How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello,

i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.

My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.

The description line i import contains all the information i need but
its not copied to either the A/R nor the relating sales account.

I would like to have the same information i set in the description field
of the invoice also being set in the description of the refering entry
in the sales account.

So, is there ANY beside changing the gnucash source to achieve this?
Maybe by having a script using the database, selecting the description
text from the invoice table and then update the corresponding entry for
the sales account using the (uniq) invoice number?

cheers & Thanx for the great software,

   Arnd

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans-3
On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
> which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.
>
> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.
>
> The description line i import contains all the information i need but
> its not copied to either the A/R nor the relating sales account.
>
> I would like to have the same information i set in the description field
> of the invoice also being set in the description of the refering entry
> in the sales account.
>
> So, is there ANY beside changing the gnucash source to achieve this?
> Maybe by having a script using the database, selecting the description
> text from the invoice table and then update the corresponding entry for
> the sales account using the (uniq) invoice number?
>
> cheers & Thanx for the great software,
>
>    Arnd

Hello

The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills, if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:

bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO HERE", True, False)

There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.

I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.

https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello Mike,

thanx for the help. My cvs exporter populates the memo field. I just did
start an import to double check this. The importer is showing a
populated memo field in the preview but the memo field in the A/R
account and description in the sales account are both empty.

I am using "GnuCash 2.6.1 (This copy was built from rev 76cba80+ on
2014-02-19)" because i cant get the latest version compiled on ubuntu. I
did follow the wiki for  ubuntu 14.04 but configure always bails out
with "error: guile-config required but not found"

And guile config doesnt seem to be included in debian/ubuntu since quite
some time and i have no idea how to work around this.

cheers,

   Arnd

On 07.09.2014 16:58, Mike Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
> Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
>> which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.
>>
>> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
>> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
>> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
>> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.
>>
>> The description line i import contains all the information i need but
>> its not copied to either the A/R nor the relating sales account.
>>
>> I would like to have the same information i set in the description field
>> of the invoice also being set in the description of the refering entry
>> in the sales account.
>>
>> So, is there ANY beside changing the gnucash source to achieve this?
>> Maybe by having a script using the database, selecting the description
>> text from the invoice table and then update the corresponding entry for
>> the sales account using the (uniq) invoice number?
>>
>> cheers & Thanx for the great software,
>>
>>     Arnd
>
> Hello
>
> The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
> I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills, if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:
>
> bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO HERE", True, False)
>
> There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.
>
> I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.
>
> https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
> Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.
>
> Mike Evans

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Colin Law
On 7 September 2014 11:33, Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> thanx for the help. My cvs exporter populates the memo field. I just did
> start an import to double check this. The importer is showing a populated
> memo field in the preview but the memo field in the A/R account and
> description in the sales account are both empty.
>
> I am using "GnuCash 2.6.1 (This copy was built from rev 76cba80+ on
> 2014-02-19)" because i cant get the latest version compiled on ubuntu. I did
> follow the wiki for  ubuntu 14.04 but configure always bails out with
> "error: guile-config required but not found"

I assume it is 2.6.3 that you are trying to build, not the actual
latest code.  I had no trouble building 2.6.3 on 14.04 after
sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash
sudo apt-get install libdbd-{sqlite3,pgsql,mysql}  (as appropriate, if
using a database)
and for building from the tar file
sudo apt-get install swig
I did have to disable some errors when compiling, using
../configure --prefix=/path/to/install/to/gnucash
--enable-compile-warnings --with-html-engine=webkit
--disable-error-on-warning

Colin

> And guile config doesnt seem to be included in debian/ubuntu since quite
> some time and i have no idea how to work around this.
>
> cheers,
>
>   Arnd
>
> On 07.09.2014 16:58, Mike Evans wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
>> Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>>
>>> i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
>>> which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.
>>>
>>> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
>>> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
>>> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
>>> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.
>>>
>>> The description line i import contains all the information i need but
>>> its not copied to either the A/R nor the relating sales account.
>>>
>>> I would like to have the same information i set in the description field
>>> of the invoice also being set in the description of the refering entry
>>> in the sales account.
>>>
>>> So, is there ANY beside changing the gnucash source to achieve this?
>>> Maybe by having a script using the database, selecting the description
>>> text from the invoice table and then update the corresponding entry for
>>> the sales account using the (uniq) invoice number?
>>>
>>> cheers & Thanx for the great software,
>>>
>>>     Arnd
>>

>> Hello
>>
>> The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
>> I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills,
>> if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:
>>
>> bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO
>> HERE", True, False)
>>
>> There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your
>> invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.
>>
>> I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.
>>
>> https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
>> Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.
>>
>> Mike Evans

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello Colin,

> I assume it is 2.6.3 that you are trying to build, not the actual
> latest code.

correct

> I had no trouble building 2.6.3 on 14.04 after
> sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash

this installs libguile-2.0 and libguile-2.0-dev, configure does work but
compiling doesnt.

