Invoice Importer

123

Invoice Importer

knew two gnucash
My end goal - import invoices.   My reason for posting - not getting to that end goal.

The search leads to
http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html says:

"Once you have converted the file navigate to Business → Invoice & Bill Import to open a new import window. "

Well, that menu option is just not there.

And from config.log:
"It was created by GnuCash configure 2.4.99, which was
generated by GNU Autoconf 2.67.  Invocation command line was
   $ ./configure --enable-python"
copy was built from svn r20731 built at the start of the month.

Python is compiled in, per the statement:
"The Python extensions are an optional feature in the source code. To be able to use Python scripts, GnuCash must have been compiled with this option enabled, otherwise all what follows won’t work."

So - what am I missing to get "Business → Invoice & Bill Import " to work?

Re: Invoice Importer

Christian Stimming-4
Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2011 schrieb knew two gnucash:

> My end goal - import invoices.   My reason for posting - not getting to
> that end goal.
>
> The search leads to
> http://code.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html says:
>
> "Once you have converted the file navigate to Business → Invoice & Bill
> Import to open a new import window. "
>
> Well, that menu option is just not there.
>
> And from config.log:
> "It was created by GnuCash configure 2.4.99, which was
> generated by GNU Autoconf 2.67.  Invocation command line was
>    $ ./configure --enable-python"
> copy was built from svn r20731 built at the start of the month.
>
> Python is compiled in, per the statement:
> "The Python extensions are an optional feature in the source code. To be
> able to use Python scripts, GnuCash must have been compiled with this
> option enabled, otherwise all what follows won’t work."
>
> So - what am I missing to get "Business → Invoice & Bill Import " to work?

Your first step to get this working is to compile with --enable-python, which
you have done. The next step is to ensure that the python module is loaded
correctly at start-up. What do you see on your console when you run

  gnucash --logto=stderr --log=gnc=message

If it says "Traceback [ ... ] ImportError: No module named gnucash"
this means you still have to set up your PYTHON_PATH so that your newly
compiled python module "gnucash" is found by python. Only after that I think
this menu item might appear.

Best Regards,

Christian

Re: Invoice Importer

knew two gnucash
It didn't like the permissions the 1st round - said it could not open the file.   Solved that  with some chmod + action and got:

woop /usr/local/share/gnucash/python
Hello from python!
Entries for test, test2 and test3 show up that did not when the error was 'can't open file'

Alas, I do not see a change in the menus.

So - what am I missing?

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Monday 13 Jun 2011 01:31:48 knew two gnucash wrote:

> It didn't like the permissions the 1st round - said it could not open the
> file.   Solved that  with some chmod + action and got:
>
> woop /usr/local/share/gnucash/python
> Hello from python!
> Entries for test, test2 and test3 show up that did not when the error was
> 'can't open file'
>
> Alas, I do not see a change in the menus.
>
> So - what am I missing?

Sorry for the delayed reply I've not been monitoring the list lately.
You have edit your config.user file to enable the module.  Add the line:

(gnc:module-load "gnucash/plugins/bi_import" 0)

to it.  On linux this file is in  $HOME/.gnucash

--
GPG Key: 1024D/050895C2
Keyserver: http://pgp.mit.edu/

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
Christian Stimming-4 wrote
Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2011 schrieb knew two gnucash:

> Python is compiled in, per the statement:
> "The Python extensions are an optional feature in the source code. To be
> able to use Python scripts, GnuCash must have been compiled with this
> option enabled, otherwise all what follows won’t work."
>
> So - what am I missing to get "Business → Invoice & Bill Import " to work?

Your first step to get this working is to compile with --enable-python, which
you have done. The next step is to ensure that the python module is loaded
correctly at start-up. What do you see on your console when you run

  gnucash --logto=stderr --log=gnc=message
How would I do this on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion? I installed the binary but don't have the proper menu option. The wiki instructions for building gnucash on mac only mention testing up to Leopard. And I haven't seen any instructions on enabling python using macports either.

