It's true, my note to Santa

randix
Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on it.

As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment routine.

I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...

Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

John Ralls-2

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 3:52 PM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
> it.
>
> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
> routine.
>
> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>
> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...

Not happening this year, or next. GnuCash for Android is as close as it's going to get for a long time.

AC

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

AC
On 2015-12-27 15:52, Steve wrote:

> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
> it.
>
> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
> routine.
>
> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>
> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...

You're asking for what amounts to a cloud-centered version of GnuCash
which means a cloud-based server somewhere has to store the financial
data of you and every other user in a (ideally, hopefully) secure
fashion (open source has nothing to do with it).  What group of
volunteers do you think would step up to that type of liability never
mind the costs involved in running it?

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

L. D. James
On 12/27/2015 07:25 PM, AC wrote:

> On 2015-12-27 15:52, Steve wrote:
>> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
>> it.
>>
>> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
>> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
>> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
>> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
>> routine.
>>
>> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
>> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
>> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
>> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
>> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>>
>> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...
Think personal mysql server.

I do it for my home security with a very simple Android interface with
buttons.

And, of course, it doesn't hurt to dream...

Thanks, Steve... keep the dream alive!

Happy holiday season to all!

-- L. James

--
L. D. James
[hidden email]

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 4:25 PM, AC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2015-12-27 15:52, Steve wrote:
>> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
>> it.
>>
>> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
>> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
>> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
>> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
>> routine.
>>
>> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
>> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
>> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
>> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
>> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>>
>> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...
>
> You're asking for what amounts to a cloud-centered version of GnuCash
> which means a cloud-based server somewhere has to store the financial
> data of you and every other user in a (ideally, hopefully) secure
> fashion (open source has nothing to do with it).  What group of
> volunteers do you think would step up to that type of liability never
> mind the costs involved in running it?

Really? I thought he was just asking for a full version of GnuCash that runs on his phone/tablet.

Of course if you consider Microsoft's Surface a mobile device, you're already there: GnuCash should run fine on it since it runs Win10. The UI will be pretty uncomfortable without a mouse and keyboard, but it should run.

AC

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

AC
On 2015-12-27 16:36, John Ralls wrote:

>> On Dec 27, 2015, at 4:25 PM, AC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> On 2015-12-27 15:52, Steve wrote:
>>> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
>>> it.
>>>
>>> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
>>> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
>>> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
>>> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
>>> routine.
>>>
>>> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
>>> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
>>> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
>>> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
>>> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>>>
>>> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...
>>
>> You're asking for what amounts to a cloud-centered version of GnuCash
>> which means a cloud-based server somewhere has to store the financial
>> data of you and every other user in a (ideally, hopefully) secure
>> fashion (open source has nothing to do with it).  What group of
>> volunteers do you think would step up to that type of liability never
>> mind the costs involved in running it?
>
> Really? I thought he was just asking for a full version of GnuCash that runs on his phone/tablet.
>
> Of course if you consider Microsoft's Surface a mobile device, you're already there: GnuCash should run fine on it since it runs Win10. The UI will be pretty uncomfortable without a mouse and keyboard, but it should run.

Given the state of mobile devices it appears that what he wants would
require a cloud solution.  Consider that mobile devices currently have
very limited amount of RAM (not the storage portion, the true RAM
portion for active programs and data)[1].  It would be very difficult to
port the entirety of GnuCash over to that platform and have it run
reliably within the confines of everything else already running on the
phone.  Even most desktop machines are coming with more than 4 GB of RAM
now.

The alternate reading is that there was a desire for instant integration
between the mobile device and the desktop application which immediately
implies a cloud.  Short of installing a private VPN service back to the
home to access a database backend there's no way to get that kind of
integration without a cloud-based solution.

[1] Current specs for RAM on various recent devices for some major brands:
Phone form factor:
Apple iPhone 6: 1 GB
Apple iPhone 6S/6S Plus: 2 GB
Samsung Galaxy S5: 2 GB
Samsung Galaxy S6: 3 GB
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge: 4 GB
Motorola Droid Turbo 2: 3 GB
Motorola Nexus 6: 3 GB

Tablet form factor:
Samsung Galaxy Note 5: 4 GB
Apple iPad Pro: 4 GB
Apple iPad Mini 4: 2 GB
Apple iPad Air 2: 2 GB
Apple iPad 4: 1 GB

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

John Ralls-2

> On Dec 27, 2015, at 5:43 PM, AC <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> On 2015-12-27 16:36, John Ralls wrote:

>>> You're asking for what amounts to a cloud-centered version of GnuCash
>>> which means a cloud-based server somewhere has to store the financial
>>> data of you and every other user in a (ideally, hopefully) secure
>>> fashion (open source has nothing to do with it).  What group of
>>> volunteers do you think would step up to that type of liability never
>>> mind the costs involved in running it?
>>
>> Really? I thought he was just asking for a full version of GnuCash that runs on his phone/tablet.
>>
>> Of course if you consider Microsoft's Surface a mobile device, you're already there: GnuCash should run fine on it since it runs Win10. The UI will be pretty uncomfortable without a mouse and keyboard, but it should run.
>
> Given the state of mobile devices it appears that what he wants would
> require a cloud solution.  Consider that mobile devices currently have
> very limited amount of RAM (not the storage portion, the true RAM
> portion for active programs and data)[1].  It would be very difficult to
> port the entirety of GnuCash over to that platform and have it run
> reliably within the confines of everything else already running on the
> phone.  Even most desktop machines are coming with more than 4 GB of RAM
> now.
>
> The alternate reading is that there was a desire for instant integration
> between the mobile device and the desktop application which immediately
> implies a cloud.  Short of installing a private VPN service back to the
> home to access a database backend there's no way to get that kind of
> integration without a cloud-based solution.
>

