Need custom report?

Oliver64
Dear users,
I am using gnucash to keep track of my private expenses and somehow don't find the suitable report for me:

I would need some kind of profit  & loss report which includes all transfers to the passiva accounts (where my debts are located), because this is money I "spend" from my bank account - even though it stays "my money".
Perfect would be a report stating for each month:
-starting balance of all selected accounts
- income and expense on these accounts
- ending balance of all selected accounts

Has anyone already written a report like this or could help me (schemedummy!) to do so?

Thansk Oliver

Re: Need custom report?

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/15/2015 1:49 AM, Oliver64 wrote:

> Dear users,
> I am using gnucash to keep track of my private expenses and somehow don't
> find the suitable report for me:
>
> I would need some kind of profit  & loss report which includes all transfers
> to the passiva accounts (where my debts are located), because this is money
> I "spend" from my bank account - even though it stays "my money".
> Perfect would be a report stating for each month:
> -starting balance of all selected accounts
> - income and expense on these accounts
> - ending balance of all selected accounts
>
> Has anyone already written a report like this or could help me
> (schemedummy!) to do so?
>
> Thansk Oliver

Your problem in not finding a suitable report could be from looking in
the wrong place. This would NOT be a "profit and loss" sort of report.
Check out the possibilities of the "cash flow" reports that gnucash offers.

Cash flow and profit and loss very different kettle of fish, measure
different things. An entity could be very profitable but run into cash
flow problems (not enough on hand at some point to meet an immediate
need) or on the other hand, have plenty of ready cash but bleeding
losses like crazy.

Michael

Re: Need custom report?

Oliver64
Thanks for your quick answer!
Maybe I am too picky, but what I do not like about the CashFlow is that

1) I cannot select the ExpenseAccounts but only the BankAccounts
2) The report does not show subtotals of the parent accounts
3) Expense Accounts appear in the Income & Expense section: Means when my wife buys 5 pairs of shoes on Amazon to select (250EUR) and later on returns 4 of them (200EUR), I would like to see just one number: Expense:Shoes = 50EUR, and not have to manually add 2 numbers later on...

So best case I would like to combine theses reports somehow in scheme files ? plus very-best case also add the starting/ending balance of the related accounts...

Anyone an idea?

Thanks a lot Oliver

Re: Need custom report?

Dorel Ciornei
Oliver,I had many times the same issue when returning things I bought.But think how this actually happens:
When you buy you use a credit/debit card, a check or cash.When you return, the money you get back have to go in a similar account, usually back a credit to your card, or they give you cash.So when you record that 'deposit' you select your expense account used to record the transaction in the first place.You can make a note that the transaction is 'Returned shoes' or whatever.
So it is one entry only.
When you run the report, it will show indeed that you spent 250 on shoes, then it will show a 'negative' expense of 200 (Returned shoes), total expense 50.
I find that pretty straight forward and it works for my reporting needs.
Now, if I wanted to change the way the report looks in a significant way, then I usually export it to an Excel spreadsheet.

     On Thursday, July 16, 2015 8:23 AM, Oliver64 <[hidden email]> wrote:

 Thanks for your quick answer!
Maybe I am too picky, but what I do not like about the CashFlow is that

1) I cannot select the ExpenseAccounts but only the BankAccounts
2) The report does not show subtotals of the parent accounts
3) Expense Accounts appear in the Income & Expense section: Means when my
wife buys 5 pairs of shoes on Amazon to select (250EUR) and later on returns
4 of them (200EUR), I would like to see just one number: Expense:Shoes =
50EUR, and not have to manually add 2 numbers later on...

So best case I would like to combine theses reports somehow in scheme files
? plus very-best case also add the starting/ending balance of the related
accounts...

Anyone an idea?

Thanks a lot Oliver

Re: Need custom report?

Wm...
Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:21:31 <[hidden email]>
Oliver64 <[hidden email]> wrote...

>Thanks for your quick answer!
>Maybe I am too picky, but what I do not like about the CashFlow is that
>
>1) I cannot select the ExpenseAccounts but only the BankAccounts

That says you do not understand the report.  You can use any combination
of accounts.  It says what went in and out.

I sometimes use it upside down, i.e. I choose an expense account (say
shoes from your example below) and it does what I know it should do.

>2) The report does not show subtotals of the parent accounts

I don't think you understand what is being shown.

>3) Expense Accounts appear in the Income & Expense section: Means when my
>wife buys 5 pairs of shoes on Amazon to select (250EUR) and later on returns
>4 of them (200EUR), I would like to see just one number: Expense:Shoes =
>50EUR, and not have to manually add 2 numbers later on...

Why?  The report is showing the flow of money.  Your liabilities
increased when the purchase was made and decreased afterwards.

>So best case I would like to combine theses reports somehow in scheme files
>? plus very-best case also add the starting/ending balance of the related
>accounts...

Learn Lisp and onwards to Scheme ?

>Anyone an idea?

Have a limited set of transactions in mind (you bought something and got
a refund the next day) and put that through the Cash Flow from *all* of
the accounts POV, i.e. the expense and income accounts too.

IMO it is the fact that the report is correct that makes people think it
is wrong :)

--
Wm...

Re: Need custom report?

Mike or Penny Novack-2
On 7/19/2015 4:57 PM, Wm... wrote:

> Thu, 16 Jul 2015 06:21:31 <[hidden email]>
> Oliver64 <[hidden email]> wrote...
>
>> Thanks for your quick answer!
>> Maybe I am too picky, but what I do not like about the CashFlow is that
>>
>> 1) I cannot select the ExpenseAccounts but only the BankAccounts
>
> That says you do not understand the report.  You can use any
> combination of accounts.  It says what went in and out.
And I will double that. You do not know what a "cash flow" report is
supposed to show. Consider the possibility that if you are wanting to
look at how much went for this or that expense then it isn't a "cash
flow" report but some other sort of report you should be looking at.

> I sometimes use it upside down, i.e. I choose an expense account (say
> shoes from your example below) and it does what I know it should do.
>
>> 2) The report does not show subtotals of the parent accounts
>
> I don't think you understand what is being shown.
More to the point, I do not think you have yet explored "report
options". There are all sorts of things about reports that you change
there (like how subtotals are handled)

>> 3) Expense Accounts appear in the Income & Expense section: Means
>> when my
>> wife buys 5 pairs of shoes on Amazon to select (250EUR) and later on
>> returns
>> 4 of them (200EUR), I would like to see just one number: Expense:Shoes =
>> 50EUR, and not have to manually add 2 numbers later on...
>
> Why?  The report is showing the flow of money.  Your liabilities
> increased when the purchase was made and decreased afterwards.
>
>> So best case I would like to combine theses reports somehow in scheme
>> files
>> ? plus very-best case also add the starting/ending balance of the
>> related
>> accounts...

Again, not understanding what the "cash flow" report is all about (what
DIFFERENT thing is it trying to show you than some other report). Let us
take this very example, yes? On date 8/02/15 the shoes are bought for
250EUR, paid for by check, at a time where the checking account balance
was 200EUR. On 8/12/15 some of the shoes returned, and a refund check
for 200EUR received and deposited on 8/22/15.

In terms of starting and ending balance, everything was hunky-dory, yes?
Bit in terms of what a cash flow report shows, there was a cash flow
problem with that first check bouncing (or starting an "overdraft"
situation if that kind of account)

Michael