Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

john_mike
Dear All,

The Android App supports multi currency transactions in exactly the same
way as the Windows version of GNU Cash.

However when I export these transactions to drop box for uploading into
my desk top version of GNU Cash it exports everything except any multi
currency transactions which are ignored and dumped. They do not go to
the exported file neither are they left in the Android App (assuming you
opted to delete exported transactions).

I cannot understand why this should be.

Why would you permit multi currency transactions to be entered into the
Android App and then prevent them from being unloaded to the desk top?

I have a work around, cack handed it may be, but it works for me. Now I
have created accounts on the phone such as Cash in Wallet - Euro -
Phone. I keep the currency on these accounts as GBP. This means that the
transactions entered in the local currency are included in the export.

When I have uploaded the transactions on the desk top I edit each
transaction to move it into it's appropriate currency account and update
the conversion rate as appropriate for each transaction.

Are there any plans to include Multi Currency Transactions in the export
of transactions from the Android App?

--
  Mike Stillingfleet

Re: Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

Derek Atkins
Hi Mike,

Mike Stillingfleet <[hidden email]> writes:

> Dear All,
>
> The Android App supports multi currency transactions in exactly the same
> way as the Windows version of GNU Cash.
>
> However when I export these transactions to drop box for uploading into
> my desk top version of GNU Cash it exports everything except any multi
> currency transactions which are ignored and dumped. They do not go to
> the exported file neither are they left in the Android App (assuming you
> opted to delete exported transactions).
>
> I cannot understand why this should be.
>
> Why would you permit multi currency transactions to be entered into the
> Android App and then prevent them from being unloaded to the desk top?
>
> I have a work around, cack handed it may be, but it works for me. Now I
> have created accounts on the phone such as Cash in Wallet - Euro -
> Phone. I keep the currency on these accounts as GBP. This means that the
> transactions entered in the local currency are included in the export.
>
> When I have uploaded the transactions on the desk top I edit each
> transaction to move it into it's appropriate currency account and update
> the conversion rate as appropriate for each transaction.
>
> Are there any plans to include Multi Currency Transactions in the export
> of transactions from the Android App?

The Android App, while using our name, is an unrelated project and not
maintained by us.  You will have to go to their support site and ask
them directly.

Sorry,

Liz

Re: Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

Liz
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:11:38 -0400
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Stillingfleet <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Dear All,
> >
> > The Android App supports multi currency transactions in exactly the
> > same way as the Windows version of GNU Cash.

snip

> > Are there any plans to include Multi Currency Transactions in the
> > export of transactions from the Android App?
>
> The Android App, while using our name, is an unrelated project and not
> maintained by us.  You will have to go to their support site and ask
> them directly.
>
> Sorry,
>
> -derek

I looked at this a little last week.
If you go to the page for GooglePlay and the Android app
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gnucash.android
It has two links at the bottom.
One of those is "Visit Website" which links to
http://www.gnucash.org/
and the other is email developer
[hidden email]

IMO the correct website would be
https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android

back to the original questions..
Did you export XML, QIF or OFX?
QIF does not support multicurrency.
I've not tried any of the other export formats to see if they deal with
multi-currency.

Liz

__

Re: Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

__
I think these are the points to turn to for GC Android app related issues

https://plus.google.com/communities/104728406764752407046
https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android/issues?q=is%3Aopen

On Fri, Jul 15, 2016 at 4:16 AM, Liz <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:11:38 -0400
> Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Mike,
> >
> > Mike Stillingfleet <[hidden email]> writes:
> >
> > > Dear All,
> > >
> > > The Android App supports multi currency transactions in exactly the
> > > same way as the Windows version of GNU Cash.
> > >
> snip
> > >
> > > Are there any plans to include Multi Currency Transactions in the
> > > export of transactions from the Android App?
> >
> > The Android App, while using our name, is an unrelated project and not
> > maintained by us.  You will have to go to their support site and ask
> > them directly.
> >
> > Sorry,
> >
> > -derek
> >

> I looked at this a little last week.
> If you go to the page for GooglePlay and the Android app
> https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.gnucash.android
> It has two links at the bottom.
> One of those is "Visit Website" which links to
> http://www.gnucash.org/
> and the other is email developer
> [hidden email]
>
> IMO the correct website would be
> https://github.com/codinguser/gnucash-android
>
> back to the original questions..
> Did you export XML, QIF or OFX?
> QIF does not support multicurrency.
> I've not tried any of the other export formats to see if they deal with
> multi-currency.
>
> Liz

Re: Multi currency Transactions cannot be exported from the Android App - Why?

Wm...
On Thu, 14 Jul 2016 10:11:38 -0400, in gmane.comp.gnome.apps.gnucash.user,
Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> Mike Stillingfleet <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Dear All,
>>
>> The Android App supports multi currency transactions in exactly the same
>> way as the Windows version of GNU Cash.
>>
>> However when I export these transactions to drop box for uploading into
>> my desk top version of GNU Cash it exports everything except any multi
>> currency transactions which are ignored and dumped. They do not go to
>> the exported file neither are they left in the Android App (assuming you
>> opted to delete exported transactions).
>>
>> I cannot understand why this should be.
>>
>> Why would you permit multi currency transactions to be entered into the
>> Android App and then prevent them from being unloaded to the desk top?
>>
>> I have a work around, cack handed it may be, but it works for me. Now I
>> have created accounts on the phone such as Cash in Wallet - Euro -
>> Phone. I keep the currency on these accounts as GBP. This means that the
>> transactions entered in the local currency are included in the export.
>>
>> When I have uploaded the transactions on the desk top I edit each
>> transaction to move it into it's appropriate currency account and update
>> the conversion rate as appropriate for each transaction.
>>
>> Are there any plans to include Multi Currency Transactions in the export
>> of transactions from the Android App?
>
> The Android App, while using our name, is an unrelated project and not
> maintained by us.  You will have to go to their support site and ask
> them directly.
>
> Sorry,

To add to general thoughts on this I'm less certain of the connection
between the two bits of software now than I was a year ago.

My example is that I introduced the incumbent manager (person changes most
years) at a non-profit to GnuCash for Android both last year and this year,
last year the person saw a connection, this year they didn't.

This year's manager said they'd record stuff their own way and I made a few
saved reports for them instead, all happy.

--
Wm