Quantcast

Need a static version of GNUCash

parabolic quadrate
Hi everybody
I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)

I tried to compile it normal way, but when ever I touch a compiler it never worked out.
Can please someone compile a static version (newest stable) for me?

Thanx a lot!

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

John Ralls

> On May 11, 2017, at 7:37 PM, parabolic quadrate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi everybody
> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)
>
> I tried to compile it normal way, but when ever I touch a compiler it never
> worked out.
> Can please someone compile a static version (newest stable) for me?
>
> Thanx a lot!

GnuCash cannot be built static, it is largely implemented with loadable modules. Sorry.

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

Mike or Penny Novack-3
On 5/12/2017 6:49 AM, John Ralls wrote:
>> On May 11, 2017, at 7:37 PM, parabolic quadrate <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everybody
>> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)
Why?  << explain your need >>

As John told you, gnucash uses loadable modules.

Back in my working days, the systems I maintained had some very large
static modules (gigantic by the experience of most programmers here).
One of the things I did over those years is to make all of those
"pseudo-static" << the first time a module was needed, dynamic call but
then the address where loaded to saved, and subsequent calls static to
that address; assembler stuff.
That meant just as fast running as if static calls BUT a module could be
changed without needing to link-edit the entire program. Until all but a
reserved amount of memory left and then any additional modules called
dynamic. >>

There should be need for those sort of tricks now. Our little computers
are faster than the big mainframes of several decades ago.

Michael D Novack

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

Buddha Buck
I think it is *possible* to make a static version of GnuCash, but it is
impractical.

From the GnuCash side, it would involve modifying the build engine's calls
to the compilers and linkers to build and link statically instead of
dynamically. The problem is that when it tries to link against, say
libgtk2.a, instead of libgtk2.so, it'll fail, because it's highly unlikely
that the static libgtk2.a exists on your system. Insert into that statement
each library that GnuCash actually uses.

You would have to build static versions of all the dependencies of GnuCash,
and their dependencies, etc. There may even be some dependencies which, for
other reasons, cannot be built statically, and then the whole process would
fail.

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:56 AM Mike or Penny Novack <
[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 5/12/2017 6:49 AM, John Ralls wrote:
> >> On May 11, 2017, at 7:37 PM, parabolic quadrate <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> Hi everybody
> >> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)
> Why?  << explain your need >>
>
> As John told you, gnucash uses loadable modules.
>
> Back in my working days, the systems I maintained had some very large
> static modules (gigantic by the experience of most programmers here).
> One of the things I did over those years is to make all of those
> "pseudo-static" << the first time a module was needed, dynamic call but
> then the address where loaded to saved, and subsequent calls static to
> that address; assembler stuff.
> That meant just as fast running as if static calls BUT a module could be
> changed without needing to link-edit the entire program. Until all but a
> reserved amount of memory left and then any additional modules called
> dynamic. >>
>
> There should be need for those sort of tricks now. Our little computers
> are faster than the big mainframes of several decades ago.
>
> Michael D Novack

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

Geert Janssens-4
It's more complicated than that.

Apart from the external dependencies being dynamically loaded, gnucash itself is also written in a modular way. These modules are runtime searched and loaded using a self written module management system. If you want to build a static version of gnucash you'd have to replace this module system as well.

Buddha Buck <[hidden email]> schreef op 12 mei 2017 16:27:52 CEST:

>I think it is *possible* to make a static version of GnuCash, but it is
>impractical.
>
>From the GnuCash side, it would involve modifying the build engine's
>calls
>to the compilers and linkers to build and link statically instead of
>dynamically. The problem is that when it tries to link against, say
>libgtk2.a, instead of libgtk2.so, it'll fail, because it's highly
>unlikely
>that the static libgtk2.a exists on your system. Insert into that
>statement
>each library that GnuCash actually uses.
>
>You would have to build static versions of all the dependencies of
>GnuCash,
>and their dependencies, etc. There may even be some dependencies which,
>for
>other reasons, cannot be built statically, and then the whole process
>would
>fail.
>
>On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 7:56 AM Mike or Penny Novack <
>[hidden email]> wrote:

><[hidden email]>

>> Why?  << explain your need >>
>>
>> As John told you, gnucash uses loadable modules.
>>
>> Back in my working days, the systems I maintained had some very large
>> static modules (gigantic by the experience of most programmers here).
>> One of the things I did over those years is to make all of those
>> "pseudo-static" << the first time a module was needed, dynamic call
>but
>> then the address where loaded to saved, and subsequent calls static
>> that address; assembler stuff.
>> That meant just as fast running as if static calls BUT a module could
>be
>> changed without needing to link-edit the entire program. Until all
>but a
>> reserved amount of memory left and then any additional modules called
>> dynamic. >>
>>
>> There should be need for those sort of tricks now. Our little
>computers
>> are faster than the big mainframes of several decades ago.
>>
>> Michael D Novack

Sent from my smartphone. Please excuse my brevity.
Liz

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

Liz
On Thu, 11 May 2017 16:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
parabolic quadrate <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi everybody
> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)

You've had a few answers.
Could I ask some more questions?

Why do you need a static GnuCash?
What distribution of 64bit Linux are you using?

Can you give examples of other static programs which are running on
your system?

Liz

On 5/13/2017 3:13 AM, Liz wrote:

> On Thu, 11 May 2017 16:37:52 -0700 (PDT)
> parabolic quadrate <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi everybody
> I need to have a pure static version of GNUCash (64bit Linux)
> You've had a few answers.
> Could I ask some more questions?
>
> Why do you need a static GnuCash?
> What distribution of 64bit Linux are you using?
>
> Can you give examples of other static programs which are running on
> your system?
>
> Liz
We should consider the possibility of a language problem (meaning of
"static")

a) Might be a different human language thing
b) Might be a user vs programmer thing

Parabolic, to us programmer types, "static" refers to how an executable
is link edited, how the pieces are tied together. To us "static" means
the ENTIRE THING (even pieces that may not get used this run) are loaded
into core when then the program is loaded. It would be one, gigantic
piece. The opposite is "dynamic" which allows the link editor to say
"wait" to find out where some piece will be loaded IF is ever called <<
because not at a fixed distance from where called, that can't be
resolved till then >>

If you meant "a version of the program that is not rapidly changing,
being improved, etc.) then the term would be "stable", not "static"

Michael

Re: Need a static version of GNUCash

Maf. King
On Saturday, 13 May 2017 11:26:37 BST Mike or Penny Novack wrote:

> If you meant "a version of the program that is not rapidly changing,
> being improved, etc.) then the term would be "stable", not "static"
>
> Michael

Hi Mike,

Seems unlikely to be a language issue -  the OP did say "Can please someone
compile a static version (newest stable) for me?" in the first post.

Maf.