M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Peter Gregory-2
I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing the
information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.

Is there any plan for this feature to be developed (graph not important
- just the values)?

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Derek Atkins
Peter Gregory <[hidden email]> writes:

> I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing the
> information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.
>
> Is there any plan for this feature to be developed (graph not important
> - just the values)?

I've been waiting for someone to send in the report code
that implements it.  I'll gladly include it in the next release.

Derek Atkins wrote:
Peter Gregory [hidden email] writes:

I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing the
information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.

Is there any plan for this feature to be developed (graph not important
- just the values)?

I've been waiting for someone to send in the report code
that implements it.  I'll gladly include it in the next release.

-derek

Do you know if someone is working on the report code?

Peter (very newbie GnuCash user)

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Derek Atkins
Peter Gregory <[hidden email]> writes:

> Do you know if someone is working on the report code?

I don't believe anyone has offered...  At least I don't
recall offhand.

> Peter (very newbie GnuCash user)

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Andrew Sackville-West

Peter Gregory wrote:

>>>I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing the
>>>information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.

what exactly are you looking for here? can you describe what you want?

Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

Peter Gregory wrote:

I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing the information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.

what exactly are you looking for here? can you describe what you want?

I have copied the help from M$ Money about the balance forecast. As mentioned previously, it is the values that are important, not necessarily the graph.

The Balance Forecast chart shows you how much money you will have in the coming months based on your current account balance and your scheduled bills and deposits.

To select accounts you want to include and the time period for which you want to forecast, click the View and Look ahead drop-down lists at the bottom of the screen, and then select the option you want.

This forecast is based on:

  • Each account's current balance.
  • All the recurring transactions you have scheduled in Money that involve the selected accounts.
  • All future-dated payments in the Account Register.

Use the Balance Forecast chart more effectively:

  • Allow for any regular but unscheduled expenses, such as groceries or dry cleaning.

  • To avoid having to pay unwanted bank fees, see that your minimum balance is covered by comparing it to the lowest point on the graph.

  • To get an accurate forecast, make sure you schedule all of your forthcoming payments, deposits, and transfers on the Schedule your forthcoming bills and deposits page.

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Peter Gregory-2
Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> what exactly are you looking for here? can you describe what you want?

After looking at my previous posting I think it may not have been as
helpful as it might have been.

The end result I am looking for is to ensure that I do not spend more
than I have.

The processing required is to take the current balance for an account,
and then apply in date order any scheduled transactions (including any
scheduled transactions that should already have been applied). Print the
calculated end-of-day balance and date.

Options required are select account to process, and last date to process.

Sorry if terminology is not GnuCash :-)

Peter

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

I.e., a report based on unposted SXes..  Yea, nobody has done
this and AFAIK nobody is working on it.

-derek

Peter Gregory <[hidden email]> writes:

> Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
>
>     Peter Gregory wrote:
>
>                 I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing
>                 the information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.
>
>     what exactly are you looking for here? can you describe what you want?

> I have copied the help from M$ Money about the balance forecast. As mentioned
> previously, it is the values that are important, not necessarily the graph.
>
> The Balance Forecast chart shows you how much money you will have in the
> coming months based on your current account balance and your scheduled bills
> and deposits.
>
> To select accounts you want to include and the time period for which you want
> to forecast, click the View and Look ahead drop-down lists at the bottom of
> the screen, and then select the option you want.
>
> This forecast is based on:
>
>   • Each account's current balance.
>   • All the recurring transactions you have scheduled in Money that involve
>     the selected accounts.
>   • All future-dated payments in the Account Register.
>
> Use the Balance Forecast chart more effectively:
>
>   • Allow for any regular but unscheduled expenses, such as groceries or dry
>     cleaning.
>
>   • To avoid having to pay unwanted bank fees, see that your minimum balance
>     is covered by comparing it to the lowest point on the graph.
>
>   • To get an accurate forecast, make sure you schedule all of your
>     forthcoming payments, deposits, and transfers on the Schedule your
>     forthcoming bills and deposits page.

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Josh Sled
On Mon, 2005-11-21 at 16:09 +0000, Peter Gregory wrote:
> The processing required is to take the current balance for an account,
> and then apply in date order any scheduled transactions (including any
> scheduled transactions that should already have been applied). Print the
> calculated end-of-day balance and date.

The budgeting support in the development branch might help you get the
data you're after, but this is, I think, something slightly different.

One possiblity is to force the creation of scheduled transactions out X
(60, 90, whatever) days in the future.  Once done, the register for the
account(s) will show the correct future balance with the transactions
applied ... but only because the transactions will *actually* be entered
onto the books.  This is less-than-flexible if you want to try out
different payment schedules or in fact want to make any change to the
scheduled transactions.

