Lot link problems

George Khouri
Friends,
I upgraded from gnucash 2.4 to 2.6 on linux. Without looking into the
new features, I continued using 2.6. After posting many invoices and
payments, I realized there were all these lot link entries in AR, which
had never been there before.  I thought my partner had made some wrong
entries, so I changed many of the lot links to invoices in the AR
register. My (very) bad. Is there a way to reverse what I've done? Or,
shall I ask, "what is the proper way to reverse what I've done?" I can't
really go back to a backup, since much data entry has followed. I've
searched and read the mailing list entries and haven't quite found the
answer.
Is it a matter of (in some order):
1.  Delete the lot link entry in AR,
2. Find the associated payments with the relevant invoices and reassign
them to their proper invoices?

Do I need to unpost the invoices first, or ever?
Do I need to delete the payments?

Also, in the  menu Actions->View Lots...  dialog, clicking on an open
invoice in the list titled "Lots in this account" would show the item
detail in a window below that in the same dialog yesterday. Now the
lower window(s) in the dialog are gone. No upgrades/updates here since
then. Is this a bug?  I tried deleting my preference in ~/.gnucash but
the dialog has changed since yesterday.
BTW, is there documentation on what this dialog does? I couldn't find any.

Thanks for any help,
George Khouri

Re: Lot link problems

Geert Janssens
On Thursday 27 March 2014 23:13:22 George Khouri wrote:
> Friends,
> I upgraded from gnucash 2.4 to 2.6 on linux. Without looking into the
> new features, I continued using 2.6. After posting many invoices and
> payments, I realized there were all these lot link entries in AR,
> which had never been there before.  I thought my partner had made
> some wrong entries, so I changed many of the lot links to invoices in
> the AR register. My (very) bad.
Oops. The lot links are rather sensitive to direct manipulation as you just experienced. (They're
actually on my list of things to revisit and hopefully improve).

> Is there a way to reverse what I've
> done? Or, shall I ask, "what is the proper way to reverse what I've
> done?" I can't really go back to a backup, since much data entry has
> followed. I've searched and read the mailing list entries and haven't
> quite found the answer.
> Is it a matter of (in some order):
> 1.  Delete the lot link entry in AR,
> 2. Find the associated payments with the relevant invoices and
> reassign them to their proper invoices?

That's probably the easiest way.

> Do I need to unpost the invoices first, or ever?
> Do I need to delete the payments?
No and no. After you have deleted the now broken lot link you should be able to reassign the
payment to the proper invoice.

> Also, in the  menu Actions->View Lots...  dialog, clicking on an open
> invoice in the list titled "Lots in this account" would show the item
> detail in a window below that in the same dialog yesterday. Now the
> lower window(s) in the dialog are gone. No upgrades/updates here since
> then. Is this a bug?  I tried deleting my preference in ~/.gnucash
> but the dialog has changed since yesterday.
It's not really gone but rather not visible. I have noticed as well that the dialog has some poor
default layout settings. If you move your mouse cursor near the bottom edge of the dialog you
will notice you can drag the separator between the top and bottom panes upwards to reveal
the details again.

> BTW, is there documentation on what this dialog does? I couldn't find
> any.
No idea. I have mostly used this dialog to study lots in an account. It should be possible to use
this in some limited way to manipulate lots but I never tried.

Re: Lot link problems

ItsGoneFunny
Hello!
I've been using GnuCash for my business accounting for years and very smug and happy I am about it too. I think it is an amazing package for free and really flexible. Thank you very very much.

It has taught me all I know about accounting and I fear I may have developped rather ideosyncratic methods (Accounts that make no sense to proper accountants, but make great sense to me)

Just to say that I too was deeply puzzled by the Lot Links. Mainly because I had never heard of Lot accounting and thought "Lot" was a typo for "Lost". Therefore that something had gone wrong internally and hours spent trying to rectify these imagined mistakes by deleting the links and reentering payments invoices etc. I can confirm that while we are not supposed to be looking at accounts receivable, we DO look. I even do wrong things like putting an amount owed directly into account receivable, so that I can remember that someone is supposed to be paying me.

Very glad to read the explanations here and know that all is well.

As mentioned by someone else: now I know that the Action -> View Lots place exists, many of the transactions are dated 1833.

Also during the recent chaos, I became very confused by whether an invoice was posted or not. In the Edit Invoice dialog the "Post" button is always live, even when an invoice has already beren posted.

Anyway, whinging apart, I am so grateful to you guys.

Helen

Re: Lot link problems

Geert Janssens
On Monday 18 August 2014 08:28:28 ItsGoneFunny wrote:

> Hello!
> I've been using GnuCash for my business accounting for years and very
> smug and happy I am about it too. I think it is an amazing package
> for free and really flexible. Thank you very very much.
>
> It has taught me all I know about accounting and I fear I may have
> developped rather ideosyncratic methods (Accounts that make no sense
> to proper accountants, but make great sense to me)
>
> Just to say that I too was deeply puzzled by the Lot Links. Mainly
> because I had never heard of Lot accounting and thought "Lot" was a
> typo for "Lost". Therefore that something had gone wrong internally
> and hours spent trying to rectify these imagined mistakes by deleting
> the links and reentering payments invoices etc. I can confirm that
> while we are not supposed to be looking at accounts receivable, we DO
> look. I even do wrong things like putting an amount owed directly
> into account receivable, so that I can remember that someone is
> supposed to be paying me.

