colin

Re: Old Files

Dean Gibson-3
On 2016-02-07 06:37, Colin Law wrote:
> ..
>
> On the files, however, you mean the log and backup files (with the long number timestamp string in the name)?  If so then if you go to Edit > Preferences > General you can tell it how long to keep log/backup files.  Then old ones will be automatically deleted.

I've been a GnuCash user for several years, through several versions
(including the current), and I have that setting set at 30 days (and
yes, "For:" is selected).  GnuCash has never deleted a single old
.gnucash file or .log file.  I generally delete them after about a year
(ie, right after I do my taxes).  It's annoying but liveable. Windows 7,
but the files are on a Linux/Samba network file server.

While I'm on the subject:  I understand that most people just deal with
one file, but I have two (one business, one personal).  It's a real
annoyance that I have to sit through about of minute of loading (yes, 15
years of data) one file, when it's the other file I want. So, I've gone
to clicking on the file I want, to start up GnuCash. Having the "auto
open last file" feature be a settable option, would be nice.

Finally, if I move the data file to another location and then open the
data file, the filename appears twice in the "recent" list.  Of course,
the paths are different, but they are not displayed, and you can't
delete the old path within GnuCash.  A short visit to the Windows
registry fixes it.

Once a week or every 2 weeks (I have it calendared to remind me), I manually run a command I created using the forfiles program, which automatically deletes any file in my designated gnucash directory more than X days old.  Simple, works well.  Used it under Windows 7, now using it under Windows 10.  I use the forfiles command options to do more than just delete old files, it also creates a separate backup which is automatically synced in my google drive.

Re: Old Files

Richard Barmann-2

On 02/07/2016 09:37 AM, Colin Law wrote:

> On 7 February 2016 at 14:05, Richard Barmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I have a 285 old files in my business gnucash directory. I have to search
>> for the latest file  when I go into my Gnucash  program. I close and then
>> quit when I leave. What can I delete and how can I set it to open the latest
>> file when I go into the program.
> When you open gnucash it should automatically re-open the last used
> file.  Even if it doesn't then if you click on File hen you should see
> recently used files down the bottom of the menu.
>
> On the files, however, you mean the log and backup files (with the
> long number timestamp string in the name)?  If so then if you go to
> Edit > Preferences > General you can tell it how long to keep
> log/backup files.  Then old ones will be automatically deleted.
>
> If it is not the log and backup files then tell us the names of some
> of them so we know what you are talking about.
>
> Colin
I went to Preference /general and it was set to 30 days. I moved it down
to 15 days but I still have .log files from last year. I also have the
.gnucash  files .
When I close Gnucash I save/close/quit.
Dick
Liz

Re: Old Files

Liz
On Sun, 7 Feb 2016 13:50:38 -0500
Richard Barmann <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I went to Preference /general and it was set to 30 days. I moved it
> down to 15 days but I still have .log files from last year. I also
> have the .gnucash  files .
> When I close Gnucash I save/close/quit.
> Dick

I'm sure that this has been a problem in the past for me. Checking now
I have only files from 2016, so 2.6.7 Debian Linux is properly removing
the old files on exit. I recall that I opened all four files I keep and
closed each one individually to ensure I triggered the removal.

Liz