Now the online instructions
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_.28Trusty_Tahr.29

"say" to purge guile 2.0 and replace it with 1.8 but it seems to forget
to tell you to install guile-1.8-dev too. After installing guile-1.8-dev
configure works and i just did successfully compile gnucash 2.6.3! Thanx.

So someone might want to change

"sudo apt-get install slib libgnomeui-common libgnomeui-dev guile-1.8
checkinstall"

"sudo apt-get install slib libgnomeui-common libgnomeui-dev guile-1.8
guile-1.8-dev checkinstall"

in the Wiki.

Anyone has an idea why the invoice import preview shows me a populated
Memo-field but the Memo-Field ends up beeing empty after an successfull
import? Maybe because it dont use the "Open imported invoices in Tab"
option because it would open up too many tabs?

And one question concerning the "account_posted" field. I assume if its
empty and you only have one account of type "Accounts Receivable" this
is automaticly used. So you only need to fill this field if you have
several accounst of type A/R. Correct?

In the python example this fieald is clearly empty:
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/python-import-invoices.html

On 8 September 2014 07:10, Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Colin,
>
>> I assume it is 2.6.3 that you are trying to build, not the actual
>> latest code.
>

> correct
>
>> I had no trouble building 2.6.3 on 14.04 after
>> sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash
>

> this installs libguile-2.0 and libguile-2.0-dev, configure does work but
> compiling doesnt.
>
> Now the online instructions
> http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Building#Ubuntu_14.04_LTS_.28Trusty_Tahr.29
>
> "say" to purge guile 2.0 and replace it with 1.8 but it seems to forget to
> tell you to install guile-1.8-dev too. After installing guile-1.8-dev
> configure works and i just did successfully compile gnucash 2.6.3! Thanx.
>
> So someone might want to change
>
> "sudo apt-get install slib libgnomeui-common libgnomeui-dev guile-1.8
> checkinstall"

> "sudo apt-get install slib libgnomeui-common libgnomeui-dev guile-1.8
> guile-1.8-dev checkinstall"
>
> in the Wiki.

Yes, you appear to be correct, I did not need to do that when I
originally built for 14.04 so something must have changed, or perhaps
I did not start from a fresh Ubuntu install.  I suggest you correct
the wiki yourself then you can take the glory(?) for finding the
solution.  The point about a wiki is that anyone can make
additions/corrections.

Colin

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans-3
On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:10:27 +0800
Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Anyone has an idea why the invoice import preview shows me a populated
> Memo-field but the Memo-Field ends up beeing empty after an successfull
> import? Maybe because it dont use the "Open imported invoices in Tab"
> option because it would open up too many tabs?
>
> And one question concerning the "account_posted" field. I assume if its
> empty and you only have one account of type "Accounts Receivable" this
> is automaticly used. So you only need to fill this field if you have
> several accounst of type A/R. Correct?
>
> In the python example this fieald is clearly empty:
> http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/python-import-invoices.html
>
> cheers,
>
>    Arnd

Arnd

I mis-read your original mail and though you had written an importer in
Python.  Having now read the rest of the thread I see the issue is with
importing csv created by your python program.

Have you set the fields, date_posted, due_date, account_posted as
well as memo_posted?  The importer will, or should, post the
invoice on import if these are set and this is when the memo field is
also set, if the invoices are not posted at the time of import the
memo_posted text has nowhere to go and is lost.  If on the other hand the invoice is
posted but the memo is empty then this is a bug and you should file a
bug at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash

However having just tested it, it works on my system.  Try the
following line to test the importer:

MEC-0172,,000013,,,,34-0655 > PROTOBLOC 2 BREADBOARD,ea,Expenses:Materials General,1,4.39,,,,no,,,,,Assets:Accounts Receivable,Memo,y

