New logo stuff

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
So here's my newest stuff with my opinion.

I like the original simplicity, and the check "watermark", so I took out
the pen from the check image and put it back in.  I think it keeps the
overall appearance simple, clean and meaningful.

I took out the money symbols and the wavy line / stock tape with them.
I figured, along the lines of the original argument, if we just us
one/some symbols, somebody's left out.  Also, I just think they looked
silly.  And I couldn't figure out how to make the tape look right
(sorry).  Besides, I think it did make it too crowded.

I left the wavy line at the top because I just liked it better than
anything else.  And I think a lot of others did too.  So if you really
don't like it (or do), make sure to speak up again.  But I think it
looks nice, and I think it looks nice in the logo and banner also.

As for the GNU money idea, I liked it so I put a lot of effort into a
bill and redesign of the credit card and coins.  I've posted large
versions of them so you can see them up close.  I think they turned out
well.  And again, it makes more sense to have generic things in the
splash than specific nationalities' mints, so there you have it.

Try the splash9sm.png in your gnucash dir as gnucash_splash.

That's what I have to say.  Give me your feedback.

http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9sm.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon2.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner3.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/gnu_cash.png

JF

Re: New logo stuff

Derek Atkins
Quoting Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]>:

[snip]
> That's what I have to say.  Give me your feedback.
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9sm.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner3.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/gnu_cash.png

I really like the splash screen.  Honestly I'd like to see it a little
bigger than the splash9sm (but smaller than the splash9)..  Maybe make
the small one about 50% bigger?  E.g. 1.5*width x 1.5*height?  But the
look and feel I like a lot!

Indeed, I like everything EXCEPT banner3.  I find the squiggly line too
pronounced.  Maybe it's just a constrast thing.  in the splash screen the
background is darker, so the squigly line isn't as bold, whereas in the
banner the background is white is the squigly is much stronger.  I find
the stronger squigly in banner3 to be distracting.

THANKS!

> JF

Re: New logo stuff

Mike Alexander
--On May 22, 2006 12:06:08 PM -0500 "Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> That's what I have to say.  Give me your feedback.
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9sm.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner3.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/gnu_cash.png

I like this version.  They are distinctive and attractive.  I really
don't have a strong opinion about the squiggly line.  I like it ok but
if people don't like it and want to take it out I won't be upset.

Where can I download exchange rates for the Bank of Gnu?

--
Mike Alexander           [hidden email]
Ann Arbor, MI            PGP key ID: BEA343A6

Re: New logo stuff

Dan Widyono

Looks really nice.  1157.05 is still preceded by a dollar sign.

Dan W.

Re: New logo stuff

Tim Wunder (Lists)
On Monday 22 May 2006 1:06 pm, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> So here's my newest stuff with my opinion.
<snip>

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9sm.png
Slightly small, but I like it

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9.png
Too big. And you can see "2.0" on the Gnu bank card. I know mention was made
previously of eliminating any reference to 2.0.

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner3.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/gnu_cash.png

Overall, I like them.

Tim

Re: New logo stuff

Geert Janssens
On Monday 22 May 2006 19:06, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9sm.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/icon2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner3.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/gnu_cash.png

I like most of what I see too.

The money and credit card are well done. My only remark is that they are very
two-dimensional ("flat") while the screenshot next to it suggests a three
dimensional context.

Of course paper money has (almost) no thickness, but coins do. Maybe you could
add subtle shadows to the money items to slightly accentuate the fact that
they are on top each other.

Nice work.

Geert

> JF

New logo stuff update

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
Here are the news:

http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png

Deleted the "2.0" and added "International" on the card (and in all the
other graphics with the card), added drop shadows, deleted the dollar
sign from the adding machine "printout".

http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png

Lightened the wavy line, used the new card design.

JF

Re: New logo stuff update

Matt Townsend-2
I'm joining this conversation quite late, but a few cents from me:

I like the medium splash size, and I think the cash design is brilliant.  The
coins do seem flat, to me, perhaps because they have no elements suggesting
shine.  Also, the shadow on the screenshot looks quite deep--much deeper than
other elements.  The background might be a little too busy--maybe the
gradient should be more subtle? (Windows 95 InstallShield installations?)

The icon looks good, but I'm not sure how it would look at 16 pixel size (as I
prefer).  I'm sure it'd look great at 64, though.

The only thing that really bothers me about any of the design are the fonts.
I'm seeing a whole lot of sans-serif fonts, and they all look like MS Arial.
This may be the image you're trying to convey, but the "GnuCash" portion of
the logo seems to beg for more.  I just got a second opinion, and I'm told
the fonts make it look "like it's from the mid-90's."  Simple fonts are, of
course, a GNU trait.

MT

Re: New logo stuff update

Herbert Thoma-2
Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> Here are the news:
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png
>
> Deleted the "2.0" and added "International" on the card (and in all the
> other graphics with the card), added drop shadows, deleted the dollar
> sign from the adding machine "printout".

I like this. I would love to see a GNU on real EURO coins ;-).

One detail that seems a little odd to me is the perspective of the
window. Shouldn't the right edge, which is farer away trom the
viewer, be shorter than the left edge? I.e. use central perspective
instead of parallel perspective (I'm not sure if I use the correct
terms)

  Herbert.