You are of course free to use the application the way you see fit. The disadvantage of using it
differently than intended is that not all logic works as expected either.

What are you trying to achieve by putting an amount directly into the account receivable
instead of using the business options ?

> Very glad to read the explanations here and know that all is well.

Thanks for the feedback. As mentioned earlier as well I intend to revisit the whole "Lot Link"
concept. In fact I am writing a cleanup function for this as we speak. It's a first step. After that I
intend to reduce the amount of lot links that will be created.

> As mentioned by someone else: now I know that the Action -> View Lots
> place exists, many of the transactions are dated 1833.
>
> Also during the recent chaos, I became very confused by whether an
> invoice was posted or not. In the Edit Invoice dialog the "Post"
> button is always live, even when an invoice has already beren posted.

I vaguely remember a similar issue being discussed on the list before. For sure this is not normal
behaviour. Can you check the contents of your trace file [1] ?

> Anyway, whinging apart, I am so grateful to you guys.

That's nice to hear !

Geert

[1] http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Tracefile

Re: Lot link problems

Plutocrat
Geert Janssens <janssens-geert <at> telenet.be> writes:

I was caught out by this too. I just rebuilt my computer with a different
version of Linux, and in the upgrade I was moved from 2.4 to 2.6,
unbeknownst to me. I started adding invoices and payments and was horrified
by all the alien entries appearing. I thought I'd really screwed something up!

Anyway I thought I'd add a comment to this thread just to say that although
I do use the Business > Customer > Invoice tools to set up invoices, I often
go to the Accounts Receivable view just to check that they've been correctly
processed, and also to look up information such as invoice numbers, which I
find easier than using the built-in search tools. In fact I'm a small
business, so I always have my Current Account and Accounts Payable windows
open, and that's about all I look at.

I'd prefer it if I didn't have to look at four lines per transaction, as it
clutters the view and makes it harder to find what I'm looking for. To that
end, I'd second having a "Hide/View Lot Links" function. Or maybe they could
be hidden/revealed on an invoice by invoice basis with a toggle.

I'm just giving this feedback as its clear that many "normal users" don't
behave as expected: nothing new there I guess. :-)

Jim

Re: Lot link problems

Geert Janssens
On Tuesday 09 September 2014 09:52:42 Jim wrote:

> Geert Janssens <janssens-geert <at> telenet.be> writes:
>
> I was caught out by this too. I just rebuilt my computer with a
> different version of Linux, and in the upgrade I was moved from 2.4
> to 2.6, unbeknownst to me. I started adding invoices and payments and
> was horrified by all the alien entries appearing. I thought I'd
> really screwed something up!
>
> Anyway I thought I'd add a comment to this thread just to say that
> although I do use the Business > Customer > Invoice tools to set up
> invoices, I often go to the Accounts Receivable view just to check
> that they've been correctly processed, and also to look up
> information such as invoice numbers, which I find easier than using
> the built-in search tools. In fact I'm a small business, so I always
> have my Current Account and Accounts Payable windows open, and that's
> about all I look at.
>
> I'd prefer it if I didn't have to look at four lines per transaction,
> as it clutters the view and makes it harder to find what I'm looking
> for. To that end, I'd second having a "Hide/View Lot Links" function.
> Or maybe they could be hidden/revealed on an invoice by invoice basis
> with a toggle.
>
> I'm just giving this feedback as its clear that many "normal users"
> don't behave as expected: nothing new there I guess. :-)
>
> Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks for your clarifications. I understand GnuCash is just a tool and everybody uses a tool in
his own particular way. With all the reactions I got so far, it's clear you all are very creative in
finding useful ways to use gnucash - intended or not :)

Anyway concerning the topic of lot links. I did think a lot about this (no pun intended) and I
don't believe that showing/hiding lot links is the proper solution. That will lead to confusion and
mistakes.

The better solution is to reduce the use of lot links. While revisiting this I found that a direct
transaction between two lots in the AP/AR registers is only required when two documents of
opposite sign are involved, like when you offset a bill/invoice with a credit note for example.

In all other payment cases the old behaviour of 2.4 can still be used (with some minor
adaptations).

The good news is that I have reworked this code for the upcoming 2.6.4 release. Most payments
will be handled similar to what used to be in 2.4. Only when you have an invoice/bill to offset
with a credit note a lot link will be created. For this particular case I have also altered the memo
on the transaction to make it more clear what the transaction is doing exactly.

In addition I have extended "Action->Check & Repair->This/All/Sub account(s)" to clean up all
unnecessary lot links that do exist currently. So the existing mess can be cleaned up as well.