New mailing-list search: call for testers, translators, and html beauticians

New mailing-list search: call for testers, translators, and html beauticians

I've been playing with Namazu on the gnucash listserver
to provide improved searching of the mailing list archives.  I've
got a preliminary service up and running on the server at:

   https://lists.gnucash.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi

Please test it and let me know what you think.

Note:  It's ugly.  Very ugly.  I'd love to have some help making it
prettier.  Also, it can (should) be translated.  If you supply ?lang=de
to the cgi URL it'll give you a german interface, but that wont work
right because it's not configured with our set of indices.

The templates are all in SVN [0], so please feel free to send me patches
to apply.  The pages (and indices) are all rebuilt every hour, so
that's the granularity of recent mail being searched.

Enjoy!

-derek

[0] http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/mail-search/nmz/templates

Re: New mailing-list search: call for testers, translators, and html beauticians

Aaron Larson-3

DA> I've been playing with Namazu on the gnucash listserver to provide
DA> improved searching of the mailing list archives.  I've got a
DA> preliminary service up and running on the server at:

DA>    https://lists.gnucash.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi

It looks pretty good to me.  I've used swish-e as a search engine for
mailman based searches, and its not nearly as fully featured as the
search interface for namazu.  Did it take long to set up?  Was there
more customization beyond
http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/mail-search/nmz/?

When I first browsed the namazu docs it looked like the default was to
search all the subindicies if none were selected, but that does not
appear to be the case.  If you don't select a list the search fails
(no hits) and the diagnostic message in that case "ain't great":

    No document matching your query.

Perhaps it would be advisable to group the "non language" mailing
lists first, and default them to being checked.  Here is a patch that
does that, and also includes some javascript to "[un]select all".

I'm neither a javascript nor web wizard, so buyer beware.  I have
tested it with IE6, firefox 1.5, and konqueror 3.5, and it "works for
me".

NMZ.head-patch (3K) Download Attachment

Re: New mailing-list search: call for testers, translators, and html beauticians

Tor Harald Thorland
Derek Atkins wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've been playing with Namazu on the gnucash listserver
>to provide improved searching of the mailing list archives.  I've
>got a preliminary service up and running on the server at:
>
>   https://lists.gnucash.org/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi
>
>Please test it and let me know what you think.
>
>Note:  It's ugly.  Very ugly.  I'd love to have some help making it
>prettier.  Also, it can (should) be translated.  If you supply ?lang=de
>to the cgi URL it'll give you a german interface, but that wont work
>right because it's not configured with our set of indices.
>
>The templates are all in SVN [0], so please feel free to send me patches
>to apply.  The pages (and indices) are all rebuilt every hour, so
>that's the granularity of recent mail being searched.
>
>Enjoy!
>
>-derek
>
>[0] http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/mail-search/nmz/templates

Hi,

Please find attached Norwegian Bokmaal translation of it. I guess it
will be on of the less used ones, but here it is anyway.
I'll try to do as much as possible to get it more used in Norway...
(Have only located 1 norwegian user) :-(

THT

mail-archive_nb.tar.gz (5K) Download Attachment

Re: New mailing-list search: call for testers, translators, and html beauticians

Derek Atkins
Tor Harald Thorland <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> Please find attached Norwegian Bokmaal translation of it. I guess it
> will be on of the less used ones, but here it is anyway.
> I'll try to do as much as possible to get it more used in Norway...
> (Have only located 1 norwegian user) :-(

Thanks.  I've finally applied this.  :)
Sorry for the delay...

Aaron Larson <[hidden email]> writes:

> search interface for namazu.  Did it take long to set up?  Was there
> more customization beyond
> http://svn.gnucash.org/repo/mail-search/nmz/?

No, it didn't take long to setup, but it'll take longer to deal
with integrating the gnucash look-and-feel.

> Perhaps it would be advisable to group the "non language" mailing
> lists first, and default them to being checked.  Here is a patch that
> does that, and also includes some javascript to "[un]select all".

I've done this.  I've also changed the default to turn on
gnucash-user and gnucash-devel by default.  I'm not using
javascript.