Money files

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Money files

Edward Ingram
Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?

 

Edward E Ingram

 

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Money files

Derek Atkins
Hi,

"Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?

This question should have been asked on gnucash-user, as it's a user
question and not a development question.

However, to answer your quesiton: No, not directly.  You need to export
the file to QIF first and then you can import the QIF.

> Edward E Ingram

-derek
--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Money files

Donald Allen
On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?
>
> This question should have been asked on gnucash-user, as it's a user
> question and not a development question.

I've complained about the amount of user-question-spam we get on this
list in the past, and I think John made an attempt to improve the
'Mailing Lists' page, but it clearly hasn't done the job and I think
the wording is still not explicit enough.

Under 'Support', I would suggest:

The Gnucash team, along with experienced users, will answer your
questions about the use of Gnucash on gnucash-user and the other
mailing lists listed below:

Under 'Development':

The following mailing lists are for discussion of the ongoing
development of Gnucash, including submitting patches, helping with
testing, or discussing future development directions. These lists are
NOT to be used for asking questions about the use of Gnucash. Those
questions should be submitted to gnucash-user or one of the other
mailing lists mentioned in the 'Support' section above.

/Don



>
> However, to answer your quesiton: No, not directly.  You need to export
> the file to QIF first and then you can import the QIF.
>
>> Edward E Ingram
>
> -derek
> --
>       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
>       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnucash-devel list policy (was: Money files)

Christian Stimming-4
Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2011 schrieb Donald Allen:

> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > "Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:
> >> Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?
> >
> > This question should have been asked on gnucash-user, as it's a user
> > question and not a development question.
>
> I've complained about the amount of user-question-spam we get on this
> list in the past, and I think John made an attempt to improve the
> 'Mailing Lists' page, but it clearly hasn't done the job and I think
> the wording is still not explicit enough.

Dear Donald,

with all due respect: Questions from users should not be confused with "spam"
here, and should not be called this way. Thank you very much.

That being said, I fully agree the wording on the various web pages may still
be improved. However, I think people will find out about this mailing list
through various channels (wiki web page, static web page, some document in the
local program installation etc. etc.). A clarification in one place will not
yet improve things in the others. Reading again the wiki page, it seems to me
the explanation there is rather sufficient and I'd guess people who still ask
on gnucash-devel have heard about this mailing list by some other way than the
wiki page.

That being said, feel free to edit the
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists  wiki page yourself as you said,
because that's the whole point of a wiki.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,

Christian

>
> Under 'Support', I would suggest:
>
> The Gnucash team, along with experienced users, will answer your
> questions about the use of Gnucash on gnucash-user and the other
> mailing lists listed below:
>
> Under 'Development':
>
> The following mailing lists are for discussion of the ongoing
> development of Gnucash, including submitting patches, helping with
> testing, or discussing future development directions. These lists are
> NOT to be used for asking questions about the use of Gnucash. Those
> questions should be submitted to gnucash-user or one of the other
> mailing lists mentioned in the 'Support' section above.
>
> /Don
>
> > However, to answer your quesiton: No, not directly.  You need to export
> > the file to QIF first and then you can import the QIF.
> >
> >> Edward E Ingram
> >
> > -derek
> > --
> >       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
> >       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
> >       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
> >       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
> > _______________________________________________
> > gnucash-devel mailing list
> > [hidden email]
> > https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-devel mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnucash-devel list policy (was: Money files)

Donald Allen
On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 3:22 AM, Christian Stimming
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Am Mittwoch, 8. Juni 2011 schrieb Donald Allen:
>> On Tue, Jun 7, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > "Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:
>> >> Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?
>> >
>> > This question should have been asked on gnucash-user, as it's a user
>> > question and not a development question.
>>
>> I've complained about the amount of user-question-spam we get on this
>> list in the past, and I think John made an attempt to improve the
>> 'Mailing Lists' page, but it clearly hasn't done the job and I think
>> the wording is still not explicit enough.
>
> Dear Donald,
>
> with all due respect: Questions from users should not be confused with "spam"
> here, and should not be called this way. Thank you very much.

My intent in using the term was "relative spam" as opposed to
"absolute spam". Spam with respect to this list, as opposed to
messages that no one would want to read on any list. User questions
are healthy -- I was not denigrating their value -- I just want us to
do a better job of directing traffic.

>
> That being said, I fully agree the wording on the various web pages may still
> be improved. However, I think people will find out about this mailing list
> through various channels (wiki web page, static web page, some document in the
> local program installation etc. etc.). A clarification in one place will not
> yet improve things in the others. Reading again the wiki page, it seems to me
> the explanation there is rather sufficient and I'd guess people who still ask
> on gnucash-devel have heard about this mailing list by some other way than the
> wiki page.

