Importing a big OFX

Andrea Carpani
Hi everybody,

sorry if this one is a FAQ or a well known behavior: I'm still new to
gnucash and I'm still learning how to use it.

I'd like to import quite a big OFX from my bank into Gnucash. During the
import I'm asked to "balance" each transactions, but there are 300 of
them...

Most of these transactions are of the same kind (car fuel, food, and so
on): is it possible to select a bunch of transactions (wit a search
filter view  or something like that) and assign all of them at the same
time?

Maybe theres an "Import OFX" tutorial somewhere?

Thanks.

--
Andrea Carpani <[hidden email]>

Re: Importing a big OFX

Derek Atkins
Andrea Carpani <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi everybody,
>
> sorry if this one is a FAQ or a well known behavior: I'm still new to
> gnucash and I'm still learning how to use it.
>
> I'd like to import quite a big OFX from my bank into Gnucash. During the
> import I'm asked to "balance" each transactions, but there are 300 of
> them...
>
> Most of these transactions are of the same kind (car fuel, food, and so
> on): is it possible to select a bunch of transactions (wit a search
> filter view  or something like that) and assign all of them at the same
> time?

Nope, you have to assign them one at a time.  HOWEVER, as you go through
and assign them, the system learns your matches and will auto-assign
as you move forward.

> Maybe theres an "Import OFX" tutorial somewhere?
>
> Thanks.

Re: Importing a big OFX

Andrea Carpani
On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 10:26 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> > Most of these transactions are of the same kind (car fuel, food, and so
> > on): is it possible to select a bunch of transactions (wit a search
> > filter view  or something like that) and assign all of them at the same
> > time?
> Nope, you have to assign them one at a time.  HOWEVER, as you go through
> and assign them, the system learns your matches and will auto-assign
> as you move forward.

There's a problem in that most of the transactions have same Description
and different Memo fields: Memo is what really makes the difference as
Description is only used to identify the type of card used for the
expenses.

Is it possible to tell gnucash (while importing) that the Memo field is
the important one?

Quoting Andrea Carpani <[hidden email]>:

> There's a problem in that most of the transactions have same Description
> and different Memo fields: Memo is what really makes the difference as
> Description is only used to identify the type of card used for the
> expenses.

This isn't a problem for GnuCash.

> Is it possible to tell gnucash (while importing) that the Memo field is
> the important one?

It already uses both..  It will quickly realize that the description token is
irrelevant and the memo token is what matters.  Just make sure you have
the "Use Bayesian Matching" option turned on in your preferences.

On Tue, 2006-05-23 at 12:52 -0400, Derek Atkins wrote:

> > Is it possible to tell gnucash (while importing) that the Memo field is
> > the important one?
> It already uses both..  It will quickly realize that the description token is
> irrelevant and the memo token is what matters.  Just make sure you have
> the "Use Bayesian Matching" option turned on in your preferences.

Ok, I'm starting to get a grasp of it. I've got another question: as
soon as I change the first transaction gnucash makes guesses on most of
the other lines. I, then, refine this by updating following lines
following the temporal timeline.

Does gnucash ever change the transactions that I have set?

--
Andrea Carpani <[hidden email]>

Re: Importing a big OFX

Derek Atkins
Andrea Carpani <[hidden email]> writes:

> Does gnucash ever change the transactions that I have set?

No.