You will probably have to change some fields to suite your account
layout. Obviously don't use your production gnucash file.  After import
view Assets:Accounts Receivable in double line mode and you should see
"Memo" in the memo field.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans-3
On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 09:41:18 +0100
Mike Evans <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2014 14:10:27 +0800
> Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Anyone has an idea why the invoice import preview shows me a populated
> > Memo-field but the Memo-Field ends up beeing empty after an successfull
> > import? Maybe because it dont use the "Open imported invoices in Tab"
> > option because it would open up too many tabs?
> >
> > And one question concerning the "account_posted" field. I assume if its
> > empty and you only have one account of type "Accounts Receivable" this
> > is automaticly used. So you only need to fill this field if you have
> > several accounst of type A/R. Correct?
> >
> > In the python example this fieald is clearly empty:
> > http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/python-import-invoices.html
> >
> > cheers,
> >
> >    Arnd
>
> Arnd
>
> I mis-read your original mail and though you had written an importer in
> Python.  Having now read the rest of the thread I see the issue is with
> importing csv created by your python program.
>
> Have you set the fields, date_posted, due_date, account_posted as
> well as memo_posted?  The importer will, or should, post the
> invoice on import if these are set and this is when the memo field is
> also set, if the invoices are not posted at the time of import the
> memo_posted text has nowhere to go and is lost.  If on the other hand the invoice is
> posted but the memo is empty then this is a bug and you should file a
> bug at https://bugzilla.gnome.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=GnuCash
>
> However having just tested it, it works on my system.  Try the
> following line to test the importer:
>
> MEC-0172,,000013,,,,34-0655 > PROTOBLOC 2 BREADBOARD,ea,Expenses:Materials General,1,4.39,,,,no,,,,,Assets:Accounts Receivable,Memo,y
>
> You will probably have to change some fields to suite your account
> layout. Obviously don't use your production gnucash file.  After import
> view Assets:Accounts Receivable in double line mode and you should see
> "Memo" in the memo field.

I forgot mention that for multi-line invoices it's the last line of that invoice that determines whether the invoice is posted.  I need to update the guide it seems.

Mike Evans

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello Colin,

> Yes, you appear to be correct, I did not need to do that when I
> originally built for 14.04 so something must have changed, or perhaps
> I did not start from a fresh Ubuntu install.  I suggest you correct
> the wiki yourself then you can take the glory(?)

done.

> for finding the
> solution.  The point about a wiki is that anyone can make
> additions/corrections.

Yeah, i know. Its just that you have to create a new login for everyone
of them....

Mike Evans <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
> Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> i did write myself a python script for mass importing/creating invoices
>> which results in entries being created in Accounts Receivable.
>>
>> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
>> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
>> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
>> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.

I don't understand this.  Why can't you create customers?

Build error with guile2 on ubuntu 14.04 (Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices)

Geert Janssens
On Monday 08 September 2014 14:10:27 Arnd Vehling wrote:

> Hello Colin,
>
> > I assume it is 2.6.3 that you are trying to build, not the actual
> > latest code.
>
> correct
>
> > I had no trouble building 2.6.3 on 14.04 after
> > sudo apt-get build-dep gnucash
>
> this installs libguile-2.0 and libguile-2.0-dev, configure does work
> but compiling doesnt.

This is a slight side track from your original question:

What error did you get when trying to build against guile 2 ?

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hi Derek,

>>> My problem now is that the entries in Accounts Receivable and in the
>>> relating sales account only contain the invoice number and the customer
>>> name. As i cant auto-create customers i use a generic name for nearly
>>> all customers. So its really hard to figure out who payed what.
>
> I don't understand this.  Why can't you create customers?

sorry, i can, but it doesnt make a lot sense for me as less than 10% of
the customers get more than one invoice.

I would rather like to have the memo-field and the description field
populated with the relating information as i need more than the customer
name and invoice-number anyway. Should i try a different gnucash
version? As i said, the memo field is populated in the importers preview
table but doesnt end up in accounts receivable.

cheers,

   Arnd

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans-3
On Tue, 09 Sep 2014 06:45:47 +0800
Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Derek,

> > I don't understand this.  Why can't you create customers?
>
> sorry, i can, but it doesnt make a lot sense for me as less than 10% of
> the customers get more than one invoice.
>
> I would rather like to have the memo-field and the description field
> populated with the relating information as i need more than the customer
> name and invoice-number anyway. Should i try a different gnucash
> version? As i said, the memo field is populated in the importers preview
> table but doesnt end up in accounts receivable.
>
> cheers,
>
>    Arnd

 Did you read my reply yesterday concerning this?

Mike E

--
Anti NSA?  Use PGP.
http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x00CDB13500D7AB53

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hi Mike,

>   Did you read my reply yesterday concerning this?

yes, and i already said that i can import/create customers. Sorry, but i
did overlook the import customer feature initially.