I completely disagree with your assessment of the language on the wiki
page. And I would guess that the predominant method for a new user
finding out about Gnucash mailing lists is to start with gnucash.org
and the 'Mailing Lists' link on that page. So while there may be other
routes to this list, I think the most oft-used one is via the main
Gnucash website and if the language is clear there, the frequency of
user questions on the development list will be reduced. The proof will
be in trying it, of course.

>
> That being said, feel free to edit the
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists  wiki page yourself as you said,
> because that's the whole point of a wiki.

I did not want to simply go in and change what John had already done
without mentioning it on the list first. But I will do so now based on
what you said above.

/Don


>
> Thank you very much.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Christian
>
>>
>> Under 'Support', I would suggest:
>>
>> The Gnucash team, along with experienced users, will answer your
>> questions about the use of Gnucash on gnucash-user and the other
>> mailing lists listed below:
>>
>> Under 'Development':
>>
>> The following mailing lists are for discussion of the ongoing
>> development of Gnucash, including submitting patches, helping with
>> testing, or discussing future development directions. These lists are
>> NOT to be used for asking questions about the use of Gnucash. Those
>> questions should be submitted to gnucash-user or one of the other
>> mailing lists mentioned in the 'Support' section above.
>>
>> /Don
>>
>> > However, to answer your quesiton: No, not directly.  You need to export
>> > the file to QIF first and then you can import the QIF.
>> >
>> >> Edward E Ingram
>> >
>> > -derek
>> > --
>> >       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
>> >       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
>> >       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
>> >       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
>> > _______________________________________________
>> > gnucash-devel mailing list
>> > [hidden email]
>> > https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> gnucash-devel mailing list
>> [hidden email]
>> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
>
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Money files

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Derek Atkins
Hi,

"Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I'm not familiar with etiquette for sourceforge.

I'm not sure what sorceforge has to do with anything, however for the
GnuCash lists the etiquette is to make sure all responses get replied
back to the list using your mailer's reply-to-list or reply-all
functionality.

> Is there somewhere I can fid out where to ask questions?

Yes, as I said in my last reply: gnucash-user You can subscribe at
http://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user I've CC'd this
message here and I've set the mail so that your reply will go there, but
please get into the habit of using "reply-to-list" or "reply-all".

-derek

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Derek Atkins [mailto:[hidden email]]
> Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2011 12:18 PM
> To: Edward Ingram
> Cc: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: Money files
>
> Hi,
>
> "Edward Ingram" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Can I import Microsoft Money 2003 into gnucash?
>
> This question should have been asked on gnucash-user, as it's a user
> question and not a development question.
>
> However, to answer your quesiton: No, not directly.  You need to export
> the file to QIF first and then you can import the QIF.
>
>> Edward E Ingram
>
> -derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available
_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: gnucash-devel list policy (was: Money files)

Derek Atkins
In reply to this post by Donald Allen
Donald Allen <[hidden email]> writes:

>> That being said, I fully agree the wording on the various web pages may still
>> be improved. However, I think people will find out about this mailing list
>> through various channels (wiki web page, static web page, some document in the
>> local program installation etc. etc.). A clarification in one place will not
>> yet improve things in the others. Reading again the wiki page, it seems to me
>> the explanation there is rather sufficient and I'd guess people who still ask
>> on gnucash-devel have heard about this mailing list by some other way than the
>> wiki page.
>
> I completely disagree with your assessment of the language on the wiki
> page. And I would guess that the predominant method for a new user
> finding out about Gnucash mailing lists is to start with gnucash.org
> and the 'Mailing Lists' link on that page. So while there may be other
> routes to this list, I think the most oft-used one is via the main
> Gnucash website and if the language is clear there, the frequency of
> user questions on the development list will be reduced. The proof will
> be in trying it, of course.

There are three places that I think the text needs to be clarified:

1) On the wiki
2) On the website
3) In the mailman configuration

There's arguably a fourth place:  in the app itself, where it says:
Report bugs and other problems to [hidden email].

>> That being said, feel free to edit the
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Mailing_Lists  wiki page yourself as you said,
>> because that's the whole point of a wiki.
>
> I did not want to simply go in and change what John had already done
> without mentioning it on the list first. But I will do so now based on
> what you said above.
>
> /Don
>

-derek

--
       Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
       Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
       URL: http://web.mit.edu/warlord/    PP-ASEL-IA     N1NWH
       [hidden email]                        PGP key available

_______________________________________________
gnucash-devel mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-devel