Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Antonio Leding
Hello,

Is it possible to manually post scheduled transactions?  From what I see in the app, it looks like scheduled transactions are intended to be automatically posted by the system on the date configured by the user.  However, often times it is preferable to post them manually.

Thanks.

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Colin Law
On 21 April 2016 at 19:12, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Is it possible to manually post scheduled transactions?  From what I see in the app, it looks like scheduled transactions are intended to be automatically posted by the system on the date configured by the user.  However, often times it is preferable to post them manually.

When you create a scheduled transaction there is a tickbox "Create
Automatically".  If that is not set then I presume it will not do so.

Colin

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Antonio Leding
Hi Colin,

That's kinda what I figured as well - we have either auto-post or not-post - no other options…hopefully we're wrong…

On 21 April 2016 at 22:09, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Colin,
>
> That's kinda what I figured as well - we have either auto-post or not-post - no other options…hopefully we're wrong…

I don't know what other option you want.
If you leave that unchecked then, I believe, if a transaction is due
then when you start up it will run the Since Last Run dialog and give
you the option of entering it.  Or I believe you can manually run
Since Last Run.  I have not used this in earnest as I have never felt
the need to enter scheduled transactions manually.  In fact I tell it
to enter them at the start of the month so that I can see all the
expected expenditure for the month ahead so I can make sure I keep
enough deposits available.

Colin

> On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:07 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 21 April 2016 at 19:12, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> Is it possible to manually post scheduled transactions?  From what I see in the app, it looks like scheduled transactions are intended to be automatically posted by the system on the date configured by the user.  However, often times it is preferable to post them manually.
>>
>> When you create a scheduled transaction there is a tickbox "Create
>> Automatically".  If that is not set then I presume it will not do so.
>>
>> Colin

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Antonio Leding
In other apps, one can simply right-click the transaction or use a dedicated button to manually post with options to change the amount, date, bank, memo, etc. prior to actually posting it.  I don't see anything akin to this in GnuCash…

On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 21 April 2016 at 22:09, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi Colin,
>>
>> That's kinda what I figured as well - we have either auto-post or not-post - no other options…hopefully we're wrong…
>
> I don't know what other option you want.
> If you leave that unchecked then, I believe, if a transaction is due
> then when you start up it will run the Since Last Run dialog and give
> you the option of entering it.  Or I believe you can manually run
> Since Last Run.  I have not used this in earnest as I have never felt
> the need to enter scheduled transactions manually.  In fact I tell it
> to enter them at the start of the month so that I can see all the
> expected expenditure for the month ahead so I can make sure I keep
> enough deposits available.
>
> Colin

>>> When you create a scheduled transaction there is a tickbox "Create
>>> Automatically".  If that is not set then I presume it will not do so.
>>>
>>> Colin

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

That feature must be a lot harder to implement than one might think.  It has been requested for several years now without a fix being implemented.
David C
Sent from my LG G Pad 7.0 LTE, an AT&T 4G LTE tablet

------ Original message------From: Antonio LedingDate: Thu, Apr 21, 2016 4:41 PMTo: Colin Law;Cc: [hidden email];Subject:Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions
In other apps, one can simply right-click the transaction or use a dedicated button to manually post with options to change the amount, date, bank, memo, etc. prior to actually posting it.  I don't see anything akin to this in GnuCash…On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Colin Law  wrote:> On 21 April 2016 at 22:09, Antonio Leding  wrote:>> Hi Colin,>> >> That's kinda what I figured as well - we have either auto-post or not-post - no other options…hopefully we're wrong…> > I don't know what other option you want.> If you leave that unchecked then, I believe, if a transaction is due> then when you start up it will run the Since Last Run dialog and give> you the option of entering it.  Or I believe you can manually run> Since Last Run.  I have not used this in earnest as I have never felt> the need to enter scheduled transactions manually.  In fact I tell it> to enter them at the start of the month so that I can see all the> expected expenditure for the month ahead so I can make sure I keep> enough deposits available.> > Colin> >> >> >> >> On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:07 PM, Colin Law  wrote:>> >>> On 21 April 2016 at 19:12, Antonio Leding  wrote:>>>> Hello,>>>> >>>> Is it possible to manually post scheduled transactions?  From what I see in the app, it looks like scheduled transactions are intended to be automatically posted by the system on the date configured by the user.  However, often times it is preferable to post them manually.>>> >>> When you create a scheduled transaction there is a tickbox "Create>>> Automatically".  If that is not set then I presume it will not do so.>>> >>> Colin>> _______________________________________________gnucash-user mailing [hidden email]://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user-----Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Dave H
Assuming I have a previous transaction I would usually find it and
"Duplicate" it which gives me the opportunity to change it as required to
accomplish the same thing and totally ignore the scheduled transaction :-)

Cheers Dave H.

On 22 April 2016 at 07:29, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:

> In other apps, one can simply right-click the transaction or use a
> dedicated button to manually post with options to change the amount, date,
> bank, memo, etc. prior to actually posting it.  I don't see anything akin
> to this in GnuCash…
>

> On Apr 21, 2016, at 2:26 PM, Colin Law <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On 21 April 2016 at 22:09, Antonio Leding <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> Hi Colin,
> >>
> >> That's kinda what I figured as well - we have either auto-post or
> not-post - no other options…hopefully we're wrong…
> >
> > I don't know what other option you want.
> > If you leave that unchecked then, I believe, if a transaction is due
> > then when you start up it will run the Since Last Run dialog and give
> > you the option of entering it.  Or I believe you can manually run
> > Since Last Run.  I have not used this in earnest as I have never felt
> > the need to enter scheduled transactions manually.  In fact I tell it
> > to enter them at the start of the month so that I can see all the
> > expected expenditure for the month ahead so I can make sure I keep
> > enough deposits available.
> >
> > Colin

> see in the app, it looks like scheduled transactions are intended to be
> automatically posted by the system on the date configured by the user.
> However, often times it is preferable to post them manually.

Re: Manually posting scheduled transactions

randix
I must confess I still have nightmares from the early days of outlook, with automatic recurring entries gone wild...

Am I the only one?

In a particular account if I have a monthly payment to be made on the 25th, I have an entry for the 25th in that account. When the 25th comes, I enter another transaction for the 25th for the following month.  I have a corresponding entry in my calendar for which I do the same (in case I forget to "schedule" another transaction for the next month).  So there's always one future entry for any given bill, and I can see all the bills etc. coming up in that account.

I put a "*" at the end of the transaction description if it's being automatically debited from the account; "**" if I am manually making the payment (eg calling up and giving my credit card number or writing a check, etc.).

Guess I feel more comfy remaining "in control" then relying on the program to schedule my transactions.  But then, I still wake up in cold sweat on occasion, of multiplying Outlook calendar entries...

Re: Manullay posting scheduled transactions

Robin Chattopadhyay
Another option is to set the Frequency to 'Once' and then put the date that
you want to post the transaction in the Start Date field. I use that option
for several infrequent and random transactions that are otherwise more
effort to key manually than to have a scheduled transaction standing by.

Robin