A report that looked at the scheduled transactions and computed their
application into the future would be nifty.  All the pieces are there as
the Since-Last-Run dialog does substantially the same thing; this would
just want to do so without actually changing the transaction state, and
have some reasonable behavior around SXes that contain variables.

...jsled
--
http://asynchronous.org/ - `a=jsled; b=asynchronous.org; echo ${a}@${b}`

Re: M$ Money - projected a/c balance

Robert Heller
  Derek Atkins <[hidden email]>,
  In a message on Mon, 21 Nov 2005 11:17:24 -0500, wrote :

DA> I.e., a report based on unposted SXes..  Yea, nobody has done
DA> this and AFAIK nobody is working on it.

OTOH, for simple personal finances, it is possible to get a 'crude'
version of this in the register display window, once the SXes have been
entered and generated.  In the register heading is a 'projected minimum
balance' and one can scroll down and observe balances as they go up
(eg SX'ed income, such as paychecks) and down (automatic bill payments)
and you have an idea of how much 'free cash' one might have at
different future times. I know, not a real report, but this might be
enough for the OP's purposes.

DA> -derek
DA>
DA> Peter Gregory <[hidden email]> writes:
DA>
DA> > Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
DA> >
DA> >     Peter Gregory wrote:
DA> >
DA> >                 I know there has been threads before about GnuCash providing
DA> >                 the information in M$ Money projected a/c balance graph.
DA> >
DA> >     what exactly are you looking for here? can you describe what you want?

DA> > I have copied the help from M$ Money about the balance forecast. As mentioned
DA> > previously, it is the values that are important, not necessarily the graph.
DA> >
DA> > The Balance Forecast chart shows you how much money you will have in the
DA> > coming months based on your current account balance and your scheduled bills
DA> > and deposits.
DA> >
DA> > To select accounts you want to include and the time period for which you want
DA> > to forecast, click the View and Look ahead drop-down lists at the bottom of
DA> > the screen, and then select the option you want.
DA> >
DA> > This forecast is based on:
DA> >
DA> >   ? Each account's current balance.
DA> >   ? All the recurring transactions you have scheduled in Money that involve
DA> >     the selected accounts.
DA> >   ? All future-dated payments in the Account Register.
DA> >
DA> > Use the Balance Forecast chart more effectively:
DA> >
DA> >   ? Allow for any regular but unscheduled expenses, such as groceries or dry
DA> >     cleaning.
DA> >
DA> >   ? To avoid having to pay unwanted bank fees, see that your minimum balance
DA> >     is covered by comparing it to the lowest point on the graph.
DA> >
DA> >   ? To get an accurate forecast, make sure you schedule all of your
DA> >     forthcoming payments, deposits, and transfers on the Schedule your
DA> >     forthcoming bills and deposits page.
DA> >
DA>
DA> --
DA>        Derek Atkins, SB '93 MIT EE, SM '95 MIT Media Laboratory
DA>        Member, MIT Student Information Processing Board  (SIPB)
DA>        [hidden email]                        PGP key available

                                     \/
Robert Heller                        ||InterNet:   [hidden email]
http://www.deepsoft.com/             ||FidoNet:    1:321/153
http://www.deepsoft.com/~heller      /\

Robert Heller                      -- 978-544-6933
Deepwoods Software        -- Download the Model Railroad System
http://www.deepsoft.com/  -- Binaries for Linux and MS-Windows
heller@deepsoft.com        -- http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem/

Peter Gregory wrote:

> The end result I am looking for is to ensure that I do not spend more
> than I have.

join the club. :)

> The processing required is to take the current balance for an account,
> and then apply in date order any scheduled transactions (including any
> scheduled transactions that should already have been applied). Print the
> calculated end-of-day balance and date.

as others have said, this requires getting as SX information and while
Josh says its all there, its not trivial to learn where "there" is. The
dev's are heavy into G2 right now, but if any want to pipe up with how
to get the SX info, I'll take a stab at that report.

Andrew Sackville-West <[hidden email]> writes:

> as others have said, this requires getting as SX information and while
> Josh says its all there, its not trivial to learn where "there" is. The
> dev's are heavy into G2 right now, but if any want to pipe up with how
> to get the SX info, I'll take a stab at that report.

I suspect it will require wrapping some of the SX APIs.  I don't think
they've been wrapped, yet.  I can help you on #gnucash irc if I'm
around and you can't figure out the syntax of gw-engine-spec.scm
(although it's pretty simple if you take a few minutes to read through
the file).

I don't know what APIs you'll need to use..  In particular, I don't
know if there's an API for "give me the value of this SX at time T
without creating the transaction at time T".