> [1] Current specs for RAM on various recent devices for some major brands:
> Phone form factor:
> Apple iPhone 6: 1 GB
> Apple iPhone 6S/6S Plus: 2 GB
> Samsung Galaxy S5: 2 GB
> Samsung Galaxy S6: 3 GB
> Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge: 4 GB
> Motorola Droid Turbo 2: 3 GB
> Motorola Nexus 6: 3 GB
>
> Tablet form factor:
> Samsung Galaxy Note 5: 4 GB
> Apple iPad Pro: 4 GB
> Apple iPad Mini 4: 2 GB
> Apple iPad Air 2: 2 GB
> Apple iPad 4: 1 GB

GnuCash doesn't need much memory. The working set on a freshly-launched instance with a small file is <30MB on my Mac, opening a graphical report doubles that to ~50MB. Tiny compared to running a movie.

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

Anton
Hi Steve,

just wanted to share my thoughts on the GnuCash Android app, because I
recently played around with it, in the hope of using it in conjuction with
GnuCash on the desktop. The idea is great, you could use GnuCash on the
desktop and on the go, and synchronize both ways. The interface
implementation is also surprisingly good and easy to use. I wouldn't even
mind the "download, upload dance" - if it would always work. But the
problem I have with the Android app, I simply feel I cannot rely on it. I
tried to import data and sometimes it works, sometimes in doesn't. Moving a
file back and forth between desktop and mobile is just too unreliable. I
contacted the developer and he told me that they are aware of the issue.
That's great but the fact remains that in my opinion, the mobile and
desktop GnuCashes can not be used together reliably. For some users it
might work, for me it doesn't. I have a feeling the GnuCash Android app is
meant mainly as a separate application to be used more or less exclusively,
it's not meant to be actually used in parallel to the desktop app on a
daily basis, copying data back and forth every day. Also the support
options suck, I can ask for help but only if I have a Google+ profile which
I don't want. So yeah it would be great if there was a *real* GnuCash on
Android, with an interface similar to the Android app but with the full,
true functionality of GnuCash. Especially with the ability to read and
write GnuCash files reliably. I don't expect this to happen though.

Regarding GnuCash on the desktop, if I had a wish to Santa, it would be
easier export options for the accounts as tab-separated ASCII. I find this
very difficult. I can do expense reports or "export", but it's so much work
to arrive at a representation where each transaction is one line and which
mirrors the way transactions are displayed in the account windows. It would
be so convenient to just export  as tab- or comma-separated ASCII, just
with the same fields, in the same order, and the same number of lines as in
the account window. (And no I cannot program this myself.)

bw,
Anton

On Mon, Dec 28, 2015 at 8:52 AM, Steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working on
> it.
>
> As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, is
> working toward a functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The current
> unofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver the true functional experience
> to allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment to moment
> routine.
>
> I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, but
> boy, I sure would like to use my phone and post charges, see credits, and
> see balances real time, without waiting till I get home and doing the
> download, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as my
> desktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...
>
> Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...

Re: It's true, my note to Santa

Sweet :)

I'm currently not aware of anyone actively working on a formal mobile gnucash app
unfortunately.

However it is something I am interested in and as one of the current developers I hope we will
eventually be able to provide such an app based on the same code as the desktop application
for maximum compatibility.

The current code won't allow this because it's not sufficiently portable. But I believe the current
development goals will lower this bar by a significant amount: the code is being rewritten in
C++ and boost, which are both very portable. That should become a good foundation to start
the android app from. In addition, there are plans to seriously improve the sql backend code
which would make it much more attractive to use gnucash together with a remote mysql
database and by multiple users at the same time.

Personally I'm always keeping a future android version in mind when important code decisions
have to be taken.

Having said all that, I agree with John that an android version based on the same code as the
desktop application will be highly unlikely for the next year or two.

Steve <[hidden email]> schreef op 28 december 2015 00:52:09 CET:
Santa hasn't gotten back to me, hoping that he and his elves are working onit.

As we approach 2016, I wish someone out there, publicly or secretly, isworking toward a
functional mobile app running GnuCash.  The currentunofficial GnuCash app just doesn't deliver
the true functional experienceto allow GnuCash to be incorporated as part of the daily moment
to momentroutine.

I understand the difficulty, the challenge, the nature of open source, butboy, I sure would like to
use my phone and post charges, see credits, andsee balances real time, without waiting till I
get home and doing thedownload, upload dance...and the transition to mobile is noticeable, as
mydesktop GnuCash application languishes but continues to beckon me...

Just wishin', Santa... I'll be back next year (and the year after!)...

Nabble.com[2].