Installing GnuCash 2.0 on Mac OS X

BelieveNada
Everyone,

After several weeks of brooding over it, and a few intense evenings
trying everything that I could think of, I have gotten GnuCash 2.0
compiled on my PowerBook!  Everything seems to be working, and I want to
thank the developers for the phenomenal effort.  Thank you!

I started, of course, with these instructions...
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation but there were a few
pieces of info missing or that my limited experience couldn't provide.
So here is my errata.  If you think its worthwhile, I'll make an effort
to add to the wiki.  Let me know if I should.

1.  The first issue I encountered was that the manually downloaded
g-wrap-1.9.6 couldn't find guile16 that fink installed.  The solution is
further in the instructions.  Executing this line:

$ export PATH=/sw/share/guile/1.6/scripts/binoverride:$PATH

before doing the g-wrap ./configure solves it.  I recommend that step be
moved up to before the g-wrap section.

2.  There is no information here about where g-wrap needs to be.  Mine
ended up in /sw/etc .  Frankly, I don't know how.  It became clear that
it needs to be in /sw/bin .  At least, g-wrap.configure must be in
/sw/bin .  I tried several ways to get g-wrap to compile into that
directory (--prefix didn't work), but I finally just manually moved all
the g-wrap files.

3.  GnuCash needed more information about the location of g-wrap/guile.
I had to change the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to include the
location of /g-wrap-1.9.6/guile.  In my case I did this: export
PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/bin/g-wrap-1.9.6/guile:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH .

4.  That took care of getting GnuCash to compile.  Note, however, that
the instructions say that the line:

./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/sw
--enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make install

will install in the /usr/local directory.  This wasn't the case on my
computer.  GnuCash installed right were it was...
~/Documents/src/gnuCash/src/bin/gnucash .  I suppose there is someway to
erase it and force it to compile in the right place, but I don't think
I'm up to it.

Regards,
Rudye

Re: Installing GnuCash 2.0 on Mac OS X

Andre Powell
I am thinking about doing this later on what OS are you running? I have 10.3.9 curious if i can get version 2.0.x to compile.

Rudye McGlothlin <[hidden email]> wrote: Everyone,

[...]

Kevin Broderick-2

On 29 Aug 2006, at 12:57 AM, Rudye McGlothlin wrote:

> Everyone,
>
> After several weeks of brooding over it, and a few intense evenings
> trying everything that I could think of, I have gotten GnuCash 2.0
> compiled on my PowerBook!  Everything seems to be working, and I
> want to
> thank the developers for the phenomenal effort.  Thank you!
>
> I started, of course, with these instructions...
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/MacOSXInstallation but there were a few
> pieces of info missing or that my limited experience couldn't provide.
> So here is my errata.  If you think its worthwhile, I'll make an
> effort
> to add to the wiki.  Let me know if I should.

If you can add the additional info to the wiki, that would be helpful.

> 1.  The first issue I encountered was that the manually downloaded
> g-wrap-1.9.6 couldn't find guile16 that fink installed.  The
> solution is
> further in the instructions.  Executing this line:
>
> $ export PATH=/sw/share/guile/1.6/scripts/binoverride:$PATH
>
> before doing the g-wrap ./configure solves it.  I recommend that
> step be
> moved up to before the g-wrap section.

I think it might need to be copied to the g-wrap section rather than
moved (so as to not confuse anyone who is simply using fink's g-wrap
rather than a manually-downloaded copy).

> 2.  There is no information here about where g-wrap needs to be.  Mine
> ended up in /sw/etc .  Frankly, I don't know how.  It became clear
> that
> it needs to be in /sw/bin .  At least, g-wrap.configure must be in
> /sw/bin .  I tried several ways to get g-wrap to compile into that
> directory (--prefix didn't work), but I finally just manually moved
> all
> the g-wrap files.

I'm not sure if this is a g-wrap issue or a gnucash one; if it's the
former, and you managed to locate documentation about it (if there is
any), a link from the wiki might work.  If there isn't any [finable]
documentation on the subject, a link to your message in the mailing
list archives might be appropriate.

> 3.  GnuCash needed more information about the location of g-wrap/
> guile.
> I had to change the $PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable to
> include the
> location of /g-wrap-1.9.6/guile.  In my case I did this: export
> PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/bin/g-wrap-1.9.6/guile:$PKG_CONFIG_PATH .

I'm not sure which step this would be best connected to in the wiki;
perhaps someone who is more familiar with the build system than I
could comment?

> 4.  That took care of getting GnuCash to compile.  Note, however, that
> the instructions say that the line:
>
> ./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/sw
> --enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make install
>
> will install in the /usr/local directory.  This wasn't the case on my
> computer.  GnuCash installed right were it was...
> ~/Documents/src/gnuCash/src/bin/gnucash .  I suppose there is
> someway to
> erase it and force it to compile in the right place, but I don't think
> I'm up to it.

Having written that line in the wiki based on my expectation at the
time and not tested it, I'd wonder if installing in /usr/local vs.
the build directory is the expected behavior or not.  I don't recall
at the moment *why* I expected /usr/local to be the destination, but
I'll try to see if I can find such resources tomorrow or Tuesday if
no one else chimes in.

Incidentally, rebuilding and moving should just involve running make
distclean followed by that build line, e.g.

$ make distclean ; ./autogen.sh ; ./configure --with-g-wrap-prefix=/
sw --prefix=/usr/local/ --enable-compile-warnings ; make ; sudo make
install

Then wait a bit (or quite a while, as the case may be) and you should
have gnucash installed under /usr/local.  I'm pretty confident on
this step, as I goofed the first time around and had to recompile to
put it where I wanted.

Thanks for providing the feedback on the wiki instructions; that's
quite helpful, as no single setup is going to accurately represent
all of the actual variations in  the wild.

--Kevin

Re: Installing GnuCash 2.0 on Mac OS X

BelieveNada
Andre,