Importing Memo data via QIF

Thomas Young
I have been unable to import data in the M field using QIF import.
Everything else imports OK, but the Memo data does not import. How do I
import the Memo field data using QIF import?

Re: Importing Memo data via QIF

Jeffrey Black
Thomas Young wrote
I have been unable to import data in the M field using QIF import.
Everything else imports OK, but the Memo data does not import. How do I
import the Memo field data using QIF import?

Thomas:

I am no expert on this but; despite what the documentation says on QIF format files the order of the fields is important.  Especially if you use split transactions.  I learned that the hard way converting CSV files to QIF.  If you have one from your financial institution that you can look at with a text editor a simple QIF file will make more sense.  Oh, and the first few lines of the file have to tell what kind of account we are dealing with.  Shortest might be:

!Type:Bank

Without seeing a sample of your file it is hard to say what the problem is.  First go up to the menu and select View then either Auto-split or Transaction journal.  Select one of the records you imported and see if the memo is showing up any place you did not expect it to.

If it is not using split transactions then the only problem I ran into was to make sure the "M" was the last field before the "^" record separator.

If the file is using split transactions then the "M" must occur before the splits.  In the files I have "M" is before the first split "L".  The memo for a split is "E" and must immediately follow the "L" category and "S" categories respectively.

--JEffrey

Re: Importing Memo data via QIF

Derek Atkins-3

On Tue, August 8, 2017 12:35 am, Thomas Young wrote:
> I have been unable to import data in the M field using QIF import.
> Everything else imports OK, but the Memo data does not import. How do I
> import the Memo field data using QIF import?

I presume your QIF has both P (Payee) and M (Memo) fields filled in in the
same transaction?  If not, Memo gets promoted to Payee.

If you have BOTH, then the importer will put the Payee field in the
Description, and the Memo field in the *transaction Notes* field.  The
notes field is only visible if you turn on Double Line Mode (View ->
Double Line Mode).  Did you check there?

       Derek Atkins                 617-623-3745

Re: Importing Memo data via QIF

Thomas Young
Hi Derek

That did it. I was unaware of two line view mode as something different
from splits.

Thanks
Thomas