How to find/delete/convert all split transactions?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
3 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

How to find/delete/convert all split transactions?

Oon-Ee Ng
Hi all,

I've been using gnucash for a long while now (oldest imported
transactions are from 2008, original import was done somewhere in 2010
or so), so I've built up quite a bit of financial data (personal for
my family, not business data) through manual entry.

In recent months I've gotten quite frustrated with the manual entry
process, in particular because I do it twice (initial entry on mine
and/or wife's phones followed by copying that data manually to
gnucash). I tried the GnuCash android app, but that was a real
headache because I still had to manually export files and import them
to gnucash.

Anyway, because of that I want to try out an alternative (MMEX, at
this point), but to do that I've got to export my transactions
properly.

The qif convertor (3rd party) seems to work pretty well, as far as I
can tell, but MMEX can't handle split transactions at all (it really
chokes on them). CSV export, again MMEX doesn't handle the imports for
this well as transfers between accounts are lost.

I think I can hack something together with QIF export if I could just
remove/replace all split transactions I've ever entered over the
years. Is there a way to search only for split transactions or in some
way isolate them? Doesn't look like the main UI can do it, so perhaps
another app which accesses the same data?

So to summarize, my question is about replacing splits, and the reason
is because I can't find a convenient way to use gnucash from my
smartphone.

Thanks all.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find/delete/convert all split transactions?

Wm...
Thu, 30 Jul 2015 10:28:38
<[hidden email]>
Oon-Ee Ng <[hidden email]> wrote...

>Hi all,
>
>I've been using gnucash for a long while now (oldest imported
>transactions are from 2008, original import was done somewhere in 2010
>or so), so I've built up quite a bit of financial data (personal for
>my family, not business data) through manual entry.
>
>In recent months I've gotten quite frustrated with the manual entry
>process, in particular because I do it twice (initial entry on mine
>and/or wife's phones followed by copying that data manually to
>gnucash). I tried the GnuCash android app, but that was a real
>headache because I still had to manually export files and import them
>to gnucash.

Have you considered that the record of entry might be the problem?
Probably not :(

>Anyway, because of that I want to try out an alternative (MMEX, at
>this point), but to do that I've got to export my transactions
>properly.

do you mean
===
http://www.moneymanagerex.org/
===
if so you must understand that it is very different to gnc.

I wouldn't call it accounting software.

It is a great product [1] and I follow the forums and the software, so I
am not negative about it.  I just want to make sure you know the
difference.

>The qif convertor (3rd party) seems to work pretty well, as far as I
>can tell, but MMEX can't handle split transactions at all (it really
>chokes on them). CSV export, again MMEX doesn't handle the imports for
>this well as transfers between accounts are lost.

I've played with MMEX <--> gnc more than once, the limit is MMEX not
understanding non-trivial transactions.

I'm going to be firm now: THIS IS AN MMEX PROBLEM, yeah, I shouted.

>I think I can hack something together with QIF export if I could just
>remove/replace all split transactions I've ever entered over the
>years.

MMEX still duplicates and replicates, you are welcome to try but even
with correctly formatted files it goes wrong.  The MM£X forums are your
best bet, it has been raised there before but don't expect anything
soon.  They don't do double entry accounting so your exported gnc
transaction makes no sense to them.

Fact: if you go from a double entry system to a single leg one you
*must* lose something.  If you are happy with that, be my guest.

> Is there a way to search only for split transactions or in some
>way isolate them? Doesn't look like the main UI can do it, so perhaps
>another app which accesses the same data?

It won't help, MMEX (because it doesn't do double entry) duplicates and
you'll end up doing it by hand unless it is really simple.

[1] it has a really nice sql report writer that I've thought of
borrowing for gnc sql

>So to summarize, my question is about replacing splits, and the reason
>is because I can't find a convenient way to use gnucash from my
>smartphone.

Heh, y'know double entry isn't only the correct but also the honest to
yourself way? :)

I suggest you try MMEX standalone for a month or so and put the tx back
into gnc.  It as lots of pretty stuff but balancing end of month is not
its forte.

So your question to yourself should be, "am I saving time long term by
using this other app?"

--
Wm...

_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: How to find/delete/convert all split transactions?

Oon-Ee Ng
Hey, thanks for the reply.

On Fri, Jul 31, 2015 at 5:22 AM, Wm... <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In recent months I've gotten quite frustrated with the manual entry
>> process, in particular because I do it twice (initial entry on mine
>> and/or wife's phones followed by copying that data manually to
>> gnucash). I tried the GnuCash android app, but that was a real
>> headache because I still had to manually export files and import them
>> to gnucash.
> Have you considered that the record of entry might be the problem? Probably
> not :(
Apologies, perhaps my language skills are not up to par, but what does
'record of entry' mean in this context?

> if so you must understand that it is very different to gnc.
>
> I wouldn't call it accounting software.
>
> It is a great product [1] and I follow the forums and the software, so I am
> not negative about it.  I just want to make sure you know the difference.
Agreed, it isn't accounting software in the same way as gnucash, and
I'm not (I think) expecting it to be. While gnucash is good for my
OCD, my primary goals as a user are to have a record of transactions
for budgeting purposes. There's no easy way in gnucash to show my wife
that, hey, we're this far into our vacation budget this year etc. etc.
I believe MMEX will serve better for this use-case.

> I'm going to be firm now: THIS IS AN MMEX PROBLEM, yeah, I shouted.
I know the fault tends to be with the importing app, but:-
a) I've already asked over there, and figured out the current state of things
b) Without a complete overhaul of their CSV import system (the one I'd
find easier to use because CSV is so easily hackable in python for
example) I don't see things getting better
c) Gnucash is more functional, hence I consider it a better bet I can
modify how gnucash exports the data than how MMEX imports it.

> Fact: if you go from a double entry system to a single leg one you *must*
> lose something.  If you are happy with that, be my guest.

I know, I've tried, hence the question in this email

>> Is there a way to search only for split transactions or in some
>> way isolate them? Doesn't look like the main UI can do it, so perhaps
>> another app which accesses the same data?
>
> It won't help, MMEX (because it doesn't do double entry) duplicates and
> you'll end up doing it by hand unless it is really simple.

I'm afraid of that, based on my testing so far. Hence I'm looking for
ways to automate that process.

> Heh, y'know double entry isn't only the correct but also the honest to
> yourself way? :)
>
> I suggest you try MMEX standalone for a month or so and put the tx back into
> gnc.  It as lots of pretty stuff but balancing end of month is not its
> forte.
>
> So your question to yourself should be, "am I saving time long term by using
> this other app?"

A fair question, but its a bit chicken-and-egg.

If I can't get my current transactions (at least for the last few
months) into it I wouldn't use it even for testing, I have too much
that I might miss and it would not be a fair test. Things like
outstanding money I owe, future payments I need to remember, etc.

And if I need to hand-modify anything, then no it doesn't save time at
all. I can't even test whether it would long-term, I know it would
waste me lots of time RIGHT NOW.

Actually, ideally, it would be great to have a functional Android app
which could work on gnucash's data. The current Gnucash Android app is
merely okay, and the fact it does not work on the same XML file makes
it no better than any other record entry app in my opinion.
_______________________________________________
gnucash-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.gnucash.org/mailman/listinfo/gnucash-user
-----
Please remember to CC this list on all your replies.
You can do this by using Reply-To-List or Reply-All.