Newbie questions on investments

Henry Bremridge
Question: On a share portfolio is there any way of calculating the
return on investment of an account?

(It would be nice to calculate the rate of return on a share but to me
what is more important would be being able to calculate the annual
return - or loss - on all investments in an account. Or for the whole
portfolio : ie

+   Value of shares / cash + all dividends received at time = Now
-   Value of shares / cash at time = 0
/   Value of shares / cash at time = 0

---

I have just installed gnucash and have copied an investment portfolio
into it, and I am slowly learning how it operates; but I cannot see how
to calculate returns on investment.

Many thanks

--
Henry