Re: Invoice Importer

John Ralls-2

On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:03 AM, reubano wrote:

> Christian Stimming-4 wrote
>>
>> Am Sonntag, 12. Juni 2011 schrieb knew two gnucash:
>>
>>> Python is compiled in, per the statement:
>>> "The Python extensions are an optional feature in the source code. To be
>>> able to use Python scripts, GnuCash must have been compiled with this
>>> option enabled, otherwise all what follows won’t work."
>>>
>>> So - what am I missing to get "Business → Invoice & Bill Import " to
>>> work?
>>
>> Your first step to get this working is to compile with --enable-python,
>> which
>> you have done. The next step is to ensure that the python module is loaded
>> correctly at start-up. What do you see on your console when you run
>>
>>  gnucash --logto=stderr --log=gnc=message
>>

> How would I do this on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion? I installed the binary but don't
> have the proper menu option. The wiki instructions for building gnucash on
> mac only mention testing up to Leopard. And I haven't seen any instructions
> on enabling python using macports either.

No, the wiki instructions say that the *minimum* version it will work on is Leopard. The procedure has been tested on Lion. Do note, though, that the resulting binary won't work on any version of OSX earlier than the SDK that you use. Note second that the bundle file isn't set up for Python, so you'll need to modify it. You'll want to include Python in your module list as well, so that you have an in-tree build to work with.

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM, John Ralls-2 [via GnuCash]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:03 AM, reubano wrote:
>

>> Christian Stimming-4 wrote

>>> Your first step to get this working is to compile with --enable-python,
>>> which
>>> you have done. The next step is to ensure that the python module is
>>> loaded
>>> correctly at start-up. What do you see on your console when you run
>>>
>>>  gnucash --logto=stderr --log=gnc=message
>>>

>> How would I do this on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion? I installed the binary but don't
>> have the proper menu option. The wiki instructions for building gnucash on
>> mac only mention testing up to Leopard. And I haven't seen any
>> instructions
>> on enabling python using macports either.
>
> No, the wiki instructions say that the *minimum* version it will work on is
> Leopard. The procedure has been tested on Lion. Do note, though, that the
> resulting binary won't work on any version of OSX earlier than the SDK that
> you use. Note second that the bundle file isn't set up for Python, so you'll
> need to modify it. You'll want to include Python in your module list as
> well, so that you have an in-tree build to work with.

Please explain. So I follow directions from
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building and add the line:
module_autogenargs["gnucash"]="--enable-python"

Is there anything additional I need to do?

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:36:44 -0800 (PST)
reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM, John Ralls-2 [via GnuCash]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 3, 2012, at 12:03 AM, reubano wrote:
> >

> >> Christian Stimming-4 wrote

> >> How would I do this on Mac OSX 10.7 Lion? I installed the binary
> >> but don't have the proper menu option. The wiki instructions for
> >> building gnucash on mac only mention testing up to Leopard. And I
> >> haven't seen any instructions
> >> on enabling python using macports either.
> >
> > No, the wiki instructions say that the *minimum* version it will
> > work on is Leopard. The procedure has been tested on Lion. Do note,
> > though, that the resulting binary won't work on any version of OSX
> > earlier than the SDK that you use. Note second that the bundle file
> > isn't set up for Python, so you'll need to modify it. You'll want
> > to include Python in your module list as well, so that you have an
> > in-tree build to work with.
>
> Please explain. So I follow directions from
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building and add the line:
> module_autogenargs["gnucash"]="--enable-python"
>
> Is there anything additional I need to do?
>
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

The business -> invoice bill importer doesn't use python, it is
an optional module and needs to be enabled in
$HOME/.gnucash/config.user (In linux, I'm not sure about OSX), by
adding the line:

(gnc:module-load "gnucash/plugins/bi_import" 0)

I seem to have missed this bit off the guide page.

http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html

Mike E

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
I can't find config.user on my system. The closet to it is
~/.gconf/apps/gnucash which contains 1 file (%gconf.xml) and 4
directories (dialogs, general, history, window). The xml file is
blank.

