Importing OFX/QFX file for placeholder account with multiple sub-accounts

Importing OFX/QFX file for placeholder account with multiple sub-accounts

woolfie
I have my Assets:Chequing account set as a placeholder account, with
multiple sub-accounts where I track my actual saving/spending/etc.

At the bank end, I just have a single chequing account (they don't
support virtual sub-accounts).

When importing a OFX/QFX file for Assets:Chequing, it only prompts me
for source of the transaction and proceeds to write the transaction
into the (read only) chequing account.

I then have to go through each transaction in the chequing account,
jump to the other account which holds the other half of the
transaction and 'fix' it there, pointing it to the correct
Asset:Chequing:SubAccount.

Is this something that is expanded in a future version, or am I
missing something here (entirely possible)?

(I'm using gnucash 2.0.5 on Debian)

Cheers,

 Iain

Re: Importing OFX/QFX file for placeholder account with multiple sub-accounts

Derek Atkins
Unfortunately there's no good way of doing what you want.  The
importers (ALL of them) just don't match well with your style of
bucket budgeting.  Sorry.

-derek

On 7/11/07, Derek Atkins <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Unfortunately there's no good way of doing what you want.  The
> importers (ALL of them) just don't match well with your style of
> bucket budgeting.  Sorry.

OK, knowing that the functionality isn't there provides some level of
satisfaction. At least now I know it's not just something I haven't
yet uncovered.

I have found that switching to transaction view means I have to do
less jumping about, since I can edit both ends of the transaction in
one place.

You other folks that use virtual/sub accounts, how do you do it?

Cheers,

 Iain

Re: Importing OFX/QFX file for placeholder account with multiple sub-accounts

Keith Bellairs
Iain,

Are you missing the double-entry bookkeeping model that gnucash uses?
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-entry_book-keeping )
Your various categories of expenses are not subaccounts of your
checking. They are "expense" accounts. When you record a check in
gnucash you show the checking account that the funds came from and a
separate account for the expense (phone bill, etc.) that is being paid.

The QIF and QFX/OFX importers learn (pretty well) after a while that a
check to Rogers Cable goes against my account for cable expenses. So a
transaction is generated during the import to "credit" checking and
"debit" cable. There are some rough spots, but it works.

So after a while my checking account shows my current balance and my
various expenses are each in an appropriate bucket (account). My
savings/income work the same way, except that I debit checking and
credit income.

Sorry if I am missing the point, but double-entry is key to using
gnucash and to good accounting practices.

Keith