OS X and ofx

Brian Rose-2
Hi all,
I am a longtime user of GnuCash on Linux and I
googled and searched so
I apologize if the answer to my question exists
online. I recently decided to use
GnuCash on my OS X system instead of Linux and I
have installed GnuCash 1.8.11 and the
ofx package via Fink. However, when I try to
import transactions from a qfx file, it displays
an empty window as if there are no transactions to
import even though the same qfx
file works as expected on Linux. Is this a known
bug or am I missing something? I can
provide whatever extra info necessary to resolve
this problem.

Sincerely,
Brian
--
Contagious Design!
web . design . photo

Brian Rose .  web programmer
(604)-630-2426 . brianATcontagiousdesignDOTnet

Re: OS X and ofx

David Reiser

On Oct 1, 2005, at 2:35 PM, Brian Rose wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a longtime user of GnuCash on Linux and I googled and searched so
> I apologize if the answer to my question exists online. I recently
> decided to use
> GnuCash on my OS X system instead of Linux and I have installed
> GnuCash 1.8.11 and the
> ofx package via Fink. However, when I try to import transactions
> from a qfx file, it displays
> an empty window as if there are no transactions to import even
> though the same qfx
> file works as expected on Linux. Is this a known bug or am I
> missing something? I can
> provide whatever extra info necessary to resolve this problem.

In Fink, there's libofx (version 0.6.6) and libofx1 (version 0.7.0).
I think you need libofx1 for the current version of gnucash.

I haven't had problems importing ofx/qfx files on my Mac, but I have
to admit I'm not meticulous at documenting when I've updated certain
files -- I can't remember if you need the general ofx files, or not,
if you install gnucash-ofx.

Dave

Re: OS X and ofx

S H-2
Hi Brian,

I have been having the same problem on my Mac and I
think I've found the issue.

I have OS X Tiger and installed gnucash with Fink
(binaries initially).  When I tried to import qfx/ofx
then I got a blank import window despite having info
in my qfx file.

I discovered in my xterm window that the program was
looking for two *.dtd files but couldn't find them so
exited that part of the program.

I rebuilt the binaries for libofx1 from the source but
that didn't help. (This was based on a single
newsgroup question of the same nature suggesting that
rebulding would help).  I finally found that the dtd
files in the libofx1 tar file are placed in the
/usr/share/libofx/dtd directory.  Since Mac OS X
places the X11 software in the /sw directory
structure, I proceeded to create a
/usr/share/libofx/dtd directory and place the required
files from the source archive.

Things seem to work although I haven't completely
looked at all of the functionality.

Good luck.

Stanley

--- Brian Rose <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I am a longtime user of GnuCash on Linux and I
> googled and searched so
> I apologize if the answer to my question exists
> online. I recently decided to use
> GnuCash on my OS X system instead of Linux and I
> have installed GnuCash 1.8.11 and the
> ofx package via Fink. However, when I try to
> import transactions from a qfx file, it displays
> an empty window as if there are no transactions to
> import even though the same qfx
> file works as expected on Linux. Is this a known
> bug or am I missing something? I can
> provide whatever extra info necessary to resolve
> this problem.
>
> Sincerely,
> Brian
> --
> Contagious Design!
> web . design . photo
>
> Brian Rose .  web programmer
> (604)-630-2426 . brianATcontagiousdesignDOTnet

Re: OS X and ofx

Brian Rose-2
Thank-you all for a quick and informative
response. That was so helpful. I checked
my fink installed packages and I had gnucash,
gnucash-ofx, but not libofx1. I installed
libofx1 and it all seems fine--at least it shows
transactions I can import.

Thank-you to all of the respondents, you have been
most helpful.
Brian