On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Mike Evans [via GnuCash]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:36:44 -0800 (PST)
> reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 11:20 PM, John Ralls-2 [via GnuCash]
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> > No, the wiki instructions say that the *minimum* version it will
>> > work on is Leopard. The procedure has been tested on Lion. Do note,
>> > though, that the resulting binary won't work on any version of OSX
>> > earlier than the SDK that you use. Note second that the bundle file
>> > isn't set up for Python, so you'll need to modify it. You'll want
>> > to include Python in your module list as well, so that you have an
>> > in-tree build to work with.
>>
>> Please explain. So I follow directions from
>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building and add the line:
>> module_autogenargs["gnucash"]="--enable-python"
>>
>> Is there anything additional I need to do?
>>
>> > Regards,
>> > John Ralls
>>

>> --
>
> The business -> invoice bill importer doesn't use python, it is
> an optional module and needs to be enabled in
> $HOME/.gnucash/config.user (In linux, I'm not sure about OSX), by
> adding the line:
>
> (gnc:module-load "gnucash/plugins/bi_import" 0)
>
> I seem to have missed this bit off the guide page.
>
> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html
>
> Mike E

> NAML

Re: Invoice Importer

Derek Atkins-3
Hi,

On Wed, January 4, 2012 8:15 am, reubano wrote:
> I can't find config.user on my system. The closet to it is
> ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash which contains 1 file (%gconf.xml) and 4
> directories (dialogs, general, history, window). The xml file is
> blank.

It does not exist by default.  You need to create it in ~/.gnucash

-derek

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 2:38 PM, Mike Evans [via GnuCash]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Jan 2012 22:36:44 -0800 (PST)
>> reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> Please explain. So I follow directions from
>>> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSX/Quartz#Building and add the line:
>>> module_autogenargs["gnucash"]="--enable-python"
>>>
>>> Is there anything additional I need to do?

>>> --
>>
>> The business -> invoice bill importer doesn't use python, it is
>> an optional module and needs to be enabled in
>> $HOME/.gnucash/config.user (In linux, I'm not sure about OSX), by
>> adding the line:
>>
>> (gnc:module-load "gnucash/plugins/bi_import" 0)
>>
>> I seem to have missed this bit off the guide page.
>>
>> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html
>>
>> Mike E

>> NAML

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Derek Atkins-3 [via GnuCash]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, January 4, 2012 8:15 am, reubano wrote:
>> I can't find config.user on my system. The closet to it is
>> ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash which contains 1 file (%gconf.xml) and 4
>> directories (dialogs, general, history, window). The xml file is
>> blank.
>
> It does not exist by default.  You need to create it in ~/.gnucash
>
> -derek

I did and don't see the menu option. Is it because I am using the
binary? Do I need to install via macports or build from source?

Re: Invoice Importer

John Ralls-2

On Jan 4, 2012, at 10:56 PM, reubano wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 10:44 PM, Derek Atkins-3 [via GnuCash]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Wed, January 4, 2012 8:15 am, reubano wrote:
>>> I can't find config.user on my system. The closet to it is
>>> ~/.gconf/apps/gnucash which contains 1 file (%gconf.xml) and 4
>>> directories (dialogs, general, history, window). The xml file is
>>> blank.
>>
>> It does not exist by default.  You need to create it in ~/.gnucash
>>
>> -derek
>>

> I did and don't see the menu option. Is it because I am using the
> binary? Do I need to install via macports or build from source?

No, it's because on OSX, the Gnucash config files go in ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash. Move your config.user there and it should work (it does for me).

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
Awesome! It works (as in I have the menu item... haven't tried to
import an invoice yet). Any chance,
http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html could be
updated with instructions for mac?

--
_____________________________________
Reuben Cummings

http://globalcyclesolutions.com
[hidden email]

+255 756 477 319 (vodacom)
+255 785 477 319 (airtel)
+255 655 477 319 (tigo)
+254 717 427 367 (safaricom)
+1 (234) 738 2266 (u.s.)

gmail/skype/twitter/linkedin - reubano

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Thu, 5 Jan 2012 08:04:43 -0800 (PST)
reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Awesome! It works (as in I have the menu item... haven't tried to
> import an invoice yet). Any chance,
> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html could be
> updated with instructions for mac?