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png
>
> Lightened the wavy line, used the new card design.
>
> JF

Herbert Thoma
Group Manager Video
Multimedia Realtime Systems Department
Fraunhofer IIS
Am Wolfsmantel 33, 91058 Erlangen, Germany
Phone: +49-9131-776-323
Fax:   +49-9131-776-399
email: [hidden email]
www: http://www.iis.fhg.de/

Re: New logo stuff update

Chris-329
Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> Here are the news:
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png

This is the best version so far.
As Herbert mentioned the chart lacks of perspective the gives it a
slightly unnatural feel.
The chart looks slightly larger in this version which improves the
balance with the notes however I think the notes could be slightly smaller.
Regards,
Chris Leacg

Re: New logo stuff update

Aaron Larson-3

JF> Here are the news:
JF> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png

FWIW, Its looking good to me also.  I concur with the graph
perspective and coin comments.  Something still doesn't quite "click"
with the coins.  Shine, color, depth, lack of numbers, something.  I'm
also not sure that implying GNU is printing currency is quite the
right message.  Perhaps if you expand the graph to get perspective,
and shrink the currency (or make it receed behind the graph)?  I
certainly understand the intent, and its just a nit.

There is lots of text on the "images".  Does this require
internationalization?

Re: New logo stuff update

Beth Leonard
On Mon, May 22, 2006 at 05:17:59PM -0400, Matt Townsend wrote:
> The only thing that really bothers me about any of the design are the fonts.

My first comment is "Wow!"  It looks like a professional
has designed this splash screen.

For a nit-picky detail, I know the screen shot on the left is
a screen shot, but for the splash screen, the fonts and
lines in it should be anti-aliased.

Also, at the splash9med.png size, the background of the cash fades
into a single off-white color for me, and the fine detail is lost.
It leaves it looking like it's just a plain boring color, instead
of the wonderful detail that it is.

I'm not sure how to fix it, but that's the effect I'm seeing.

I love the cash and the coins.

Great Job and Thank you!
--Beth

Re: New logo stuff update

Manfred Usselmann
Very good, I like it.

Why 2 GNU on the bank note? I can only see one gnu? ;-)

Manfred

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]> schrieb am
Mon, 22 May 2006 15:40:03 -0500:

> Here are the news:
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png
>
> Deleted the "2.0" and added "International" on the card (and in all
> the other graphics with the card), added drop shadows, deleted the
> dollar sign from the adding machine "printout".
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png
>
> Lightened the wavy line, used the new card design.
>
> JF

Re: New logo stuff update

Adrian Simmons-2
Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art wrote:
> added drop shadows
I'm glad you picked up the money idea, you've done a fantastic job with it!
The one small suggestion I have is to make the drop shadows proportional,
the bank notes are thinner than coins but have the same size shadow, I think
they need a more subtle one.

My original comments about clutter still stand, but then I'm very much a
less is more type of person when it comes to visual design.

On the splash I'd still like to see:
A flat color background, or possibly a monochromatic gradient.
The swoosh removed from the header area.

I would echo the comments about the screenshot, the perspective and
generally the way it looks. My suggestion would be to remove the screenshot
and make the money bigger since you've done such a brilliant job with them =D
Alternatively perhaps removing the window and ledger parts of the screen
shot and just having a report page would work nicely - after all it's a
splash screen, people will be seeing the actual Gnucash window in a few
seconds anyway :)

I'd also echo Matt's comments (again repeating my earlier comments) about
the logo typeface. I think it needs more impact, bolder certainly, and
perhaps using small caps instead of lowercase for the nu and ash if you see
what I mean. When it comes to money I like to see something 'solid' and
'trustworthy'. The current typeface looks to flimsy.

> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png
Here I like the swoosh, it adds energy - again, the typeface is too flimsy.
As for the card and money - I don't think you can get away with just
shrinking them, at least in the case of the card, a more stylized cartoonish
version might work better at that size - at least make the Gnu's face white
or something so we can see it.

Lastly, don't forget that you can't please everybody, and don't try to use
everyone's diametrically opposed idea's - got to go with you're own vision
in the end. :)
I'm also tempted to ask if you'd release the documents you're using so
myself and others could play too, but I don't really have time and I don't
want to steal your thunder...

--
Adrian Simmons (aka adrinux) <http://adrinux.perlucida.com>
e-mail <mailto:[hidden email]>

Re: New logo stuff update

Aaron Larson <[hidden email]> writes:

> There is lots of text on the "images".  Does this require
> internationalization?

No.  Previous versions weren't internationalized, either.  :)

Re: New logo stuff update

FYI, I like the changes you've made.

-derek

Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art <[hidden email]> writes:

> Here are the news:
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png
>
> Deleted the "2.0" and added "International" on the card (and in all the
> other graphics with the card), added drop shadows, deleted the dollar
> sign from the adding machine "printout".
>
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/logo2.png
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/banner4.png
>
> Lightened the wavy line, used the new card design.
>
> JF

Re: New logo stuff update

Josh Sled
On Mon, 2006-05-22 at 15:40 -0500, Joshua Facemyer / Impressus Art
wrote:
> http://www.impressusart.com/download/splash9med.png

This is awesome.  I too would like to see the screenshot in perspective,
but I think it's fine as-is, too.   The coins (and their shading), card
and especially the Two Gnu bills are totally great.

--
...jsled
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`