Not displaying hidden accounts...

randix
Probably my imagination or the fact I'm getting (uh hum) slightly older, but... I seem to recall that there was a way if you hide an account or an account and all of its sub-accounts, that you could then opt not to see that hidden account elsewhere in GnuCash (eg like in picking an account for entry of a new transaction.  I have hidden an expense account and all of its sub-accounts, but all of those hidden accounts still come up on the list when I go to select an account for a new transaction, etc.

Using Windows 10, GnuCash 2.6.13

Re: Not displaying hidden accounts...

Colin Law
On 24 July 2016 at 14:24, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Probably my imagination or the fact I'm getting (uh hum) slightly older,
> but... I seem to recall that there was a way if you hide an account or an
> account and all of its sub-accounts, that you could then opt not to see that
> hidden account elsewhere in GnuCash (eg like in picking an account for entry
> of a new transaction.  I have hidden an expense account and all of its
> sub-accounts, but all of those hidden accounts still come up on the list
> when I go to select an account for a new transaction, etc.

I believe for that you also have to mark it as a Placeholder acct
(possibly individually, not sure).

Colin

Re: Not displaying hidden accounts...

randix
Ok, so after playing with your suggestion, here is what I found...

I had a particular expense account (that originally was a "placeholder"), with about 16 sub-accounts.  I wanted to (a) no longer have that account and all of its sub-accounts appear on my account list; and (b) not have the account or sub-accounts show up when making a selection elsewhere in Gnucash from the account list.

I now find that:

1. If I make the account that was a placeholder, also "hidden", that will indeed effectively remove all those accounts from showing up on the account list.

2. However, to make the various sub-accounts not appear on the account list elsewhere in GnuCash, I had to go into EACH sub-account and click the placeholder button.  Slight pain in the butt.

Would make more sense when choosing to hide a particular account (with or without sub-accounts), that you also were given the choice to keep that account and any sub-accounts from appearing on any account list elsewhere in Gnucash, so that you don't have to go into EVERY sub-account.

Thanks, Colin, for directing me in the right direction...  Steve

Re: Not displaying hidden accounts...

John Ralls-2

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 3:55 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> *Would make more sense when choosing to hide a particular account (with or
> without sub-accounts), that you also were given the choice to keep that
> account and any sub-accounts from appearing on any account list elsewhere in
> Gnucash, so that you don't have to go into EVERY sub-account.*

Actually it wouldn't. There's another use-case where you want the parent account to display on the Accounts page but you want all of the transactions to go to sub-accounts. Marking the parent as a placeholder prevents accidents.

For reasons I can’t fathom, I did not receive John’s reply to this message, in which John said in reference to Steve’s suggestion:

"Actually it wouldn't. There's another use-case where you want the parent account to display on the Accounts page but you want all of the transactions to go to sub-accounts. Marking the parent as a placeholder prevents accidents.”

John,

I think Steve’s issue relates more to bug 397135—i.e., he does not wish to see hidden subaccounts in the combo box, or, more specifically, he’d rather not have to set each account to Hidden & Placeholder individually. Perhaps the way forward would be to create a method for changing the setting for all child accounts, if desired.

David