Will do that.  I'm a linux user so I didn't know the correct the OSX
location.  Thanks John

Mike Evans

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 6:14 PM, John Ralls-2 [via GnuCash]
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> > On Jan 4, 2012, at 10:56 PM, reubano wrote:

> >> I did and don't see the menu option. Is it because I am using the
> >> binary? Do I need to install via macports or build from source?
> >
> > No, it's because on OSX, the Gnucash config files go in
> > ~/Library/Application Support/Gnucash. Move your config.user there
> > and it should work (it does for me).
> >
> > Regards,
> > John Ralls

> > NAML

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Reuben Cummings <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Awesome! It works (as in I have the menu item... haven't tried to
> import an invoice yet). Any chance,
> http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html could be
> updated with instructions for mac?

So, upon further usage I can't get the importer to work as expected.
Importing bills works fine but when importing invoices, I get the
error "ROW DELETED, VENDOR_DOES_NOT_EXIST: id=00001". Since 'id' is
the invoice number, I don't understand the error. I even changed the
invoice number to match the id of an existing vendor and still get the
same error.

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
It then imports the file but only every even row. E.g., the results window says "5 lines imported: 3 ignored (not fixable)".

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:02:16 -0800 (PST)
reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 7:04 PM, Reuben Cummings <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
> > Awesome! It works (as in I have the menu item... haven't tried to
> > import an invoice yet). Any chance,
> > http://svn.gnucash.org/docs/guide/python-import-invoices.html could
> > be updated with instructions for mac?
>
> So, upon further usage I can't get the importer to work as expected.
> Importing bills works fine but when importing invoices, I get the
> error "ROW DELETED, VENDOR_DOES_NOT_EXIST: id=00001". Since 'id' is
> the invoice number, I don't understand the error. I even changed the
> invoice number to match the id of an existing vendor and still get the
> same error.

Field 1 = invoice number.  Field 3 vendor ID, it should match *exactly*
the vendor ID, (since it's a text match), check leading decimal places.

As for skipping rows, no idea.  I'll look into it.

Mike Evans

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:11:28 -0800 (PST)
reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It then imports the file but only every even row. E.g., the results
> window says "5 lines imported: 3 ignored (not fixable)".

This should have fixed, see bug 667581, r21869 and r21870.  I didn't
for some reason backport it to 2.4 branch however.

Mike Evans

Re: Invoice Importer

Mike Evans
On Sat, 18 Feb 2012 00:02:00 +0000 (UTC)
Marc Rassbach <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The error he's seeing was in code from 8 months ago.  2 months ago it
> was working.
Marc,

Are you using svn?  I fixed it there and forgot to apply it 2.4
branch.

Just committed as r22055 in 2.4.

Mike E

> On Fri, 17 Feb 2012, Mike Evans wrote:
>
> > Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2012 16:26:19 +0000
> > From: Mike Evans <[hidden email]>
> > To: reubano <[hidden email]>
> > Cc: [hidden email]
> > Subject: Re: Invoice Importer
> >
> > On Fri, 17 Feb 2012 08:02:16 -0800 (PST)
> > reubano <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> So, upon further usage I can't get the importer to work as
> >> expected. Importing bills works fine but when importing invoices,
> >> I get the error "ROW DELETED, VENDOR_DOES_NOT_EXIST: id=00001".
> >> Since 'id' is the invoice number, I don't understand the error. I
> >> even changed the invoice number to match the id of an existing
> >> vendor and still get the same error.
> >>
> > Field 1 = invoice number.  Field 3 vendor ID, it should match
> > *exactly* the vendor ID, (since it's a text match), check leading
> > decimal places.
> >
> > As for skipping rows, no idea.  I'll look into it.
> >
> > Mike Evans

Re: Invoice Importer

reubano
>> So, upon further usage I can't get the importer to work as expected.
>> Importing bills works fine but when importing invoices, I get the
>> error "ROW DELETED, VENDOR_DOES_NOT_EXIST: id=00001". Since 'id' is
>> the invoice number, I don't understand the error. I even changed the
>> invoice number to match the id of an existing vendor and still get the
>> same error.
>>
> Field 1 = invoice number.  Field 3 vendor ID, it should match *exactly*
> the vendor ID, (since it's a text match), check leading decimal places.

vendor ID (i.e. customer ID) does match because after the import, the
correct customer name appears. I am getting somewhere though because
if I use a customer ID that also happens to be a valid vendor ID,
there is no error and all the line items import. However, if I have a
customer ID that does not also exist as a vendor ID, the error
reappears and only the even line items import.
123