I am now using the home-compiled 2.6.3 version now with guile-1.8
instead of the stock ubuntu 14.04 version. Is guile-1.8 ok/recommended?

Now a general question for importing invoices.
http://www.gnucash.org/docs/v2.4/C/gnucash-guide/python-import-invoices.html#python-

Citation:
---
17.1.1. Notes for Python authors

In order for the import to succeed the number of fields must be adhered
to, so the trailing commas are important.

A complete list of the required fields is:

id, date_opened, owner_id, billingid, notes, date, desc, action,
account, quantity, price, disc_type, disc_how, discount, taxable,
taxincluded, tax_table, date_posted, due_date, account_posted,
memo_posted, accu_splits,
        Note

Mind the trailing comma. <= (!)
---

If i use ";" as seperator and add one ";" to the end of an import line
(after 22 values/fields) the import fails. Did the import format change
from 2.4 to 2.6?

I tried "," and ";" as separator so far and both only works partially.
Means not all fields get imported ALSO they are shown correctly in the
preview.

Heres an example of my generated import data:
--
80;;GUEST;80;03.09.14-17.09.14:Custname1:07-01;29.04.2014;03.09.14-17.09.14:Custname1:07-01;Rental;Income:Rentals;1;382,0;$;=;0;;;;;03.09.2014;;03.09.14-17.09.14:Custname1:07-01;
82;;GUEST;82;28.08.14-18.09.14:Custname2:03-01;02.05.2014;28.08.14-18.09.14:Custname2:03-01;Rental;Income:Rentals;1;765,0;$;=;0;;;;;28.08.2014;;28.08.14-18.09.14:Custname2

For convenience i did attach this as text/csv file. See below.

If an import generates errors, is there some way to check which errors
did occur? I do get a report of 5 Fixes if i import this?!

cheers,

   Arnd

invoice-exa.csv (913 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: Build error with guile2 on ubuntu 14.04 (Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices)

Arnd Vehling
Hello,

On 09.09.2014 00:42, Geert Janssens wrote:
 > What error did you get when trying to build against guile 2 ?

i will check as soon as have the invoice import working because i have
to change the guile lib and guile-dev package version for recompiling
and i am not sure how this affects my imports.

On Wednesday 10 September 2014 08:21:57 Arnd Vehling wrote:

> Hi Mike,
>
> >   Did you read my reply yesterday concerning this?
>
> yes, and i already said that i can import/create customers. Sorry, but
> i did overlook the import customer feature initially.
>
> I am now using the home-compiled 2.6.3 version now with guile-1.8
> instead of the stock ubuntu 14.04 version. Is guile-1.8
> ok/recommended?

Yes, gnucash with guile-1.8 is fully supported.

The guile maintainers have dropped support for guile 1.8 though, so at some point it would
be better to migrate to a more recent version. That's also why I was inquiring to the issues
you had with guile 2. It's not urgent though.

For the import part, I'll have to pass the question to others. I have no experience with it.

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello Mike,

i had 2 mails from you ending up in my "second spamfolder" which i
scanned today.

I did experiment with the import like 10 more times now and i am sure
that the importer is partially broken OR my home-compiled gnucash 2.6.3
is broken. I suspect the latter though.

The importer definitely "has problems". It doesnt verify the format of
import fields versus the formats configured in gnucash.

If i try to import an cash value/number like "151.10" ("," is delimiter)
but ive configured a number format of "###,##", i.e. "151,1" (";" is
delimiter) i can import it but the "Price" field will be empty after
import.

There should at least be a warning of the format of the "Price" field
beeing wrong OR it shouldnt be displayed in the import preview! I did
create a complete new account-chart setup with the wizard but i havent
been able to correctly import and auto-post anything.

Therefore i know want to try to use python to directly import the data
into gnucash without using the import module.

which code would be best to use as an reference which is known to work?

