Matching cross-account transfer transactions to each other

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Matching cross-account transfer transactions to each other

Benjamin Melançon-2
Hi all!

Here's my workflow, please tell me i'm missing a feature:

1. Manually export an OFX from my online banking checking account and
import it into GnuCash, it goes into the right account every time, great.
2. Manually export an OFX from my online banking savings account and import
it into GnuCash, it also goes into its correct account, great.
3. When i find a transfer from say, the savings account to the checking
account while in the checking account ("Deposit TRANSFER from Savings"),
it's always unbalanced and i replace the "Imbalance-USD" line with a
reference to the savings account.
4. Delete the now-duplicate counterpart unbalanced transaction, "Withdrawal
TRANSFER from Savings", in the savings account ledger.

Is there a way to match these transactions, instead of deleting one?

Something else i'm missing?

(It happens exactly the same, of course, if i start in the other account.)

Thanks!

ben

--
http://agaric.com
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Matching cross-account transfer transactions to each other

David Carlson-4
Ben,

I have a similar situation at my favorite bank.  They actually allow me to
download all accounts at once in a single OFX file.  When I import this
file into GnuCash, the cross transfers are duplicated for me too.  GnuCash
cannot match them in the OFX importer.  It may be possible to use QIF
downloads instead, but I am not sure whether GnuCash will match them in
that format if they are in the same file.

I think you are saying that for you GnuCash doesn't match cross-transfers
even when they are imported separately.  That surprises me, but perhaps you
are not correcting the mis match until after the import.  GnuCash will only
learn about matching to existing transactions if the match is found and set
during the import process.  The same would be true if GnuCash were
assigning restaurant transactions to gasoline purchases or vice versa.  You
would need to correct those during the import for GnuCash to learn.  Even
then, I still see a few errors of this type after years of imports.

David C

On Wed, Aug 31, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Benjamin Melançon <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hi all!
>
> Here's my workflow, please tell me i'm missing a feature:
>
> 1. Manually export an OFX from my online banking checking account and
> import it into GnuCash, it goes into the right account every time, great.
> 2. Manually export an OFX from my online banking savings account and import
> it into GnuCash, it also goes into its correct account, great.
> 3. When i find a transfer from say, the savings account to the checking
> account while in the checking account ("Deposit TRANSFER from Savings"),
> it's always unbalanced and i replace the "Imbalance-USD" line with a
> reference to the savings account.
> 4. Delete the now-duplicate counterpart unbalanced transaction, "Withdrawal
> TRANSFER from Savings", in the savings account ledger.
>
> Is there a way to match these transactions, instead of deleting one?
>
> Something else i'm missing?
>
> (It happens exactly the same, of course, if i start in the other account.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> ben
>
> --
> http://agaric.com
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: Matching cross-account transfer transactions to each other

John Ralls-2
In reply to this post by Benjamin Melançon-2

> On Aug 31, 2016, at 5:04 PM, Benjamin Melançon <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi all!
>
> Here's my workflow, please tell me i'm missing a feature:
>
> 1. Manually export an OFX from my online banking checking account and
> import it into GnuCash, it goes into the right account every time, great.
> 2. Manually export an OFX from my online banking savings account and import
> it into GnuCash, it also goes into its correct account, great.
> 3. When i find a transfer from say, the savings account to the checking
> account while in the checking account ("Deposit TRANSFER from Savings"),
> it's always unbalanced and i replace the "Imbalance-USD" line with a
> reference to the savings account.
> 4. Delete the now-duplicate counterpart unbalanced transaction, "Withdrawal
> TRANSFER from Savings", in the savings account ledger.
>
> Is there a way to match these transactions, instead of deleting one?
>
> Something else i'm missing?
>
> (It happens exactly the same, of course, if i start in the other account.)

You can try clicking the "R" box in the matcher, then double-clicking on the line. If the matcher can figure out the counterpart transaction it will offer it as a match in the resulting dialog box. This isn't guaranteed because the matcher might not be smart enough to find the counter transaction, in which case the dialog box won't present a transaction.

Regards,
John Ralls


_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

backupgnucash jar file

Elmarts
On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backupgnucash
to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click
on the jar file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the
window popped up so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this
program?

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
- Elmar
GnuCash 2.6.12
Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-34-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: backupgnucash jar file

Plutocrat
The software is called Backup Gnucash for Windows, so maybe it doesn't run on Linux? Java apps aren't automatically cross platform.

I guess you could try running it from the command line 'java -jar backupgnucash.jar' ... but I think you're probably onto a loser there. Its not too hard to write a script to backup gnucash files in Linux anyway.

tar -zcf /path/to/backup/$(date +%F-%H%M)-gnucash-backup.tar.gz /path/to/gnucashdata/

Something like this?

P.

ETS wrote on Friday, 02 September, 2016 12:15 AM:
> On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backupgnucash
> to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
> executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click
> on the jar file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the
> window popped up so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this
> program?

