Matching delayed transactions

ddougan
I downloaded my .qfx transaction set from my bank today; while matching,
I hit a problem with a payment that was not deposited until about 18
days after delivery, and therefore didn't match my payment of the bill
in GnuCash.

I searched the my mailing list folder as I remembered a discussion about
this a while ago. It was about a similar issue in 1.8.10 days, which
indicated there was a hard-coded limit of 14 days.

Did this stay the same in the 2.0 series (I'm assuming yes), and if so,
is it worth raising as a bug or RFE?

Regards,

Des

--

Des Dougan, Principal
Dougan Consulting Group

Ph: 604-866-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com

        www.DouganConsulting.com

Design - Implementation - Support

Re: Matching delayed transactions

Doug Laidlaw
On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:04:20 am Des Dougan wrote:

> I downloaded my .qfx transaction set from my bank today; while matching,
> I hit a problem with a payment that was not deposited until about 18
> days after delivery, and therefore didn't match my payment of the bill
> in GnuCash.
>
> I searched the my mailing list folder as I remembered a discussion about
> this a while ago. It was about a similar issue in 1.8.10 days, which
> indicated there was a hard-coded limit of 14 days.
>
> Did this stay the same in the 2.0 series (I'm assuming yes), and if so,
> is it worth raising as a bug or RFE?
>
> Regards,
>

> Des

So somebody paid 18 days late?

Doug.
--
It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.
   - Albert Einstein

Re: Matching delayed transactions

Eric Ladner-2
That brings up a good question, though..

How exactly does it do it's matching?  I've seen some weird
transactions that matched weird stuff and non-weird transactions that
didn't match up where it seemed obvious.

On 7/9/07, Des Dougan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded my .qfx transaction set from my bank today; while matching,
> I hit a problem with a payment that was not deposited until about 18
> days after delivery, and therefore didn't match my payment of the bill
> in GnuCash.
>
> I searched the my mailing list folder as I remembered a discussion about
> this a while ago. It was about a similar issue in 1.8.10 days, which
> indicated there was a hard-coded limit of 14 days.
>
> Did this stay the same in the 2.0 series (I'm assuming yes), and if so,
> is it worth raising as a bug or RFE?
>
> Regards,
>

> Des
>
> --
>
> Des Dougan, Principal
> Dougan Consulting Group
>
> Ph: 604-866-2848       Email: des at DouganConsulting dot com
>
>         www.DouganConsulting.com
>
> Design - Implementation - Support

Eric Ladner

Re: Matching delayed transactions

Chris Carton
On 7/9/07, Des Dougan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I downloaded my .qfx transaction set from my bank today; while matching,
> I hit a problem with a payment that was not deposited until about 18
> days after delivery, and therefore didn't match my payment of the bill
> in GnuCash.
>
> I searched the my mailing list folder as I remembered a discussion about
> this a while ago. It was about a similar issue in 1.8.10 days, which
> indicated there was a hard-coded limit of 14 days.
>
> Did this stay the same in the 2.0 series (I'm assuming yes), and if so,
> is it worth raising as a bug or RFE?
>
> Regards,
>

> Des
>
> --

I'm not sure why that would be considered a bug.  Matching a transaction 18
days away might be correct for you in this situation but might just as
easily be wrong for someone else in a different situation.  When you've got
an unusual situation like that I think you should just fix it maually.
Unless the developers feel like adding complicated customization options to
the transaction matching -- that might be a useful feature request.

On Tue, 2007-07-10 at 23:28 +1000, Doug Laidlaw wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Jul 2007 08:04:20 am Des Dougan wrote:
> > I downloaded my .qfx transaction set from my bank today; while matching,
> > I hit a problem with a payment that was not deposited until about 18
> > days after delivery, and therefore didn't match my payment of the bill
> > in GnuCash.
> >
> > I searched the my mailing list folder as I remembered a discussion about
> > this a while ago. It was about a similar issue in 1.8.10 days, which
> > indicated there was a hard-coded limit of 14 days.
> >
> > Did this stay the same in the 2.0 series (I'm assuming yes), and if so,
> > is it worth raising as a bug or RFE?
> >
> > Regards,
> >

> > Des
>
> So somebody paid 18 days late?
>
> Doug.

Actually, what happened was I paid, and processed the payment in GC, but
the recipient (my accountant) was away, and the cheque wasn't deposited
until 18 days later. It would appear to me that that wouldn't be a
particularly unusual occurrence, hence my question.

Des