On 07.09.2014 16:58, Mike Evans wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 12:05:41 +0800
> The Memo field can be set when posting the invoice to the A/R account.
> I have some Python for parsing my ebay mails and creating invoices/bills, if I post the bill/invoice in Python I have:
>
> bill.PostToAccount(payable_account, bill_date, bill_date, "MEMO NOTES GO HERE", True, False)
>
> There is only one Memo field and there may be multiple lines in your invoice, you'd have to choose one or concatenate them I suppose.
>
> I also auto-create customers/vendors from the ebay mail.
>
> https://github.com/EvansMike/pycash/tree/master/ebay2gnuCash
> Note: The code there is a little out of date and quite possibly broken.

thx,

   Arnd

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Arnd Vehling
Hello Mike and thx again for your support,

On 08.09.2014 16:41, Mike Evans wrote:
> I mis-read your original mail and though you had written an importer in
> Python.  Having now read the rest of the thread I see the issue is with
> importing csv created by your python program.
>
> Have you set the fields, date_posted, due_date, account_posted as
> well as memo_posted?

i initially had date_posted empty because i assumed that it would set to
the current date if empty but i have it set since a couple of days now.

> However having just tested it, it works on my system.  Try the
> following line to test the importer:
>
> MEC-0172,,000013,,,,34-0655 > PROTOBLOC 2 BREADBOARD,ea,Expenses:Materials General,1,4.39,,,,no,,,,,Assets:Accounts Receivable,Memo,y

i had to change 2 fields (Cust-ID and Price), did create
"Expenses:Materials General", then i did import this:
--
MEC-0172,,GUEST,,,,34-0655 > PROTOBLOC 2
BREADBOARD,ea,Expenses:Materials General,1,5,,,,no,,,,,Assets:Accounts

I get "1 Lines imported, 1 fixes, 0 ignored, 1 created"

Question: If i import to "Expenses:Something", shouldnt the  Post-To
Account be "Liabilities:Accounts Payable" and if i sell something going
to "Assets:Accounts Receivable"?

> You will probably have to change some fields to suite your account
> layout. Obviously don't use your production gnucash file.

I am working on a brand new test-account-template created with the
wizard, 3 customers and 1 vendor. After one import i reload the template
again and restart with empty accounts.

> After import
> view Assets:Accounts Receivable in double line mode and you should see
> "Memo" in the memo field.

Its set now. Importing this works:
--
104;19/06/2014;GUEST;;;19/06/2014;Room
Rent;;Income:Rentals;1;891,23;;;;y;;;19/06/2014;26/06/2014;Assets:Accounts

thank you for your help!

cheers,

   Arnd

Re: How to set Description on A/R when importing invoices

Mike Evans-3
Hello Arnd

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 12:00:29 +0800
Arnd Vehling <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello Mike,
>
> i had 2 mails from you ending up in my "second spamfolder" which i
> scanned today.
>
> I did experiment with the import like 10 more times now and i am sure
> that the importer is partially broken OR my home-compiled gnucash 2.6.3
> is broken. I suspect the latter though.
Very likely broken for your use-case.

> The importer definitely "has problems". It doesnt verify the format of
> import fields versus the formats configured in gnucash.
Correct.

> If i try to import an cash value/number like "151.10" ("," is delimiter)
> but ive configured a number format of "###,##", i.e. "151,1" (";" is
> delimiter) i can import it but the "Price" field will be empty after
> import.

The importer probably assumes that numbers user dot for decimal and
doesn't know anything about locale settings.

I have no plans to improve the importer further than "It works for
me", time and money are limited.  The relevant files are:

src/plugins/bi-import/dialog-bi-import-gui.c the gui part that
contains overly long regexes for matching and assigning the import
fields.  There is no format checking in there, which is where it would
need to be to flag up malformed input.

src/plugins/bi-import/dialog-bi-import.c The function gnc_bi_import_fix_bis()
deals with what checking there is. There is no check, or fix, for
number formats in there as far as I can see.  This function is far too
long and could stand substantial refactoring.  Also since we are moving
to C++ that should probably be done too. :)

> There should at least be a warning of the format of the "Price" field
> beeing wrong OR it shouldnt be displayed in the import preview! I did
> create a complete new account-chart setup with the wizard but i havent
> been able to correctly import and auto-post anything.

It should really be checked and repaired in gnc_bi_import_fix_bis().

The source is open, please feel free to add patches to fix the issue.
You probably should file a bug, or several, for each of the problems
you are experiencing and add ant patches and further comments you have
in the relevant bug report.

The link I posted will have some more code soon for importing ebay
mails as invoices, I'm still testing and writing it though so I may be
a while. It will probably only work for (real) English and will break as
soon as ebay change their email format.  Again it's written with a
"works for me" caveat and I put it on GitHub as a source for for others
to take/borrow/steal as a base for their particular use-case, not as a
finished application.

I'm sorry the importer doesn't for you, but I have limited resources to
test for all use-cases.  The code is there to be improved by anyone
sufficiently motivated to do so.

Mike Evans