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: backupgnucash jar file

Elmarts
There is a linux variant (it claims), and that is what I am trying to
use.  But in terms of script - does your script get the aqbanking data
and the reports as well? - Elmar

On 09/02/2016 12:45 AM, Plutocrat wrote:

> The software is called Backup Gnucash for Windows, so maybe it doesn't run on Linux? Java apps aren't automatically cross platform.
>
> I guess you could try running it from the command line 'java -jar backupgnucash.jar' ... but I think you're probably onto a loser there. Its not too hard to write a script to backup gnucash files in Linux anyway.
>
> tar -zcf /path/to/backup/$(date +%F-%H%M)-gnucash-backup.tar.gz /path/to/gnucashdata/
>
> Something like this?
>
> P.
>
> ETS wrote on Friday, 02 September, 2016 12:15 AM:
>> On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
>> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backupgnucash
>> to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
>> executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click
>> on the jar file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the
>> window popped up so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this
>> program?
> _______________________________________________
> gnucash-user mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
> -----
> Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
> You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
>

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
- Elmar
GnuCash 2.6.12
Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-34-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

RE: backupgnucash jar file

ChrisGood
In reply to this post by Elmarts
> Message: 1

> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:15:41 -0400
> From: ETS <[hidden email]>
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: backupgnucash jar file
> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>
> On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backu
> pgnucash
> to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
> executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click on
the jar
> file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the window popped up
> so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this program?
>

Hi ETS,

Jar files are only executable by java.
I suggest creating a .desktop file for easy running from your Linux gui
environment. I assume this will work for Mint as it is based on Ubuntu.
Please see section 'Running' in
https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/blob/master/src/backupgnucash
/README.md

Plutocrat is right that not all java applications are cross platform
compatible but this one is, for at least Windows & Linux and maybe (not
tested) Mac.

Regards, Chris Good

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

smime.p7s (6K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: backupgnucash jar file

Elmarts
After many adventures, and a full reinstallation of linux mint (this
time 64 bit, version 18.2), I am back at this impasse.  I put the jar
file into the correctly named folder, but when I try to execute

java -jar /home/ets/BackupGnuCash/BackupGnuCash.jar &

I get

  Error: Could not find or load main class backupgnucash.BackupGnuCash

Obviously I am missing something fundamental, despite reading the
readme.md which says:

### GNU/Linux ###
   To run the project from the command line, type the following
```
     java -jar "[PathTo]/BackupGnuCash.jar" &
```
E.g.
```
     java -jar /home/[USER_NAME]/BackupGnuCash/BackupGnuCash.jar &

Help?

- Elmar


On 09/02/2016 05:31 PM, Chris Good wrote:

>> Message: 1
>> Date: Thu, 1 Sep 2016 12:15:41 -0400
>> From: ETS <[hidden email]>
>> To: [hidden email]
>> Subject: backupgnucash jar file
>> Message-ID: <[hidden email]>
>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8
>>
>> On my way into linux from windows - I am trying to get
>> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/tree/master/src/backu
>> pgnucash
>> to work under Mint 18.  I've downloaded the jar file, and marked it as
>> executable, and tried to use the java 8 to run it ... but when I click on
> the jar
>> file nothing happens.  On the windows side, at least the window popped up
>> so you could set the paths.  Anyone else using this program?
>>
> Hi ETS,
>
> Jar files are only executable by java.
> I suggest creating a .desktop file for easy running from your Linux gui
> environment. I assume this will work for Mint as it is based on Ubuntu.
> Please see section 'Running' in
> https://github.com/goodvibes2/BackupGnuCashWin/blob/master/src/backupgnucash
> /README.md
>
> Plutocrat is right that not all java applications are cross platform
> compatible but this one is, for at least Windows & Linux and maybe (not
> tested) Mac.
>
> Regards, Chris Good

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
- Elmar
GnuCash 2.6.12
Linux Mint 18 Sarah 32-bit
Kernel Linux 4.4.0-34-generic i686
MATE 1.14.1
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: backupgnucash jar file

John Ralls-2

> On Aug 11, 2017, at 6:59 PM, Elmar <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> After many adventures, and a full reinstallation of linux mint (this time 64 bit, version 18.2), I am back at this impasse.  I put the jar file into the correctly named folder, but when I try to execute
>
> java -jar /home/ets/BackupGnuCash/BackupGnuCash.jar &
>
> I get
>
> Error: Could not find or load main class backupgnucash.BackupGnuCash
>
> Obviously I am missing something fundamental, despite reading the readme.md which says:
>
> ### GNU/Linux ###
>  To run the project from the command line, type the following
> ```
>    java -jar "[PathTo]/BackupGnuCash.jar" &
> ```
> E.g.
> ```
>    java -jar /home/[USER_NAME]/BackupGnuCash/BackupGnuCash.jar &
>
> Help?

Go pester the author of BackupGnuCash. It is not part of the GnuCash project and not supported here.

Regards,
John Ralls

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Loading...